not in lone splendor, held aloft in the night
Harper Quinn
the Stalwart
Teacher

Age: 33 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Nomadic
Level: 5 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9347
tell me Atlas what is heavier?
the world or its peoples hearts?
"I'll try to summon the courage to do it," he laughs obligingly, warmth etched beneath his freckled, smiling cheeks. "I've considered Attuning, but I'll admit any kind of magic still intimidates me after so many of my enemies wielded it to harm others. It's getting easier the longer I live here, at least." Though the Gods ignored the Abandoned at best, they were still prevalent in the world, and outside of the Grounds did not bother hiding their magic. Harper does appreciate marveling at their capabilities here and there.

"You're a wise man," Harper compliments kindly, smile turning a little crooked. "I am trying...but you're right, life's too short, especially in a world like this one eh?" Nodding his head to Sunjata's scarred shoulder with a wry grin. His own scars are numerous, and plainly visible especially on his hands, but Caido has yet to inflict him with any yet. "I've been trying to let her go in small ways, remembering the good instead of the bad. Baby steps, right?" Blue eyes turning almost beseechingly, as if hoping for assurance or guidance. Maybe they make an odd pair, Harper and Sunjata, but Harper has never much cared for the dramatic expectations of others.

"Truly she'd likely say the opposite, with how firm a distance I keep between us. I suppose that's a small comfort, to know that I'm so repulsed by the idea of using her I've gone the whole other way 'round." Does that speak of his character, then? It's admittedly a weird sort of relief to have it pointed out. "When what time comes, though? The years between us will never shorten. I told her not to wait on me, in case she found another, but...well, the person she found is even older. Concerningly so. She's not interested in him, and assured me she has been denying his advances, but it worries me that she is looking for love in all the wrong places. And how can I be sure that I'm not just another wrong place?" Clearly self-deprecating, but Harper has never had the best self-esteem when it came to things that actually mattered outside of showmanship and war.

"Though, comparing myself to that other man, it did help to recognize that I'm not taking advantage. She has offered, but she has also respected my refusals, even when it hurt her." Blowing out a breath, his fringe flutters about in it, reminding him in some distant idle way that he should likely get it cut soon. "You both hurt each other, but you've both grown and become individuals of esteem despite that. Even I can see that." Which is precisely why he finds it so easy to be here with Sunjata, talking about such dire topics. "I didn't know Lusea was younger. That...in some ways, it helps." Not fully, but it's a start.
Harper

Messages In This Thread
RE: not in lone splendor, held aloft in the night - by Harper - 07-24-2020, 05:52 AM