[SE]Little drops of hope
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Mercedes Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Huginn, Muninn | See and Hear. | Whisper all | In Odin's ear.
Oliver’s reply was… less than reassuring. It implied that speaking with the local gods was not only expected, it was inevitable. As though, if Rance didn’t go to them on his own, they would come to him. Ominous. “Right. That’s relievin’, at least.” He tried not to sound as though a bit of dread hadn’t tried to creep down his spine.

Talk of their goals for the puddles was a lot easier to handle, even when it came to admitting his own ignorance. Hearing someone who looked younger than him and was — presumably — human speak as if he’d been through a lifetime to reach the point he was at had him arching a brow again, but who was he to judge? Especially another man who’d fallen out of his world and into another. There really was no telling what he’d gone through to get to where he was, no matter how easy his smile. And the confusion of not knowing where to go in life was one Rance was familiar with. “I wasn’t lookin’ further than a week ahead even when I knew what the road looked like. These days, I know approximately jack shit. Nice to know it won’t always be that way. Which I guess what all this is about, right?” He gestured ahead of them.

The wink had Rance chuckling, even if it didn’t really calm his nerves. Oliver knelt down by the puddle as if it were really just a pool of water. For that matter, it was entirely possible that the rumors were nothing more than that: rumors and fireside hearsay. “Good question.” Mentally berating himself for being scared about a damned puddle, Rance stepped up as well, crouching down beside Oliver and looking down. The still water mirrored back their reflections, shadowed and imperfect. “Can’t hurt, I guess….”

Before Rance could do more than think a question, he blinked and his reflection was gone. In its place stood the image of a naked man, back to him, dark hair and sun-kissed skin highlighted by firelight. The image started to turn and Rance, startled, blinked again.

The man was gone. Instead the water showed himself, furious, feathers and fur erupting and receding in dark waves over his arms. The image shouted at someone the real Rance couldn't see. Then he blinked again and it was only his reflection staring back at him, wide-eyed and shocked. “What… the actual fuck was that?”
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 22 - Int:
Played by: Oakley Offline
Change author:
MP: 700
and yes i've been changing. for me, not for you
Rance's statements were ones that Oliver absolutely understood and felt. "I mean, I'm still fucking around myself, honesty." It was said with a light tone, almost a laugh. It was the truth and Oliver didn't mind saying it bluntly. "You will learn more, trust me. It all takes time and as long as you aren't a complete dumbass, you'll be fine. I mean, hell, you seem fit enough to survive... so you'll be fine." Was that... a compliment? Oliver certainly thought Rance had the body to survive. He, on the otherhand, still looked like a skinny rail that someone could snap in half. Ouch.

Once the man moved down beside him, Oliver offered the man a small smile. While Rance was looking into the water, Oliver didn't dare to glance down. He wasn't sure what would happen. Would he be able to see what Rance was seeing? What if it impacted it? He didn't know the answers to any of his questions and chose to remain cautious, instead watching Rance. His facial expression morphed and Oliver grew concerned. Once the man finally spoke, Oliver's hand reached forward but didn't quite make contact. "Hey, are you okay? I'm here." Oliver tried to reassure the man as best as he could, hoping to let him know where they were and that he wasn't alone.
smile for the camera, it's just a shot in the dark
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Age: 33 | Height: 6' | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
“Thanks for the vote of confidence,” Rance flashed Oliver a crooked grin, voice briefly dropping to a near-purr. He tended to soak up compliments and he’d been called on the pride more than once before, though he never with enough force to stick. Especially not when he kept getting compliments.

The good mood had mostly faded by the time they were both by the puddle, peering into it. He honestly hadn’t expected to see anything. Had been completely prepared to laugh it off as a joke and maybe follow other lines of conversation. But instead of something to scoff at, the brief visions he was shown shook him more than he could have anticipated. It couldn’t have been more than a few seconds, not even a minute. He looked up at Oliver, eyes still wide. “Yeah… yeah, I’m okay. Just… wasn’t expecting that.” Rance felt goose-flesh chase up him arms and he rubbed at them while rocking back from his crouch the sit on the slightly damp ground.
Blacksmith

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
The way Rance responded was enough to make the faint blush return to Oliver's cheeks. The blonde proceeded to bite down on his lip and offer the man a raised eyebrow. "No problem. Only speaking the truth." While this wasn't the right place to be doing anything, that didn't mean Oliver couldn't try to flirt. Who knows, the manor wasn't too long of a walk away if things got to that level.

Rance's reaction to the puddle was alarming and Oliver made sure to watch him carefully. Once the man had responded, his shoulders visibly relaxed and he retracted his hand. "If you need anything, let me know, okay? I'm here and whatever you saw was just... a picture. It isn't happening right now, you're safe." Oliver wasn't going to deny that it could be true, he wasn't going to say that it was mere fantasy. That would be a complete lie.

Looking down at the puddle, Oliver was very wary about this whole puddle thing. Rance was practically terrified by whatever he saw. Hopefully it wouldn't be too bad?

Peering into the water, at first he only saw himself before it morphed into something else. Hot coals with a fire that roared with vigor. It was powerful, bright and only growing in intensity. Then it was snuffed out, only showing the smoke that escaped from it... and then it ended. Just like that, it was over. "What....?" His voice trailed off and he bit down on his lip, leaning in closer to the water. "That cant be it-" It was so vague. What was he supposed to make of that?!
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Safe, maybe, but what was safe in a future where he might be changing into something he was not? He’d seen many things from Jigano while the other man taught him about Ludo and the lanterns, but he’d assumed those changes were unique to the fox. Even a glimpse of something like that happening to him was disturbing to say the least. “Just a picture. Right. Not sproutin’ fur anytime soon.” He reached up and scrubbed his hands over his face.

He dropped them again when he saw Oliver lean forward. It was a little surreal, being on the side of the observer while knowing the puddles were more than just rainwater.  And whatever he saw left him distressed as well. No, not distressed… disbelieving? Seeking? His tone wasn’t afraid or shocked, but more… puzzled? “Vague and disturbin' for you, too?” He didn’t reach out, but he did lean forward, ready to catch Oliver’s eye when he looked Rance’s way.
Blacksmith

Change author:
The way Rance responded was... less than positive. "Take a breather and we can talk about it in a bit." Oliver didn't want to bombard Rance until the man was able to relax, potentially process the mental image a bit more. Oliver already had some ideas, but he'd talk about them in a bit.

And in a bit was whenever he finished with whatever the hell he saw. Leaning back, Rance spoke to him. Turning to look at the man, Oliver had scrunched eyebrows, clearly confused. "All I saw was fire... fire and hot coals... and then it was gone." Just like that. Sometimes so breath and with so many possibilities. "I think... I think I'll have to sleep on mine." And do some investigating. His mind was racing with ideas and it was overwhelming. Taking a deep breath, he finally was able to calm down... a bit.

"I... actually think I may know what you saw... or I may have some ideas." Maybe... maybe he had some ideas. "There's something that attuned individuals can eventually do.. which is partial shift. It's where you acquire a part of the animal side of you in this human form."
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Rance still wasn't sure he needed reassuring, but he accepted Oliver's promise to talk with a nod. It was probably a good thing that he got his own peek at the mysterious and vague imagery of the wonder puddles (which still sounded ridiculous to him), so that they could be equally confused, if nothing else.

He nodded again at the response to his query. "Shit, I don't blame you. Here's hoping it doesn't mean there's a forest fire we just haven't seen the smoke for yet." He huffed a near-soundless laugh that shook his shoulders.

Oliver's thoughts about Rance's own visions drew Rance's brows together in a frown.  "I... think I've seen that happen before to someone else. Fuck, that's normal for attuned?" And it was going to happen to him? Not that it was strange in a general sense, many shapeshifters manipulated their forms in the full range of animal to humanoid. But not his species. At least, not the species he used to be. 'That still doesn't explain the fuckin' fur, though. Was it a metaphor?"
Blacksmith

Change author:
There is the faintest of a smile on Oliver's face and he nods. "Yeah... lets hope it's you know... a metaphorical fire or some shit." It was something that he would absolutely sleep on for a bit. Though, there were so many small factors. There were hot coals, meaning this couldn't be a forest fire and it most likely also wasn't a building fire. Was it a fireplace? Oliver had a lot to think about, but he also had priorities. His vision was confusing, while Rance seemed to be struggling. The least he could do was try and guide the man.

So, as it turned out, Rance knew of partial shifting, but he still clearly didn't know everything. "Yes, it is normal. I can do it myself if you'd like to see." Oliver's offer was genuine and taken with care, hoping that he wouldn't startle or scare the man. Rance had a lot to learn, as evident by his next comment. "It could be a metaphor.. but I think it's something else." So dramatic Oliver. "You can turn into a Raven currently... but in the future you will gain more shifts. I think this was a vision of your future shift." Oliver had so many questions, but he chose to keep it simple so not to overwhelm the man.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
let your threads come undone. i like you better bare
Rance nodded in agreement, snorting another sort-of laugh. Whatever the fire meant, it was as strange in its own way as the visions of transformation had been to Rance. Could those have been metaphorical, too?

Maybe not, considering what Oliver was offering in terms of explanation. First that he'd be able to take on aspects of his animal form when human -- the image of Jigano with fox ears flashed in his mind -- but that he would eventually shift into other animals? And that those things were normal? A shiver ran down his spine, mind trying to wrap around the fact of that idea applying to him personally, near or far future. His expression likely reflected his surprise and trepidation as he wasn't making an effort to hide it.  "I... shit. Fuck, sorry... I've been a raven my entire life. The idea of bein' anything else is.. a lot." Oliver didn't need to see him falling apart over what might not even happen. He shook his head and ran his hand through his hair again before training his gaze on Oliver. "Can I see it? Your... partial shift?"
RANCE
Blacksmith

Change author:
Oliver was glad that he had taken things slow- asking the man before shifting or randomly bombarding him with questions. It was obviously a lot to handle and Oliver’s lack of knowledge of Rance’s background certainly didn’t help him. The words given were enough and Oliver was already contemplating ways to work with it. It wasn’t hard to tell that Rance was overwhelmed, so Oliver was happy to give the man what he wanted.

”Alright.” And with a soft smile, Oliver allowed his ears to shift into fox ones. But, unlike Jigano’s, these ears were particularly massive. ”This is from my fox shift- it has massive ears.” Oliver allowed his ears to remain. If Rance wanted to touch them he absolutely could. Oliver really didn’t mind. Thinking for a moment, Oliver then used his abilities to make his canines sharper. Opening his mouth a bit he pointed to his teeth. ” I can also do that. Otherwise, I haven’t tried anything else.” It was a lot but hopefully that was enough for Rance at first.

”Your shifts are based off of parts of your soul. They can appear suddenly. I personally started out with my fox shift and recently acquired a woodpecker and the spotted leopard....do you want to see any shifts?”
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Rance would have thanked Oliver for going slow as well, if he hadn't been in the state of mind where he needed it. Somehow, the first part of his vision with the naked man had been far easier to process and internalize. It was like something he might daydream about, unlike the transformation which was a bit disturbing.

The change to Oliver's ears was startling enough that he let out a laugh that was a little more real. He was reaching up to touch them when the blond showed off his canines as well. He hand paused in mid-air, blue eyes still wide. The corner of his mouth lifted in the beginnings of a smile and his hand finally made contact with furred flesh. "Oh... yeah, that must be somethin' to see. Never seen a fox with ears like this." The skin between his fingers was warm and soft and Rance kept his touch careful.

Rance shook his head at the offer to see other shifts, letting his hand drop. "It's not the changin' shape that's so weird, it's that -- look, I don't know if you were a fox before you came to Caido, but I was born a raven. Feathers and all." Had they not had this conversation about shifting, it might have been a harder conversation to have. But, with Oliver so open about his own other forms, Rance figured that he wasn't going to be judged. "I didn't learn how to take human form until I was a few year's old. And even after that, we don't just stop thinkin' of ourselves as ravens."
RANCE
Blacksmith

Change author:
As his ears transformed, Oliver watched Rance's face, looking into his eyes and searching for any facial expressions he would make. It wasn't a surprise that Rance seemed taken aback and Oliver was far from offended by his response. The man's hands slowly reached up and Oliver nodded and leaned forward a bit, hoping to show him that it would be okay- and it seemed his message was sent. Delicate hands reached and grasped at his ears, something that Oliver smiled at and suppressed laughter.

The touch was momentary and soon, Rance was returning back to normal, now explaining far more than Oliver could ever imagine. As it turned out...Rance was an actual raven... or he once was, before coming here. Or... he was also a human? It was unclear and Oliver certainly seemed both surprised and overwhelmed. His eyes were wide, ears straight up (since he hadn't shifted back) and mouth ever so slightly agape.

Once he finally found the words to speak, they came out with little confidence, displaying a new side of Oliver. He wasn't disgusted, far from it, just clearly surprised. He had never dealt with anything like this before. "How- how did you become a human? Before coming through the portal? I was fully human before I came here- Safrin gifted me the ability to turn into animals." He had to clarify, but even then, his voice was quiet. "I'm sorry if I've offended you- I've just... I've never heard of something like this before." It would be clear to probably anyone that Oliver was mostly confused. Overwhelmed.
Rance Grenier
Wanderer

Change author:
Well, this was definitely a turn Rance would never have predicted taking the conversation. Any conversation. Finding out that Oliver had been human first explained his very of the shifts, at least a little, but he seemed thoroughly flummoxed by the idea of Rance being a raven before anything. His stumbling question and open confusion made Rance replay what he'd said, put together with what a human might think....

"Ah, shit, no, don't apologize. I mean, no, I wasn't human before I was dumped through the portal but, I wasn't an actual wild bird." It was rather grounding to be on the side of the one explaining things. Rance shifted to his knees, giving Oliver a lopsided grin. "I was Hidden folk. Fae, though not like anythin' on this world if what I've been told is true. We're shapeshifters, changin' from animal to human in appearance when we liked." Which was more info than Rance had given to any human, especially all in one go. He supposed, technically, Jigano was human, but since the revelation that he most certainly hadn't been, once upon a time, Rance didn't consider him in quite the same way.
RANCE
Blacksmith

Change author:
The tone Rance took was a welcome one- it helped Oliver to know that he hadn't offended the man, far from it. It was a relief and it was also welcomed with open arms. To know that he hadn't hurt this man that he had started to trust was... well, amazing. It was a lot to process, though, and Oliver could begin to understand why he had so easily mistaken the other man. It was a unique species, very different from the Fae's of this world. "So... you're like a Selkie? Kind of? We have those back in my world... they can turn from a seal into a human." It was... the closest comparison that Oliver could think of to better process this.

It did kind of put a massive hitch in Oliver's plan. Initially, he had full attempts to flirt with the man. The little reactions to his compliments and the way Rance looked at him was enough to cause interest to rise... but would it be okay now? How do you ask 'is it socially acceptable if we fuck' without sounding to forward, awkward, or, well, killing the mood? "Interesting... I wonder what that would mean with your future shifts, then." He tilted his head ever so slightly, still looking Rance in the eyes. Biting down on his lip, he offered the man a smile. "Thank you for being open with me, Rance... could you tell me more? About the Hidden Folk?"