fragile creatures on collision with our judgement days
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper almost let out a sigh of relief as Wessex spoke. Oh, Wessex might not be agreeing with her in any way, but now she was bringing up real obstacles, real questions for them to debate and work through, rather than trying to speciously shut Juniper down. That was a step forward, an important one.

"Our customs are similar," Juniper admitted. "The criminal may be brought before the queen to decide their fate, but more often, those wronged simply take revenge. The queen's role, the government's power, then rests in telling the victims when their revenge is enough -- when they go from punishing a crime to committing one themselves."

For a moment, Juniper considered this in the context of these specific events, of the Ascended's specific crime. "You and your comrades attacked the Fae as a people -- our guards in their official duties, our goddess. If you were Fae, the queen would have passed down sentence -- likely execution -- and any Fae would have been authorized to carry it out on sight if you resisted.

"Because you acted as a group, on behalf of the Voice, many among my people consider the Ascended as a group guilty. And, as you know, some have tried to enforce that judgment."
Juniper sighed a little, then looked up with renewed determination. "I know the exact method of such a trial would need a lot of hammering out. We would need to find a trial method that both sides could agree to as fair -- the number of judges, their identities: I know these would be hotly debated. But it is something I am willing to debate."

Juniper's eyes widened a little as Wessex described the recent murder, and she spoke sincerely when she said, "I am sorry for your loss, and I understand your grief -- and your worry. I hope you find the killer."

For a moment she let that sentiment rest, then continued, "While my personal inclination is to avoid removing imprisonment from the list of possibilities, I understand your need to protect your people. The potential punishment, like the makeup of the trial itself, would need to be carefully negotiated."

And all of that might be moot, if Wessex's proposed compromise was workable -- though Juniper felt a certain degree of doubt that it would be. Still, she had come here to talk, to negotiate, to compromise; she would at least listen to any idea Wessex put forward.

"I would like to hear your alternative," Juniper said. "I admit that a trial is only one of many potential solutions, and I am open to others."
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark

Messages In This Thread
RE: fragile creatures on collision with our judgement days - by Juniper - 12-17-2020, 11:18 PM