a eulogy for roads untraveled
Melita!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
I am magnet for all kinds of deeper wonderment
Exuberant and chatty Seren may be, but she was not insensitive. The lack of joy, the lackluster smile and averted eyes were not lost on her, and some of her own delight faltered. Not faded, not yet, but hiccuped into uncertainty. "Is something wrong? Do you... not get along?" Not a common occurrence in Seren's sunshine world where everyone was either a friend or a family member, but... she thought of Aurelia and tried to picture living under the same roof as the woman. Possibly she would be smiling a bit less like that.

Leaving Melita space to think, to avoid the topic if she wished, the starchild considered Stormbreak instead. The plaza and the fountains, the many statues; the big temple and Dragoon barracks where the sky was thick with dragon wings. "A bit, yes. Everyone is very pious and very sure that their way of doing things is the correct one. They are not bad people, though." Only very fond of rules and order, in the way Torchers loved their drink and their chaos.

"My favorite place... is probably the Celestine. It is a garden that Frey and mother - er, Safrin - made together. It is always twilight there, and there are all sorts of animals being cared for." Tilting her head aside, she considered. "Mh, but I like the Falling too. The city is on the cliffs by the sea, and there is a place where there are geysers. Only, they shoot air instead of water, and if you time it right you can fly. Oh, and the Skyport... there are many many boats sailing through the sky, and when night falls their lanterns glow as they return to the docks. It's very beautiful."
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 62 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 63 - Luck: 62 - Int:
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
I am the wind that makes breathing hard
Melita furrowed her brows deeper, into they were glowering things, glaring at the sand; forgetting, quite often, to mask her emotions. “Family stuff is a bit strained at the moment.” Maybe just for her; it was hard to tell, with how often she ducked in and out of the house eaves, striving not to be caught by another one, and unwinding elsewhere. Sometimes she concocted those mannerisms simply because she didn’t want to know anymore – what situation had prevailed over the others, who had returned to who, which individual still permitted everything to happen, which didn’t know what a god damned boundary was. It usually ended with her snapping, emerging frustrated for another party, and then left to her own devices anyway.

So she shrugged it off and let it fade, die, into the opus and oeuvre of the waters and dunes, rather than continuing to reflect on the people who made up her life. At least the image of Stormbreak was a little better than what she’d pictured (obviously filaments of rock and…maybe a break in them). “Ah. So quite a bit different from here,” and she laughed; piety not a prevailing suit in Torchline. Under cloaks and daggers, maybe, but everything seemed to be a melding point, with no strong tethers anywhere, save for her uncle.

The Celestine sounded wonderful though. Animals. Twilight gardens. And the Falling, with geysers and cliffs. Maybe the sea connected along there. The youth tilted her head a fraction. “Do they have anything to represent Ludo?”
I am the ocean and the battered shore
I will be the passion of thunder, a howl of fury
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Gentle concern warmed the blue of Seren's eyes, but she somehow managed not to ask if there was anything she could do. Obviously there wasn't. In a big, sprawling family, the threads tying everyone together were bound to tangle, and the last thing anyone needed was for her to start meddling. Having heard a little more about the latest drama from Hotaru, she could not imagine what kind of moods might be lingering like miasma beneath the rafters of that house.

"I'm sorry to hear that," she said instead, offering heartfelt sympathy when it was the only thing that remained to her. Or... was it? "You know... if you want to, you could come stay with us for a while? For a chance of pace. I have my own room at the Nest, it would be easy to fit in another bed. Or I'm sure dad, Remi and Matheo have a guest room, if you would prefer that."

She could picture it; a russet storm descending upon the stone city, to make it shudder at its foundations. It would be nice to have a friend around - the ones she had made so far were quite busy, and sporadic in their attentions.

"Oh, Ludo? Hm... well, there is a shrine to the three Old Gods, and there's the Trinity Temple... so technically there is. But I don't know if there is a specific shrine only to Ludo - unless..." Seren frowned in thought. "There is a gate that sections off a part of the cemetary. A priest I spoke to said there's only graves beyond it, but maybe there is something else. I wasn't allowed to go see for myself."

Looking over at Melita, curiosity was a live thing in her eyes, glittering and dancing. "Do you like Ludo, then? Have you met it - what is it like?"
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
“It’s okay,” Melita shrugged, even though it really wasn’t. None of it pertained to Seren though, and she could be free of the guilt that might linger within. The honeybee spared her own too, because the youth still didn’t feel the least bit apologetic for the words that had spewed from her mouth. Vitriolic, perhaps, but something she believed they’d needed to hear. Just for once. Even if it didn’t sink in very far, even if it only scorched the surface.

Her eyes widened at the offer, but she shook her head. There was no need to dredge up or involve anyone else in the spree of stupidity. “That's very kind. Thank you, but I’ll be all right. If things get too bad, I’ll just stay in my room on the Ark.” For the most part, it was the overall discomfort in the house. Never really quite knowing where she was supposed to be, or go, or intertwine between all the measures sparking and sizzling, tempestuous and wild in her own right. But it left an impression in between her furrowed brows, notched and waiting for something else to flicker apart. “I’m going to go monster hunting soon anyway.”

The inquiries about Ludo seemed to illustrate more proportions of the illustrious and stark Stormbreak, and she found herself nodding along, seeking out more. “Oh. Hm.” Maybe a graveyard, similar to the one in the Greatwood? Where one entered the forest and were instinctively countered, measured, and weighed, by the presence of endless ghosts? “Why weren’t you allowed to go see?” Wouldn’t a child of Safrin be permitted anywhere? The temptation of the unknown alone would send Melita sprawling over fences; the furtive nature only heightening the necessities.

Discussions over the herald were prompted though, and her feet fell in a sure manner, gliding over the hot sands, Fangorn bumbling along at her side. “It is my favorite! I’ve met it many times, and summoned it to help us whenever we ran into danger.” Smile widening, she reflected on portions and pieces of her meetings. “Very childlike. Loves games. Gave me or helped me obtain quite a few weapons.”
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
A graceful nod accepted Melita's decision, even if the starchild perhaps was a little disappointed. "Alright," she said, "but you should definitely come to visit sometime. I think you might like it - especially the skyboats. I've been meaning to learn how to sail one - wouldn't that be interesting?" If this person liked ships on water, then ships in the sky must surely be just as good, if not better. The note about moster hunting had Seren perk up; "Monster hunting? Is it about that skeleton in Hak Etme? I think my dad is going there too... I wish I could come, too." There was a wistful sigh; once she grew stronger, Seren promised herself. Maybe when she had become a real Dragoon...

"Eh, there was a priest who caught me trying to peek over the gate. He got really upset about it, and I don't want to throw Mother's name around too much. Since she didn't send me there, you know?" Flaunting status where it wasn't needed would only render it less efficient when an emergency came up. But Seren sort of wished she had insisted, when Melita went on to describe Ludo. The mention of games and gifted weapons made her smile.
"It sounds lovely," she admitted. "I wonder if we would get along..." Pursing her lips, she tried to think of a reason to go visit the Herald of death, but came up empty.

While the girls chatted away, the dragon following in their wake had been settling down. As Seren's attention flagged, the Blue suddenly saw its chance; in a rush of speedy paws and whipping tail, he shot forward with course set for Fangorn. Driven by stubbornness and mischief, fully set on making the gourd roll and bounce away along the dunes.
Seren
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
Melita truthfully hadn’t held any inclination to go to Stormbreak. She’d ignored Ronin’s messages about the dragoons. She’d at least adhered to some semblances of warnings about the nature of that world – and with her favored uncle meant to be in its treacherous midst, it hadn’t been anything worth pursuing. “Maybe,” and she shrugged her shoulders; not wanting to loosen away the potential, but not rushing headlong into it either (which might be accounted for personal growth and actual thought). Even if a skyboat did sound very intriguing. And there probably weren’t any god damned ghost whales flailing through the horizon.

As for monster hunting, the honeybee’s smile widened a fraction. “Yes! The one on the notice boards. I used to do a little in the guild, back in the Hollowed Grounds.” Younger and dumber, rampaging towards banshees. Though that clearly hadn’t changed, given how many other spectacles and fiends she’d run into. “Well, knowing this world, you’ll have opportunities before you know it.” Was that encouraging?

The notions about a priest catching her made her laugh lightly. A fair point about utilizing her mother’s name – even if the temptation would be so readily immersed. Her gaze flickered back upward, fingers clenched over her staff, at more mentions of Ludo. “Was it Safrin who didn’t like Ludo, or the other way around…,” she began to murmur, suddenly lost in thought.

Then Fangorn’s warnings came flashing through though, and the youth had only just enough time to stick out her armament, intending to knock it near the dragon’s scales, while she reached down once more to pluck the gourd under her elbow. It was a rush of zealous movement and motion, borne from all of those impetuous, muscle memory designs, a growl and sneer within her essence. Immediate cinders and flares and embers.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
A maybe was good enough for Seren, and she was content to stop her encouragement there. Instead she received uplifting words of her own - it was encouraging to know that the monsters would not run out any time soon! - and she was just about to launch into a monologue about all she knew of Ludo and Safrin's relations, when Umbra struck.

There was a grunt and a squeal as staff met scaly hide, and the dragon was sent sprawling while Melita scooped Fangorn into her arms. Seren was left standing with hands on hips, practically fuming as she glared down at the hatchling. "How dare you! She already said no, learn some restraint!"

Umbra shook his head, dazed and utterly bemused. It was the first time anyone other than Seren had knocked him over, and he couldn't seem to grasp that this had happened. There was an attempt at whining, while silvery eyes turned to the starchild for support, but her grim face offered no sympathy.

Pushing himself up on four legs, the hatchling first turned as if to slink off. Then spread his wings, halfway into a leap to the sky, when he suddenly changed his mind again and tucked them tightly to the sides. His jumbled emotions battered against her mind, and just as he seemed about to hopelessly entagle himself in them, she offered him a way out.

"Apologize, Umbra. To both Melita and her friend. Maybe if you do it right, and aren't so violent about it, you can still play." The raven-haired woman threw a questioning glance at Melita to get an okay.
Seren
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
Melita’s glare was solely for the dragon – the curl of her stoked gaze puncturing, gilded and flared, as if struck by fire themselves. She felt no sympathy for his whine. For his placating. For his guilty missteps. There’d been enough warnings instigated, unfurled, and he’d barreled onward anyway. At the very least, Seren acknowledged it, rather than letting it go, laughing it off, or reeling back upon her in some manner of anger – there was a lesson instilled, fabricated, in all of this foolish melee.

But at the thoughts of an apology, she’d let Fangorn decide. Her eyes went to the bundled gourd in her arms, a pressing arch of her brow, and he rumbled something low. It could’ve been regrets. It could’ve been faith. It could’ve been something about bugs. Thereafter though, the youth inclined her head towards Seren, implying the dragon could apologize, but Fangorn would remain in her arms for safety. So she held him outward instead, turning him around to face the obliging dragon. “We’re listening.”
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren nodded, suppressing a grateful smile for now, and turned her own eyes to the dragon as well. With three pair of stares directed at him, Umbra twisted and huffed smoke where he stood, looking rather trapped for all his majestic wings.

Refraining from more mental nudges, the girl merely let him stew in indecision for a while. Until, finally, something snicked into place within the hatchlings mind. He padded up to face the woman and her gourd, and spread the membraned wings wide, while simultaneously dipping the nead, neck and forelegs down in a bow that was almost courtly in its elegance. A low, mournful sound emanated from his throat, and rather than stare back the Blue closed his eyes.

Then - in a move that frankly astonished Seren - the proud, fierce young dragon toppled over and twisted until he was on his back. Baring stomach and throat to the girl, the most vulnerable parts of his armored bodice - as if inviting another blow from that staff.
Seren
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
It seemed to take a while for the dragon to oblige. Maybe it was pride – Melita had seen it in all the leathery wings and brilliant elements before in the Throat – as if they born with the emotions instilled within their mighty frames. And perhaps they were deserving of it, but the ones who were companions had to be capable of showing and utilizing some measure of restraint. Otherwise, how would they forge onward? Listen to commands?

So she watched and waited, eyes widening as the beast bowed, echoing and reverberating a mournful sound, some declaration of regret conformed even in the midst of not quite being able to understand. This one was clear and concise. Melita was even more surprised when the dragon turned and twisted, showing vulnerable portions, and seemingly composed for a vicious torrent of her staff again.

But she shook her head; having seen enough. “That is fine.” Then she lowered the gourd back to the sand, permitted him to gesture forward. “Do you accept the apology?” Fangorn’s eyes went from hers, and back to the upside down facets and features of Umbra’s face, grumbling something that sounded like acceptance. “There,” she said, dashing her hands together, as if to wipe away the bits and pieces of chaos. “No more of that and we’ll be right as rain.”
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
So proud she could burst, Seren watched her dragon roll back onto his belly. Huffing a pale cloud of smoke at the gourd - not to taunt, but rather in a greeting of sorts - Umbra remained sprawled out, chin resting wearily on the sand as if this display of humility had drained him immensely.

"Thank you," she murmured to Melita. "He needed that... It's one thing with other dragons, they're good at biting back. But there comes a point where nothing I says seem to reach him... Though I dare say he learned a lesson today."

Stretching her arms above the head in a motion that made her back pop, Seren huffed out the tension in a contented sigh. "What were we talking about... oh, Ludo, right? I think it and Safrin doesn't get along because of their different alignments. Like oil and water, or light and dark. But maybe there is more to it than that... What do you think?"
Seren
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
Fangorn made a very hesitant approach – an olive branch of sorts – with an extension of his vines, vibrant and lively, as if by a handshake or something of that nature. Melita remained very still, hands on her hips, save for the palm occupied by the staff, tilting her head to listen to Seren’s explanation. “There’s always something new to learn. Fangorn had to be taught not to bite people,” with a shrug of her shoulders; normal companion behavior when it came to predators. “I know it’s in their nature, but not if they’re going to be tied to us.” Was that wrong – to force their morals upon the animals bonded to them? The honeybee couldn’t be certain, only striving to do something that felt right.

The subject returning to Ludo and Safrin gave her an adequate pause, still not maneuvering until dragon and pumpkin had become better acquainted. “I don’t know. Has she ever said anything about it to you?” Do goddesses discuss their likes and dislikes with their daughters? “Or would she be angry if you mentioned Ludo at all?” Not wanting it to be a testy subject for the girl.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren did not think it wrong. They were tied to one another, and by choosing to live alongside their humans, the followers had to accept their rules no matter how arbitrary they seemed. Not attacking other companions was simply basic courtesy; not to mention the catastrophes that could ensue if willfullness was carried along into combat situations. "Yeah. The Dragoons are quite good at finding the middle ground there, finding ways for the dragons to both follow their nature and listen. Umbra and I have a ways to go still." It was said with a lopsided smile, well aware that her time away from the barracks was costing in many areas.

Watching as the dragon nosed at the extended vines, seeing how hard he was trying not to lip at the wriggling coils, she was not that worried about their soul-bonded friends.
"No, she wouldn't be angry. She has taught me the general lore about all of the Old gods, but mother always has a way of framing things... She would very much prefer if I only listened to her and didn't think too much about everyone else." She chuckled softly, entirely forgiving of Safrin's possessiveness. Unaware of the extents to which it reached, or how destructive it could be.
"Has Ludo spoken of any such things to you?" Seren wasn't sure exactly how close Melita was to the ragged Herald; they seemed amicable at least, if mentioned games was any indication.
Seren
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
yes, yes, I am wild
The Dragoons sounded like a formidable force – something she would’ve yearned to see along her homelands, capable soldiers beneath the stretched, unfurled wings of their companions and comrades, across dunes and oasises. “Do you enjoy being a part of them?” Her words were still not lofted directly, eyes too keen on the scene before her, protective but not hovering.

Fangorn seemed to be taking the snout along his vines in stride, and before long the gourd grumbled something in return, before bounding along the sands. Perhaps a friendly chase, so that no one came to harm. A better alternative than what could’ve been.

Eventually, her gaze settled back on Seren, pondering her statement in return, a light laugh following suit. “That’s how I’ve heard of her too.” Though from Sunjata’s angles, which cast her in either a manipulative light, or in something like a paragon. But Ludo? It had never seemed to care about such things. “No. But I usually don’t press too much.” Or ask too many questions. Just make offerings, and pretend her alignment with Ludo didn’t equate future disaster for Nate.