Nothing there for you to see
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
A sidelong glance showed that the young man didn't buy the lie for one second. But Loren moved the conversation along, and Korbin didn't feel inclined to push into the other man's business. He didn't care, remember? Though that too was a lie, and didn't need any slipped emotions to figure out. Wasn't he sitting there, listening after all?

Pulling off his gloves, he rummaged through his pockets and produced a pouch of rations. Dried meat, meant for emergencies... but while this wasn't at the level where they'd risk starving to death just yet, he still felt the need for something to do. Producing a vicious looking hunting knife, he began to cut thin strips of the meat, and offered one to Loren. It could almost be mistaken for a peace offering.

"It's nothing personal," he said, after a long pause. "I just don't trust outsiders. People leave, or they die... or they get others killed. I don't have room for anyone who won't stick around." Whether it be because they were too caught up in other things to look after the community, too weak to survive or take care of themselves, or too full of themselves to realize what a dangerous place Halo was.

"You said you know Weaver... how much has she told you about our family?" He brought a piece of the meat to his mouth, and chewed. It tasted of smoke and salt and wilderness, of long hard hours spent on tedious, boring work. It tasted like pride, and loathing, and stubborn resilience.

It tasted like home.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Taking the jerky, Loren nodded gratefully at Korbin. "Thank you." The healer nibbled on it as he listened to the hunter's explanation.  "Fair enough."

Then the Launceleyn grinned weakly. "Good thing we keep running into each other then. I'll prove I'm in this for the long haul in no time." It was a terrible joke, but hopefully the other man would understand it was Loren's own way of trying to bridge the gap. "Also, this is excellent." He waved what remained of the jerky around to indicate what he was talking about.

Shrugging, he leaned his head back to rest it against the cavern wall. "Not much, really. She said that your mother was basically a saint, and that your older brother saved her from an Ursur, but he..." Voice trailing off, he gave Korbin a concerned look, hoping the mention of his elder brother's death wasn't crossing some boundary.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
The joke was awful, but it earned Loren a huffed laugh and a crooked smile, dark blue eyes studying the man to see whether he was serious. It almost sounded like he wanted to be friends. Which was... cute. Weaver would rejoice. As for Korbin himself? He really didn't trust it.

Humming something indistinct at the compliment to the food, he had nothing to add. Not until the subject turned to his family. "He died, yes." The words came out evenly, like he was talking about the weather. But beneath his calm face and smooth tone, there was a roaring pit of grief, and it became clear that it had nothing to do with the killing of a cannibal. "I don't remember much about mom. She disappeared when I was... oh.. eight, or so. Just walked out one day and never came back. Then a few years later, dad died. And a couple of years ago, Erebor died, and Weaver was dragged back, more dead than alive. She almost didn't make it." It was a grim tally of losses, one tragedy after another, stacking heavier upon one another until the weight was almost unbearable.

"The people in town helped us. Kept us fed, clothed, so on. Weaver did all the hunting, I do the rest. We get by. But... ever since that damned portal opened, everything has started to change. She's running off, away where I can't see her... and people keep streaming in here, changing everything they see."

Korbin looked up, his gaze dark and stormy, a wolfish protectiveness emanating from him as he fixed his eyes on the Healer. There was an undercurrent of desperation, and in a move that was almost aggressive he let down his barriers completely, and all but shoved it all at the other. Fear of change and loss, frustration at the things he didn't get a say in, all circling a deep, abiding love for the one sole member of his family he still had left.

"I don't need anyone who puts her in danger, Loren. Not anyone, got it?"
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As Korbin explained more about his family history, Loren nodded along, sending pulses of sympathy at the mention of the hunter's disappeared mother, and dead father and brother. At the other man's final comment, the healer met his gaze squarely. "You have my word that I mean no harm to you or Weaver."

However, the Launceleyn took a deep breath. "But I understand that some changes are entirely unwelcome. To that end, how would you like a job?" He risked a tentative smile. "I personally would love to have someone around who can tell me in no unertain terms when I and the rest of the Ningos in the Palace are overstepping."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
He held that gaze, searched it as if he might scry the truth of those words in the man's very soul. But the most Korbin was able to muster was a suspension of disbelief. A benefit of the doubt. It wasn't trust, not faith, not even anything so pretty as hope. Just... acknowledgement that Loren didn't intend to cause them harm. But words didn't mean anything. Actions were everything. "We'll see," came the quiet reply, and that was all Loren would get.

The youth was surprised when Loren went on however, and the offer left him stunned. There was a weak sound that could be a chuckle when Loren threw back the quip he'd used - the image of a gabble of clucking Ningos rampaging through the icy halls made him want to compose a song - but for the most part, his mind went unexpectedly blank.

"That's... quite the offer," he said slowly. "Why are you asking me, of all people? I've been a jerk every second of the time I've been near you." Still was, he supposed, though the worst of the edges had been blunted. He was flattered though. Reluctantly, but... flattered.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren just nodded at Korbin's words. They would indeed see. However, the healer couldn't help but smile at the hunter's reaction to the healer's offer. "Because I don't want someone to treat me with silk gloves either. I need someone who will tell me in no uncertain terms when I'm being a fucking idiot. Or a Ningo if you prefer." His tone was as genuinely honest as he could manage.

Turning to face the other man, the Launceleyn's expression grew more serious. "And because I've seen how the people of this land treat you and your sister. You are well regarded in this community, and I'd be a fool not to rely on your advice." He tilted his head and raised his eyebrows.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
This day was taking a weird turn. From perfectly good to awful and over to downright strange. Taking his time to process the offer, the reasonsings Loren responded with, the dark-haired youth took another strip of the dried meat and chewed it slowly. Considered it from every angle.

"Taking the job would mean I condone the current government," he said after a while. "Can't say that would be true though. I don't think an outlander should sit alone as Warden of Halo, no matter if he's good at the job or not. And I don't know that he is. It's been... what, two years, since your brother came here? And I've not met him once."

How could someone who sat up at the Palace all day know anything about Halo? What would a person like that care about its people? Korbin left the words hanging, waiting to see how Loren might respond. Details like what the job might entail could wait; this was more important at the moment.
the Firebrand

Change author:
As Korbin listed his concerns, Loren smiled. "If you need to meet him before deciding, that can certainly be arranged." There'd be time for little else during Deepfrost, it seemed. "As for the rest of it, we can call you the opposition advisor. Or something that makes it clear it clear you do not approve of our government." He gave the hunter an understanding look. "That you're an eagle not a Ningo."

When the wind picked up outside and began to howl, the Launceleyn glanced at the gap, features more than a bit concerned. Still, there was nothing they could do about the weather. So he just turned his attention back to the other man, trying to make something out of a shit situation.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
A chance to meet the rumored and much contested Warden... now that was worth considering. Korbin ran a tongue over his lower lip, chewing thoughtfully at it. "I might take you up on that," he replied, unable to hide the curious glint in his eyes.

"But," he continued, "it doesn't really matter what you call it. If I work for the Warden, eat his food and accept his pay... that's the same as agreeing with his presence. Even if I'm ostencibly answering to you, that doesn't really change anything." The moment he threw his lot in with the Palace people, it would suggest to everyone else that he was willing to listen to what the outlanders were saying.

Did he want that?

"What do you even want me to do? I'm not a healer," he said. As if that wasn't obvious enough... He closed his fists, tried to forget the feeling of a dying man's pulse beating frantically against them.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren grinned faintly at Korbin's response to an offering for a meeting with Neron. "I'll see what I can do. No promises that it will be a pleasant meeting, though." Indeed, the healer's tone was more than a bit wry and amused, since he figured the Warden and the hunter wouldn't get along in the slightest.

"Then don't accept our food or our pay. Speak your mind, but don't survive off of what we are providing." Although the Launceleyn knew it wasn't that simple, he could make whatever arrangements would make the other man most comfortable.

As Korbin mentioned that he wasn't a healer, Loren raised his eyebrows. 'Most people aren't. But...if you would like to be, I can help with that as well."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
No, Korbin didn't imagine it would be. Few meetings he had with people were very enjoyable, lately. Perhaps because he'd lost track of the pleasant smiling mask he usually wore. "That's fine. I just want to see what he's like for myself." If there was anything behind the fancy title.

As Loren kept talking however, Korbin's expression grew faintly amused. "Work without pay? Listen, I thought you were offering me a job, not volunteer work," he quipped. "Since you're the grand healer, I assumed that's what you were talking about. But if it's not... what kind of job am I being offered?"

The suggestion that Korbin could become a healer threw him off balance all over again. "I don't have any magic," he protested, not without regret. There was a wistful expression that showed he very much would like to accept, but... what difference would another herb grinder make, in a place full of mages with real healing abilities?
the Firebrand

Change author:
Nodding, Loren gave Korbin an understanding look. "Then I will see what I can do about arranging a meeting between the two of you." The healer's voice was firm.

Letting out a huff of laughter, he shrugged. "You were the one who said you didn't want to work for us. I'm just trying to come up with a suitable solution." However, his expression and tone both softened. "Advisor on matters related to the Naturals of Halo. Someone with the people's ear, who will tell us outsiders in no uncertain terms when we're overstepping."

As the hunter mentioned he didn't have any experience healing, the Launceleyn gave him a confused look. "So what?" He shrugged again. "You don't need magic to set a bone or to stitch a wound closed. Nor to mix medicines or take care of a sick patient." Tone kind, he smiled faintly at the other man. "There are plenty of non-magical ways to heal people. I'd be more than happy to teach them to you, if you don't mind apprenticing to me."
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
"No, I said I'd be a hypocrite to work for you when I don't actually think your brother should be in charge of Halo," he corrected, with a half smile. If Loren wanted his honest opinion, then by the gods, he would get it. "That's why I wanna meet him. To see if I'm wrong."

He leaned forward, bracing his elbows on the knees while he listened to the rest. Honestly, it all sounded pretty good. Healing... it was not something he had ever really considered for himself, but he immediately found the notion appealing. He'd sat watch over two dying family members. One who made it and one who did not. If there was the slightest chance of him ending up in a situation like that again, Korbin knew he'd rather be able to do something himself than sit and wait for others to pitch in.

As for advising... that had an appeal too. He could definitely convey the opinions of himself and the people. "And if I should advise you something you'd rather not hear... What prevents you from simply stepping over us and doing it anyway? Like the Warden did when he took over?" Korbin remembered it quite clearly. After gaining the ear of a portion of the soldiers, the rest had just been shunted aside and told to shut up and accept or else. It was something he'd never forgive.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Nodding in understanding, Loren just smiled at Korbin. "Alright then. We can revisit the issue once you've taken Neron's measure." The healer didn't sound bothered by that possibility in the slightest.

Noting the hunter's interest, the Launceleyn made a note to follow up about it. First, he had to address the other man's concerns about the advisory position. "What's to stop you from giving me advice designed to make me look bad?" Loren shrugged. "At some point we're both just going to have to extend a little trust."

Searching Korbin's features, the healer spoke slowly. "As for the nonmagical healing, as I understand it, people mostly shelter in the Citadel during Deepfrost. If you have time, I'd be happy to show you the basics. Then maybe when Flowerbirth rolls around you can decide if you'd like to continue." Then his expression grew curious. "Actually, what do Halovians do during Deepfrost?"
LOREN
Not quite an open book