in this castle of glass
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Don't put your happiness in other people's hands
It sounded overly optimistic, when Korbin really hadn't done anything but show a mild interest in the job. The idea of being directly responsible for the lives of actual people was daunting, incredibly so. But he had no doubt that saying that out loud would launch them into another 'discussion' about his attitude, so the boy kept quiet.

"Sounds manageable," he offered instead, sufficiently neutral to hide his doubts. He was a bit burned by the response from earlier; far from snarking, he didn't even disclose his genuine opinions now. "I assume you will tell me if I turn out to be hopelessly incompetent."

It wasn't really a question, or even a request.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Taking some roots, Loren began to grind them in his own mortar. Not responding to Korbin's first reply, the healer didn't glance up as he responded to the second. If it comes to that, yes, though I probably won't use exactly those words. There was a bit of a wry edge to the thought, though he was almost entirely closed off still.

Roots ground, he rummaged around for a bottle of alcohol, albeit one that was medicinal. That mint you just prepared. What effects does it have when made into a tea? Finally he looked up, meeting the hunter's gaze squarely. The Launceleyn was curious how the other man would respond to this pop quiz.
look at how a single candle can both
defy and define the darkness
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Korbin did look up, looking a bit puzzled. "Why not? Saying it nicely won't make a truth hurt any less. I'd rather have it delivered plainly and without pretense." It seemed the more honest thing to do, and definitely nicer than trying to spare any feelings by leaving him with illusions that weren't true. Perhaps it was because of his fondness for wordplay and habit of composing lyrics, but the raven was well aware of the power words possessed. That's why he didn't play around with the truth, or hold back. It was so easy to misunderstand.

Returning to his work, he thought back to the labels on the teas. "It relieves indigestion, is anti-inflammatory and aids in expanding airways," he replied, rather clinically. "It also helps mask more pungent flavors in other herbs, making them more easy to drink." The last was just a guess on his part, but it seemed a fair assumption as it had appeared in plenty of other teas.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Age: 30 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Sighing, Loren scrubbed a hand over his face at Korbin's words. Yes, it will. Trust me. Then the healer sighed again. Which I know is a big ask. Lowering his hand, he gave the hunter a steady look.

Nodding in approval at the other man's explanation, the Launceleyn smiled. Good memory. Picking up another vial, he poured some of the alcohol in it, careful not to spill any. It was followed by the root that he scraped careful into the mixture.

There's a book in the corner. It explains what all the plants in the infirmary are, how to care for them, and what uses they have in medicine. He pointed at the volume in question. I've already made a copy, so you're welcome to take that one with you. I'd like you to study it in your free time, and, once you're comfortable, start taking care of the herbs.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Surprise, surprise, Korbin didn't believe him. He thought it ridiculous, but settled for a shrug, clearly not buying it, but not going to argue the point when they wouldn't get anywhere with it anyway.

The praise and the smile ran off the young man like water off waxed canvas. He just resumed his work, and kept grinding herbs until Loren interrupted him again. Gazing off at the book in question, he couldn't help but frown a bit. He was supposed to work even when he wasn't working? It was presuming a great deal, to suggest the youngest Hale sibling had any free time to spare for reading.

"Alright," he replied, though there was a tightness to the reply he couldn't hide. Korbin was starting to wonder why he had taken this job in the first place. There were so many other things he could be doing... Why wasn't he doing those instead? Why did he torment himself by staying here when it made his skin crawl and every fibre of his being screamed to leave?

He didn't even make sense to himself anymore.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Putting a cap on the vial, Loren set it down carefully on the table. Then he sighed and pinched his nose. Full disclosure, I wasn't expecting you today and I didn't exactly have a lesson planned out. Lowering his hand, he placed both palms flat on the table and met Korbin's gaze. I'm sorry about that, and my outburst earlier. Again, the healer's thoughts and expression were both flat and rather devoid of emotion.

If you'd like to set up another time to come back, I can have something more specific ready for you. Or you can stay and watch and I'll explain what I'm doing as best I can. He waited patiently for the hunter's response.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Again with the apologies. They came easily to the Healer, it seemed, and Korbin couldn't tell if they were merely words or sincerely meant. How many times was it now? Sorry for that derailed training, sorry for the awful incident with the cannibal. Sorry for the bad end to the day when they'd been hunting, and now this. Korbin put his faith in actions, not words, and all he could see so far was that Loren was unstable. Chaotic. Quick to be caught up in trouble and just as quick to throw words around like it actually would excuse him from the consequences. No doubt there were plenty of good intentions, but did that really mean anything?

"What were you hoping for, when you offered me this job?" Korbin asked, quite intentionally ignoring the question, the alternatives offered. "While you're at it with the disclosures."

Not for the first time, he had a feeling that they were talking past each other. Striving for different things, working towards different goals. And that was well and good, but if they were to work together... at least they ought to know where they stood.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Sighing at Korbin's question, Loren just shook his head sadly. Running his hand through his hair, he glanced aside, the neutral mask slipping a bit. Underneath was mostly guilt and sorrow. However, he quickly smoothed over the cracks and slammed his mental walls back into place. More than I should have. The thoughts were matter of fact, albeit in a polite way.

Looking back at the hunter, the healer met the other man's gaze squarely. The Launceleyn placed his hands flat on the table so they wouldn't betray him with their usual nervous twitching. All I ask of you is that you show up and complete your tasks. Nothing more. It was a dismissal, of sorts, while also being an acceptance of the terms Korbin had laid out earlier.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Korbin gazed back, his own eyes just as steady and unyielding. If there were regrets or misgivings stirring within him, they didn't reveal themselves in his demeanor or through the bond; only steely resolve could be found, that effectively blocked out everything else the young raven might be feeling.

It was better this way.

"Alright," he replied, "good. Then I'll take that book and excuse myself for the day." Finishing up what he had been doing, Korbin began to clear off the tools, the herbs and his part of the work table.

Once that was done, he strode over to the book Loren had indicated, picked it up and tucked it under an arm. "Same time tomorrow?" he asked neutrally, with that dry, efficient distance that apparently would be the normal tone between them from now on.
They'll drop it
KORBIN
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Still keeping himself fully shut off, in his mind and on his face, Loren just nodded at Korbin's words. Same time tomorrow. With that, the Grand Healer busied himself with cleaning up the supplies he'd had his new assistant working with. First were the bandages and the tourniquet, followed by the herbs and the mortar and pestle; finally, the Launceleyn cleaned up the untouched tea.

If this new wall between himself and the other man bothered Loren, he kept that hidden as well. As soon as the former hunter was out of sight, though, the Grand Healer would pause in his work.

Biting his lip, he would scrub his face angrily. Lowering his hands, they would clench into fists for just a moment as his frustration boiled over. However, with several deep breaths culminating in a sigh, he would eventually get back to work.
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
Nodding at the answer, Korbin took the book and quietly left. His taciturn silence lasted all the way into the corridor; only then did let out a long, quiet sigh. Closing his eyes, he paused for a moment, made a half hearted attempt at sorting out why he felt so miserable...

But he quickly gave up, and set off towards the Snowcloak. He had other things to attend to, another job - several actually - and not this brick of a book to read. No time to think, or feel; just the way he preferred things.

Loren would be a problem to wrestle with some other day.

--------
- FIN
They'll drop it
KORBIN