make them happy (open)
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

"I've been told I'm the best by people who ought to know." She's one of the most popular at least. The madame reminds her frequently that she's a favorite amongst their visitors and that she keeps them on business. Maeve isn't sure that's entirely true. The madame was doing fine before she showed up and would probably be fine if she left. Except Maeve never leaves. She has no reason to. What is there for her outside of these walls? Nothing. Nothing but disappointment. As she said before, at least you know what you're getting here.

Maeve lays out her own cards, pretending to pout, "I told you. I'm not very good." Her hand is nothing more than a high card. Definitely not anything impressive. Maeve shrugs her shoulders, "Not everyone is like that. There are some that I've been seeing for seasons. If one disappoints me there is another waiting to fill their place. I'd even consider some friends." She's not lying. There are some that she's grown close with. Sailors who warm her bed and bring her gifts and dote upon her when she's hear. She's a lover and somewhere to rest without worrying about commitment. That suits her. Most of the time.

Finally. She has a name. Maeve nods, giving him her cards so he can reshuffle, "Locke." She tests it on her tongue with a hum, liking the sound of it. One syllable. Sturdy. It suits him. "Do I like working here? Isn't that a question... I can't complain. There are worse ways to make a living. I'm treated well. I have a roof over my head and food in my belly. I like meeting people. So yeah... I guess I do like working here. What do you do? And don't bother lying. I've fucked plenty of thieves. Nothing surprises me anymore."
when you are not fed love on a silver spoon
you learn to lick it off of knives

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
Locke

im all for compassion
He takes the cards, shuffling them some again before dealing them out. Is there any point to the card game anymore? Not really but it gives him something to do with his hands. They probably shouldn't be unattended in a place like this. He can't afford her except he can. But there are some things even he won't let go of. "Really? You'd think it was just business." Locke likes to think he would be able to keep it business. But he can see how her clients might warm up to her, and maybe even how she might warm up to them. "Hope I'm not disappointing you too much. I'm typically a lot better with my mouth." He gives her a little crooked grin and a wink.

He shuffles his cards around, biting his lip before putting a few down and grabbing more. He makes a little noise of frustration before looking back up at her. "Well if it works for you, I'm glad you enjoy it. It takes a certain kind of person to work in a place like this and thrive." He's seen what can happen if you're not built for it. But that's neither here nor there. "I do a little bit of everything. I suppose I specialize in acquiring things for other people. Or myself I suppose. Keeps food on the table and a warm place for my head. He kind of shrugs. Not a straightforward answer but still.
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

"Oh for some it is. I mean, in reality, it's always just business. I don't mean anything to them really. I'm a safe place. That's all." There are days it gets to her. Days where she doesn't feel like she's cut out for it. That she's not made for this life. Then again, there are days she doesn't feel made for life at all. This is as good as a life as any. Even if there are times she thinks that she could have more. Someone who loves her every day instead of whenever they loneliness is too much. A house, a home, children. No, that's not for her and she knows it.

The flirtatious remark is welcome and it pulls her away from those thoughts that threaten to tear her apart. Maeve laughs softly, a coy smile curling onto her lips, "Is that right? Maybe next time you'll show me just how good you are with your mouth. Can't say I'm too impressed right now." It's easy to tease and she does so happily while she sorts her cards, noting once again, her hand is poor.

"I know the type. You take whatever comes your way. That's most people around here. Unless they decide to try their luck on the sea. Can't say I've ever been brave enough."

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
He hums softly, nodding. A safe place? Has he ever had one of those? Nah, he doesn't think so. Being safe isn't something he's really cut out for. Relationships are the same way. He may have been born here and he'll likely die here but he's not tethered. It's all by choice. He doesn't do things he doesn't want to do. "I suppose people need safe places.." He doesn't. He's sure of it.

Locke lays out his cards, spreading them out before her. He has nothing this time, just a king. If she's got an ace, she wins this round. Otherwise, he does. He did have a pair but he discarded it. More.. interesting that way. Plus, he can't win all the time. "At least I've been told I'm good with my mouth. And I wasn't paying them so they didn't need to flatter me. I'll bring you something extra pretty though, just in case." Is he going to come back? Maybe. He's having fun, nearly forgotten his drink actually.

"I've always thought about it. I think I'd make a might fine pirate, don't you? Would definitely look good in the clothes." Locke laughs, shaking his head. He's got terrible fashion sense general. Luckily, being shirtless is perfectly fine in these parts. Even if he's not shirtless now.. He usually is. "I think you'd make a good pirate queen. All the jewels and heads of your enemies. Would be fun."
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

She nods in return. Some do. Some don't. Like she always says, she's whatever they need her to be. That's her lot in life. Maeve flicks her eyes to him, regarding him from beneath her lashes as she organizes her cards after discarding a couple. Well, perhaps her luck isn't all bad after all. "I prefer silver when it comes to metals and I like black. Do with that what you will," Maeve drawls, lips curling into a smile as she lays her cards down. A royal flush. He definitely should come back. Actually learn why she's considered the best here. It's not just for her snatch. Although, that is a big reason.

"Definitely. I can see it now. Hair sun bleached and one of those absurdly fancy coats. I'm not made for violence. To be a queen, perhaps, but not for all that other stuff. You never asked me another question."

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
He takes careful note of what she says, already trying to think of something he may have. He's not sure he does but that doesn't mean he can't figure something out. He likes having a goal in mind, something specific to find. Even if he keeps telling himself he's not going to come back here. Locke hums softly as she lays out her hand. "See, you know how to play.. And to think I threw that hand. You would've won anyway." Or she has good luck. Either way.

"Don't gotta be violent to be a queen but I can't imagine people not wanting you to step on them." He kinda does but that's neither here nor there. "Suppose I didn't ask you anything. Hmm." The man pauses, thinking as he looks her over. "If you could go anywhere, where would you go?" He's thought about leaving plenty of times. Always had something holding him back. He's as good as a free man now though. Locke shuffles the cards again, less intent on actually playing and more intent on just doing something with his hands. He deals the cards anyway.
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve watches as his brow creases slightly with the new information. Is he tucking it away? Is he going to come back with something just for her and buy more of her time? She kind of hopes he does. This is some of the most fun she's had since her little run in with the captain and that seems like ages ago at this point. She needs to get out more. Truly. How can her life be so boring? "Is that right? You threw it? Here I was just thinking you were bad at your own game," she teases, a smirk tugging at her lips as she flags down a waiter for another juice.

The question gives her pause and she takes a breath, chewing on her bottom lip as she thinks. Maeve crosses her arms on the table, leaning forward as she watches him shuffle the cards."Honestly? I don't know... I ended up here and haven't really thought about leaving. I don't have a reason to. There isn't anything out there for me." The answer doesn't really give him too much and she knows that it isn't really what he wants. "I suppose if I had to pick... I'd love to go to somewhere far away. Like the Greatwood."

Maeve shrugs, looking up at him from beneath her lashes, a slight flush on her cheeks. "What would you consider your most precious possession?"

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
He kind of growls, shaking his head. "If I were cheating, you'd have no chance. All the luck in the world can't beat out smarts." Or at least that's what he pretends. Gods are a thing and they seem perfectly content to interfere when they feel like it. That's fine though, they seem to have little interest in him.

"Greatwood huh? I've always wanted to go there." Not for any savory reasons of course. Surely an exotic animal from a faraway land could be sold for plenty of things. Maybe even a pretty necklace or choker.. Maybe they can go together, some day. Even if it doesn't really make sense for them to travel together. C'est la vie.

She flushes prettily and he thinks it might be the first one he's gotten out of her. He's not sure why she's blushing but he'll take it. She seems a lot less disappointed in the conversation. He looks at his cards, peeking up at her as he thinks. Does he even own anything that he thinks of as important? "Well.. I have this necklace. It's nothing special but my mother gave it to me." When she was coherent enough to do that kind of thing. Just a little string of golden chain with a little flower. Not something you'd give your son but.. He cherishes it anyway.

"Where do you plan on going? After this?" She can't stay in the brothel forever, right?
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

A growl? Well that's new. Admittedly, she likes the way it sounds and can't help wondering if he would do the same thing if she pushed him enough when they were alone. "You know nothing about my luck, Locke. For all you know I'm the luckiest girl in the world." She's not. Not even fucking close. Her luck was poor and it wasn't until she got here that it turned around. The only reason she was here in the first place is because her luck ran out. It was the best thing to have happened to her.

"It's the only place I could think of that wouldn't possibly kill me in the process. Plus it's different from here." Maeve shrugs again, slim shoulders rising and falling as she chews on her bottom lip, sorting her cards. At the mention of the necklace her eyes dip down and she sees the chain he's talking about. Her expression softens and she looks back up at him, green finding hazel, "That is special... I don't think my parents ever gave me anything of value besides my looks." Her parents didn't even realize she left. They didn't care.

Maeve lays down a couple of cards and draws a few others. She takes a breath. Why does he keep asking such hard questions? She has no idea what she's going to do after this. Maybe take over for the Madame. That was a possibility. She knew how to run this place. Already kind of does. "I'm not sure. Maybe become the new Madame. Maybe settle down somewhere. I haven't given it much thought." Maeve pauses, glancing down at her cards and she lays them down. Two pair. "What's one thing you want, but don't think you deserve?"

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
He gives her a little grin, "I'm sure you're quite lucky. You've met me. And that's always a good thing." Except it is very much not. That's fine. This is casual, a business transaction. She is not his friend and he is not her's. It works out quite well for him actually. Can't get hurt if they don't get close.

"Well it's the only thing they gave me." There is just a little hint of malice behind his words. Honestly, he hates them. He's pretty sure they wouldn't recognize him and he's fine by that. Sounds like she had a rough home life too. Of course she did. Girls with good families don't end up in brothels. He won't press though, as long as she doesn't. He holds her gaze for a moment before looking back at his cards, trying not to thing about how vulnerable he feels suddenly.

"Madam huh? I suppose I could see it." Is that all she really wants out of life though? To be in a brothel? It seems like it. Then again, he's pretty sure he'll just be a crook for the rest of his. He can't really judge her. Her next question, however, catches Locke massively off-guard. The man kind of stutters, running a hand through his hair as he looks at his cards. He swaps a few out, looking at his hand instead of her.

"To feel.. safe. I guess." To settle down, have a family, be loved. They're out of his reach and even if they weren't.. He's. Well. It's fine. He doesn't speak for a moment, arranging and rearranging his cards as he thinks. "What about you? A cop out but he doesn't care.
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

So fucking cocky. Maeve rolls her eyes at him, wrinkling her nose, "Yes. I met you and have gotten to play a riveting game of cards." Maeve hums, shaking her head as she holds onto her cards a little tighter. It seems she found a touchy subject. It's alright. She won't press. She doesn't need to. That reaction tells her everything there could be to know. His family was just as bad as hers. Maybe worse.

"Down boy. I meant nothing by it," Maeve says softly, something a little kinder in her eyes. Whatever pretense there was seeming to drop for a moment as she meets his gaze. Admittedly, she wasn't trying to start anything. That much was true. It seems that neither of them are good about talking about their families. Not that they were much of a family.

He isn't satisfied with the answer. Maeve can tell. What is she supposed to say? There hasn't ever really been a plan. She doesn't have anything to offer. "I know it doesn't seem like a lofty goal, but this place has been a home to me for close to five years. Before I started actually working as what I am now, I cleaned and served drinks. Now I do this. It's the only thing I've ever done that's admittedly kept me safe and out of trouble. Not sure what there is for me outside of here."

Maeve takes a moment to peek up at him, pursing her lips before her teeth find her bottom lip and she swallows thickly. Isn't that what they all want? To be safe? She knows that's one thing she wants. "A lot of things... A proper family. A real life. Someone who loves me for more than a night." As soon as the words leave her, she regrets it and her cheeks color. Maeve looks down, avoiding his eyes.

Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
Locke

im all for compassion
He mulls over her words for a long moment, trying to figure out what she means exactly. He thinks he gets it. He's never wanted to be loved like that really, not until recently. The slow, cold, creeping of wanting to maybe settle down and not spill his guts on the sand. Maybe he's always wanted it, shoving it down into the corners of his mind. He doesn't deserve stuff like that though. Being safe is enough for him. And he's not sure he'll ever get that.

He looks at her, holding her gaze as he lays out the cards. He's got a flush, not royal but none the less. He slides the rest of the cards towards her. "Play a bit, if you can beat me honestly next time, I'll give you something extra special." Except he doesn't ever plan on coming back. He's been too open, too vulnerable. It makes him feel weird and skittish. Admittedly a lot of things do.

Locke pushes himself up from his chair, "Thanks for your time Maeve. Should let you go. Pretty sure that guy over there has been eyeing you and he looks like he's dripping in jewels. Should go tend to him." He just wants to leave. Maybe he'll go to Slagveld.. Punch someone for a bit until he forgets about the way her teeth bite into her lip.
but not on my dime
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

The moment passes as quickly as it came and then he's laying down his cards. He beat her. He beat her in his own game and she can't help feeling stupid for playing. Maeve doesn't bother laying her cards down. Instead she adds them to the stack and straightens them, tucking them away into a pocket on her dress and ignoring that they still feel warm from his hands.

Then he's standing and she's at a loss for words for a moment. It's long enough to be awkward before she manages a nod, "May the rest of the LongNight bring you good fortune, Locke." She's not even sure he hears her. Maeve takes a deep breath, following it with a swig of juice that she wishes was something stronger before she plasters on her best smile. She still has a job to do. She still has to make her people happy.

-FIN-