(o) to look beyond the glory
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Seren

Growing compassion saw her anger melt away the more Sah spoke. Reaching down to pick up Umbra, so she had something beside herself to hold on to - so that she wouldn't reach out for the boy, so lost and far away from home - Seren leaned her cheek against the dragon's warm side. Umbra looped his neck around hers, gazing with a rather stern expression at the young man. She had to think for a moment, to recall everything she knew about the events. It was not enough; she would need to have a long talk with her parents after this, to refresh her memory.

"They... probably were," she admitted, picking up where he left off. "I don't know how long you have been here, but... there is a war brewing. Between the Old gods and the New, and it is us who follow them who will have to do the fighting." It was an inevitability at this point, and though Seren's tone spoke of regret, there was acceptance too. A resigned awareness of something inescapable hurtling towards her.

"Telling the whole story would take a long time, and I can't do it justice. But in essence; there was a human mage who was what they then called Acquired. She had many gifts - but for some reason she turned away from the gods - Vi, Mort, Frey and their Heralds, and began to change the order they had established in the world, alongside Caido. The took creatures and people and twisted them, extending their lives and turned their bodies into machines. The Old gods told her to stop, but she refused, and a war broke out that would shake the world to its foundations."

She paused to breathe, wetting her lips with a tongue that felt parched already. Seren would die for something to drink, but did not want to stop now that she had begun - that would only turn this more confusing than it already was.

"That was three centuries ago. The Voice, as the woman came to be called, was trapped, alongside her followers, in the region called Hollowed Grounds. A barrier was erected that prevented anything or anyone from coming or going, and I think the gods hoped that she would perish there, once none of her people remained. But she was cunning, and created a device that would bring people to Caido from other worlds. Most arrived within the barrier, and they naturally wanted to break free. A few years ago, they succeeded."

The girl flashed a quick glance at Sah, and paused for a moment, to see if he had something to add. That was how he had arrived, too; she hoped someone had explained that much to him already.
It's written in the stars above
Exactly who we are is just enough
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 40 - Dext: 40 - Endr: 48 - Luck: 40 - Int: 1
LILLY - Regular - Grey Wolf PAD - Regular - Grey Wolf
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
Only in the dark of night
Sah eyed the young woman sadly, it was clear from the way she held herself and her companion that this conversation was hard on her. Feeling a bit of guilt, he nodded as Seren spoke. "I noticed the tension." A pause. "And the active recruiting. Some have been rather determined to win me to their side." He didn't expand on it but Wessex in particular came to mind. That woman was determined to bolster her numbers, however he could.

Sah fell silent, listening as Seren started her history lesson, unable to put into words how grateful he was to her for doing so. Pieces of fragmented history and lore began to finally take shape. The Outlander finally getting the history of his new world. Why no one had thought to explain this yet infuriated him. He'd been in Caido for nearly 6 months. And hearing it, Sah understood the rage of the old gods. Of seeing their creations changed against their wishes.  And what Sah knew of the Voice, he assumed that the individual changed gave their assent, at least he hoped so. But that alone didn't negate that the actions defied the wishes of the gods.

Sah's brow raises in confusion as the story came to the role of the Hollowed Ground. He'd heard of the barrier, of the bid for freedom, and how it had led to the Voice's release. But clearly he hadn't heard everything. "I hadn't heard that that was why they created the barriers. Or that the reason for the portals bring in people and make them desperate to escape. It's ingenious, horrible and manipulative, but ingenious." Sah spoke, distaste practically dripping from his words. The Voice had stolen people to do her biding. He hated the idea of anyone using someone else's freedom as a chain to get their way.

And the story explained Sah's predicament somewhat. "I was brought in from a different portal, after the barrier fell. The portal was the one in the Fangs, just outside of Halo. Maybe that's why no one thought to explain anything. They thought I knew, or that the portal trip itself told me." He let out a tired sigh bending down to pick up Lilly, needing whatever comfort he could get. "Thank you for telling me all of this. I've been in Caido for nearly half a year and I'm only just hearing this." The little pup in his arms nuzzled into the crook of Sah's neck as if trying to give him a hug. It made Sah's throat tight and he grew silent once more.
Do the stars shine bright
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Seren

Seren could understand his confusion, and the upset of having so much withheld from him. Why no one had filled Sah in on these stories was beyond her, but perhaps it was simply one of those things that people preferred not to speak about. Many, she guessed, might not even know, or care.

Her heart went out to him, and the way he reached for his own companion made her forget her reluctance to touch. It had been out of respect for his privacy, in part, and also perhaps a little bit because he was a young man, and a rather handsome one at that... But all that fell away, ceased to matter, and the girl shifted her dragon out of the way so that she could reach up and touch a hand softly to Sah's shoulder. He was not alone, and the starborn girl wanted him to feel that.

"I know it's a lot," she murmured, compassion turning her voice warm. "But I hope it won't weigh too heavily on you. The war is coming, but perhaps you can manage to stay on the outskirts of it. While people might try to drag you into it, the gods will be more interested in the Accepted, or their chosen ones." Ascended, Attuned, the hybrids who had chosen sides... and the demi-gods, who never had a choice.

A small part of her was quite content with the way he had rejected the Voice's tactics, too. It was reassuring - to know that this was one person she wouldn't have to face on a battlefied one day. She hated adding more to this heaping mound of information, but his talk of the portals prompted her all the same.
"About those... I was warned against using the Portals by my mother," she told him. "She said that the Voice has ways of collecting information on those who step into them. And that maybe she can start to control them, if she becomes powerful enough. I... don't know if people are aware of this." Or if they knew, and used them anyway. It was very convenient, but also very dangerous.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Age: 26 | Height: 6'0" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Sah eyed Seren's approach warily but relaxed as soon as her hand was on him. With one hand he reached up and gently squeezed one of the hands on his shoulders before quickly letting go, not wanting to make her uncomfortable. But the gesture meant a lot to him all the same. "Thank you." His voice was heavy with gratitude for her compassion and for taking the time to tell him what he so desperately needed to know.

Sah let out a sigh, shaking his head sadly. "As much as I wish that was true, I know war. And there is no staying on the outskirts." His voice was tired, weighed down by memories. "Those who attempt to stay out of it are trusted by neither side and are often seen as threats. They tend to ostracized, threatened, and even killed for their choice. Aligned to none often means being the enemy of both." He'd seen it firsthand and that was part of the reason why Sah was so stressed. If he wanted the best chance of life he'd likely have to choose a side. And although it'd become clear that the Voice was the enemy, there were many Ascended that were not. Sah just wanted to protect who he cared for, and it was his unfortunate luck that there were people on both sides.

The news of the portal made his eyes widen, shock clear. "Truly? Makes me glad that the only time I've used a portal was when I was brought to Caido." The Voice was clever, providing easy transportation as a means of spying and scouting out friend and foe alike. She truly was a force to be reckoned with.

Sah composed himself as best as he could, drawing on Lilly's solid weight on his arm. "This war will be a brutal one. I'm still trying to figure out where I'll be. All I want is to protect those I care for, and I have people on both fronts. I just don't know how to protect those that are Ascended from their own goddess. Or how to ensure that they can survive without her." He ran a hand through his hair, eyes on Seren going warm. "Regardless, thank you for telling me all of this. And whatever happens, I wish you the best." He then cleared his throat, glancing at the tree line. "Weren't we looking for peppermint bark?"
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Slightly awkward about the whole thing, Seren let go when Sah did. The feeling of his hand over hers lingered even after it had passed, and she hastily turned her thoughts away from it - but not quick enough to escape the slight blush from creeping onto her cheeks.
"If I am of any help at all, then I'm only glad," she murmured, brushing a lock of dark hair behind an ear. Umbra's face turning on her was swatted aside too - there was something very teasing and smug about the way his nose tried to bop her cheek. "I probably shouldn't try to sway you, if you've yet to decide. Choosing sides is a luxury I don't have... but Mother is kind, and she has never placed a burden on me that was too heavy." Not yet. But then, Seren had only begun to test herself, too. Who besides Safrin knew what she was truly capable of yet?

As the tension bled from Sah's gaze, Seren's smile slowly returned. The reminder was the only cue she needed to start walking again; they did apparently have a ways to go. "You too, Sah. I really do hope you don't get dragged into any of it - even if it makes me sound awfully naive to say it."

Nudging her dragon from the shoulders, Seren braced against the shove as Umbra took off and began to fly ahead, in the direction that Lilly had pointed out before.

"The home you had before... what was it like? What you described sounded lovely," she said, offering up a different topic to fill the silence as they walked. Always curious about the new people she met, she had yet to hear much about Outlander worlds. Even her father's former home was a mystery to her in many ways - and Sah's had been one with gods. That made it doubly interesting.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah gave the demigod one last warm smile before he too continued to walk. "Being hopeful and being naïve aren't the same thing, nor are they mutually exclusive." He stated simply. It was true that while the sentiment was a bit naïve, if one didn't hope for a better outcome then they wouldn't have the strength to carry on. Sah was sure it was a lesson and distinction that Seren would learn in her own time. It wasn't one that could truly be taught at least.

As Lilly and Umbra continued guiding their path, Sah was a bit surprised at Seren's curiosity about his home. Still though, he indulged her. Eyeing the trees with a slightly distant glaze to his eyes, he began. "My world was one filled with magic. One where just about every species was capable of some form of it. And when I say just about every, I mean from the tiniest forest creature, to the people, and to magical beasts of a vast array. Magic was a common occurrence, a part of everyday life, the boundaries between good and evil magic defined only by the intentions of the user. If one couldn't create their own they could learn to harness it in another way or used items to wield it. In short, magic was everywhere. And the creatures and people were just as diverse. Humans, dragons, elves, fey, just to name a few."

Sah paused, gathering his thoughts, his voice growing solemn. "We had a pantheon of gods as well, ones with their own plans, favored creatures, and agendas. War broke out from time to time just as the one that Caido is headed towards. And yet it wasn't war that ended my world." He shook his head in frustration "I don't understand what did. One minute everything was fine and the next.... The world shattered around us and everything went black. The world just...ended." He let out a shaky breath. "And I woke up in Caido in the middle of the tundra, in a new body."

Sah closed his eyes for a moment, letting the sounds of the forest calm him. Letting out a breath, he continued, his tone lighter. "As for me?  I said before that in my world my kind served a goddess. Her name was Mune, Goddess of the moon. We were her chosen. The best way I can describe my species is that of large winged wolves with elemental magic. It was even said that the first of our kind was created by Mune out of the wild elemental magic our world." Sah glanced at his very human hand, almost with wonder. "And so for me, waking up alone in Caido after watching the end of my world? Realizing that I'm in a new body so different then my original one? I was overwhelmed. Having to suddenly adjust not just to a new world's rules and gods, but also learning that my magic is exponentially weaker here?" Sah shook his head again, glancing at Seren. "I'm sure you can imagine the confusion I felt." He chuckled slightly. "And the panic."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

Seren listened to his unfolding tale with bated breath and rapt attention. It was a story but better, and made real by the true fondness she sensed in him as he spoke. There was a curious maturity to the way he spoke that jarred with the youthful face, and she found herself wondering if he was a bit like herself. Displaced in time as well as body, able to view the world from a different perspective.

It became strange when Sah revealed that he had been born a wolf. It took some adjusting for her mind to comprehend, but she did have the imagination to put herself in his shoes. If she suddenly became a wolf... How strange would that not be.

"Your Mune sounds a little bit like my mother," Seren reflected, turning her gaze up to a sky that was too daybright and cloudy for stars. "She is a goddess of the stars, and Herald to the god of life. I find it a little strange that you did not manifest here as an Attuned... but if your magic was as strong as you say, then perhaps that was what weighed in the most."

Seren stole glances at Sah from the corners of her eyes, trying to spot the wolf in him. But all she could see was a man, young and serious, occasionally a little boyish.

"If it's any comfort, you can develop your magic to become stronger," she added with a smile. "And if you decide to follow the Old Gods, one day you might even get your old form back. Ah - sorry. I'm not trying to preach or anything like that. Please don't read too much into it." She made a gesture with her hands, as if to wars away any protests before they could be spoken. She offered him a sheepish smile.

"I'm still learning about Caido too," she confided, offering up some of her own story. "I was created, rather than born... and when Mother brought me here I already had the body of a five-year old. You can imagine my father's surprise when I just kept growing. Would you believe me, if I said I was 'born' in Leafchange, year 310?" Again blue eyes lingered on the young man; her tale was just as strange as his, if not more so.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah noticed her eyeing him, guessing her thoughts. A smile sheepish smile appeared. "I've gotten better at coming across as human. Though, I ah... still slip into old habits. A lot." He still found himself growling first or relying on body language before he realized that the person he was talking with had no means of comprehending. But at least he generally caught himself after and corrected it by actually speaking.

Sah listened with curiosity as Seren spoke of her mother, he hadn't known that the herald was a goddess in her own right. Goddess of the esters? He could see the similarities. As for his magic? He'd had that thought numerous times. "It was powerful." His tone as wistful. "Conjuring storms with ease, channeling massive surges of lightning....At least I kept my lightening affinity when I came to Caido." Sah found himself chuckling as Seren backtracked after mentioning the possibility of attuning. "Relax. I've been told of the possibilities.He frowned. "Even if I gained the ability to turn into a wolf, I still wouldn't regain my wings. Caido doesn't have my species." That had one of the things that he was both thankful for, but also hurt the most. Knowing his kind were gone completely burned. But seeing them running around Caido and unable to join them would have killed something in him. His brows furrowed at the thought.

Hearing that Seren was so young was a shock to his system. "You're just a pup?" He appraised her with wide eyes. That did explain the bit of naivety that she carried. But it also made her wisdom all the more impressive. Though it was clear that her mind grew at the same rate as her body, some things could only be learned through raw life experience. And Sah's eyes softened as he realized the disadvantage Seren had been placed at. "That has to be hard. But at least you get to explore everything and actually be old enough to remember it."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

A little embarrassed to be caught looking, the girl snapped her eyes forward again. Though he didn't seem to mind, it still felt like she was doing something rude.
"You're doing great," she assured, mouth twitching halfway between a smile and something more rueful. "Though I don't really know what to look for either..." Oops. Did that confirm what she had been up to? Oh well, never mind. It still made her tingle with curiosity, that this person had been something different most of his life. Why a wolf turned man would be more remarkable than an Attuned doing the opposite was beyond her, but it was.
"What's the biggest difference?" she asked, too curious to stop herself. "Between wolves and humans, I mean."

His magic intrigued her too. Lightning and storms brought to mind the coast of Torchline in Leafchange, and the rage of elements as the seasons changed. She had grown up watching the rain batter her window, roaming wind-tossed shorelines in search of treasure thrown out of the sea. If his strength had been anything like the tempests of those times, then Seren very much understood why he missed it. As if her island suddenly had shrunk and could no longer contain all that she wished to collect. And to top it off, his family - his whole species - was no more; her hand reached out and brushed against his in a quick, shy gesture of sympathy.

Being called a puppy was perhaps taking things a bit too far, though. Seren blinked at that, and looked like she wanted to protest. "I am exactly as grown as I look," she murmured, not exactly pouting but also... sort of pouting. Completely ruining the effect of anything she was trying to say. "At least I am expected to act like an adult, all while people around me act like I somehow can't understand their BiG and DifFiCulT ProBlEmS." Her tone was mocking, sarcasm overflowing; it was exasperating to walk that line, never sure whether she was about to be protected or thrown into the depths of chaos.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah hummed in thought, lips twitching slightly in amusement at Seren's eager question. Her small gesture wasn't lost on him and it made him feel warm. " I can't speak for your typical wolf, my kind were as intelligent as humans. My mind hasn't changed at all even if I physically have." He paused to think about her question deeper. "I'd have to say that the biggest difference is how they connect with others. The whole personal relationships between friends, family, etc. Humans are so much more distant. So less inclined to show their affection and care for each other. It's sad." Sah shook his head, real pity in his voice. "It wasn't uncommon amongst my kind for friends to curl up together to sleep, either for warmth or company. Verbal terms of endearment and other things were equally common between friends as well as mates. Though different terms were used obviously. Here in Caido..." Sah trailed off slightly. "I've hardly seen anyone greet each other with a hug. A few handshakes or pats on the back, sure. But it seems so cold."

Sah's melancholy vanished at Seren's pout. It was rather adorable. "I know. But you can't speed up life experience." He gave a half-hearted shrug. The former canine found himself raising a brow at the demigod's tirade. He understood it completely. "It was the same for me. I was the leader of my pack, and I was far too young to be. Circumstances led to the death of our previous one and she named me her heir. It was an uphill battle to prove myself and I faced the same difficulty. No one knew what to expect from me, or how to treat me. Was I just a juvenile in way over his head, or was I their Alpha? Finding that balance was difficult but after a few years of leadership, we figured it out." He was sure that Seren would also figure that balance out and prove herself to those that doubted her.
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

To hear someone express understanding of her situation went beyond relief. It felt comfortable, safe as if she suddenly breathed a little easier. And Seren completely understood what Sah was talking about as well.

"I know what you mean," she nodded. "Though in other ways people are also very free with their touching in ways I don't understand. They won't hug whoever or hold hands, but they are willing to bed almost anyone just for fun. And I can never quite tell when someone is touching me out of sympathy or when there is supposed to be more to it. So I'm constantly a little on edge, and it's exhausting." It did not really pair well with her personality, because by nature Seren was exuberant and touchy, eager to dole out hugs and little nudges - like here, like she just did. But going from the child's free affection to a whole new awareness of her own body - and the attention of others - was a confusing mess, and made her retreat from the whole subject like it was red-hot and sizzling.

"Hmm... So which was it?" she teased, with a cheeky grin. "In over your head, right? I bet that was it." Of course, it was a bet she would lose. There was a weight and maturity to much of what Sah said that made her believe him, when he claimed to have held a role of leadership. It made her wonder what would become of him, once he settled in better in Caido. Would he be content to stay on the sidelines, and let others make the decisions for him?
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah blinked, genuinely confused. Bed? What did that have to do with...? But then he processed what she meant and his eyes widened. Turning red, Sah looked away. "I ah.. don't get that either." He coughed. "I really don't. And it's caused some interesting misunderstandings. There have been far too many times where I didn't even realize someone tried to proposition me until days after." Humans were so weird and their flirting attempts just made Sah's head hurt.

Sah scoffed, regaining composure at Seren's tease. A playful smirk stretched across his face and he raised a brow. "But of course. Until they realized that they'd fail every time they challenged me for the position." Sah's smirk was tinged with just a hint of sadism. It had been far too much fun to put those who thought him weak in their place. "It was very satisfying to take them down a notch."
Sah
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren

She hadn't expected him to blush. It was such a cute reaction that Seren had to bite the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing; he probably wouldn't appreciate it, and it wasn't mocking. "There are so many cues, and metaphors, and unspoken things you're supposed to do..." An exasperated gesture with her hand elaborated on the topic far more than she could achieve with words. Confusion, bewilderment - and a sense of being left out of a good secret that everyone else seemed to share.

At least Sah was as out of the loop as she was. That was reassuring.

How much more fun, and easy it was to play like this instead. His grin was one of hidden fangs and smugness that made the girl want to both smack him and laugh along. "I can imagine," she crooned, thinking of her own weapons practice and the times where older, stronger recruits had been taken down by her swift strikes. "And would you say that you're still strong in a fight?" The way she wiggled her brows was only a little bit challenging, more playful than daring - though it didn't keep her from wondering who would come out on top in a test of strength.
Sah Lovi
the Wild Thunder
Hunter

Change author:
Sah nodded, gesturing as well as he spoke. "And if you miss one thing, you send the wrong message, and everything gets awkward. It's maddening." Sah shook his head in exasperation. "I doubt I'll ever pick up on it. Especially since it's something that must 'remain unsaid'". He made figure quotations on that last part to emphasize his  annoyance. It was so freeing to talk to someone who understood the frustrations of interacting with the average person.

At Seren's playful challenge, Sah's grin grew. "I won't lie, I'm a lot weaker in this form, not just my magic. I'm basically having to start from scratch relearning everything. It's all so different in this body, even my center of gravity. I still have all of my experience and instincts, it's just the implementation I'm relearning." Sah paused "Oh, and I had to learn how to wield human weapons. No more claws sadly." Sah sarcastically wiggled his very human fingers. "But I'm still stubborn, so who knows? I've never shied away from facing those stronger than me. Especially if I have back up." Sah's smiled turned sheepish as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I may have cussed out a god or two. Repeatedly." He paused, his voice going quieter out of slight embarrassment. "Bit one too."
Sah