In the Lights You Make
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
- NATE -
We'll get married or buried
We'll have a baby or kill someone
"Well, the stars are pretty hard to compete with." Nate admitted easily, unable to even imagine a reality like that, but wanting to support the girl anyway. "But I think if anywhere was going to be close, it would be here." He turned to offer her a smile, well aware he was breaking his own suggestion, but it was a safer topic, a safer line of conversation.

Of course, it didn't stop with one question, one answer, and again Nate was left with an answer he had to sanitize, make kinder to say out loud. "I uh... I lived in a big city. It would have covered everything you can see here." He gestured out at the coastline, the jungle, the rocky face of Apopo. "There was lots of people around, and it was always loud."

It wasn't the first time he'd done it, but for some reason it felt different to talk about home like this, made everything from that life seem very far away, almost fake. The life he had now was so different, so far removed from what he had always known, and it was a little strange to realize how strange the fit was. Though he did his best to keep the sudden drop in his head off of his face, not wanting to be a cause of concern for Seren.
Well, I can't decide what to try
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Seren
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Destined to seek, destined to know
She was quite sensitive to moods, and the way he spoke of his hometown perhaps gave away more than Nate intended. A small hand reached out to take his, in quiet sympathy.

"Do you miss home too sometimes?" There was a world of kindness in the little girl's voice, and for a moment her eyes conveyed a depth of understanding that perhaps wasn't normal for a child. But then, she wasn't really a normal kid, was she.
I am a princess on the way to my throne
Destined to reign, destined to roam
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
- NATE -
A small hand reaches out to take his, such a thoughtful gesture that for a moment Nate doesn't say anything at all, just looks down and works his jaw. Slowly though, he makes himself nod, and look towards her. "I miss it because it's what I know. But... it's good to see new things too, right?" He grins, then looks out towards the ocean. "And being here feels like being home." A rather grand declaration, but hey. It's true.

He refuses to let himself be vulnerable for long, even to a child, and as quickly as he can he tries to focus back on her, a question on his lips alongside his smile. "Do you like it here? Even though it's not the stars?"
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren
"You are home, silly," the girl smiled. "You live here. With Sunjata and Haai. And me and daddy and Remi. And the sea and the stars. And the lighthouse." It seemed completely obvious to her, so beautifully simple in its essence.

"Yes!" came her firm reply, when the question was offered. "I love the sea and the sky and the wind and everything. And everyone." And if she sometimes felt a bit lonely, being out here without other children to play with, so what? She had proper friends anyway.

"What do you play when you are not being doctor?" she asked, curious.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
The smile offered towards him was mirrored back easily, some part of her words, the innocent insistence, the simplicity, something, reverberated in Nate's chest, had him nodding gently along. "I guess I am, aren't I?" He laughed, then turned to look back at the house, his gaze lingering, just a moment, at the horizon while he did.

"It's good that you like it here." He laughed, before shaking his head and correcting himself. "That you love it here." That had to be a good sign, right? Nate knew that as a child he would have never said he liked where he was, much less loved it. He knew that wasn't all it took to make a happy, well adjusted child, but it had to at least be the first step.

And they were moving along quickly, to a question that Nate knew the answer to immediately, but it was maybe a little too adult an answer to just blurt out. Something about being in Sunjata's bed, when it was even bothered with. "I like to swim. And explore along the beach. And I spend time boxing sometimes." There. A perfectly safe answer.
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Possibly there were no such things as too adult answers when it came to kids. Just follow up questions that might be embarrassing to explain, and better left to parents. At least the answers he did offer were ones Seren could agree with, as they aligned with her own.

"Ooh, I want to swim too! And I explore, and Sunjata said he would teach me to box when I am bigger!" she told him with growing enthusiasm. Especially the last part was something she really looked forward to. "I am glad you live here, now I will have someone to play with!"

It was clear they would be able to have a grand time, eventually. Once Father had given his approval, and Seren had gotten a bit bigger. It made her feel less impatient about the swiftly setting sun, the knowing that she had to go home soon.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
The excitement of children is more than a little infectious, and Nate can't help the way his smile widens when he looks over at the girl sat beside him, his eyes warm. Children had never really crossed his mind before, and while the idea of it wasn't really crossing his mind, a seed had been planted, something to bloom while he worked on getting his shit together.

"I guess its good luck that I moved in here then, huh?" He offers brightly, shifting on his chair to face her more completely. "Or maybe, someone," Nate looked around, then pointed up towards the sky with a wink, "is looking out for you." It was a presumptuous claim, but ultimately harmless in his opinion.

Nate glanced out towards the sun, the sliver of it that was left on the horizon, and hummed. "Is your daddy going to be upset if you're home late?" He asked softly, wanting to keep her form getting in trouble. And keep himself out of trouble.
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Presumptuous or not, it made the girl look up towards the sky all the same. Wide eyed and wondering. Was Mother really watching her? Har she helped bring people around whom Seren could play with, and love, and learn from?

"Thank you, Mama!" she told the clouds, just in case. They were blushing with color now, painted with the hues of setting sun, and it was a beautiful display.

Alas, Nate was right. It did signal the time when she had to go back to her own house. Seren pouted slightly. Didn't want to leave yet.

"Not really upset," she tried. Kicked her legs a bit. "Can I come back and play later?" She looked up at him, quietly hopeful.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Maybe talking to kids wasn't as difficult as he'd thought at first. Whether it was true or not, the idea that Safrin was watching, was influencing the world around Seren seemed to enchant her. Nate smiled softly as she thanked the sky, the rosy clouds, and glanced up himself, taking in the stars starting to wink in the deepest blue parts of the sky.

The soft complaint is met with a bright laugh, Nate shaking his head before he even speaks. "Not really upset, huh? Well maybe not at you, but I don't want to get in trouble for keeping you up." What a shitty first meeting that would be. "Course you can come back. After you've gotten some sleep, and permission." Who was he to say no to such a pleading face?
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
Seren sighed. That was a risk, wasn't it? And the didn't want to get Nate into trouble. At least she had the promise that she could come back - there might be a little girl knocking on the door the following morning, beware - and all the other half made promises to look forward to.

"Okay. So daddy will not be upset with you. Goodnight Nate! Relenting, the girl held out her arms for him, all but demanding a hug.

Then she slid down from the bench and lingered just a bit longer to pet Haai goodnight too. Just leaving was unthinkable. That would be rude. And boring.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
Nate smiled, wide and easy, already anticipating the inevitable knocks on the door, the excited questions, the conversations where he never quite felt on balance. It woke something a little strange in his chest, a gentleness he hadn't really thought he was capable of, yet here he was.

"Thank you for looking out for me." He offered brightly, hesitating a moment before opening his arms to her, hugging her gently. "Goodnight Seren. Have a good nights sleep, okay?" His hand came up to wave goodbye, pausing for a moment as she made a beeline to the griffin, a grin on his face.

Haai leaned into the goodnight touch happily, offering slobbery kisses in return. Nate hummed softly, then leaned forward. "Why don't you let Haai walk you home?" He suggested, knowing it was only a few meters. But it kept the night a little longer for the girl.
Commitment or a gun
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren
It was a lot of Nate to hug for such a small child, but Seren did the best she could with her short arms. There was plenty of heart in it, and she beamed happily at him when she withdrew and slithered down from the bench.

She brigthened at the suggestion of bringing Haai along on the short trek back home. "Can I? thank you! Come on, Haai, let's go on adventure!"

There were plenty of shadows to sneak through, rocks to skip over, flowers to sniff and treasures to find and hide on her way through the garden, but though she didn't exactly walk straight home, the girl didn't really disobey either. When she reached the door, the sun had finally dipped below the horizon, and she could only barely make out Nate on the porch of the other house.

Giving Haai a final hug, she sent the griffin back and gave her newest neighbor a cheery wave - just to show him that she was safely home.
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
- NATE -
"Course you can. She'll be happy to take you." Nate nodded towards the griffin, a mumbled command of 'gaan aan' leaving him as Haai followed the girl off the porch, creeping behind her through every little detour and side adventure on her way home. The rapidly encroaching dark did little to hinder Nate's vision as he watched Seren from the porch, but he didn't sit down again, not quite yet. If, somehow, something did happen, he wanted to be able to move as quickly as possible.

His worries paranoia were unnecessary though, Seren reaching her own front porch without incident. Though she wouldn't be able to see it, Nate smiled, lifting his hand back to her when she waved. He kept watching until Haai had returned to his side, until the girl had disappeared into her own home. And once he was sure she was safe, he returned to his seat on the porch, his quiet wait, though he longed to be inside now, in his bed.
Commitment or a gun