[SE] puddle-jumpin'
Open!

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Socks Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
"We don't know," they replied. "But I don't think she did anything wrong. I think she just always had magic and didn't know about it. She was helping around the farm, she was haggling with the merchants, she didn't need magic for any of that. I'm honestly kind of glad she has it, because she would have died without it. Y'see, the Fiat Lux Festival this year... uh..." They paused, thinking; they wanted to sum it up quickly, which was not something they were good at. "Well, bad things happened, and anyway, there was a shard of ice coming right at her. Probably would've pierced her heart. She threw her hands out and redirected it with a shot of air, so it hit her shoulder instead. And that was the first time she knew she had it. She'd be dead without that magic, so even though it's kind of thrown her whole life sideways, at least she still has her life."

Quanil's eyebrows went up. "You don't know Provost Jigano Silversmith?! Oh, he's an amazing man! He's kind and smart and he just wants to help everyone! He started the Loreseekers' Guild to help people, in fact!" Their whole face was alight with hero worship, and they weren't even trying to hide it. (Not that they were good at hiding things anyway.)

They beamed at Miss Morgan's acknowledgement of their staff, but they did have to admit, "Well, I'm still learning." When she gave her title, they nodded quickly in acknowledgement. "I will. Uh, get warmer clothing, I meant, because obviously I'll freeze in Halo if that's what you wear there," with a nod towards her clothes, "but I really want to visit Halo sometime. And it's an honor to meet the Captain of the Guard." They didn't really know what the Citadel was, but that was always an important and honorable position to hold.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan had seen a report on the Fiat Lux disaster in the Hollowed Grounds appear at her desk at one point, but she had not read it particularly closely once it seemed that it would not affect her own work and life; still, she knew enough to know what Quanil spoke of. "That you did not learn enough farming skills to make a living and your sister has not discovered her magic until now makes me wonder what you were doing up until this point." She said bluntly, though it appeared to be more of a monotone assessment than a criticism as such.

As for Jigano... "...This kind of worship is not healthy. He will have flaws. The man will pick his nose and yell in frustration and have regrets." Her own father had been her hero, but Morgan had no problems admitting his problems: he had been too prone to indulgences, drink and women (hence her birth), had been too idealistic - his desire to turn even the vilest of criminals into honest men was really what had killed him.

She just nodded to Quanil's travel plans, thinking if the teen did try to go to Halo now they most certainly would die, to the cold or an Ursur or...well, anything, really.

Well I guess it's only life, it's only natural
We all spend a little while going down the rabbit hole

Age: 24 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Well, it isn't so much that we didn't learn farming. More like... our parents don't really want us on the farm. Uh. Anymore." They cleared their throat. "Freina didn't have any need of air magic before and... well, we're just on our own now." And then they added, squaring their shoulders and lifting their chin, "And we're doing very well on our own, I think. Besides, our younger brother can inherit the farm now, and there won't be any squabbling." Not that Kedran would ever have argued with Freina about it (and they certainly hadn't an interest in it). But they knew that some families fell all to pieces when the kids fought over the inheritance, and they thought it'd show Captain Morgan that it was good that they weren't all farmers.

They merely shrugged at the captain's opinion that they shouldn't hero-worship the provost. "I know, I know. You're not the first one to say so. But everyone has flaws and everyone has regrets. It doesn't mean he's not a good man - a great man! And the more I get to know him, the more I know becoming a Loreseeker is not only what I want to do with my life, it's a great and noble thing to do!" They beamed proudly.

"I know you might not think so. And that's okay. But I know, deep down in the very core of my being, that this is what I want to do with my life. You must know that feeling, too, right? That feeling that says 'I'm exactly where I need to be'?"
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
MORGAN

Quanil finally stood up for themselves a little and Morgan nodded, respecting the slight showing of a backbone. "Then I hope your brother does well with it." Personally, she'd find inheriting a farm horrendously boring, but she supposed her inheritance of the Guard Captain position might not appeal to others.

The young Loreseeker seemed determined to praise this Jigano man and Morgan left it, having never met the man and unsure as to if he was deserving of the talk or not. "I do not know where I am meant to be. Only that I try the best in the place I have found myself within." While she was a believer in things like destiny, Morgan also didn't believe she could ever know when she was acting within it's wishes.

She glanced again into the puddle, the older her on the battlefield. "...I just wish I could know more about this image. Who we are fighting and when."

Change author:
They were a little sad to hear the captain say they didn't know where they were meant to be. Quanil thought that must be a terrible and confusing existence*. But what she said after that perked them back up. "That's very good! I'm going to remember that: try the best in the place you find yourself. That's very, very good! Thank you!"

They looked back to the puddle when she did. "Yeah, the puddles aren't very clear. I mean, about what they show. But if you're fighting in the future, I hope you win, captain."

((*yeah, thanks, Quanil. It really is. we can't all be Loreseekers))
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:
MORGAN

Morgan had not intended to inspire with her words and was surprised by Quanil's enthused reaction. "...You...are welcome." She said slowly, not sure if she'd just passed on wisdom to the young Loreseeker or not: they seemed rather impressionable, and she wasn't keen on having blood on her hands if Quanil took this as a sign to rush headfirst into a dungeon or whatever mission they had at hand.

"Thank you." She nodded at the well wishes and stood fully, looking out through the trees. "Well..there is work to be done in our current fight against the things with threaten Halo. I cannot spend all day gazing at the future...until later, then." Giving Quanil a perfunctory nod, she turned to leave.

Change author:
Quanil nodded and didn't stop the captain from leaving. "Good luck, Captain! Maybe I'll see you in Halo some day! And thank you for everything!"

They were happy to have met someone new, learned about Halo, and to have seen a hopeful future in the wonder puddle. They really, really hoped that was their future.

They continued on, enjoying their trip through the Greatwood, trying to hum along with the river's song.

{Finished}