eye to eye
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 60 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 60 - Luck: 81 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601

"Perhaps so. The convenience of portals is one that even those who strictly follow the Old Gods cannot deny," Ronin agrees with a roll of his shoulders. "That and I suppose places like Torchline and the Grounds walk such a blurred line that sometimes survival trumps history." It isn't great, but it is the way things are. And with Stormbreak so locked away, there is no example to set to the rest of Caido.

Maybe, together, they might change that. Still, as Cian's eyes turn on him Ronin can't help but preen, as if on purpose, though the gesture is tainted by how awful he looks. (Or rugged, depending on your proclivities, he supposes). "Interesting is one word for it," he mutters, and at the question Ronin honestly has to give it some thought before he offers his opinion.

"I'd like to say Sunjata is like tempered steel, now. Harder, but stronger for it," he murmurs. "...I think he will endure, providing he isn't pushed further too soon. He's certainly proved himself to Torchline, put it that way. And once you've got their buy-in, the rest is plain sailing, from my experience."

RONIN
Darkness is a funny thing. It creeps up on you.
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 41 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: / - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 19 - Int: 2
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
CIAN

"Survival.." The Eye lets the word roll on his tongue before it leaves his lips. "The Grounds are now almost entirely ascended, and Torchline?" Cian's head shakes. "It isn't survival. It's plain ambivalence." Which is why a reminder might be in order. Perhaps then those like Sunjata would not be so content with ascended's in his bed and on his streets. Similar comments would of course apply to Halo as well.

Listening, Cian folds his hands in his lap. "I'm not so sure that's true. I've seen very little in the way of ties between Torchline, Halo, or the Greatwood. Certainly nothing would suggest that angering one would close of trading with the others." No, each land was more or less a silo. And with Wessex (for the time being), Sunjata, and Morgan in charge, the ascended-ties were far stronger than he would like.
the truth hurts
but lies can k i l l

Code taken from Sky who is utter perfection
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Ronin doesn't really have anything to say to that, and the way he spreads his hands suggests that he knows he's far too close to at least one of the places named (Torchline, duh) to be able to give an opinion that isn't riddled with bias. "Would you advocate his stepping down, then?" he wonders, tilting his head at the Eye. Cian is certainly more than he seems, and Ronin honestly can't say whether the man is capable of engineering such a feat. But he wouldn't put it past him.

Still, even considering the whole mess holistically is enough to make his head pound, at least for now. "Before angering any of them, I'd like to make sure that Stormbreak has its own house in order," he remarks, somewhat slowly. "Not that I don't think it does. I just don't know enough about it to be able to suggest throwing spanners in the works elsewhere." There's time to learn that, though, especially now that he's part of the club.

RONIN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Age: 41 | Height: 5' 9 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
CIAN

"No, no." Cian says with an easy shake of his head. "Torchline has ever held the allure of sand, sex, and deeds hidden away in the Fingers...Nearly every Governor there has had success in their role simply based on those facts. I just wonder when it comes to who this Governor shares his bed with...if he will last on his own."

Raising a brow, Cian contents himself to listen once again. With Ronin as part of the Order now it means both that the Eye will grant him more respect, but also that the Star is allowed to perhaps overstep slightly more than before.

But only slightly.

"Meaning?" The Eye asks, of their house not being in order.
the truth hurts
but lies can k i l l

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

"I think that is between Sunjata and whoever he shares his bed with," Ronin says quietly, careful not to offer up any information about the situation even if Cian might already be privy to it. "One would think that we are not the only ones who are keeping an eye on the situation, to be sure." Gods, he means, if it wasn't so obvious. And given that he tangles with them on a regular basis, Ronin is quite happy to keep his nose out of a deity's business until he's invited in.

Meaning?

Ronin chews at the inside of his cheek and settles in his chair, draining the last of his whiskey and setting the glass down. "Maybe nothing at all," he confesses. "I suppose just from the outside looking in, I'm not sure of our overall plan of attack. That's not to say that I don't think we have one. Perhaps I just need to be a little more present than I have been."

RONIN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN

"It absolutely is not." Had this not all been orchestrated by Safrin, Cian might well use this opportunity to clarify where Ronin's allegiances are. "Let me be quite clear: what the Old Gods want are the complete eradication of the ascended. Period. Full stop. End of Message. Who Sunjata shares his bed with, or what, matters deeply. I think many are wrong in thinking that there are three sides in this war—those against the ascended, those for them, and those staying out of it—but that isn't the case."

Whether Torchline will fall behind a Governor who supports the ascended implicitly is another question.

Much the same for Halo.

Hiding his annoyance, the Eye merely nods. "That's because you haven't been told it." He confirms. "But perhaps that can all wait until later. For now, perhaps you can speak with the Governor about a Skyboat route to Torchline. They of course will be able to visit here as well." They, meaning only the accepted and attuned of them, of course.
the truth hurts
but lies can k i l l

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

Ronin stiffens in his seat, but whereas before it might have been the result of anger, now it is the realisation that he is also one of those who straddles that line between right and wrong. His brow furrows as he considers Cian's words, and whatever happens behind blue eyes is hidden from the rest of the world. "In that, you are right," he says slowly, narrowing his eyes out of the window. "It's like a net closing, forcing everyone to make those choices at last," he remarks.

And once they are all firmly in their battle lines? Then it will only take a spark to start a war.

Huffing out a breath through his nose, Ronin shakes those thoughts away and straightens up in his seat. "I supposed as much," he says, his smile returning somewhat. "In which case I consider myself reassured. I'll make contact with Sunjata and bring you his decision, and we can work out the specifics from there?" The decision, of course, will be a yes.

Ronin will make sure of it.

RONIN
Cian ó Broin
The Eye

Change author:
CIAN

'I trust you know which side you've placed yourself on, in joining us.' While Safrin might be alright with shades of grey that suit her plans, the same could not be said for Cian and the Order. "You have friends who are Ascended. Our mission, given to us by Mort and Vi, is to eradicate them." This Cian is able to say with the easiness of a man who has grown up in this world. A man who can faithfully say he has no qualms in what they must do.

He knows that Ronin can't say the same.

Nodding a touch stiffly, Cian raises his empty glass to cheers the idea, though makes no effort to refill it. "I look forward to hearing what he has to say. I will speak with the Skyboat captains in the meantime." They might scurry when they see Cian as much as Ronin, but not unlike the Star is with the Flood, Cian is quite sure that they'll agree to his proposal.
the truth hurts
but lies can k i l l

Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:

Ronin can't say the same, no, and the weight of all that he has agreed to is one that he will struggle to shoulder for the rest of his life. But the choice has been made and the pledge has been given, and blood oaths and orgies aside (seriously, will there be an orgy?), he has firmly placed himself on one side of that line. His silence is all that Cian will need to know that the Star, whilst he doesn't disagree, it's a bitter truth to swallow.

"Then it's settled." He raises his glass in a similarly empty toast, before replacing it and getting to his feet. "If you need me in the meantime, I know you know where to find me. Thank you, for speaking with me." He nearly bows - such is the nature of Stormbreak, it reminds him of his days as a baron. But, resisting the urge, Ronin quietly takes his leave of the Eye and steps out into what he supposes, now, is home.

For good.

~FIN

RONIN