He figured living was just easier
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
Remi's empathetic answer marked more than anything else for Sam that something had changed suddenly in their relationship; that they had made some progress somehow, something he'd not thought possible after their last meeting. "...So..we've been talking for a few minutes and you haven't tried to kill me or yell at me. Are we...back to being something like friends?" He asked, looking over to Remi with anticipation, trying to prepare himself for rejection.

That Remi did know about the shadows would at least be a good topic to swiftly move onto if the answer was a no. "Then...what's causing it? Something happened here, didn't it? Before I came?" More than Isla. He could tell.
take what you like
but close my ears and eyes
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
everything i knew is turning into ruins in your shadow
With Isla's blood drying on his hands, the Alchemist glanced upwards at Sam's question, an unreadable expression on his face. He appreciated the bookmaker's naked honesty, that he didn't veil his thoughts behind weakly construed attempts at levity. So Remi would respond in kind.

"No, I wouldn't say we are." He said with a shake of his head, moonlight making his eyes look impossibly dark. "But I have had...help in letting go of the past. The things you've done. I think perhaps I held so tightly to my hate for you because it was all that was left between us." Remi admitted in a voice suddenly quite soft. "I don't want to be the sort of man who carries around such animosity anymore. That said, I don't know you apart from what has happened. It might not make my stomach clench and cheeks burn to see you, but I've not forgotten what's been done." Still, it wasn't as bad as all that. "I think...this is the closest to a fresh start as we'll ever have."

So saying, the Alchemist stepped forward across the beach towards the bookmaker, a hand extended. There were no talons upon it, nor any tension either. Just the introduction the pair probably should have had, all those years ago. Not trapped in a cave with only each other as an option, but free on a beach with nothing at stake.

As for Sam's other question? "Ludo, I should think."
THE ALCHEMIST
i thought that i'd be ready
but falling isn't steady once you let go
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
Remi's first answer, the 'no'..well, it was a good thing Sam had steeled himself for rejection, because that preparation allowed him to just nod rather than react too strongly to what seemed like the end of their relationship (for real this time); but then Remi continued.

Sam listened quietly, unsure if he was listening to a gentle rebuttal or a cautious acceptance: when it turned out to be the latter he broke out into a smile, unable to help it, and turned to Remi to take the offered hand, shaking it as he blinked back a couple of happy, emotional tears that he hoped would be forgiven. "..Right. Then...Samuel. I suppose I might as well be an all together different man now too, after all that's happened." It felt like lifetimes ago that he'd written those diaries about first meeting Remi, the texts practically historical, especially as he could not actually remember writing the words.

Thankfully they had a topic to jump into rather than focusing too much on what could be a slightly awkward reintroduction. Letting go of Remi's hand, Sam tilted his head to one side. "Ludo..? Did it...have something to do with Isla?" He asked, unsure why else the herald of death might have a connection to Remi.
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Watching the slow and almost silly smile on Sam's face and the few tears of fluid that shone in his eyes, the Alchemist could only offer a crooked smile in return. "Well, at least some things haven't changed." He noted. Sam was the only man who could give Remi a run for his money when it came to emotional displays.

"When Isla died and I called to Ludo to have her brought back...it...said when the time came, I would owe it and not be able to turn it down." Running a hand through his curls, darkening them with unicorn blood, the Alchemist looked towards the sea with a soft expression. "It called it that debt tonight."
THE ALCHEMIST
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
Seeing Remi's smile again was a gift Sam hadn't known he'd been waiting for, but he was thrilled to receive it and laughed a breath at the comment, shaking his head at himself. "It seems no matter how much I face, I can't keep my eyes dry." Still, with a couple of deep breaths and rubs of his eyes, he had it under control.

The further explanation of the debt...he frowned, hoping Remi had not given away too much. "..And...what was it that Ludo asked for, if I can ask...?" There was still a little fresh-beginning awkwardness, where Sam wasn't sure what was permitted and what wasn't, but he sensed Remi might want to discuss whatever had just happened: he got the impression it had been important.
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I'm sure there's an upgrade for that." And then, though he probably should have thought better of it he added, "..or a patch."

Fire light glinted across the Alchemist's jaw, blurring in his unshaven beard. The smell of blood was copper-bright next to the salty spray of the sea, and though Sam wouldn't feel it (or would he, these days?) a warm breeze rushed down from the festival, carrying the laughter and songs of those remembering their lost loved ones.

"My soul." Remi replied simply.
THE ALCHEMIST
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
Sam laughed a little awkwardly at Remi's comment, a reminder of the patch in his arm (and why it had been crafted) not something he'd expected within the first ten minutes of their 'new' friendship, but he didn't mind too much: it was good that Remi was able to joke about it, he supposed. Though his response was more serious, coming from something he'd been considering for a while: "I'm trying not to solve my problems by running to The Voice anymore, if I can help it."

The scent of blood was indeed on the air and Sam did his best to ignore how it made him feel just the slightest bit hungry; it had been a week or so since his last feed and he'd need to return soon. Remi's answer to the question was more than enough distraction from the hunger though, Sam staring and looking him up and down to try and see if Remi looked any different now. "...Your--oh. Your soul...um."

After a moments thought about it though, he supposed it could be argued he'd given his own soul to the Voice: after all, he would not go to Mort's realm after death. Expression softening, he looked out over the sea again and nodded. "...I see. You...seem to have quite the tumultuous relationship with Ludo. I've still never met it...and I suppose I likely never will. What does it having your soul...mean, for you?"
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Why?" Remi seemed genuinely curious. "You're her...well, whatever the Voice-version of a portal guardian is, aren't you? She is your goddess and seemingly much more willing to chat with you about things than any of the other gods are for the likes of us."

The Alchemist let the bookmaker stumble through the slow realization of what he'd said. "That I do." He agreed with a dark chuckle, folding his arms across his chest. Tugging in a breath, Remi shook his head slowly, lips pursed, though his eyes never left Sam. "I don't know yet. It said to come visit it soon enough. As of late it has...asked things of me." What things? He could hear Sam say, and so in the same breath he answered. "Lives that were close to death, but were going to end in horrific pain. It asked me to take those lives a few moments early, to spare them that."

Thus far, it was only Ronin who knew this, and Remi really had no idea why he was telling Sam. "I expect it might be more of that. Perhaps with my soul tethered to the herald and not...me, it might not be so difficult."
THE ALCHEMIST
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
Sam let out a half-laugh breath at Remi's words and nodded, though it seemed he'd not quite understood. "Well, yes, she is far more likely to answer me than anyone else, but...I'm trying not to depend on her to fix all my problems. Besides..." With a sigh he looked off, not able to tell Remi the details but feeling  great deal of conflict over what had happened recently in the Safehouse. "...Recent events might have made me rather unpopular among the other Ascended. I'm not sure how the Voice feels about it."

Ludo, or the thought of the herald at least, had always unnerved Sam; hearing Remi had had to complete tasks for it immediately set worry in his heart: more so when he heard what those tasks had been. He was quiet and clearly shocked, staring at Remi with clearly concerned eyes, but tried to recover: "..Oh..u-um...well, I suppose if you were sparing them pain." Of course, there was an obvious question here: How do you know Ludo was telling the truth about that?

Sam kept that question in for the moment, not wanting to upset or push away his 'new' friend, but he couldn't help the small step away as he wondered if Ludo would ever command the culling of the Ascended: and would Remi agree?

"This is..I suppose...a d-dark question, but..." He pushed a hand through his hair. "How...do you kill them?"
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Oh?" The Alchemist looked subtly curious at that, but he wouldn't pry unless Sam wanted to elaborate. "Other than Wessex aren't you...sort of the oldest among yourselves?" Age wasn't everything, but despite himself, Sam had grown rather strong and powerful even if no one really wanted to acknowledge it. The others—Amun, Bastien, Rexanna, and the younger and newer ones who Remi hadn't met—who were they to oppose a man who'd known the Voice decades longer than they?

Hearing the slight stutter return to Sam's voice seemed to soften something in the Alchemist. Smiling slightly at Sam, Remi pulled in a breath and cast his eyes up towards the sky. "Poison." He said simply. "I...can make rather complex illusions, and so I weave for them a setting where there is no fear. The poison I possess as a manticore is extremely potent. It takes only seconds." Well, seconds when you've got character-approval, anyways.
THE ALCHEMIST
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
"...Well...yes, I suppose I am, but that doesn't make me the one in charge." Sam laughed at the idea of it, the Ascended running like a group of children where age was everything. Besides, 'other than Wessex' didn't really work...he knew if the Demi God wanted to, she could easily crush him. "..You know me, Remi. I am hardly the best at asserting myself and saying what's on my mind. Even when I do, it rarely convinces anyone. Age or no." He shrugged.

It was nice to see Remi smile at least, even if he was talking about something particularly gruesome: though Sam supposed he was glad to hear that the method used to serve Ludo was not a bloody one. "I see. ...Well, um...as long as you aren't coming for me next, I hope it does well for you." A little joke, the ghost of a humourous smile on his face.

There was a shout some way down the beach from the festival, the noise of someone winning some game or getting excited over a particular conversation. After all, just because it was for mourning didn't mean it all had to be doom and gloom. Sam looked over to the lanterns, the celebrations..and a question came to mind. "..If you don't mind me asking...who is the little girl with Ronin?" Surely they had not replaced Aoife so quickly?
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
'So it's you against the ascended mm?' Remi hummed thoughtfully, his eyes narrowing slightly in the moon and firelight. "Over what?" Should Sam lie or reply vaguely, the Alchemist would let the issue drop. But the pair had mostly always been honest with one another, even when those words were fueled with venom.

'Not yet.' He said, making no attempts to assure his once-friend and lover. If Ludo commanded it...well, Remi had already agreed to obey, all those long years ago.

The corners of Remi's lips twitched slightly at that question. It wasn't that he was surprised to hear it, simply that he hadn't been expecting it. Running a hand up the side of his arm, looking something akin to uncomfortable. "Ronin's daughter. Her name is Seren." And, because the follow up question was inevitable, Remi added: "Her mother is Safrin."
THE ALCHEMIST
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Stretch out my life
And pick the seams out
"...I hope not entirely." Sam sighed, shaking his head: maybe some of them wouldn't let their minds be swayed so easily. That said, he knew how intimidating Wessex could be, and if she'd decided he was persona non grata, he couldn't see many standing up to her. "I can't talk about it - it's private Ascended business. ..I was just..the only one on the side of an issue everyone feels very passionate about." He wasn't stupid enough to tell Remi specifically what it was, not when the man had just become a dedicated follower of Ludo.

He laughed quietly and unnerved at Remi's response, which seemed to lack humour. If he was just killing those that would soon die painfully, Sam hoped he wouldn't be on the list, but who was to say the Ascended wouldn't soon become convenient targets?

Trying not to focus on the whole 'Remi murdering me in cold blood' thing, he noticed how Remi seemed uncomfortable about Ronin's child..and for good reason it seemed, as the girl was apparently the result of a Godly affair. "Oh. Um. Did you...know that was going to happen?" He couldn't think of a better way to phrase what he really wanted to ask, which was: did you plan for Ronin to make a mythical baby?
take what you like
WORDSWORTH
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The Alchemist arched a brow at that. Never before had an attuned said, It's private attuned business. Nor for the hybrids, the abandoned, or the accepted. Much as the ascended tried to place themselves as just another race, they were fairly good at othering themselves. "I didn't know the ascended were in favour of democracy." He said with a bit of a shrug. A dictatorship was more like it.

Offering the bookmaker a slow smile, Remi simply shook his head. "No. I..." He ran a hand through his curls, starting at the base of his neck and awkwardly ruffling forward. "..knew they slept together. I suppose that should have made us both think there was a chance of conception. But no, it wasn't planned or anything."
THE ALCHEMIST