till you get to the Bottomland
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
there is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in
Henry listens with silent intensity, expression shifting with each revelation, explanation that Wessex has to give in regards to her decision. It seems to him as though her mind is already made up, and she is asking more for their support than anything. "I can understand that... a lot of people have been wanting to spread their wings beyond the Grounds, not just you. If this is what you feel is the right decision for you, then you have my support."

He had been eager to explore, once upon a time, but at the moment that's not actually what he wants anymore. He wants to stick around, to be a beam of support for his community. Well, if he's honest, he's not sure what he wants anymore in regards to his own personal goals or ventures. The farm needs rebuilding... but will it become a farm again? Could he run something like that without the help of his family? He doesn't know much about that, but one thing he does know is that he wants to be there for the Grounds.

His face falls into a more solemn look and he leans back in his chair, relaxing as much as he can, letting his steeled gaze rove over Bastien to try and read the room. Small room that it is. His attentions return to Wessex when Bastien airs his question; he is also curious to know.
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
It's Lord of the Flies in my mind tonight
Maybe it’s her age, or her gifts - the ability to be anywhere at any given time is enough to give even the most humble laborer belief in a dream.

“It’s selfish, I know,” the Wraith admits, spreading her hands helplessly, “But forty years in a cage is -” torture, pure and simple. A tad dramatic for Wessex’s taste when amongst friends, but the sentiment is in the twitch of her lips, the clenching of her jaws. As much as she wants to, she cannot unsee all the starving people, the mutated animals, barren and flooded fields, her sister’s last rattling breath - living in the Grounds has made her who she is. “So this is what’s right for me, right now. I’d like to see the world before I have to go up against Gods and demigods and former friends.” Bleak though it may be, Wessex harbors no illusions. It’s why she’s here, with the two of them.

“But to answer your question, I don’t know. I’m not even sure there’s an obvious choice. Two people, maybe, or council - though that’s terribly slow when you need a quick decision. I know I’d like to stay on in a sort of ‘General’ slash military position. Train those who want to learn to fight - and how to work together.” Something they were sorely lacking in last time around. Looking again from Bastien to Henry, Wessex leans forward, elbows on the table.

“A vote might be best, but who would you choose, what would you do? What do you think is best for the Grounds?” Leaving the door open to nominate themselves, to say she should stay, to propose anything they like, the Queen gives her Advisors the floor.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN

'Cause you've got a mind that is so hell bent on
Fixing me up before I get my coat off
Bastien had only lasted sixteen years in his own cage, Paris, his parents humdrum lives and boring expectations; he understood Wessex's desire to escape, see the world, experience it all before it could be snatched away (and while he hoped, passionately, it wouldn't be...perhaps it was time he faced the reality of the potential of war).

Understanding didn't mean he liked it, though, and as Wessex turned his question back on him, he swallowed hard to consider it. Really, honestly? He couldn't think of anyone else that was immediately suitable...other than...again...himself, but he desperately didn't want to do it. Oh, why wasn't Rexanna still around? She was always ready to take charge, to protect, to lead; Bastien wished for his wife's spirit many times a day, but in that moment he felt the pull more intensely than he usually did.

Though, as he thought of her, something did come to him: maybe she would want me to do this.

Sighing, he pushed a hand through his hair and finally spoke. "I hope this will not come as a display of egotism. I know I am hardly humble, but believe me when I say I would not be suggesting this if I did not think it the best choice - I have a good base in the community here. I know the Grounds well, I have had a hand in forming it's current self, I like to believe I am amenable to most people. Perhaps I should take on the responsibility - though I would never want the title King." He pulled a face at that. "Ultimately, it is your decision to make, but I think there are few people left here that have experience with the rest of the world...most of them have left for places they've found, once they get out there."

But he'd always stayed, loyal to where he'd landed and found a home, and he'd stay there to protect it if he had to.
You with those hands that are so hell bent on
Making a mess to suggest you'd think something
Henry Walker
Advisor

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
His gaze flickers between the two of them, watching and listening, soaking up the words they air so freely and honestly. He nods along to both Wessex and Bastien, finding neither of their answers surprising or unsurprising. In all this wild chaos, this is something he can try to take in stride - even if, in his heart, he would prefer that Wessex stay. He can understand her desires and feelings, which shouldn't be ignored, and so he does his best to ignore his own right now. Gods know his emotions aren't fully intact, anyway.

"It's not selfish," he says to Wessex, and to Bastien he adds, "and it's not egotistical. You don't need to explain yourself. Nothing about this is easy, but the sooner we make these decisions, the sooner we can move forward, and the better it will be for everyone. If you think you're ready to take on these responsibilities, and if you think you are the best candidate, then..." he shrugs his shoulders, "do it. Or else we let the people decide." Whoever is left, that is, but he doesn't add that rather depressed note. "I'll gladly stay on as part of the council no matter who it is leading the Grounds." If nothing else, he can give his support where it is necessary and involve himself in decision-making that impacts his home. But he has no wild ambitions of taking Wessex's place. Not now, anyway.
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
If she’s surprised at Bastien’s offer, all that betrays it is a quirk in her brows as she listens to it with what she hopes is something that resembles genuine openness.

Nodding in agreement with Henry that the sooner the better is best for all involved, Wessex says, “Thank you. I’ll seriously take it into consideration. Luckily, I think we have some time before decisions need to be made - let’s talk more later.” Which is to say that while she will seriously consider it, she also has some serious questions for Bastien.

As for just how much time they have, she doesn’t know, but she does have an update for them. “Stormbreak is building a dock for their Skyboats in Torchline, which with any luck will bring more Order members to its shores. All we need is one more glimpse of a ring or compass and we’ll be set to keep them out.” Turning to Bastien, she offers rather sadly, "Ronin is in the Order now. So at the very least, we know one of them..."

Perhaps with some creative maneuvering come Longheat, they can identify more individuals.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN

Bastien was surprised by the reception; Henry's encouragement and Wessex's response, which wasn't an immediate no. Maybe they actually thought he would be able to do it; for someone usually very confident in his own ability, Bastien felt humbled by that. "Of course. You know where to find me for a discussion." He looked to Wessex and nodded; he didn't sleep at night anymore, spent all of his time painting in the studio - he'd always be available.

He thought his mind would have been full of nothing but this, but then Wessex dropped the bombshell that Ronin, his once dear friend, had joined the Order. Bastien's face fell; he drew his hands together on the table and stared down at them, trying not to shake with sudden anger and distress. This was how it was, then? Their friends, their community, gone and torn apart by the Old Gods hatred?

He'd seen his home ruined by prejudices, by hating and fighting instead of talking; had seen good men turn to it then too. "...I see. Do...you know if we can send letters to Stormbreak?"
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
Henry nods at Wessex's explanation that they do have some time to make the decision, and he's okay to let things smooth over between her and Bastien in terms of a leadership transfer. He has doubts that anyone else would stand against that, and in his mind, this has already begun to set in motion.

He clasps his hands together, perking up as Wessex brings up something else. It strikes a chord of recognition within him, remembering the orb they placed, and the mission given to them by the Voice to ensure the Ascended's protection against the Order. It startles him that these other pieces have not fallen into place just yet.

Let him be the first to see to it. He sits a little straighter and almost seems as if he's ready to get up and go right now. "I'll see if I can manage it.. I have my shift... perhaps that will be an advantage. I can patrol Torchline and maybe Stormbreak, from the air."

When Bastien's question is finally aired, he settles down a bit. The name 'Ronin' means very little to him as it stands, not knowing the demi-god personally, but he will file the information away for later. It will be a key person of interest. At the very least, it's somewhere to start.
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
She’d meant only to say that they have an identifiable someone to watch, but seeing Bastien’s face fall in such a way makes Wessex wonder if she’d said something far more important.

It isn’t something to pry about now, though she tries to soften a little, watching him stare at his hands in a universal sign of holding something in. “I don’t know,” she confesses. “But if it’s important to you, it’s worth trying.” Personally, she’s quite hesitant to open up a line of communication between the Grounds and Stormbreak, but there’s no reason to forbid it right now.

She’s about to call the meeting to a close when Henry straightens, seeming to change before her eyes. His proposal is… not a bad one. Not a bad one at all. Mulling it over right then and there, Wessex slowly nods, raising a single finger in a caveat. “I don’t want to lay all our problems on you - but this is arguably more important than the Sparkbird and I don’t think it’s a bad idea - just a bit of a dangerous one, especially if you go to Stormbreak. If something were to happen, only another Attuned or Accepted could come and get you.”

Which he knows, of course, he’d been there when the Voice had told them that. “So if you go, you let me know, and you let me know who would be willing and able to help get you back.” No one gets left behind if she can help it, and she’d grovel and trade promises if it meant keeping her people safe. So with that said, Wessex nods and gives her approval, then looks between the two of them again.

“Anything else?”
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN

"Mmm." It was important; dearly so. Ronin had been someone he'd met early into his days on Caido, a friend he'd spoken to at some of the lowest points of both their lives. He thought they had a connection - yet Ronin had chosen to side with those that would see him dead. It made no sense and yet the sickly dread in his chest told him it was possible. He knew how these things went, and friends turning on friends was not out of the norm.

The words to Henry went mostly over his head as he tried to cook up the right words to write already, hoping beyond reality he might be able to change Ronin's mind. When Wessex asked if there was anything else he looked up, blinked a couple of times, then shook his head. "Not at the moment. I...just hope we can try to mend the world in the next seasons. I am worried so much has gone wrong while we were unawares."
Henry Walker
Advisor

Change author:
"It's not too great a burden, Wessex," it's an immediate assurance, accompanied by a small shake of his head, "Believe me, after what's happened... I could use the distraction and... purpose." His gaze swoops downward at the honest admission, but he hopes that she'll understand he needs this even more than he'd needed it before. He lifts his eyes up once more and nods earnestly at her cautions, "I'll be sure to send you notice, especially if I'm successful. Don't worry too much, though, I'll be fine." He may be feeling more reckless than usual, but having a clear goal in mind helps to humble that.

He then sighs, and begins to stand, preparing to make his leave on the assumption that they're done here - for now. He can't say much about Bastien's worries, nothing that would be productive, but he does muster up the courage to say a bit of what he thinks, "There will always be something. If it's not division between the Old and the New, then it will be something else..."

"If that's all, I should get going," he glances between them, "I'm staying in the Domiciles - temporarily. Should either of you need to find me I will be there most nights."
HENRY
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
A small nod of understanding is what she offers the remaining Walker, because Wessex has been there and no amount of talking will ever take the place of doing. It’s good for the body to work, for the mind to engage in something else until the pain ebbs and one can return.

“That’s all, I think.” Another conversation to have with Bastien, Stormbreak and the skyport to stalk, life to live and a future to plan. All those good things. And besides, Wessex has become a much greater talker than she used to be. Standing the Queen tries to make the ending of the council meeting vaguely ‘official,’ and then will show the two men out, with promises to speak soon.

{fin}