A Solitary Flower
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper could tell that Nephele was consciously trying to set her at ease, but it still worked. She sat on the couch, putting the folded blanket down next to her. At the moment, Nephele didn't seem to present a physical threat; Juniper remained aware that their encounter could still go badly, but she was perfectly willing to accept that the next few minutes would be devoted to conversation, not some kind of fight.

Her first reaction to Nephele's words was a nod: Juniper knew how to keep a secret. "I will be discreet."

But Nephele's next statement challenged that discretion, even as it shocked Juniper -- her eyes widened, and she clutched the couch's armrest. "Delah is dead?"

Juniper hadn't known the Fae's leader personally, but it was still momentous news -- especially given the turmoil and change the Fae had experienced over the past few years. Now seemed like the worst possible time for something like this to happen, and Juniper couldn't help but assume that Delah's death was somehow connected to the Fae's other problems.

She collected herself. The next question on her mind was what had happened to Delah, of course, but Nephele clearly didn't know herself yet, so she didn't ask. "I see. You've asked me to keep this quiet, but -- this is important. Our people need to know. I don't want to tell people against your wishes, but I'd ask you to reconsider your secrecy."

So Alina would take the throne ... Juniper knew a bit more about her fellow huntress than she did about Nephele. At least, she knew of Alina's dislike of outsiders -- Juniper had a habit of keeping track of which of her fellow Fae took a more hard-line stance, although Alina had never been among those who harassed her. That stance worried Juniper. Oh, there was plenty of reason for the Fae to distrust outsiders, especially after what the Ascended had done to the Mathair, but Juniper worried that Alina might lead them into more conflict and hardship rather than protecting their people and giving them the space to heal.

But Juniper's opinions had never really mattered to the Fae, and she wasn't going to express her worries to Nephele now. Instead she said, "I'm not sure I see how that brings you to me. What do you wish me to do?"

It felt like a test of her loyalty, for the potentially hard-line new government to come to Juniper first. Perhaps Nephele was here because she suspected Juniper of following in her grandfather's treasonous footsteps -- because the Fae's new leaders had decided to make Juniper's pariah status official rather than just social.
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark

Messages In This Thread
A Solitary Flower - by Nephele - 05-21-2020, 07:34 PM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Juniper - 05-21-2020, 10:08 PM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Nephele - 05-22-2020, 12:19 AM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Juniper - 05-22-2020, 12:55 AM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Nephele - 05-26-2020, 11:22 PM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Juniper - 05-27-2020, 02:31 AM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Nephele - 05-27-2020, 04:13 AM
RE: A Solitary Flower - by Juniper - 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM