fire & bone
mallorie! <3
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 4667
KIADA
the harpy
They are.” Kiada replies with a bit of a chime, flashing a grin toward Mallorie. “Refugees for LongNight and then we’ll be heading back home to pick up whatever’s left.” A small shrug to that as she goes to the kitchen and Mallorie follows – reaching for whichever pitcher she’s requested and fills up a glass for the other woman. “Do you know much about LongNight?” She asks easily, lifting the glass to offer it to the Abandoned.

But then, as Mallorie glances around, Kiada lifts her own glass of water to her lips and offers a soft smile toward the other Outlander. “Halovians are hardy people, they made sure last season to stock up enough for us to have while we’re here. And many of them have expanded with things that’ll last longer than meat does, like vegetables and breads and things like that.” She shrugs. “We should all be fine I imagine. The Hollowed Grounds were quite harsh before the barrier fell.” If nothing else, the Grounders were hardy too. Perhaps not in the cold or snow, but in their own lives in general.
she's fire and ice. you'll fear the cold and crave the burn
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 1 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 14 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Dutch Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I'm not the only one
Who finds it hard to understand
Mallorie takes the glass gratefully and sips from it before answering, feeling like she needs it after what seems to have been almost a lifetime’s worth of words for her. Reassured by the fact that the Halovians aren’t going to miss this one glass too much, intrigued by the news that the Hollowed Grounds isn’t the beacon of protection some of what she’s heard about it made it seem.

She wonders, briefly, if Kiada is used to a life travelling between places. Then she remembers her comment about this being her fourth world, and figures it’s best not to pry.

LongNight though…

Mallorie frowns, and wracks her brain for mentions of this word. It seems familiar, but honestly she’s only heard it in passing. She drinks more of her water, then responds.

“I’ve heard the word, but not much else. A period of darkness, I gathered,” she continued with a sharp look, ‘whatever’s left’ I assume means it’s somewhat more than that?”

If danger (well, more danger) was coming, she supposed she’d better get herself better prepared than wandering around an inn most of her days.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
Ah, she’s quite new. That’s fine, if anything Kiada can absolutely explain what LongNight is like in the Grounds. She has no idea what to expect here, not after the attack on the Palace, but at least she knew what she was missing. And it was… Bittersweet in a sense. She should be back at the Grounds, slipping out at night to take on the longest night in getting her ex-lover’s soul back from the monsters for Ludo. But she’s not. She’s here instead.

Sighing quietly to herself mostly, she flashes Mallorie a smaller smile. “It’s a week of pitch black darkness.” She begins, swallowing down half her glass before setting it aside and giving Mallorie her full attention. “In the Grounds, there’s creatures that can only survive when it’s that dark out. They come crawling, trying to get more powerful, steal ascended upgrades, grab whatever they can and will absolutely kill to get it.” She pauses briefly before Auni comes trotting up to her side – the luxere eyes Mallorie curiously before trotting over to greet her. “They do what they can to get you to open the doors that week. It’s… Terrible, exhausting, and when the sun finally rises once again we spend the following season fixing the destruction.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Age: 42 | Height: 5'5/169cm | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
I'm not the only one
A week of darkness sounds like something Mallorie can handle. Monsters, on the other hand…

“What sort of creatures?” She asks with a frown. She’s not sure what to expect from this place in terms of fauna, and this is something she suspects she needs to know if she intends to keep living here.

They sound...hellish, from Kiada’s description. Vile creatures of malign intent, and Mallorie is thankful she didn’t land in the Grounds if that’s where they’ll be. She clutches her cup a little tighter and listens intently, trying to absorb every bit of information.

“A full season? That’s…”

That’s a lot of damage.

Mallorie tries to wrap her head around that image, while the luxere approaches her. She knows a little about them, thanks to the locals, but has yet to encounter one so close. She eyes Auni curiously as they approach. Doesn’t sense anything other than interest from the creature, but reluctant to do anything that might startle or upset it.

She looks at Kiada a little helplessly (she’s never been good with animals or children) and asks, “Is this...a friend of yours?”
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
Ascended trial runs.” She begins, setting her glass down. “The Voice when she began making the Ascended couldn’t quite get them right. So they come out at night to steal people, souls, try to get power and upgrades from them as if it will fix them.” There’s a slight clench of her jaw with that, before she's exhaling and the tension begins to fade — pushing away the memories of her own LongNight adventures away.

It’s a lot to recover from, a lot of building fixes. Last year the old Monster Hunter’s Guild burned down.” She adds with a small frown — it had taken her a lot of help to get it put back together to take over from Ronin.

But then Auni is approaching, seeking Mallorie out to say hello. “He is. He’s my companion.” She says, offering a fond smile to the Luxere. “His name is Auni. I got him my first LongNight. The light from the antlers ward away the monsters, so the people of the Grounds try to lure them to their homes or wherever people are staying for added protection.” Her gaze lifts to Mallorie now, that small smile remaining.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
Honestly, everything she’s been told about the Ascended here sounds like a horror show.

Mallorie nods and wonders if she’ll meet an Ascended any time soon - if she’d even know if she did. Some Halovians talk about them like a hidden threat, that look the same as any other person; some talk about them like feral beasts, complete with fangs, razor-sharp appendages, and a thirst for blood.

She places her cup down, carefully. Notes the tension in Kiada’s jaw and thinks about how best to ask more without pressing what are obviously unpleasant memories on the other woman.

“They sound...awful. How long has this been happening?”

If nothing else, Mallorie thinks she’s beginning to understand why people are so distrustful of the Ascended.  

She inclines her head apologetically when Kiada mentions the guild burning down - she can’t imagine that was easy to live through. Much less rebuild. Her appraisal of the younger woman - already positive - climbs higher, if she’s managed to maintain a guild through such devastation.

The luxere is lovely up close. Not unlike some of the deer from her own world. She tries her best to radiate respectful appreciation to the creature, in case it’s as smart as it seems, and studies it.

“He’s a fine creature,” Mallorie says, contemplating reaching out a hand, “nice to meet you, Auni.”

It appears this world has some wonders of its own, she thinks.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
A few hundred years, I think. Though I’m not entirely sure.” She offers with a small weak smile. “The Grounds have dealt with it over generations within the barrier. And two years ago is when the barrier lifted, when the Voice broke through it. It’s been good for the Grounds to get the area healthy again but we’re not sure what the cost of it is.” She adds on, recalling the Blight that had ravaged the Greatwood. She recalls how the Blight had affected her into attacking her loved ones.

At least none of that had happened with Halo or Torchline so far.

So instead, she focuses on Auni’s interaction with Mallorie, the Luxere approaching and his little nub of a tail wiggling in excitement as the other woman calls him a fine creature. His head lifts a bit more, as if he’s puffing out his chest at the compliment. A quiet bleat is given back – almost an equivalent of ‘nice to meet you too!’ before encroaching on Mallorie’s space and trying to get a few scratches behind the long pale ears of his. "He likes you." Kiada offers with a lighter smile, an easier topic to speak on.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
So the LongNight horrors have been going on long enough that there’s people who’ve grown up knowing nothing else in the Grounds. That’s...discomfiting. A disturbing way to live, when the winter brings more than its usual risk of death. Mallorie feels for the Grounders, and also feels she’s beginning to see how the people of this world are shaped by death. A constant companion in every region.

She wonders if she should be thankful she found herself in a place where the dangers were more visible, and more spread out.

The luxere’s greeting elicited a soft look from Mallorie. Touched by Auni’s friendliness, and heart softened by how brave he seemed to be.

“You’re a friendly one, aren’t you?” She says in response to his chirps, and takes the hint, running her fingers through his fur until the slot behind his ears.

Kiada’s comment pleases Mallorie, much as she’s embarrassed to admit it. She busies herself with Auni to hide any pleased look on her face, and says, ”I quite like him too.”

She scratches the spots he directs her to, and manages to compose herself a little. Looks back at Kiada over Auni’s back.

“He chooses his companions well, it seems.”
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
Auni practically melts into Mallorie’s touch – leaning into the woman a bit more, shifting his head here and there to get the best scratches. And it’s not surprising – it’s his favorite thing about meeting new people. Perhaps Chulane had given him some unfavorable habits of sniffing around strangers to see if they had treats. While it was fine for now, when Kiada was around, she did have a few Halovian’s sit there and ask her how much he was worth for his pelt and everything else.

Still, Kiada offers a hum of a laugh to Mallorie’s comment. “He is. He loves people.” All types, anyone with two hands that might scratch behind his ears, that might sit with him for a bit and enjoy the way he might find a random gift on the ground in the shape of a rock to drop at someone’s feet. Still, Kiada preens a small amount with the compliment regardless, her iceberg gaze lifting to meet Mallorie’s. “He absolutely does. This LongNight will be two years since I’ve had him.” She announces, a bit brighter of a smile crossing her face with that.

It felt like forever and yet no time at all.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
As the luxere seeks out affection, Mallorie can’t help but feel a little like her heart’s been stolen. He’s gentle and clearly intelligent. She takes her time patting and scritching him as he seems to please, and looks back at Kiada.

“A trusting soul then?” She lets her gaze drop back down to Auni’s ears. “I imagine how he came to accompany you is quite the story.”

One she wouldn't mind hearing one day, but she suspects now isn't the best time. She doesn't push the subject, decides to let Kiada decide if she imparts more of her history with Auni.

Mallorie gives him one final pat on the head, cherishes the feeling of his coat under her fingers. Thinks about how such a sweet natured creature came to the other woman’s company through what sounds to be a time of terror.

Wonders indeed.

She clears her throat, suddenly self-conscious about her obvious affection for animals.

“So it gets dark for two weeks and monsters come out to hunt. Is there any other seasonal horrors I should know about?”

There’s a hint of humour in her question, but Mallorie is sincere.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
Surprisingly so.” Kiada replies easily, a soft laugh leaving her. Auni simply remains within Mallorie’s touch, leaning this way and that to guide her patting and scratching, having absolutely no complaints with how the woman does it. “It’s a bit of a long and harrowing one.” She chimes, despite the sorrow and sadness that the story held – well, she was glad to have him in a way. At least her venture out into LongNight that first year wasn’t all for naught.

And then? Then Auni is returning to her side, plopping himself contently on the floor as she finishes the glass of water.

Her iceberg gaze is softer when she finds Mallorie’s own, the question receiving a nod. “Just one week.” She offers easily with a tip of her head, before she’s setting the glass down. “As for the other seasons? They’re relatively easy in comparison. Flowerbirth has its muddy mess, Longheat has its fires, and Leafchange is just dreary and rainy mostly.” She shrugs her shoulders, a light laugh slipping from her throat.

Anything else I can help you with?” She asks after, her gaze remaining on the other woman – someone she might consider a friend as soon as she gets to know her a bit more.
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Mallorie Woodbourne
Deepfrost Shield

Change author:
I'm not the only one
The story of how she met Auni and gained his companionship is Kiada’s to tell, and Mallorie is happy to leave it until they know each other better. If they get to know each other better - from what she gathers little is certain here. But she lets the luxere go with only the tiniest reluctance and doesn’t press any further on the subject.

“One week sounds a bit less awful. Four seasons is tolerable too.” She says with a thoughtful look.

She tilts her head slightly at Kiada’s laugh, but says nothing. Her question is...asking more than Mallorie thinks she realises. She approached the other woman in hopes of finding something more worthwhile to do than lingering in her inn; now she knows that people here need help, and her desire to be useful rises.

Their conversation has set a motion ticking over in her mind, and she thinks she knows what the next thing to do here is, if she intends to carry on living here.

Mallorie gives Kiada a steady stare, intending to impart her thanks as best she can.

“I think I’ve taken up enough of your time and good will,” Mallorie inclines her head as she speaks, “so...thank you.”

She pauses, then touches the back her own neck a little awkwardly. Something approaching a smile crossing her face.

“If you ever need a hand with anything...well. I’m happy to return the favour, given how much you’ve spoken with me. It can’t be fun babysitting outlanders.”

She intends it a little jokingly, but suspects her awkwardness overrides it. Still though, the sentiment is sincere. Mallorie has every intention of repaying Kiada her kindness, and the younger woman has made a good impression on her today.
I'm not afraid of God
I am afraid of Man
MALLORIE
Base Code by Sky!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
the harpy
It is a bit less awful than an entire season, than the prolonged terror that the Grounds had held. But she lets the conversation die off with a nod of her head, an easy smile as she questions whether or not there’s anything else Mallorie needs – and when it comes down to it, there’s really nothing that she can think of let alone whatever Mallorie might have in mind. But she watches the other woman easily, the faint lines of a smile remaining on her face as she nods. “You’re welcome.

It had been a welcome reprieve from sitting there alone watching the Grounders – an easy conversation, and an even easier person to get to know. From there, however, her gaze never quite leaves Mallorie yet until the joke departs the other woman’s lips and she laughs lightly in agreement. “I have a feeling I might be seeking you out a lot then.” She offers with a wink – absolutely looking for some sort of entertainment while babysitting.

Though it hadn’t been all bad. It’d gotten her here, hadn’t it? Still, she nods to the other woman as she goes to take her departure – taking the glass to set with the others that need to be cleaned before returning out for people to use. And with Auni on the heels of ensuring the Grounders are content as well, Kiada bits Mallorie an easy goodbye in the form of a small wave before taking the box to the back to be cleaned.

- FIN? <3 :D
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3