in this castle of glass
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Don't put your happiness in other people's hands
Happy to not have to keep up with the playacting anymore, Korbin straightened his back and waited while Loren prepared the next item on the list. "Don't even know what it is," he admitted easily, and gazed with some suspicion at the stick. What was he going to do with that?

Blinking at the explanation, Korbin glanced over at the horn again. "Huh... there is more to magic than they really talk about, isn't there... I mean, I've seen it all my life, and they use it to grow some stuff, but..." Again, there was a wistful longing lacing through his thoughts as he spoke of the magic.

Drawing in a breath, the young raven turned back to Loren, and tried to refocus on the job. "'Most' healers? But not everyone? And what if they're being idiots? When do you overrule them and heal anyway?" Too many questions at once, probably, but he was getting into this now. Found to his surprise that it really was interesting.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Nodding at Korbin's answer, Loren's eyes narrowed in concentration for a bit. A house cat appeared on the table in front of them. A tourniquet is something you use as a last resort, basically. When a wound is bleeding too much, you would tie it above the wound to stem the flow. Giving the hunter a serious look, the healer picked up the bandage. It can save someone's life. However, if not treated in time, the limb needs to be amputated.

With that, he had the cat lift up its paw. Wrapping the bandage around it slowly, he took up the stick. Shoving it through the hole he'd left, he began turning it until it was tight enough to cut off blood flow. Then, he tied it off. Allowing the other man enough time to inspect the tourniquet, the Launceleyn finally undid it. Your turn.

As Korbin grew a bit wistful about magic, Loren gave the other man an understanding smile. There really is. But...magic is just a tool, really. One that doesn't always make things easier, and one that is hardly necessary. He gestured at the bandages and medicine before them as evidence of that. Then his lips twitched with wry amusement. Although I'm sure me saying that isn't super convincing.

Taking a deep breath, he drummed his fingers on the table. If you're interested in magic, I can teach you what I know about that as well. It was a tentative offer, since he really didn't know how the hunter would react.

Expression growing slightly embarrassed, the healer ran a hand through his hair. Still, he nodded. Most healers. I have a ah, mutation, that allows me to heal at a distance. Shrugging, he shook his head a bit. I wish I had an answer for you, but I don't. You just have to use your best judgment and determine how much of an idiot they're being. Again, it was clear how much that idea upset the Launceleyn.

Then an idea struck him. Look, you know how upset you were when I came in here and tried to make changes without taking the time to get to know Halo? Think of bodies as everyone's personal Halo. It was an imperfect metaphor, but hopefully it would help.
look at how a single candle can both
defy and define the darkness
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Taken aback by the sudden appearance of the cat, Krobin tried to resist the urge to pet it in favor of focusing on the instruction. It felt more than a little strange to apply the technique on the animal - it was so small, and he didn't want to hurt it - but like before, he shunted his misgivings aside. "Will cutting the limb off really make it bleed less?" he had to ask though, with a somewhat skeptic tone. The image of a chopped off hand spurting blood everywhere made him a bit queasy.

"Indeed, it's not," he agreed dryly, thinking back on the summoned dragon, the tricks with the snow, how his broken arm had been repaired seemingly without effort. "It's a very powerful and practical tool, then, and one I'd give a great deal to have."

Checking the tightness of the tourniquet, Korbin absently stroked the soft fur of the feline, while waiting for Loren to approve or correct what he'd done. "I... do want to know more," he admitted. "Just don't know what good it will do me, if I can't use it myself."

The analogy Loren offered made Korbin wince. It was a little too apt, and he made a rueful face. "If that's the case, then I should probably stop here and go back to doing nothing," he said. "Part of me would rather see Halo depopulated and dead before it's changed from the way it is now... No doubt I'm just as much a stubborn fool as those patients."

Not something he was really proud of, but the resistance was still there in him.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
When Korbin hesitated, Loren sighed. It's not real. However, the hunter's question caused the healer to frown. No, sorry. The pressure from the tourniquet cuts off the flow of blood. However, if you leave the tourniquet on for too long the limb needs to be amputated. If you do have to amputate, the limb will likely need to be cauterized.

Hesitating, the healer gave the other man an apologetic look. This might be a case where you should be careful what you wish for. The only Attuned I know who developed magic were cursed by the gods. The Launceleyn bit his lip. From all reports, it's a deeply unpleasant experience.

Thankfully, Korbin was a quick study, and Loren gave the hunter an approving look. Excellent. Just make sure you tie it off correctly. With that, the healer redid the final knot. Then he undid it, and gestured for the other man to take another stab at it.

As for learning more about magic, it might help you work better with others who have it. The Launceleyn smiled encouragingly at Korbin. Then the healer let out a huff of laughter. Perhaps it wasn't the most apt analogy then. Most people are happy to receive healing. It's always just best to ask.

Pausing, he drummed his fingers on the table. Maybe this is a better way to think of it. If the Citadel was on fire, most people would want to put it out, right? But there might be those rare few who argue that we should let it burn, and rebuild from the ashes. However, he shook his head. Regardless, the point is, consent and permission is important.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Not real? It looked very real to him. Breathing, soft, warm, with a pulse he could feel under his hands... and gazing into the eyes of the cat, he had to wonder. "Oh. That makes more sense," he replied, as Loren explained more in depth what he meant.

Korbin was quiet for a bit as he worked on redoing the knot, until the tourniquet was made to Loren's satisfaction. "Well," he replied eventually, "I seem to attract more curses than favors already. Perhaps it's just as well that I like magic, if this is any indication of what my luck has in store." There was a hiccup for added emphasis, and Korbin's thoughts were accompanied by dry humor. "How much worse can it get, really?"

The comparisons was beginning to derail a bit, but the point did get across. "Consent is key, got it. Doubt I'll be in a position to make any life-altering decisions for a while anyway."
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Thankfully, Loren's further explanation about tourniquets made sense to Korbin. Dismissing the cat, the healer gathered the medicine and supplies they'd used so far. Next, let's go over some basic medicines. He gestured for the hunter to join the Launceleyn as he headed towards one of the nearby shelves.

Taking up the jars and vials, he showed them off one by one. This is a numbing cream. You put this one in water and it helps fight fevers. This one helps prevent wounds from rotting. He grinned at the other man. One day, you'll know how to make all these. For now, I just need you to identify them, though they're all labeled. Holding them out for Korbin, Loren waited for the hunter to look them over.

When they talked about curses, the healer bit his lip. You probably don't want my advice, but I would avoid tempting fate. Life's hard enough without the gods' wrath. As the hunter went on, the Launceleyn grimaced. Let's not find out. For a moment, his easy demeanor faded away, leaving him grief stricken.

Taking a deep breath, he forced a smile onto his features. It gained a wry edge as the other man went on. You'd be surprised. And never sell yourself short.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
With his efforts approved, Korbin turned to the next task. He did indeed take the time to read the labels properly, and opened each jar in turn to look at the contents, and sniff at the sharp odors that rose from them. To make it easier to remember which was which, in case there was a hurry some time.

"I'm not gonna go kick at any shrines, no," Korbin replied absently, "but I don't see a reason not to say things the way they are. I've got bad luck, that's just plain fact."

Why else would he be here, cursed and sniffing salves and torturing kittens instead of working together with his parents and brother on whatever? Bad luck had followed ever since he attuned, it seemed to him. Why else would his father die, his Mother disappear and his brother get killed? Why else was he twice cursed and stuck with outlanders running around his home as they pleased?

"I'm not selling myself short, I'm being realisitc, Loren," the toung man replied, with a hint of amusement. "Given I just learned how to do the very basics, I'm more likely to cause more damage than help anyone just yet. It's better for everyone if you don't expect too much here."

Fastening the lid on the last jar, he went over them again, and again. Wouldn't be able to memorize them all today, but he would do his best. That was really all he ever could do.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin complained about his luck, Loren stilled. Taking a deep breath, he returned the jar he was holding back to its rightful place. Then he turned and practically glared at the raven. So what? Luck can change. It did for me. And even if it doesn't, that's no excuse not to try and make the most of your life. It took me a while to learn that, so I'd advise you to figure it out more quickly than I did.

Walking towards the hunter, the healer cuffed the other man in the back of the head, albeit gently. I had a shitty life for a very, very long time. Now though? I'm happy. The Launceleyn shook his head. But if you're constantly focusing on everything bad, you'll miss all the good. The thoughts had gentled somewhat, though there was still an annoyed edge to them.

As Korbin went on to explain why he didn't think he should be trusted with anyone's health and safety, Loren raised his eyebrows. Alright, indulge me. Hypothetically, you're out hunting with a partner. Your partner takes a nasty cut to the leg, and it's bleeding too much. What do you do?
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
The intensity of Loren's counter took the young raven by surprise. But he quickly recovered, snorting... or intended to. But as the Healer cuffed him over the head, it turned into an actual snarl, and Korbin backed out of reach quickly, his rejection of the gesture a sharp snap down the bond.

There was a familiarity to the gesture, a brotherly sort of affection that Korbin couldn't stand. It was too close, too casual, and he did not approve. Not from Loren. Not from anyone who wasn't Erebor.

"I don't expect anything good, and I'm never disappointed," he retorted in a clipped manner. "You're right, I really don't want your advice."

His jaw tight and with obvious trouble on reigning his temper down, the boy took a deep breath. Several, actually, and only replied to the scenario when he could remain civil about it.

"Hypothetically, I'd make a tourniquet to staunch the bleeding, and hope they survived long enough for me to drag them back to the Citadel. Realistically though, any injury on the Tundra is close to a death sentence." He didn't try to be negative; it was just too much a reality to pretend anything else.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
As Korbin pulled away, and spoke, Loren's eyes narrowed. Enough. It was a rebuke, and he didn't bother trying to hide how annoyed he was. I've had enough. Placing his hands flat on the table, he leaned forward, expression turning almost dangerous.

Enough of your snark, enough of your disrespect, enough of your rejections. His nostrils flared. I have been kind, and understanding, and patient with you, and aside from my status as an outsider, have not given you any reason to distrust me so far as I know. But you cannot effectively care for others unless you learn how to take care of yourself. There was something firm about that thought, an indication that he was unwilling to budge on that point.

Pushing off the table, he stalked off towards where he kept his teas. Pulling down some chamomile, he grabbed a pot and two cups as well, pointing at a different table, one with comfortable chairs. So no more lessons until we've talked about your attitude problem.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Korbin's lips twitched in that same snarl as Loren went off. Muscles feathered in his jaw as he felt the temper flaring, and his back straightened, expression turning colder and stiffer with every word.

"My... attitude problem?" he repeated incredulously. Korbin didn't so much as look towards the tea or the chairs, just remained standing where he was, hands clutched at his sides. "Alright, let's get a few things perfectly straight. We," he said, gesturing between them with a hand, "are not friends. We are not family. You have earned nothing from me, and I don't owe you any kind of respect.

"You're the one who offered me this job; the only reason I am here is to work, get paid and get on with
my life. That you are not part of, so stop sticking your nose in where it does not belong."

There was no end to the rejection in his tone. Korbin had never asked for kindness or understanding, just to be left the fuck alone.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Yes. Your attitude problem. Feathers flickered in Loren's hair as his teeth grew sharper. You have been rude and dismissive of me since the day we met. And yes, I fucked up a few times, but I apologized for that. Waving an angry hand over the kettle, filling it with hot water with his magic, he threw the leaves in to steep.

Meeting Korbin's gaze directly, the healer pressed his lips together. Seriously, what is your problem? You are the only Halovian I've met whose been actively hostile to me. Even though the others dislike me for being an outsider, they're at least willing to be open-minded about it. He spread his hands a bit. I've been wracking my brain for where I went wrong. Because I am more than willing to be your friend.

Then he took a deep breath. You took the job I offered, though. And here, in my infirmary of all places, yes, you do owe me respect. If you can't handle that tiny amount of responsibility, the door is right behind you. If the hunter wanted rejection, if he wanted to be alone, so be it. The Launceleyn was tired of holding out a hand and having the other man complain about it every step of the way.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
His mouth twisted into a mockery of a smile and disappeared again, his gaze flat and void of any of the humor that had begun to become more frequent.

"Yeah, I have been, because I don't want your friendship, or your patience, or anything to do with your 'understanding' whatsoever. I don't need any of it, and I'm not going to pretend to accept you when I don't, just to spare some feelings."

Clearly Loren was expecting things from Korbin that he couldn't - wouldn't - give, even though he'd said he wasn't going to. Ha. So much for trusting his word. So much for letting anyone in. He'd known it wouldn't work.

"You don't know the first thing about my responsibilities. Candor was part of my job description, but fawning was not. So if you can't stand to listen to my honest opinions, fine."

Korbin turned on his heels and stalked towards the door. He would not be treated like a kid by someone who wasn't that much older than himself, and would certainly not stand around to be lectured when he'd only been telling the truth.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
You know what? I'm not going anywhere. Loren practically shoved the fact of that down his bond with Korbin. As much as you might not want to admit that, it's the truth. And I'm not asking you to be my friend, even if I'm more than willing to be yours. As the healer's fingernails started slowly shifting into claws, he forced himself to take a deep and calming breath.

I'm just asking you to treat me the same way you would anyone else. Also, you can be honest without being mean. Not making a move to follow the hunter, the Launceleyn just sank into the nearby chair. Sighing, he poured himself a cup of the tea.

He was going to need all the calm he could get.