once a beginner
open
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Seren

The hand over hers was big and warm, and not the least bit frightening. The gesture moved her, and she nodded. "Thank you, Locke. That means a lot." Drawing a breath, the girl let out a sigh and relaxed. Settling in her seat, she pulled the feet up beneath herself, reflecting over her luck. Would it always be this pleasant and comforting to be uncomfortable? Everyone she met were kind and understanding, so full of warmth and compassion. It was inconcievable that evil could exist in a world so rife with gentle souls.

Not entirely sure why Locke was laughing - the starchild had been completely serious in her offer - she was nevertheless pleased to have drawn such a reaction from the man. It was satisfying to hear, a pleasant sound that filled the air. Change? Why would she ever want to change, if the Seren of this moment could bring joy to a friend? "I'll do what I can to avoid it," she jested cheerfully, even knowing how impossible a thing it was to avoid. "You are what you eat, they say, so I know exactly how to stay sweet." The cookies on the tray would not be long for this world, if the greedy eyes she cast on them was any indication.

Perking up at the promise of a story, she nodded eagerly. "Yes please. What kind of story is it?" Wriggling about until she was more lying than sitting in the armchair, she dragged dark hair away from the face and awarded Locke with her full attention. There was a catlike quality about her, so very comfortable - like she could stay there for days without ever becoming restless.
It's written in the stars above
Exactly who we are is just enough
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
i am baby
He has no idea what being in love is like but he does know this kind of love. When you meet something you just need to take care of. He's felt it for every one of his younger siblings and Seren is added into that too. He watches her take her cookie, grinning. He's glad she likes them. It's always nicer when you have people to share things with, at least he thinks so.

Her shift leads to one of his own, turning slightly towards her and tossing a leg over the arm of the chair he's in. It doesn't look comfortable but it is. He tilts his head to one side as he thinks, "How about something with.. Hmm.." He takes a bite of his cookie, chewing thoughtfully, "Adventure? Maybe? Or I can tell you how I got this scar?" He points to the one over his eyebrow.
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren

Interest glittered in pale eyes at the mention of adventure. Obviously Seren was the kind of girl that went all out for challenges, or she wouldn't be training for the dragoons. But simply looking at her, it might be easy to forget in the light of an easy smile and sometimes childish naivety.

"True stories are the best kind," she encouraged, gaze flicking up to study the scar. She hadn't paid much attention to it before, but now she was decidedly curious. "Go on!" Of course, she wasn't expecting everything to be truth. Or maybe it would be? A crackle and pop in the fireplace sent sparks showering upwards into the chimney, setting the perfect mood for the tale. Around them, soldiers were slowly dropping off towards their rooms, but Seren hardly noticed.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
i am baby
He laughs, "Are they? I guess we'll see, yeah?" Locke finishes off his cookie before taking a long drink. He's going to be talking so he needs to wet his whistle. "So, I was about your age maybe? And I walk into this bar, just a little pissed off rat with nothing to lose and too much time on my hands. Might have been high, don't remember. Anyway, I walk up to the biggest guy there because you know, stupid, and just.. Deck him."

He gives her a look, almost willing her to guess what happens next. But he doesn't really give her time to answer. "Anyway, he turns to hit me so I duck and I slammed my head into the edge of a barstool. Knocked myself clean out. Woke up on the beach. Still not entirely sure how that happened.. Can you imagine? Just having a beer and some dumbass punches you then knocks himself out on a bar stool? Fuck." Exactly none of it is true. Sorry if you wanted a good or true story Seren, Locke doesn't do those.
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Sipping on her tea, Seren listened with rapt attention. It wasn't even about the truth or lack thereof, but about being granted an adventure. A glimpse into another world, even if it was just a seedy tavern in Torchline, some years back.

The tale may not be of bardic proportions, but it still succeeded in making her laugh. Seren could see it; Locke swinging hard and dodging all grandly, only to knock himself out in the process. "Try a leg swipe next time," she suggested teasingly. "If the guy is on the floor by the time you're satisfied, you won't have to dodge as much." She seemed not at all perturbed by the subject of the tale, or the wanton violence.

But then... she was a Torcher, too. Born and raised.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
Locke laughs with her, shaking his head. "Probably would've broken my leg somehow. Kicked a table or somethin'. Don't seem to have the best luck. Even for all the fights I get in, most people don't have this many scars." He points to the few prominent ones on his face. "You ever get into any fights? I doubt it, but I figured I'd ask." Sure, she's got a god for a mother and a demi-god for a father but Locke wouldn't be against punching someone for her.

Some part of him is aware he's trying to fill a void that's unfillable but still. He's having a good time and so is she. Who is he to stop himself from that, right?
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Her grin turned rueful as he listed his reservations. "Apparently luck is a skill, too," she agreed. "At least you've got experience out of it. That's more than I can say." Shrugging slightly, she raked a hand through the hair and stifled a yawn. "No real fights, no. I did train at the Slagveld, with both dad and Sunjata. Kiddy training, very basic... but it was fun."

Many of her memories were tied to that dusty boxing ring. Her first night on Caido had been spent there; no doubt it aided in shaping her to the person she was today. "You're making it sound fun, though. Maybe I'll give it a try, someday. Back me up, will you?" Seren had a feeling that Locke would be a reassuring presence to have at her back, regardless of how many scars he might have.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
"How does one train luck? Going gambling?" He runs a hand through his mop of hair with a little yawn. The tea is kicking in and so is the just.. General vibe of the room. It's clearly lounging time for the other dragoons. Even if he and Seren aren't officially dragoons yet, he can't say he doesn't enjoy the comradery. "You're probably better off in that regard. They seem like they're both good fighters. I've seen Sunjata fight and I can only imagine what Ronin can do."

"Yeah of course! I love fighting. Sparring, what have you. The adrenaline rush gets me every time." He finishes off his tea and sets the mug down on the table between them. "If you're ever in Torchline, we can tag team people in the ring. It'll be fun." Maybe don't let Ronin hear you saying that, Locke.
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"Probably," she agreed, grinning slightly. "Or perhaps cards. I hear that's all about making your own luck... not that I would know. Dad won't teach me." Though he absolutely could, it was probably some moral line drawn as a parent. Boring, her eye roll seemed to say.

Now, fighting was all about skill, and she raised her eyebrows at the thought of seeing both her father and uncle fight. "Really? Well, I guess we'll both see, in time. When we get good enough at this that he won't have to hold back on us." With 'this', she meant the whole soldiering thing, and gestured again to the room and their vanishing comrades for emphasis.

In time, Seren expected that the thrill Locke was talking about would be something she too was familiar with. It remained a thing of stories for now, reserved for brief adventures, climbing high trees and looking down on the world from some elevation. "It's a deal," Seren nodded, very pleased with the invitation. Though she didn't see why they would have to go all the way to Torchline for that, when there was a whole organization full of fighters to challenge right here.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
"I'm pretty good at cards. Maybe I can teach you one day? I'm sure your dad will have a field day with that." He's not trying to corrupt her, okay? He just kind of corrupt himself. If cheating at cards is corrupt. "Why won't he teach you? Doesn't want you gambling?" He wonders if she knows strip poker is a thing..

He's got no idea who she's talking about but it's fine. He's used to missing things in conversations. Or maybe she's talking about Sunjata and Ronin? What a fucking fight that would be. Somehow Locke thinks he'd end up the only one hurt. "We'll have to spar sometime, see how far our training gets us." Stop making promises you won't keep, Locke.

He hums softly, "Good." He shifts in his seat, turning to look at her again, "How you feelin' now? Relaxed? Still sore?"
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

"That would be fun!" she nodded, enthusiasm still going strong even as her eyelids began to droop. "Mmh, I think he just doesn't want me to learn it from him," she mused. "He said himself that he was a bit of a rogue, so he probably can't say anything if I am, too." Holding up a hand to cover her mouth as a yawn refused to be bitten back, she finished the last of the tea. The dregs were slightly bitter, curling her tongue before the flavor faded. Mellow as a Flowerbirth eve.

Tilting her head around where it rested against the back of the chair, Seren smiled sleepily at her friend brother. "Tired," she admitted, "and not as sore. I might survive tomorrow after all." The only hurdle now was to get back to her room. Leaving the smoldering embers of a dying fire, and this pleasant company, would be a trial. "What about you, are you okay?" But perhaps it wasn't sore feet that plagued Locke.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
"He did tell me about that, the rogue thing. Don't think he and I are so different. Although I doubt I'll make a particularly good solider." And yet, here he is, for now. The need to tell her wells up again but he bites it away. She'll be better off when he's gone. He's already kind of failing at this whole dragoon thing, no need to bring her down with him.

"Sore is doable, luckily. Just make sure you wake up early enough to stretch, and do some before bed. I know it sounds annoying but it really does help. Sitting can make you stiff again." He actually does a few light ones, his legs and arms, wiggling around in his chair as he tries to keep himself awake."M'alright. Think I should head to bed soon. Wanna take a shower before I go. I think there's sand in my ass crack." He only fell like three times.
LOCKE
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Smiling fondly at her adopted brother (whom adopted whom, really?) Seren offered a light shrug. "As long as you're a good person, I don't think it matters much what you do. And if you're the least bit like my dad, I'm sure you are." Following his example and stretching out, the girl yawned, then added, "If it's any consolation, I'm probably no good either. But we can always try, right?"

She would have been happy to sit there and chat away the rest of the night. But if Locke was tired, she would be kind and understanding and let him sleep. (Not because she was tired, oh no.) Hauling herself up onto her feet was a painstaking process, accompanied by many a groan and wince. But up she came, and after twisting so that her spine popped deliciously in three places, Seren offered her hand to her fellow recruit. "Bed it is. I'll try the stretches... a nice lady showed me a few that should help." If she could be bothered to do them. She pretended not to hear anything about Locke's ass-crack... it was not a place she wanted to go.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
i am baby
He's pretty sure he's not a good person but he's not going to break her cute little heart with that. He doesn't think she'd believe him anyway. "Can always try, that's for sure." She yawns and it makes him yawn again. He kind of hates that he's gotten so attached to her so quickly. She's so cute though, like a little lost.. puppy or something. Except she's part god. Or maybe all god. He's not sure how that works.

But soon enough she's offering her hand to him and he 'lets' her pull him up. Even if he didn't really use her help that much. He cringes a little when her back pops, making a little face. "It's a good idea. Keep ya limber and stuff." He almost says something else but he doesn't because he doesn't want the embarrass her more. "Want me to walk you back to your room?" He's gathering up their mugs and the empty plate of cookies, trying to tidy up a little bit.
LOCKE