one of these is not like the other
Amun
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
KORBIN
And round about his home the glory
That blushed and bloomed,
Korbin nodded as he listened, accepting the points Amun made without arguing them. "People fear what they don't understand," he said, not without sympathy. "If you're a new race, then it's really only to be expected that you will be treated that way. Until it becomes clear where you fit into the workings of the world, and its cultures."

The storms being a product of the Gods was something Korbin did not know, and it made him frown thoughtfully. "How do you know that?" he asked, curious about the source of the tidbit of information.

The explanation on Ascended physiology was interesting, though admittedly unsettling. "Really. What do you react to, then?" It played into what he'd said before; know it, and the need for fear would disappear. And Korbin was nothing if not curious.
Is but a dim-remembered story
Of the old time entombed.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
full moon rising on the waters of my soul
Amun just shook his head at Korbin's words. "Sometimes. But sometimes they fear things and people more when they understand them." Shrugging, the potter glanced up at the other man. "But fine. Ask away." It came out in an almost resigned tone.

At the question about where the information about the storms came from, Amun's expression grew sorrowful. "A friend." He felt his jaw clench. "She had a vision, from some being or other." When he said it out loud, he recognized how ridiculous it was, but it was the truth.

"Emotional stimuli, like everyone else." Only then did he rise to his feet, though he didn't move from the spot he'd been in. Still, he tensed as he revealed the next part. "The only other thing we feel is when we bite someone and drink a little of their blood. It gives both parties an incredible pleasurable sensation."
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
KORBIN
A dark brow rose up beneath the untidy mop of hair, at the tone. "You don't have to answer anything at all, if you don't want to," he replied, in a mild tone. "I can't say I'm all that scared of you, so..." Pulling his hands out, he held them aloft in a shrug that suggested he didn't feel a need to be placated.

Perhaps surprisingly, Korbin didn't scoff at the notion of visions. He just nodded thoughtfully at it. "Do you know the details of it? Or where I might find out more? Ignorance has never been bliss to me." If nothing else, it might be song fodder.

His curiosity did grant him something a bit more than he'd bargained för however. Even he had to recoil a bit at the revelation, a bit of a grimace scrunching his nose. "You drink their blood? And then you wonder why people are afraid... Normally, drinking that kind of stuff would make you puke your guts out. Literally." Curiously, Korbin sounded like he had tried.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Raising an eyebrow, Amun just shook his head at Korbin. "Alright. I'll tell you everything you want to know then." The be careful what you wish for hung unspoken in the air between them.

Nodding the potter waved a hand vaguely in the direction of the portal. "The information was posted on the Notice Board in the Hollowed Ground. It should still be up. If not, anyone from that area can tell you more." Indeed, it had been up for long enough that it should be common knowledge by now.

Giving the other man and annoyed look, the Ascended crossed his arms. "So much for more information being better." Tone mocking, he narrowed his eyes at Korbin. "Yes. I drink their blood. But only with their permission, unless it's in self-defense or defense of others."
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
With a feel that something was glitching in the communication, Korbin just shrugged and nodded. Not sure what it was about him that pissed the other man off so much.

The information about the note was received in similar fashion, a quiet "Thank you," all he had to add.

As for the blood though... He couldn't help but roll his eyes, a half smile tugging at the lips. "I think my reaction is fairly reasonable," he said in self defense. "You don't think it's even a little bit strange? Or unsettling? Did it never creep you out at all, that that is your only way to... eh.. find pleasure?" His tone was delicate, making some effort to keep the speech family friendly.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun crossed his arms, posture more than a bit defensive. "It's literally how I was made when I was brought to Caido." Raising his eyebrows, he gave Korbin a challenging look. "What am I supposed to do, abstain from doing it with a willing partner just because it might upset people?" The potter was genuinely asking the question.

However, he scowled a bit, not particularly enjoying this line of questioning. "What do you do for pleasure? Eat food, get drunk, fuck? Do you hear me criticizing any of those?" There was something mocking about the way he spoke, and it was clear he wasn't impressed by the other man's ignorance.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin was taken aback by the defensiveness, the sharpening tone. He didn't understand why his questions - that seemed perfectly reasonable - caused such offense.

"Am I criticizing? I didn't intend to do so... I just don't get it. Pleasure aside, most people would find the consumption of blood to be problematic. It's an ingrained social taboo. Borderline cannibalistic... unless you've somehow become something other than human, in which case its more predatory. Which still would be scary to most.

"Did you really never question that?"
He sounded more curious than accusatory.

Rubbing the back of his neck with a large, long-fingered hand, he gave Amun a puzzled look. Genuinely confused about the mocking tone. "I find it even more curious that you accept it so easily if it's not how you were born. Why aren't you howling in rage against the one who brought this upon you? It looks very much like a curse to me..."

But hey, maybe that was his natural prejudice speaking again. Wouldn't be the first time.

"Well... no. Usually I just play music," he replied. A quiet admission, spoken quite softly - a vastly different tone from any of the rest.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
"You are." Amun's response was immediate and firm. Expression clearly unhappy, it grew even more so as Korbin continued. "Yes. I would say we are something other than human." Then he shrugged. "But the Attuned are something other than human, too, and you don't see me getting squeamish about the things they do in animal form."

At the question about questioning it, the potter just shook is head. "That's you. I don't see any reason in raging against things I can't change. I'd rather jut make the most of the life I'm actually living." He was too old to throw himself into worthless causes and martyr himself.

Chuckling, the sound dark and low, he cocked his head to one side. "I make pottery." It was a seeming non-sequitur, but he was trying to shift the conversation to less treacherous areas.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
The comparison was surprising, but as he thought about it, Korbin had to give the man right. He'd never considered himself as anything other than human, but... he could not deny that he did things as a raven that his sister never would. Ate rotten food, hunted and killed, picked fights for the heck of it... Indeed, the raven did things that the boy proffessed to loathe. What was this duality in him?

It was startling enough of a revelation that the youth grew quiet, not bothering to challenge the other points. Biting back a 'but have you tried to change', as he realized how hypocritical it would sound, coming from him. After all he'd said about hating change.

"That's a bit unexpected," he said distractedly. Making än overpass of the man's attire, that suggested something a lot less lawabiding and serious.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Equally willing to let the earlier conversation die off, Amun just chuckled as Korbin expressed surprise about the potter's profession. "Is it?" His tone was teasing, but unlike before, it was good natured. "What makes you say that?" It was clear he was just giving the other man a hard time.

As the Ascended spoke, he gave Korbin another once over, this one taking in everything about the other man. "So are you a musician then?" Amun lowered his arms, his defensive posture bleeding away as if it had never been. While there was still something subdued about him, the sorrow had dissipated somewhat and the anger was gone entirely.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
Korbin just nodded. Still a bit caught up in his thoughts. "You look more like a pirate than a potter," he said, with more honesty than tact. Not that he minded or cared either way, but perhaps Amun did.

As for himself... The boy shrugged, a bit unsure. "It's just a pastime," though he didn't sound very convinced about that. "You can't eat music... and no one will feed me if I don't do it myself. There are many valuable and necessary proffessions in Halo. Bard is... not one of them." Not really. Everyone would survive without music.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun actually laughed for real at Korbin's description. "Who says I can't be both?" Grinning a bit, the potter winked at the other man.

Shrugging, the Ascended cocked his head to one side. "I've traveled to a lot of lands, though granted not as many in this world." He shrugged a bit. "Everywhere I've went, even the most dangerous and most hostile, people have been willing to pay for something that brightens up their life. Music, art, dancing."

He gave Korbin a curious look. "So what if it's not necessary? Doesn't mean people won't want it in their lives. And it certainly doesn't mean people won't feed you if you play for them." Indeed, sometimes the less valuable professions were, at the end of the day, the ones people paid the most for.
amun

Coding base by Sky!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
KORBIN
A faint smile ghosted over his lips. "A pirating potter, or a pottering pirate? Lawless hawking of tableware, or perilous pillaging of porcelain... Color me intrigued." His eyes had begun to glitter, rather enjoying the teasing wordplay.

"No doubt you are right, master Potter. I think it's more..." Korbin groped for a decent explanation. "More along the lines of guilt, I think. I don't know that I could stand it, leaving the hard and dangerous work to others while sitting safely at home, plucking my lutestrings. I already do too much of that as it is."

Never mind that he let Weaver do the brunt of the hunting already, he was still doing it, on occasion. If he declined even that... How could be look her in the eyes again?
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
As Korbin began his wordplay, Amun chuckled, actually appreciating the utter nonsense. "Aye, captain of crockery, that's me." Smiling he nodded at the other man.

However, the potter found his eyes narrowing as Korbin expressed his doubts about becoming a full time bard. For a long moment, the Ascended was silent. When he finally did speak, it was slow and careful. "And if plucking your strings makes it easier for them to hunt? Lets them relax after a long day, sleep easier? Breaks up the monotony a bit so they're more alert when they go out?" He shrugged. "Seems to me you'd be doing them a service."
amun

Coding base by Sky!