asked and answered
for Morgan
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper nodded, accepting Morgan's conditions. "I never intended to seek punishment for the entire race, only on those involved in the attack on us. Reparations of some sort are not a bad idea, though I don't know that my people would accept help from the Ascended. We can be ... proud. However, I should thank you for being open to the idea of bringing the Ascended to justice -- I know there are obstacles, but your agreement means one fewer."

At Morgan's refusal and counteroffer, Juniper couldn't help a bit of a rueful smile. Once the Fae had been a martial power, but ... no longer, it seemed. They still had their warriors, but if that was not what Morgan wanted from them, then Juniper would not press the matter. "I understand. We can arrange such a trade; what do you need? Meat, furs, crafts? I think some tangible compensation will be necessary -- my people will not wish to hand over their goods solely for a promise of future protection that might never come to fruition. But we can certainly arrange for a trade that is advantageous to you -- a heavy discount, in exchange for such a promise."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Morgan
You've been holding on a long time
And all this longing

"You're welcome. I am..hesitant about this plan, truthfully, and unsure how it will work out. But I will help, if you call for me." Morgan knew there was a good possibility she would fall on the Ascended's side in the 'trial', should it ever happen, but perhaps that was a benefit. They would need people to see both sides for it to be fair, after all.

Though she did suspect that at least some of the Fae weren't looking for a fair trial, but for an excuse for execution.

At least Juniper took the dismissal of the Fae's defense well; not that Morgan felt there were many consequences if she hadn't. "Your food will be the most valuable to us, crops during the Deepfrost when we struggle to grow fresh ourselves. In return Halo can give you, in addition to it's protection, stone and minerals from our mountains. Many of them are good building materials or contain beneficial properties." Like Mageglass, though she didn't promise that; it was rare enough for someone in Halo to find it, never mind be willing to give it away.

And the ships are left to rust
That's what the water gave us
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper gave Morgan a slightly ironic half-smile. "I understand your hesitation. I have my own worries about how it'll go. That makes me appreciate your support all the more."

A nod. Juniper felt relieved that Morgan hadn't taken offense at her insistence on compensation, hadn't claimed that the Greatwood ought to be satisfied with only the promise of protection as payment for its goods. She knew her people would not have accepted that -- few enough Fae would be willing to admit that they needed protection, let alone make themselves into some kind of vassal state for Halo. But she could sell a trade agreement to her people. "As I understand it, the snow in Deepfrost usually blocks the portal, so I'm not sure we'd be able to bring you anything fresh -- though we'd be willing to try, if the portal can be made accessible somehow. Failing that, we can certainly trade you food throughout the rest of the year, help you store up supplies for Deepfrost. I'm sure there are things growing in the Greatwood that aren't easily found in Halo, too. We would welcome your minerals in exchange."

The Fae had their smiths and craftspeople -- not to mention mages -- who could use such things, and any excess could be traded to Torchline or the Hollowed Grounds.

table by Skylark
Morgan Aristomache
the Glacier
Warden of Halo

Age: 42 | Height: 5' 9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 6 - Strg: 23 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 14 - Int:
EUNIKE - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Morgan
You've been holding on a long time
And all this longing

That Juniper was not doggedly insistent her plan would work was to her benefit; Morgan appreciated those that thought of the potential issues, that worked on their plans early. With someone of a level head attempting to make this trial happen, maybe it would even come to some kind of satisfying conclusion.

"The portal is blocked right now during Deepfrost, yes, though I am intending to work on plans to make that not the case, soon." Perhaps not this year, but certainly by the next. "For the meantime, perhaps a large trade at the end of Leafchange could help, rations we could freeze and keep during the season." Even slightly stale Fae food would be welcome over the common salted and stored meals of Halo in the Deepfrost.

They seemed to have their trade worked out and agreements made. Morgan gently laid her hands over each other on the desk and looked at Juniper with a slight smile. "For someone so young as you look, you speak very well. Thank you for coming to see me."

And the ships are left to rust
That's what the water gave us
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:
JUNIPER
Juniper nodded. "If the portal is clear, trade can continue all through Deepfrost. And until it is, we can certainly plan to fill your stores before travel stops."

Morgan's words were a clear dismissal, a dismissal that Juniper easily accepted. The conversation had gone as well as she could have hoped -- far better than she'd feared. She'd gotten what she needed and wanted from Morgan, and she'd also gotten a sense of the Warden: a practical woman with good sense. They would work together well in the future, Juniper thought.

"I'm probably older than you are," she said, without rancor, amusement in her voice. Her grasp of how outsiders aged was a bit loose, but 50 was old for them, wasn't it? And Morgan did not strike her as old. "But you're right: among my own people, I'm still considered quite young. So thank you -- and thank you for meeting me as well."

Even as she bade Morgan farewell, Juniper's thoughts were already turning to the future -- to Torchline, and then the Hollowed Grounds, and then ... ? She didn't know, but she fully intended to find out.

{FIN}

table by Skylark