sigh and say magic
for Juniper
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749
JUNIPER
you think i'm happy because i'm smiling,
but it's the easiest thing to do
Juniper mouth tightened as Sam spoke; she struggled to keep her emotions under control, to remain calm and receptive. As much as she appreciated that Sam had come to this meeting, she didn't exactly enjoy listening to his words -- though she honestly wasn't sure if he could have said anything to make it better.

First, the Voice's control over the Ascended. Juniper wasn't totally surprised to hear that the so-called goddess basically held her people hostage, and she tried to feel sympathy for Sam, even if part of her said You shouldn't have gone back. You should have stuck to your convictions and died. That was an uncharitable part, though. "I see. I'm ... sorry to hear that you've faced that."

She made herself appreciate that Sam had turned against the Voice, however briefly; that he had realized that his goddess's commands were immoral. "I presume there's no way to reverse an Ascension ... I can scarcely imagine what it's like, to be so completely beholden to her."

Oh, Juniper served her gods, depended on them, could be cursed or struck down if she disrespected them -- but she had faith that Vi, Mort, and Rae, if not their always their heralds, were right-minded and guided their people gently. And if she did disagree with them -- at least they weren't in her body, in her bones and her blood, making her indelibly their creature. Right?

At the mention of the trial, Juniper nodded. "I wouldn't ask you to submit to an unfair or even one-sided judgment -- Torchline and Halo have agreed to arbitrate such a trial."

She left the question of whether he would actually give himself up, rather than simply speaking in hypotheticals, open. After all, even she wasn't sure that hosting a trial now would actually calm Caido's rising tensions.

And then came the part that really made Juniper's frown deepen, really got her goat: his attempt to explain his actions. "The Voice just ... told you to murder and attack my people, and you did it? Without question?"

That was uncharitable, too, but what else could Juniper say? Maybe it should have been a relief that Sam hadn't personally done much, but he was right -- he'd been there, just as willing, so that didn't absolve him. And she could scarcely fathom accepting such a task, even from her own gods, whom she trusted. If Ludo or even Mort told her to attack -- not the Ascended, on whom such an attack might be justified by their past actions, but some neutral party ... She wouldn't do it. Would she?
if you looked a little closer,
you'd find my eyes aren't smiling too.

table by Skylark

Messages In This Thread
sigh and say magic - by Samuel - 04-09-2021, 07:10 PM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Juniper - 04-10-2021, 12:14 AM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Samuel - 04-11-2021, 04:35 PM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Juniper - 04-13-2021, 08:22 PM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Samuel - 04-15-2021, 04:38 PM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Juniper - 04-16-2021, 01:22 AM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Samuel - 04-18-2021, 06:19 PM
RE: sigh and say magic - by Juniper - 04-21-2021, 04:36 PM