Nothing there for you to see
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
He frowned. Didn't like the sound of that oath one bit. Whoever had sworn it in the past must have been real stupid or really desperate. "And you had no way of getting out of it?"

The description of Frey made Korbin's brows rise a lot higher than they had on previous occasions. A faint touch of color crept over his face, and his eyes trailed off, rather carefully not looking at Loren. "That.. does seem a bit... unexpected," he mumbled. "Wouldn't have pegged you for someone to follow one like that. More... Vi, preserving life, that kind of thing." But what did he know. Korbin never prayed, really. Except when it was expected. And he most definitely wasn't the frivolous sort of person. No doubt Frey would find him boring too.

Grumping about Neron was a much safer subject, and he nodded bitterly. "Convinced a few people that he had the right of things, and just strongarmed his way up there. Made the Palace, then made the way between the Citadel and the Portal. Most of us just figured he'd grow tired of it and leave just the way he'd appeared, but..." He gritted his teeth. "Not like we were going to fight each other over an outsider. No one is happy about him, but he hasn't screwed up enough that anyone's doing anything about him." The unspoken yet hung in the air, like an ominous premonition that perhaps not everything was as settled as it might seem.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren shook his head. "No. As soon as my magic manifested, I was trapped." For a moment, his jaw feathered with tension. However, he took a deep breath, and when he let it out he was actually calmer.

"Because the oath demanded total obedience, the family decided to enforce compliance. Because that required strength, the most powerful mages were in charge. And the ways they made sure the rest of the family were obedient were...less than pleasant." He shot Korbin a quick look, wondering how the hunter would interpret that.

Letting out a huff of laughter, the healer shrugged. "I value life, yes. But I know I can't save everyone. Nor should I expect myself too, even if I once felt that I should." He shook his head a bit sadly. However, he smiled to let the other man know the Launceleyn wasn't beating himself up anymore. "Plus, as I said, I think the reminder not to take myself too seriously and the contrasts are good for me. Make me a better, more complete person. Make me acknowledge that there is more to life than self-sacrifice, and that it's okay to take some time for myself." Also flushing a bit, he was similarly unable to meet Korbin's gaze.

Still amused at this very familiar tale, Loren gave the hunter an understanding look. "If I could get him to come out and listen to the people of Halo, get him to implement some of your ideas, do you think there's a chance you'd be able to accept him?" The healer's tone was casual, but he was watching the other man closely, and the Launceleyn's mind was attuned to any emotion he might pick up from Korbin.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
He felt the weight of that gaze on him, and made himself consider the implications of such a situation. Korbin swallowed, not happy with the conclusions he made. "Let me guess... excessive brutality and cruelty? If they opted for child soldiers rather than brainless cultists." It would have been just as easy to paint those royal members out as gods.. but perhaps that was also something that was done. Korbin felt he didn't really want to know the full extent of what Loren had lived through. It would make not caring very difficult.

Shifting a bit uncomfortably, Korbin nodded to the philosophical arguments. He... couldn't say he agreed that there was anything wrong with self-sacrifice. It was how he lived, after all. He wasn't suffering, and everyone else was better for it... what was the harm in giving up a few things if it eased the burden on others? But he wasn't going to argue; Loren could do what he wished. "So you have no complaints about your Frey whatsoever?" he just had to ask; it seemed too meek, to just happily accept someone who called you boring.

But he did sigh when the question made him have to think for everyone again. It didn't feel right, to pretend he really knew how everyone would react. "I don't know," he admitted. "Maybe. But there's a good number who would prefer a Halo native to hold that title, if there has to be one at all. Personally... I think I'd prefer if he stepped down. And then we could all get to decide who we want to entrust our safety to. It's not really about doing things that makes us happy... it's about him not being one of us." And that still applied to Loren as well.
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren actually grinned at Korbin's guess. "That about sums it up." Shrugging, the healer scratched the back of his head. "Too bad I was always bad about following orders and not asking questions." The grin gained a bit of a sheepish edge.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he shook his head. "Oh no, I have plenty of complaints. They refuse to answer questions directly, they have a distinct lack of interest in actually helping people, even ones who are trying to carry out their will, it's impossible to figure out what they care about beyond sex and people being exciting, and I think they're completely wrong about me being boring." Tone wry, he raised his eyebrows as if to ask if that sufficiently answered the hunter's question. "Oh and they stole the love someone felt for me and turned my friend's cock into a wooden dildo." That last one caused him to flush slightly again.

Nodding, the Launceleyn's lips twitched in amusement. "Short of being born here, is there any way to become one of you? Or just stay the course and hopefully one day you'll accept us?" Although there was a slightly teasing tone to his voice, it was a legitimate question.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He winced at the implication to that, and nodded. "Well, from what I've seen, you neither have to take orders nor avoid asking questions now. Who's gonna stop you, if you can drop a dragon on their heads?" He sounded faintly amused - but something about that worried him too. Perhaps he could see why too much power would be a concern for gods. It certainly was for him, powerless as he was. Imagine then how an Accepted might feel about it?

The lithany of complaints actually made the teenager laugh again, some of his bad humor easing off again. His temperament was turbulent and unpredictable at the moment... but perhaps that was excusable, considering what had gone down earlier. "No offense, but I think I'll stay clear of Frey," he drawled, color still high on his own face. "I'd like to keep my emotions - and everything else - where they are."

Sliding down along the ice that blocked the entrance, Korbin sat down on his heels, arms resting loosely on the knees. Leaning his head back against the cold wall, he hummed thoughtfully. "Well... there are ways," he mused. "It's not like you're the only Outlanders to ever appear over the centuries. Or outsiders who have wound up staying. You could be adopted into one of the families here... you'd have to give up your names for that though, and find someone willing to take you in. Become mother and father, that whole deal." He scratched his chin, thinking.

"There's the old coming-of-age rituals... They fell out of practice a while back, because they're quite brutal. But they would prove that you're fit to survive in Halo, and the elders might be more prone to accept that than anything else. Or... yes, as you said. Let time and Halo itself take the measure of you, like with the rest of us. But that would require years worth of patience, and you don't really have that kind of time." Not with the current mood within the Citadel.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Smiling faintly, Loren ran a hand through his hair. "People and beings that can overpower a dragon. Of which there are many." It came out simply, if a bit wryly. He shifted his weight a bit from side to side, though, the motion a bit awkward. He was clearly a bit embarrassed.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he nodded at Korbin's words. "To each their own." Then the healer gave the hunter an understanding look. "But if you change your mind, or ever want someone to accompany you to a shrine, let me know. Or if you just want to talk about the gods, I'm always happy to do so." The Launceleyn made the offer easily. Obviously he knew he'd been blessed to have encountered the gods as many times as he had, even if the experiences weren't all positive. Paying it forward, as others had offered to do for him, seemed like the least he could do.

Eyes narrowing slightly as the other man explained all the ways someone could become a true Halovian, Loren's lips twitched in amusement. "Let's assume I don't want to inflict myself on some poor family and that you're right, I'm super impatient. What can you tell me about these coming of age rituals?" Crouching down so he was on Korbin's level, the healer stared intently at the hunter The Launceleyn was expecting something about surviving in the wild or hunting some beast or other, but he was going to be open minded about this.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"Possibly," he admitted, "but most would rather not risk it." He gave Loren a quizzical look from where he sat hunched. "I don't get you... You asked a god for power, and now you have it. Why aren't you more proud of it?" It seemed quite the accomplishment to him.

The offer was met with a noncommittal shrug and a brief nod of 'I'll think about it'. Most likely Korbin would go by himself if he ever felt the need. Sometime when there wouldn't be any other people around. Some things were better done in private. Like getting cursed.

Loren seemed quite interested in the options Korbin listed, and he thought back, trying to recall what he'd heard. "Well... It's been at least two generations since it was done, I think. Possibly it's been used as a punishment since... not too clear on that. The elders in the lodge would know the details, they've probably lived through it themselves."  He shifted, settling in a bit better.

"The esssence is, you're to prove that you learned the lessons your parents taught about surviving. So you're taken far out into the Tundra, given a knife and a water skin, and then you're left there. Meant to survive on your own for a number of days. No magic, no shifts, no nothing. Enforced by honor, and the idea that you'd be rejected from the community if you're caught cheating."

Chewing on his lip, Korbin met Loren's gaze and held it, thinking. "I might accept someone who had resolve enough to go through something like that," he admitted. "It's not up to me though... that's the kind of thing everyone would have to accept if there was to be any meaning in it."

Might be worth looking into, though. If Loren - and others - really were serious about wanting to belong here.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Smiling faintly, Loren's fingers tapped against his leg. "Because power isn't everything?" He shook his head a bit, equal parts embarrassed and amused. "It can't make you happy, necessarily, or give you the things you really want in life. Nor will it get me accepted by those that matter." Tone wry, he raised his eyebrows at Korbin.

Then the healer took a deep breath. "But I appreciate what it lets me do for other people." Smiling more fully now, he shrugged. He'd never been after power for power's sake.

Nodding slowly at the hunter's explanation, the Launceleyn let out a huff of laughter. "Sounds like quite the ordeal." However, his expression softened, and he gave Korbin an understanding look. "But if the elders, and the community are willing to give me that chance, I would take it." Loren's voice was firm about that.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"It will give you chances most people don't have though," he pointed out. "It's definitely not something to be embarrassed about. You have it, so why not own it?" Korbin tilted his head. It equaled his own confidence in singing or surviving in his homeland, he thought. Let him sing in front of strangers without balking, and speak his mind about matters that felt important... because he never doubted that he was allowed to do so. There was a power in that too.

A slow smile crept over the boys lips at the surety in Loren's tone. He seemed more than a little keen on the idea of a trial... and as he thought about it, Korbin admitted that the idea tickled something within him too. The reckless, daredevil part of him that usually remained tempered and suppressed beneath common sense.

"If it comes to the point where you end up going through something like that, I'll join too," he offered. "Wouldn't have anyone say I demand things of others that I wouldn't do myself." He didn't doubt that he had the necessary skills and knowledge to survive... but nor did he doubt that it was a dangerous and difficult thing to ask of anyone.

Halo was just that brutal.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren let out a huff of laughter at Korbin's words. Glancing at the meat, which the healer had deposited on the ground, he shrugged. "That's true. I'm not embarrassed about it, exactly. I just don't want to take it for granted, I guess." He smiled wryly at the hunter. "Make sure I'm using it for the right reasons." At that, the Launceleyn shook his head, clearly not quite able to articulate what he was feeling.

However, he gave the other man a surprised glance when Korbin offered to go with Loren on the coming of age ceremony. A stupidly happy smile plastered itself on his lips. "That sounds like an offer I'd be a fool to refuse. Thank you."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"That's fair," Korbin conceded. He still thought Loren acted embarrassed, but it might be he just looked awkward in general. He didn't know the man enough to really be a judge.

Loren's happy smile made him look away, uncomfortable with the gratitude. "Don't thank me," he muttered. "I'm not doing you any favors. Weaver would say I'm being a stubborn ass for not accepting people as they are. She's probably not wrong."

Yet it didn't change how he felt about this whole thing. Really, if Korbin got his own way, he would throw everyone out and seal the region up again. But that wouldn't actually happen, would it.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Giving Korbin a not quite convinced look, Loren tilted his head slightly to one side. "If you say so." He was willing to let the awkward topic of his magic drop if the hunter was.

Still grinning, the healer leaned over to punch the other man lightly in the shoulder. "Yeah, yeah. You can't fool me. I'm growing on you." The Launceleyn let out a huff of laughter. "Like a fungus."

Shifting so he was seated in a cross-legged position, he smiled. "You know, you don't have to listen to everything Weaver says. Nobody's perfect all the time." However, he was mostly trying to make conversation to pass the time.

On that note, he glanced around the small hole in the mountains they'd found. "What can you tell me about the caves in the Fangs?" His tone was curious and he returned his attention to Korbin. Loren's expression was intent and focused.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
What, he didn't want to be given benefit of the doubt? Korbin could keep arguing for the heck of it, but decided against it. Let the matter drop, as he didn't think he'd get anywhere. He was given a shrug, and a surly look for the punch to the shoulder. Fungus was an apt comparison. Or perhaps an itch between the shoulders that couldn't be reached. Vexing and undeniably present.

Gods, Korbin couldn't wait to get home. Bathe and sleep and forget this day had ever happened.

"No, but she's usually right," he replied. "Habits die hard... Listening to her has kept me alive. I doubt that's going to change anytime soon." She was as much a mother and guardian as a sister, just like Erebor had been a fatherfigure. Except the bond was stronger, his rebellions smaller and less obvious.

The sudden switch of subject took him slightly aback. Korbin thought about it. "Not much. They're dangerous and full of abandoned mines... No one's stupid enough to go near them. Why do you ask?" He couldn't help the curiosity; what would anyone want with them?
the Firebrand

Change author:
Ignoring Korbin's surly look, Loren smiled at the hunter's statement about Weaver. "You can totally punch me for asking this, but if she's usually right, maybe you should listen to her?" The healer was clearly just teasing the other man at that point.

Letting out a huff of laughter, the Launceleyn's smile turned into a full on grin. "No particular reason. Mostly because I'm one of the those who was stupid enough to go near them." He gave Korbin an utterly amused look. "My brother asked me to, in order to see if we could dig up some mageglass. It was actually his test to see if I was worthy of joining his council."
LOREN
Not quite an open book