tear me to pieces, skin to bone
Loren!
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 4 - Strg: 19 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you had a heart, it's been gone since they left you
Korbin drew in a breath to declare a firm 'yes', but before the world came over his lips, he halted himself. He was a singer, a lyricist. Not quite a bard, but close enough; he knew the power of words well enough. Wasn't that what toppled Neron, in the end? Mutters had been wandering about him for a long time now, unchecked and unchallenged, so that when the disaster struck, none were left to support him. Words had undermined the Hailstorm, long before Zariah struck deals with the Eirachi.

Pursing his lips, he remained quiet. It was the closest to a concession he would come at the moment, but his silence gave Loren right all the same.

That silence held for a long time, as he considered Loren's second response. The jaws of the young man worked as his mind billowed back and forth, stubborn pride and silent thoughts warring against necessity.

"I don't trust easily," he said finally, and sought Loren's gaze, to hold it. His eyes were hard as blue flint... but that steel didn't seem to be directed at the healer. Not really. "I don't make friends easily either. It has taken the people of Snowcloak a lifetime and many kindnesses to my family to hold my loyalty." His gaze fell to the ground at his feet; he was clearly struggling to find the right words.

"That day at the infirmary... when you cuffed me over the head. That's something my father used to do. And my brother. Weaver too. But they're the only ones who ever did. And it... hurt. It felt as though you were trying to take their place. It's the feeling I've gotten ever since the cave."

His first rection to Loren had been the negative attitude towards an Outlander. The second, because he was defeated in a fight - what teenager would not rankle at that? - and what small gains Loren might've earned since were overshadowed by that sense of intrusion into a space that no one could ever fill.

He looked up, to see what Loren would repond, if he would at all.
- ever feel you grew up too fast?
Korbin
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
When Korbin didn't respond to Loren's question, he pressed his lips together. However, he was more than willing to let that conversation drop. Instead, he just met the Hale's gaze squarely as the other man spoke.

After Korbin finished, the healer's jaw feathered with tension. Taking a deep breath, he drew calm from Astra, who stood resolutely by his side. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to overstep, and I'm not trying to take anyone's place or be your friend." Not anymore hung unspoken on the tip of his tongue, but he swallowed it down.

Instead, he just tilted his head slightly to one side, neutral mask firmly back in place and mental walls up. "Is that all you wanted to talk about?" Somehow, he managed to speak in a politely neutral tone.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Age: 25 | Height: 6'3in (190 cm) | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He didn't miss the tension in the other man, but didn't know where it came from. Loren was difficult to read, and Korbin had more or less given up trying to understand him. When the apology came, it was not what he had expected. Korbin was surprised at how much the assurance helped... at least the first bit of it. The second, the part about not trying to be his friend, left him with a vague sense of disappointment.

As if he had somehow hoped it would be important enough for the other to fight for. But apparently not.

He closed his eyes, took a deep breath. In the depths of the pockets, Korbin's hands closed into fists... then relaxed as he exhaled in a slow, inaudible sigh.

"Thank you," he said quietly. "And for the harsh things I've said, and the rude way I've treated you in the past... I am sorry, too." He mulled it over for a moment, to see if he had anything else that needed saying... but in the end, the boy shrugged. It clearly didn't matter anymore.

"No, that was it," he said. "I can find someone else for the rest." It was clear that Loren was not keen to keep up this talk, and Korbin wouldn't press the man. Even if there were things he needed to know. But it wasn't urgent.

He turned away, meaning to leave and set up those work-parties. Unless Loren had anything else to say.
Korbin
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren waved away Korbin's apology. "No need to apologize. You didn't do anything but speak your mind, and I can't fault you for that." And if the healer's expression grew tight and sorrowful for a moment, well, there was a lot to be sad about other than a friendship that had never really gotten off the ground.

Nodding, he patted Astra one last time. "I imagine I'll be seeing you around." With that, he turned to go.

His destination was the former living quarters. Once he arrived, he knelt in the snow and began digging, combing through the ruins. He wanted to see if there was anything left of Jace's in the rubble; there'd be no body, and no one else to mourn Loren's nephew, but the healer needed to give Jace a proper send-off, if only for Loren's own peace of mind.

It wouldn't be the first time he'd burned belongings in lieu of a body, and he was deathly afraid it wouldn't be the last.
LOREN
Not quite an open book
Korbin Hale
Healer / Bartender

Change author:
He could have, and Korbin's expression suggested he wouldn't have faulted the man for doing so. But he didn't object. It was a closed subject now, blown over and dead, unless something required it to be addressed again.

"I've no doubt you will," he replied, with an attempted smile. It died too quickly though, and as Loren turned to leave, Korbin watched him go. His expression was hard to read, but when he stalked off to attend to his own business, there was something downcast over his looming silhouette.

That could have gone... a lot better. But possibly, they'd said all that needed saying. At least Korbin no longer felt like clawing the man's throat out, and that might be the only thing that really had to be accomplished.

-----

- FIN
Korbin