Chains of Command
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
It was not an ideal situation, what Morgan described. It sounded as though Halo had lost several - many? - of its best and brightest leaders and minds when Neron was handed arbitrary control, and given Loren's earlier descriptions of his brother (before the Healer had been elevated by him, at least), it hardly seemed a fair trade. He appreciated the Captain's brief crack in her armor, the glimpse of her honest and sincere thoughts, however, and he nodded solemnly in understanding of her apology.

The abrupt question was only fair turnabout, but it still left him drawing in a sharp breath of surprise before his lips quirked up faintly in a humorless smile. "The current or the previous?" he asked dryly. "If the latter, I will admit that she and I... do not get along. To put it mildly. We tried to kill each other once, but the Voice interfered to save her." And if there was a note of bitter failure in his voice, well, the intervention of gods was not always a good thing, as Morgan had experienced with the Eirachi's choice.

"The current though..." He sighed, a sip of his cider as he mulled the question over. "She was my friend, before Zariah drove her to chose Ascension as the lesser of two evils. Or... no. That isn't how she would describe it, but Zariah certainly played a large role in the timing of her decision to Ascend." Jigano smoothed away the frown as he met Morgan's eyes squarely. "She is my Queen, chosen by a vote of the people, however... loaded that vote might have been. I do not always agree with her personal choices, but her guidance as a leader has suited the Hollowed Grounds better than any of those who came before her. And she is still my friend. The woman that she was before the Voice sank her hooks into her remains... at least, for now." Though push had not yet come to shove where Rexanna's true loyalties would lie, if it came to a question of the Ascended and the Voice's interests against those of the rest of the people of the Grounds.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Hearing that Jigano had tried to kill the previous Queen was quite the thing to hear indeed. "Can you tell me more of this conflict? Who was this Queen before Rexanna?" The Grounds seemed to be solidly under Ascended rule now; Morgan was becoming more and more determined to not allow the same thing to happen to Halo.

It was clear that Jigano had a more complex opinion of the current Queen, something that Morgan had noticed among the people she had spoken to as a trend. That Zariah had somehow influenced her Ascension caused Morgan's brow to furrow in confusion, but she did not ask further on that for the moment, not wanting to distract from discussion of Rexanna, which if her plan to take over succeeded, would be very relevant to her indeed.

"How was the vote 'loaded'? ...And...do you notice the personalities of those who Ascend slipping away over time?" If so, this was what she had feared for the people that would Ascend in Halo.

Morgan
Storm clouds abound in the land of my heart
And the war-cries fly from the company
But I have seen no quarter, my love
In the gaping maw of the enemy

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
He paused, a bit taken aback. Wessex had supposedly helped Neron construct the path between the portal and the Citadel, and Jigano hadn't realized that she hadn't been introduced to the Hailstorm's cabinet as the foreign Queen. "Her name is Wessex," he began, starting with the simplest question first. "An Ascended of particular power and favor with the Voice, even above the others. When the portal in the Spire was freed from the debris that had blocked it, four of us went to investigate. Before the debris had fallen I had found an ancient beast guarding the portal... a great serpent, intelligent and able to communicate with Attuned." He grew silent a moment, bowing his head in respect for the creature's memory. "It would allow all but Ascended to pass through the portal, but it had been badly hurt by the same debris that had closed the portal off for several seasons. When we found it again it was... confused. Muddled. I tried to Heal it so that we could speak to it but Wessex had no patience for diplomacy. She attacked it, and when I protested she attacked me." Blue eyes glinted coldly as he met Morgan's gaze frankly. "She used stolen magic to summon a frost giant to kill the guardian beast. I lashed out in anger at how I had been used, but the Voice intervened at that point, trapping me and empowering her." Not all the story, but enough to begin and move forward if the Captain had any other questions to ask of him.

As it turned out, she did, though on a different note, and the bard sighed a little as he swirled his cider. "I chose the word poorly. All were given the option to attend the meeting where Wessex held a vote. She had nearly put us - all Grounders - at war with the Fae of the Greatwood due to her actions and the actions of some others among the Ascended. For that reason and, I suspect, to give herself greater freedom of movement to pursue the Voice's goals elsewhere, she offered to step down as Queen if the majority chose not to follow her. The vote was... uncomfortably close." He grimaced faintly then sipped the cider to wash the bad taste from his mouth. "I think there were more Ascended than any other single race at that meeting. There was no opportunity given to really present alternatives, either. We were given ballots, told to vote 'yes' or 'no' to keep Wessex as Queen, and if 'no' then to write the name of another. Rexanna's name appeared the most, whether by Ascended design or not, I don't know. But it is also true that more non-Ascended could have attended the meeting, and chose not to." Including Rory, though how his mate would have voted was something Jigano tried not to think about.

"As for personalities... I am... not sure." Jigano gave a small shrug. "I've been on Caido for two years. In that time the Ascended I've known have grown... more devoted to the Voice. Unnervingly so, in some cases, but given that they can hardly live without her I suppose that's to be expected. The oldest Ascended I met, though, was very emotionless. Even their name was only '108' - the year they were created. I suppose it's possible that they all become that way over time, given decades and centuries of life beneath the Voice's thumb. But if so it takes far longer than my experience with my friends among them." Sam, for instance, was the polar opposite of 108 in almost every way - barring his devotion to their goddess.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

"Oh. Wessex." Morgan repeated with clear (contemptuous) familiarity, thinking back to the awkward and angry conversation she'd had with the woman not too long before. The story Jigano told was convoluted and a little difficult to follow but kept in with what she thought of Wessex so far. "I see. She did not seem reasonable when I spoke to her." While she did not have much experience fighting giant snakes, she could easily believe that the Ascended ex-Queen wouldn't be helpful in that situation.

Morgan knew admittedly very little about the Fae. "How did she nearly cause war?" She asked, unsure what conflicts existed between the Hollowed Grounds and the Greatwood. "Could you not have presented your alternative instead of voting? Presumably you were not gagged." While she was on Jigano's side mostly for this issue, she did not see why he could not have spoken up for himself in the scenario he suggested.

Jigano's answer about personality at least made her feel relief that it was not an instant or quick transformation, that there would still be time to fix things. She asked no more on that, not caring to know the names of his Ascended friends (it was never good to know the names of people you might later be in battle against).

Morgan

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano was petty enough to take a little pleasure in hearing that Wessex had plied someone else with her 'charms' and come up empty. He nodded in agreement with the Halovian General, but at her next question his jaw tightened at the memory. "After the Voice's Blight ravaged the Greatwood, Wessex and some of the other Ascended intruded on Fae land for the purpose of desecrating one of their ancient holy places," he explained, voice level but disapproval simmering in his eyes. "In the Greatwood is a tree called the Mathair, which once held a minor goddess or powerful spirit, one important to the Fae. Wessex and her kin attacked the tree, killing its Fae guards and assisting the Voice in killing the tree's spirit, replacing it with one of their portals. Given that Wessex was Queen at the time, the Fae held all of the Hollowed Grounds responsible and closed the borders to all Grounders for as long as Wessex ruled."

He tilted his head in acknowledgment of Morgan's point on the voting. "We were not gagged, no, but we were also given a time limit in which to cast our ballots. If those of us who sought an alternative had held back our votes then only those cast in her favor would have been in the bowl, and she would have remained Queen. And there was no single, obvious alternative." He sighed. "The Council, at least, has been the most stable government the Grounds has had in the past year and a half."
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Morgan listened closely to what had happened to the Fae, the subject of a personal interest to her: when she had been on her brief visit to the Greatwood, she had not seen any of it's locals and she had to admit she was curious to know more. Of a people that weren't just of a different relationship to the Gods or held new abilities, but who were an actual different species...it was very interesting.

"...What...careless destruction. Have the Fae had their appropriate revenge?" She was wondering if she might find an ally there in the people of the Greatwood when she underwent her mission.

It was unclear whether Jigano was just bitter about the government or if they were actually in any way insufficient. Morgan supposed further research might need to be done. Deimos had seemed to approve of his Queen Rexanna well enough, at least. "How involved are the council in the daily life of those in the Grounds?"

Morgan

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"The Ascended are banned from the Greatwood still, though I've seen Wessex continue to break that decree," he added with a frown for the fiery luxere that had come through the portal, the night Abasi had died. "And the Fae will attack any Ascended they find in their territory. Beyond that, though... no, they've mostly remained in the confines of the Greatwood and had little interaction with us since." He had been shocked, in truth, that they hadn't done more, but they weren't human and perhaps above his own petty grudges.

He had offered Morgan the opportunity to interrogate him, and he hid a rueful smile as her questions became more pointed. Jigano sipped his cooling cider to soothe his throat and compose his thoughts as he met the Captain's stoic eyes. "A lighter touch than Zariah," he said dryly. "But more engaged with our people as a whole than Wessex was, I'd say. We've divided up duties among the Council to try and balance different needs and views. Deimos oversees the peace of the Grounds and trains all who ask in self defense. I seek to help new Outlanders settle in and present their concerns and ideas to the rest of the Council, while Sam does the same for the Naturals with their own needs. We have a Healer to oversee the health of our people and defend against something like the Blight returning," or did, before timey wimey "and a Natural woman known for her piety and service to the Old Gods to advise and guide our decisions as well." It was a delicate way of putting Amalia's balancing position to Rexanna's Ascended nature, for those who were uncomfortable approaching the Ascended on the Council.

"How does Neron's cabinet work here?"
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

"She still breaks it? I am not surprised, with all the irrational rebellion she showed me. A dangerous woman." Morgan said surely, shaking her head. "Someone should tell the Fae what she is doing. They may be inspired to leave their woods and take proper action." Action that she would thoroughly support, if it stopped the Ascended spreading their influence over the area. It seemed all of Caido was dealing with this issue at once - she would not have Halo go the same way.

Morgan recognised one name from the council, Deimos: the others were mysteries to her. "This 'Sam', he represents the Naturals..is he Ascended?" It was clear she would not be happy if he was.

As for Jigano's own question, she had to bite back the temptation to say 'not very well'. "He consults those of us on his cabinet when he has decisions to make. I have been left to do my job as I used to, for the most part. I organise the guards and the smaller military operations as well as some of the communication with local businesses. Loren handles medical needs and Zariah..." She shrugged. "There are some workers that are better than others. Neron is in a dangerous position though, as an Ascended Outlander, with his reputation among the people here."

Morgan

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano nodded emphatically, glad to have found someone else who understood the threat Wessex could pose - had posed before, to himself and others. "The Fae know," he assured her, but there was a faint grimace underlying his words. "They shot her, the last time I saw her in their woods, but she has a power... an ability to teleport. To leap through space, like a portal she can use to go from anywhere, to anywhere. It makes it hard to follow when you don't know if she's just appeared behind you, or halfway across the known world."

He was surprised that Morgan knew of Sam's race, but then, the bookmaker had been visiting Loren here in Halo quite a lot before things had broken off between them and he tilted his head in acknowledgment. "He is, and Amalia's brother," he clarified. "He is one of the Voice's more ardent worshipers, but he is a poet. A bookmaker. A gentle soul at heart, unlike Wessex. And he was the only one who wanted the position," he added, still proud that his friend had stood up for his people in spite of how little he liked the spotlight.

Morgan's description of Halo politics started off well; clipped, but functional, at least until Zariah's name came up and Jigano's eyes narrowed slightly. He said nothing, unsure what her own relationship with the Merciless was, though it sounded as though the former-Tyrant wasn't pulling her own weight here, either. But that last bit... "Neron... an Ascended?!" he asked, eyes widening in shock. "But he's a mage - an Abandoned. That shouldn't..." Ah, but there was Rex, wasn't there? What could be done once could be done again, and he subsided into silence though unpleasant surprise was still writ across his expression. "...How long?"
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Hearing that Wessex had such a magnificent power was a blow to be sure. Morgan was not easily frightened and she wasn't now, but there was definitely something alarmed in her eyes for a moment. It would be something else to plan around, if it ever came to fighting the Ascended's Demi Goddess.

While that passed comment, that Amalia had an Ascended brother certainly didn't. "Amalia?! ...She..seemed very keen, when I met her, to act against the Ascended." Morgan did not say anything about how she'd agreed to do that, but her surprise at the news couldn't be contained: in fact she began to worry there might be a possibility of Amalia betraying her.. "How close is she to Sam?"

She realised that Neron's Ascension was still not commonly know at Jigano's surprise, but actually did not regret letting that information out: the more that knew, the more that might support her eventual move against him. "A week or so. He explained to me all the benefits, but I fail to see them."

Morgan

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano was a little surprised that Morgan hadn't known of Wessex's ability, given how she'd showed it off within the Grounds. "That, her claws, and that... sickness-bubble she has... all make for a nasty combination. And I've seen her copy the powers of an Abandoned before, too," he added with a grimace, remembering how she'd mimicked his Healing when they'd been trying to fix Amalia's broken back after the Temple collapse. "Without biting, that is." He wasn't sure how much Morgan knew about the usual Ascended toolkit, but Wessex broke all the known rules on the base model.

The Captain seemed far more concerned about Amalia, though, and Jigano felt a pang of alarm that perhaps he had said too much. Still... their allies wouldn't appreciate being lied to, even by omission. "It is a recent discovery, not widely known," he demurred. "They were not close before this, and it is not my business to share, so I would request you keep the knowledge to yourself. I can assure you that she is a fervent supporter of the Old Gods and their wishes - and their position against the Voice," he said as diplomatically as possible. "As are many of us within the Hollowed Grounds. But the Naturals there have also grown up alongside Ascended their whole lives, and Outlanders who arrive ignorant of the Voice make friends with mortals before they learn about the gods." He gave a hesitant shrug. "It is a hard position to be in, knowing that your friends were tricked or bribed into following a goddess that has caused such harm." He met Morgan's gaze soberly. "Do not mistake our resolve to stand against the Voice as a desire for genocide. We'll stop the Voice if we can, thwart her whenever and wherever possible, but if there's a way to protect our people while doing so, we will." The world rarely allowed for ideals, of course, but they gave something to aim for.

It was his turn to be surprised at her revelation on Neron, though the short time frame made it somewhat more sensible. Still, he frowned. "Ascended on two thrones? That... may not bode well," he admitted quietly. "There is a certain subtlety at work, here. Not a war of violence but of infiltration. I wonder what that clockwork cozener is planning..."
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

Luckily, Morgan had not yet had to face Wessex on any grounds except that of conversation (where she felt she had been victorious and not the Ascended woman). Hearing of the many powers that the ex-Queen held Morgan knew the day it finally did have to come to battle - and if things kept going as they were, that day would arrive - she would have a difficult fight ahead of her. "A fearsome opponent. Everyone has weaknesses, though. We must simply find hers."

It was obvious Jigano was hesitant to tell her too much more about Amalia and her Ascended brother. Morgan nodded her acquiescence to keeping it a secret, not for the moment wanting to sour her relationship with Amalia in case the woman did prove to be a valuable ally. What she did not show any agreement to was Jigano's words on 'genocide', as he put it. She would not hesitate to take things to war against the Ascended if she felt it was necessary, and blood (fluid?) spilled was just a cost of the fight. "..There may come a day when you have to decide just who your 'people' are."

She nodded fervently to his comment on an infiltration. "This is what I fear. A slow and gradual take over. Seducing our people with their promised 'benefits' and trapping them in their life until the whole Citadel is nothing but Ascended."

Morgan

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He nodded grimly as to finding Wessex's weaknesses, though from what he'd seen and heard, sunlight and fire no longer troubled her like they did other Ascended. "Electricity should still work," he mused. "At least, as far as I know. It seems to slow them down. Most Ascended are particularly flammable; fire and sunlight are a danger to them, but Wessex seems to have gained some protection from both." The fiery little luxere, at least, hadn't even seemed to phase her.

Her strange ultimatum earned a raised brow from the bard. "Who else," he asked quietly, "has fought to keep the Ascended from your land? Fought and bled for it, Captain? I regret that I did not succeed - that it took a goddess's intervention to stop me from doing so - but who else has put action to their words?" The Captain herself, perhaps?

"So. The Voice sent Zariah here over a year ago before the Ascended could travel by portal, and now her fellow Launceleyn is not only ruler, but Ascended as well. Meanwhile her Academy brings more impressionable young mages seeking power into the fold, while the Voice hones her skills at turning Abandoned as well as Accepted into her Ascended pawns." He summed up the situation as he saw it as succinctly as possible, watching Morgan soberly. "It seems, Captain, that your fears are not unfounded. Do you have a plan for how to deal with this? ...Even if it means going against the Eirachi's will?" He was not the only one who would need to pick sides, after all.
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Change author:

"I thought they used electricity...?" Morgan asked, clearly perplexed: she had imagined the Ascended to be machines with crackling veins, using energy to power their every move. "Fire and light though...I saw her in bright daylight. It cannot be too powerful of a deterrent." At least in the summer months there could be a glare from the sun on the snow strong enough to turn the eyes of even the most determined viewer: perhaps that might get rid of the problem.

Jigano's question was fair enough she supposed, but she did have an argument back. "We have only now begun to see and deal with this threat. In time we will see who fights."

They could both agree about Zariah's worrying position, but Morgan shook her head at Jiganos last question. "I cannot share military plans with a stranger, no matter how well regarded. There are some things that must stay within Halo's walls." Hopefully he would understand.

Morgan