The Older I Get
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 35 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there's an ocean in my body
there's a river in my soul
Sam was no clearer as to who 'Ki' was after Zeph explained so for the time being he tried to swallow his curiosity and just find out when he entered the home. If this woman really was so jealous though, he worried that she might be mad he had been brought in to encroach on her space; he wasn't sure if he was ready for another round of romantic entanglement and complication just yet, especially when he wasn't even going to be getting anything out of it.

The houses were pleasant to look at at least and he smiled as he went past them, finding the architecture bright and airy compared to that in the Grounds, which was often built with functionality over all else. "Oh, I'm fine with mess, don't worry. My own house is full of books from floor to ceiling!" He admitted with a laugh and a wave of his hand, certain that whatever lay beyond the door wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as Zeph was making it sound to be.
if I see a sign in the sky tonight
No one's gonna tell me it's a trick of the light
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 25 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 10 - Int:
KI - Regular - Panther Chamelon
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
His crown lit up the way as he moved slowly
If only books were the only things making a mess of your house. There's another minute of hesitation as you consider trying to nope out of this whole situation... and then you sigh in resignation, fishing a key out of your pocket and fixing it in the lock. It jiggles a moment before popping open, the door swinging quietly in.

"Ki! I'm home, an' we got company."

Your front door opens to reveal a homey, if somewhat spartan, space. The main feature of your house is a large wooden table, on which there is spread a number of maps and some empty steins that once held ale. Off to the side, the kitchen houses a number of dirty dishes; a well-worn couch sits on the other side of the space, near the staircase that leads to your room. This, too, features a small table, with some half-carved wooden and coral structures next to a collection of tools.

There are two doors leading off the side. "Bathroom," you say, pointing to the first one. It leads to a small outdoor space, with a shower setup (a bucket and rope) as well as an outhouse. You shrug off the bag and set it near the coffee table. "This'll be yer room," you inform your guest, gesturing to the second door. "Just... gimme a sec t'clean it up. An' don't let Ki steal your shit!" Without giving him time to protest you slip into the room, obviously keen to put something away.

Meanwhile, Sam's bag now features a new addition: a small and nearly invisible lizard has climbed atop it and is using her two-fingered feet to attempt to open it, one eye on the contents, the other glaring at Sam.
past the wondering eyes of the ones that were left behind
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 35 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Zeph wasn't the only one to hesitate as they approached the door. Sam, ever full of anxiety, was beginning to fear that he might have intruded into this man's life too far, especially as he called out for this 'Ki'; he stepped inside nervously and slowly, looking this way and that for the woman he expected, barely even noticing the mess. When no one appeared he frowned, confused, but for the moment didn't say anything: maybe she wasn't home...?

As the moment passed Sam began to observe the home itself a little more. The empty jugs and plates...well, he decided the moment Zeph wasn't looking, he'd be doing some dishes. It would be a nice way to pay him back and personally, since he hadn't eaten regularly in years, he found dirty dishes a particularly egregious mess. Everything else was par for the course really, and he came forward to look at the map, fingers tracing over the corner. "Oh, I'm sure it's not so ba-- wait, what?" Zeph disappeared into the room and Sam was left once again to whip his head around in search of this 'Ki'.

With a sigh he went to reach for his bag, intending to find something to pay Zeph with for the room (some...socks? Goddess, Sam, what are you thinking) when he froze, seeing...something attempting to get inside. "Hey!" He reached out to try and gently push away the little thing, unsure what it was but not wanting it to get into his possessions. "Zeph, there's a...little...lizard thing here..?" Perhaps it was some kind of pest common in Torchline houses?
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Age: 42 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Sam's hand approaches the small lizard like a ham-fist from hell, or so it seems to her. Putting out her throat not very impressively, the creature gives a fair warning (again, so she thinks) before swatting out with har long tongue, faster than a speeding car, to (hopefully) swat him in the nose.

From the side room a shout comes: "Rae's tits, Ki, I toldja to behave!" You burst out of the door with a scowl on your face, swiftly reaching down to pick up the chameleon and deposit her on your shoulder. "'Scuse us, Red," you say tersely to your guest, then vanish into the side room again.

A muffled, seemingly one-sided conversation ensues, audible to Sam if he approaches the door: "Y'saw 'im come in with me - he's gonna be stayin' here for - no, Ki, he's harmless as a kitten - fine, harmless as you then, y'old scaly beast... Look, he's gonna get eaten alive out there. I ain't gettin' soft!- Oi, no bitin'! I can still squish ya if I want to!"

Yeah, so, maybe you've been alone too long, because you absolutely have conversations with your companion as though she could speak in sentences (and as though she can't just read your thoughts).

When you come back out a minute later it is rather more composed. Ki sits on your shoulder still, as visibly grumpy as a chameleon can be, but makes no effort to leave or bother Sam. "Sorry 'bout that, Red. Now, Ki, that's Sam. Sam, this little devil is my girl, Ki."
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The lizard's show of defiance didn't really bother Sam until suddenly there was a wet tongue on his nose and he stumbled back with a little yell, hands over his face. Zeph shortly came in and that was when Sam realised that Ki was the strange creature. His hands dropped slowly as he turned to watch Zeph go back into the side room, Sam unable to stop himself blinking in surprise. He had been worried on the way to the house that he might be too weird for Zeph: it seemed that was not going to be the case.

He tried his best to be polite and not listen to the 'conversation' Zeph had behind the closed door. Sam often had chats with Mia (who was staying with a neighbour for Deepfrost: she had not fancied the sound of Torchline, a Grounder cat through and through) so he didn't find it too weird that the man might talk to his chameleon. Words drifted through, words like 'kitten' and 'harmless'...he wasn't quite sure what was going on, but Sam was pretty sure Zeph was speaking about him.

Was he that defenseless? He supposed the other man didn't know he was Ascended, which as the moments dragged on was something he felt more weird about. Was it fair to tell him, if he was going to be living in his house? Sam was still mulling this over when Zeph and Ki re-emerged. "Oh, I see. Well, um...hello, Ki. I'm sorry if I startled you." He said as kindly as he could, trying to smile at the tiny creature.

Deciding, lizard introductions aside, that he had to say something, Sam took a breath to prepare himself then spoke. "There is something you should know. If I'm to stay here, because it might, I suppose, be an issue for you? I hope not, but...well, I'm Ascended."
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Ki fixes Sam with a look that would scream I ain't scared of you, two-legs, if only chameleons had facial expressions. To you it's obvious, her emotions radiating into your thoughts with all the familiarity of the sea breeze; "Knock it off or I'll tell Raz not to serve ya anymore," you scoff back dryly, raising up your hand to like gently at her side.

"Don't let her size trick ya, Red. She's a little shit-stirrer an' a devil to boot." On your shoulder Ki flicks out her tongue, swatting at your ear. It's distracting enough that you don't notice the man gearing up to drop his bomb until it's too late to stop it, your eyes growing wide in sudden alarm, head darting back. In the breaths between his hesitation and revelation your brain fills in scenarios. Idiot, knew you shouldn't have invited him now, gonna wind up being some sort of doll-collecting vegetarian murderer-

Or, y'know, an Ascended. Could be that, too.

You raise an eyebrow skeptically at the revelation, looking Red up and down with your lips pursed. "What, like... A bloodsucker? You?" In this moment, two things may become obvious to Sam:

1. You very much doubt he's Ascended, and
2. You have a very flawed idea of what an Ascended is
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
The implication that the lizard drank at the bar didn't entirely miss Sam though he didn't comment on it, not wanting to further incite Ki's ire. He thoroughly believed Zeph that she was as he put it a 'little shit stirrer and a devil': the chameleon had cold, dark eyes. Sam stared back into them for only a moment before he was defeated and had to glance away.

Sam nearly cringed at the reaction to his confession, seeing the expression on Zeph's face; the words blood sucker though...he frowned. "Well, that's not a very nice way to put it." He crossed his arms, not wanting to get mad with his new friend but finding himself struggling to speak nicely after hearing that. It took a long pause and a deep sigh out before he continued.

"Yes. I'm Ascended. I can drink blood, but don't worry. I'm not going to chase you for yours." He said, clearly sarcastic and not pleased. "Look - this should prove it." Opening his mouth, Sam pointed to his prominent fangs.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
Apparently you aren't supposed to call Ascendeds bloodsuckers. Who woulda guessed? Holding your own arms up in swift apology, you attempt to soothe the bruised ego of your new houseguest - while at the same time mentally keeping stock of where you have possible weaponry stashed. You know, just in case. "Aite, Red, my bad. Y'don' see a lotta their - yer - kind here in Torchline. Can't say I've met another one." Or if you have, you didn't know.

This is a new, sulky side of the man, and if you're being honest you find it almost adorable. Especially when he flips his lips open and displays his teeth, much like a kitten would bear its fangs. "Huh." Peering closer, you raise a finger as though to poke inside his mouth before Ki interjects that this would be a very strange thing to do. Your hand darts back to your side abruptly, expression a little abashed.

"I gotta say, it makes sense. Y're pale as sea foam." A crooked half-smile settles on your lips; you feel bad for making him uncomfortable, genuinely. "Heard 'cendeds caught fire if they - you - went in the sun. Not the best fit for a place like this."
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
At least Zephyr was swift to apologise and Sam supposed he likely hadn't met a lot of other Ascended. Most of the few that had visited Torchline had done so stealthily at night and other than Nate, as far as he knew none had settled there. He didn't notice the finger raising to reaching into his mouth; it was fortunate Zeph snatched it back because he chomped back down a moment later and sighed, rubbed his chin.

"...I've always been this pale. I..I've gotten a lot better in the sun over the years. Now it just makes me a little sore if I have it on my skin for too long." Besides, he'd become a master at positioning hats to cover his face, getting the right sleeve length to protect his wrists. "You're...alright with it, then? Some people have...objections...to people like me being around them, let alone in their house." Sam went to hold his arm, suddenly much more meek and hopeful than the anger moments prior.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
"Always?" He's certainly the palest person you've met, and the idea that he's always been that pasty speaks of a childhood kept away from the sun. "Think it does that t'everyone who bakes too long." It's another thing you'll have to work on while he's here, getting some color in that skin. A little bit of a tan, see if you can find some freckles...

Not your problem, Zeph!

His next comment and his weird shift in demeanor makes you pause and pull back, not quite sure what to make with it. Some people have objections to people like me is a knife into your chest, cutting down somewhere deep and opening up something strong. He looks so fragile as he says it, so vulnerable, expecting you to abandon him... for what?

Without thinking about it your arm suddenly snakes out, aiming to grab his chin between your fingers and pull his face toward yours, grip firm but gentle.

"I don't give a single flying fuck what yer race is, Red, y'hear me?" The intensity of your voice is only matched by your eyes as your search his face for understanding. "The person y'are is the shit y'do, not the blood in yer veins. Don't let anyone tell ya anythin' different - not even the gods."

Your hand lingers a beat longer before you drop it again, suddenly aware of the proximity, of what you've done. Abruptly you step back to place a comfortable pace between the pair of you, pressing your fingers through your hair. "So... yeah. My lettin' y'stay doesn't change 'cus'a yer race. An' frankly I'm a little hurt y'think I'm that much uva dick." The half-smile returns, softening the words, though you can still feel your heart racing in your throat.
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"Mhmm. ...My mother was always very pale too." Sam's family had certainly never been swarthy, a genetic line made of wispy pale redheads running strong through the generations. It was true though that he was unlikely to get anything worse than a bad sunburn from his time in Torchline and that was something to be happy about.

He wasn't sure what reaction he expected from Zeph in regards to his being Ascended; after the 'blood sucker' thing only moments prior he was not hopeful. Sam's eyes widened as his chin was suddenly grabbed, physical contact so unexpected he did nothing to stop it, his brain not keeping up with what was happening. He did hear Zeph though and when his face was released he had to blink back a couple of tears, moved by the intensity of the man's conviction.

Sam let out a weak laugh and shook his head at the last part. "You must understand, I've had a lot of trouble from many people. ...Even...my own half-sister, she struggles with it." Since Zeph would be hearing of Amalia for the first time, Sam didn't think their relation had to stay a secret. "There are those that work for the Old Gods that want the Ascended gone. It's difficult. Um...I'm very glad you're not like that though, so..thank you. ...Would it be rude of me to ask if you are...Accepted...?" He tilted his head, wanting to know where Zeph stood with the Gods.
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
If there's one thing you believe in, it's that people are what they make themselves, not what their race makes them. Your frown deepens at the mention of his sister, arms crossing over your chest unhappily. "Doesn' sound like much'uva sister," you remark in a low, grumpy voice. "Sounds like y'need better people'n yer life, Red."

Not to imply it would be you. Even though you are, indeed, here, letting him live in your house. Trying to make him feel better. Acting like a friend. You aren't the better people Sam needs, though. Not at all. Nope.

You pull a chair away from the table, turning it to sit backwards, arms on the back. Ki crawls her way to the top of your head, where she can act as sentry in your hair. She's not even trying to camouflage herself, and blue and red march with green across her sides. "Aye, plain ol' Accepted is all I got." Shrugging, you gesture that Sam should sit as well. "Look, Red- if we're spillin' secrets, I oughta tell you I don't hold much for gods and their ilk. Old, new. Whatever. For the most part I try'n ignore 'em, since they've done me the same courtesy." There's bitterness laced in your voice, and a flash of anger and pain in your eyes. "If that's an issue, well..." Again you shrug, trailing off. You're not going to house a preacher.
zephyr
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
"She...she's trying, I suppose." Sam shrugged, unsure of how to quantify his awkward relationship with Amalia. Zeph was right though: he'd thought for a while he could really do with a new circle of friends, which was why he'd been so excited about the prospect of coming somewhere else for a season. Maybe, he hoped, Zeph might become a friend.

The tone shifted as Zeph set out his rules and Sam nodded with a small grin. "Oh, don't worry. I'm tired of talking about the Gods. I've recently been trying to live life much more independently of the Voice anyway." Not that he'd been entirely successful at that, but when he needed to go back to her for fluid every 2 weeks it was difficult to be entirely separate; it had crossed his mind that he could try and find a way to get the fluid elsewhere, but that felt too much like admitting he wanted to leave.

"So." Sam clapped his hands on his thighs, eager to move on. "To pay you back for the lodgings, I could clean up? ..N..not to be insulting. I just. I noticed you had some dishes and um--" Rambling in a panic now that he'd accidentally called Zeph's house out for being a tip, Sam laced his fingers together. "--I could do that. If you wanted. But really, it's your house, so it's not my place, of course."
SAMuEL
Zephyr Kawaianu
Smuggler / Guildmaster

Change author:
You rest your chin on the back of your chair, tapping fingers on the wood while Ki clambers back off your head and onto your shoulder, demanding to be let loose on the table. Obediently your arm extends, though your eyes stay on Sam. His panicked comment about the state of your house earns a single, sudden, embarrassed laugh, abruptly dislodging the chameleon.

"Ay, now, it ain't that bad." Except that it absolutely is, and a flush has quickly crept up your neck, which you rub at awkwardly. "Wasn' always this bad. I'll put it together... yer a guest. Don' need t'do my dishes." Your voice is rough with uncomfortable emotion. You really shouldn't have let it get this bad. It's a fucking sty, Zeph. If El could see this-

Abruptly you stand, extending a hand to Sam. "C'mon. Let's grab some grub, an' I'll clean up tomorrow. I know a decent enough place."
zephyr