Exploring something new
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 14 - Int:
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Whimzi Offline
Change author:
MP: 35
The whole idea was foreign to me - wanting to change oneself in such a drastic way. But, in saying that, I also couldn't deny that the culture on Earth to adjust one's body using various surgical techniques was not a foreign practice - just not one I partook in. I offer a slanted smile as he compliments the head on my shoulders - it was not the first time I had been told such a thing, though it had been many years since someone mentioned it.

"I like to have all the facts - or at least as many as are available - on a subject. Drives most people insane with the amount of questions I can come up with," I chuckle softly, thinking on all of the questions I had asked almost everyone I had come across since arriving here.

"The gods of Earth were nothing more than stories written by mere mortal men who saw a chance to enthral the masses and make a grab for power." I comment dryly, having very little love for the so-called gods of Earth. "No magic, per say, but very advanced science. Can't say I ever saw an ice palace before coming here," another chuckle, as nostalgia softened my façade. I took a sip of cider.

"Why the pointy teeth?" I ask, pointing to my own canine teeth to clarify, not recalling in this moment any mention of why the Ascended looked so much like the vampires from stories on Earth.
Chulane
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 23 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
the hailstorm
"Let it drive them insane," Neron said with a smooth grin. "Better to have all of the facts than to go into something blind, or misguided." As a former lawyer, he could definitely vouch for that. "So if you have questions and I can answer them, by all means ask away."

Tilting his head as Chulane explained about the gods of his world (or rather, the stories made up to call them into existence) and the lack of magic, Neron couldn't help but feel envious. "It sounds wonderful. I'm sorry you ended up here," he said with a laugh. "An ice palace is hardly a fair trade for safety in the knowledge that you won't be cursed or tasked with something from a god."

The blatant curiosity about his status as Ascended ought to have been expected, and Neron had literally just invited questions. Still, it wasn't a subject he felt all that comfortable discussing, given how new it was to him. "All the better to bite you with?" He smirked. "I believe it's to interface with other races. With a bite, we are able to take on attributes of Abandoned or Attuned, even Accepted or those fabled demi gods people talk about."
Ningo Farmer

Age: 30 | Height: 185cm | 6'1" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
"It was wonderful, but also broken in its own way," I offered with a shrug. I had mostly come to terms that my world was something I would never get to see again, and did my best to embrace this new reality. I didn't bother elaborating on what was broken about it - greed and wealth hoarded by a select few causing the rest of the world to perish wasn't something I was keen on discussing right now.

An eyebrow raised as Neron explained his teeth, the implications of it all pretty astounding to me. "And what happens to the other party after this interface? Do they retain their abilities still, or…?" I stop my question, realising that I had just gone full science nerd on the poor man, letting my questions run away with me. They were posed without accusation or assumption, instead with the innocence of one who simply does not know, and would like to.

I hoped I didn't cause offence to the Warden of the Citadel - and I gave him an apologetic smile as I awaited his response.
Chulane
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Age: 29 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
the hailstorm
"As all worlds tend to be," Neron said with understanding, nodding to the other man; had he a glass with him, he'd have raised it in a toast. Happy to close that subject off - however well adjusted Chulane might be, Neron knew how jarring it could be to continually discuss a place you had once called home, but would never see again - he heard him out as he continued to ask questions about the Ascended.

Awkward it might be, but the more they spoke about it, the more Neron got the chance to wrap his head around the idea himself. "They retain their abilities, yes," he explained. "As far as I understand, other than the blood loss, they are completely unharmed. The process is pleasurable, even - figure that one out." He smirked.
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
What an intriguing development - my mind did its best to understand all that the Ascended were, to fathom how and why one would choose to become one. "Fascinating," I comment softly, very much embracing the science-nerd within me and just rolling with it. "Pleasurable?" I repeat, wondering at just what that meant, not really expecting any further elaboration though - the question was posed more as a rhetorical one than one I wanted answered here and now.

"So what're the downsides to this whole Ascension thing?" I spread my hands as if searching for an answer, my tones light and friendly as it has been this whole time. "Besides borrowing abilities from the other races, why else would you need to bite them?" What else was in it for them? It sounded a lot like turning one's body into a weapon, with little other purpose except the detriment of the other races - though perhaps I was too clouded by what others had told me of the Voice so far, and leaping to incorrect conclusions. I awaited his response with avid interest.
Chulane
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
"Mm. From what I understand it is the only time Ascended can feel physical pleasure, and it's a similar feeling for the other person. I suppose it makes sense, if interfacing is to be encouraged." The reasoning was understandable, not that Neron had found cause to, er, experiment. As for downsides, he couldn't help but grin, sitting up in his seat.

"Well... if you're the type who enjoys food and drink, you're likely not to find it worth it. The sense of taste and smell is very much numbed, though the other senses are heightened. I don't feel pain or pleasure, and being in the sun lends a risk of... well, combustion," he explained. "Like something out of a horror story, isn't it?"
Ningo Farmer

AUNI - Mythical - Luxere
Change author:
"Combustion?" I ask, the surprise clearly evident, though at this point, I am not sure I should be surprised. So this was Caido's version of vampires in more ways than one, apparently. "You're not kidding," I remark to his horror story comment, my head shaking slightly.

"Sorry - what I mean is, where I am from, there are stories about fanged humans who can't bear the sun and need to drink the blood of mortals to survive. Though occasionally, when they bit another, the other turned into one as well." I follow up, a wry smile touching my lips. "I'm starting to wonder whether those who wrote the stories originated on Earth after all."

I shifted my weight, aware of the time and not wanting to press more questions on the man lest I wear out my welcome. Taking a gulp from my drink, I offer him a soft smile. "Well Neron, I've really enjoyed getting to know you. If you ever need a drop of blood, or want to experience a shift, let me know." I made the offer easily, shrugging, not really completely understanding the depths of his use of the word 'pleasurable' in this sense.

I finish my drink and rise, offering the man my hand to shake, before exiting the Kraai and making my way back to the lodge for the evening.

--

Hope you're OK to wrap this up Honey <3
c h u l a n e
Neron Launceleyn
the Hailstorm
Barman at the VlamVloed

Change author:
the hailstorm
Neron could only bounce his eyebrows in agreement with Chulane; there was no need to apologise, truly, and the (now ex-)Warden could only agree with him. "Oh? I can't say that I have heard of such a thing here. The only one capable of making Ascended is the Voice. And honestly, it's probably better it stayed that way." She was all about making that choice, and Neron got the feeling that some of his new brothers and sisters would not be so virtuous, in a bind.

"Oh - uh, sure," Neron replied, too caught off guard to properly respond at the other man's offer, merely taking his hand to shake it and nodding a goodbye. He didn't think it would ever come to that - drinking from others - but then again, Neron had no idea what awaited him in a future that was just around the corner...

That's fine with me!

~FIN