[SE] Singing in the rain
open
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
And I hope if everybody runs, you choose to stay
Sitting back on the wet ground, with water streaming down her face and dark hair plastered to the side of face and neck, there was very little about the girl that spoke of divine origins. Unless perhaps that kindness in her smile, and the warmth of sympathy in bright blue eyes was what gods were all about.
"Very poorly," she replied. "I trust you to find the biggest, meanest thugs in all of Torchline for us. And then we'll level them by kicking in their knees." Since Locke had bad luck with his punching.

Her expression turned into one of puzzled thought as he explained about the bone. "That does sound interesting," she admitted. "Are you not going to keep it for yourself, though? I am sure Frey would help if you asked them." Then her eyes narrowed at Locke, in playful suspicion. "Where did you say you got that thing, again?"
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 26 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 26 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Zombeikid Offline
Change author:
MP: 630
LOCKE

"Being kicked in the knees hurts, just so you know." There was a time when he thought he might be the biggest baddest thug in Torchline but really that was just a farce. He's not even really a thug, even if he totally stole the whalebone. He pats her cheek, "I'm sure we'll handle 'em just fine though. Your dad told me he used to get in bar brawls too. Back when he was a solider."

Locke shrugs, "Gotta be honest, kind of digging the claws and fangs right now. I think you'd find more use with it." He snaps his teeth lightly at her but it's true. He's started actively hunting as a jaguar and there's something cathartic about crushing something's head with your jaws. He's not going to tell her that though. "Told you, I found it." It's not exactly a lie..
I'm motivated by the lack of doubt
I'm consecrated but I'm not devout
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Cocking her head aside, Seren blew raindrops off her lips and smirked. "I can live with their pain," she said. "If it's really bad, I can always patch them up again, afterwards." Maybe it would be cathartic, to let out her troubles in such a chaotic fashion. That she usually flinched from drawing blood in spars was pushed back back back into the depths of her mind where she didn't have to look at it. It would be fine.

She snapped her own teeth playfully after Locke's hand on her cheek, and poked her tongue out at him. "Alright, if you're sure. Thank you, Locke, I would love to have it. Do you have it here, or...?" Seren looked him up and down. Supposedly it was a big bone? But either he had learned to hide things really well or the thing was stored somewhere else.

Umbra soon tired of their talks, and returned towards the puddle. Where he slunk into the water and swam about, the dragon looked like some miniature sea-monster in a miniature lake, causing waves to ripple and surge and slosh up onto grassy banks. White flowers grew like mimiature stars in the verdure; Seren eased over and began to pluck some here and there, braiding the stems together into a wreath.

"Come here," she beckoned to the jaguar man after a while, arching her finger in a 'come hither' fashion.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Age: 34 | Height: 6'2 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
LOCKE

He grins at her, shaking his head a little. "Never pegged you for a sadist but can't say I'm mad about it." Locke doesn't mind a little casual sadism. Or masochism. It's probably his favorite thing. But then again, he might be looking at this a little different than she is. Either way he supports it.

Locke sneers playfully at her when she sticks her tongue out. "Nah. It's back in Torchline. Didn't see a reason to bring it and I didn't want it to get stolen." After all, it's so light. It wasn't much of a struggle to steal it. "Could come back with us and I could give it to you then? We came on the Ark." If only he had a little portal pouch but he's not so lucky.

He's thoroughly soaked by now but he doesn't mind. He gives her another pat before standing up and popping his back with a groan. Why is he getting old? He's about to hold his hand out to her but she's already up and wandering off. He watched her for a moment before looking over at Umbra. "Can come to Torchline and go swimming in a proper pond too. Or rather, the ocean. Might be good for him." As if Locke really knows anything about dragons.

But then Seren is calling him over and honestly, he's got no reason not to. "What are you doing?" It looks like she's twisting flowers together but he's not sure why.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Smiling secretively, the girl's fingers kept weaving the flower stems together. When Locke obediently came over, she stood, reached up and plopped the wreath onto his curly head.
"There. Very pretty," she grinned, looking very pleased with herself. "I can come along to Torchline. We both can," Seren added with a glance at her dragon.

Umbra did not seem to care about the temperature of the water; he was busy snapping after dragonflies and puffed out billowing clouds of steam, to the point where the small 'lake' was slowly receiving a blanket of mist to waft across the surface.

Shaking her head, Seren chuckled softly at her companion. "Locke... why did you leave the Dragoons? Did you not like it there?" Looking back at her friend, her brother, the young woman's eyes were kind, if perhaps a little sad. It had been so comfortable to have Locke around the barracks. Even if it was for a short time only, his presence had made the place feel more like a home, and less like a scenario she only almost fitted into.
Seren
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

He leans down a little and let's her put it on his head. He almost feels sheepish when he stands back up, a soft smile quirking at the corner of his lips. For how little time they've really spent together, he does love her. She seems to be that kind of person. Easy to love and all of that. "Thank you. I'll take it as payment for the bone." He lightly touches the flower crown before stepping back a little bit.

The pair watch Umbra for a moment and Locke feels a sense of loss he's all too used to. When she speaks, he doesn't turn to look at her. Instead he shrugs lightly. "Don't think I was cut out to be a dragoon. Kinda didn't like the attitude of Stormbreak either." He realizes what he's about to say might put him at odds with her but so be it. "I've got nothing against the Ascended and the Voice put out the Wren Society fire. While I was in there." He holds his hands out so she can see them. They're mostly healed but there's scars littering his skin. "It could've been so much worse.."

"I just.. Couldn't do it, Seren."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Laughing, the girl nodded an acceptance of the bargain, though secretly she felt like Locke was selling himself short. No matter; the would make it up to him some other way.

Listening to his reply, her hands slowly fell back down to hang limp at her sides. Something like an ache started up in the pit of her belly, but Seren managed a smile all the same. Easy, free of blame.

"I didn't know you were involved with that," she said, and reached up to take Locke's hands. "I'm sorry you got hurt... and very glad that it wasn't worse." Her thumbs brushed over the scarred palms, frowning. At this point, there was little her magic could do to improve things. She couldn't erase the scars - though she wished she could, if they made him feel sympathetic to the Voice.

"What will you do instead? Run the Halenani with Maeve?" Her tone was a little doubtful - it seemed much too settled and orderly for this man.
Seren
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

She smiles and he wonders if it's fake but it's fine. Sometimes you have to shrug things off for the people you love. He's not very good at that though. She takes his hands, running her fingers over the scars and he wonders if that will be everyone's response to it. If they pity him. He kind of hates it but he just returns her smile instead.

"It wasn't as bad as the Slagveld, but yeah, at least no one was hurt." Well, except for Atlas. He still wants to ask Aurelia about why she did it but he hasn't found the time. It's probably for the best. "I'll be alright. I just.. Don't want to end up on the wrong side of things." He's already made a mistake, caring too deeply for two demigods on either side of it. But it's too late now.

His head tilts as she talks, shoulders shrugging lightly. "M'not sure really. I don't think running the Halenani would be my thing. Maeve has put a lot of effort into it, I don't want to overstep." And maybe he's not entirely sure he can handle it. What would he even do? "Plus, I did the brothel thing. Was pretty good at it but it's not my kind of thing. Not that you need to know that." He sticks his tongue out at her, trying to get back to something silly, something light.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"The wrong side...?" Squeezing his fingers, Seren slowly let go and wrapped her arms around herself. "I thought you just said you were on my side." Was that wrong? Or right? Seren hadn't been the one to start fires, or put out them out. Nor had she saved any unicorns. If he was looking for the winning side, then perhaps hers was not the one to choose.

Again she tried to smile, but the girl didn't know how to fake amusement when it wasn't truly there. Joy was wilting in her chest, a day old flower left in a vase without water - something not even Locke's jests managed to revive to its full splendor.
"Ah, so I am only to know the nice and pretty sides about you? You know... I won't actually break from learning that the world isn't all sunshine and roses." But so many people seemed intent on hiding their shadows away when they were around her. Like she wouldn't notice, if they only grinned wide enough.
Seren
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

"Seren, I am on your side. I'm not going to be on the side of people who think someone being Ascended is worthy of death. If you believe that than, well, I hope you reconsider." The last thing he'd ever want to do is fight her. Demigod or not. Daughter of Ronin or not. He loves her and the last thing he wants is to raise a blade to her.

Her hands fall away from his and they're left standing there, staring at each other in the rain. Hazel eyes narrow as she speaks and he rolls his eyes with a sigh. "Fine, Seren. You want to know the darker parts? Really?" He takes a step closer, leaning close to her face. "Fine. I grew up in a brothel, helped raise all the little brothel babes, cleaned rooms and waited tables. Then one day, one of the clients decided they didn't want any of the girls there. No, they wanted me. And I had no choice in it." He shakes his head, clearly upset but biting it down.

"So no, Seren, I don't want to help Maeve run the Halenani. Hell, I'd rather she not have anything to do with it either. I know it means a lot to her though." More than he does. "Want to know more? Seren? About all the little dark and dirty things that happen to the regular folk? Would that make you feel better?" Every word out of his mouth is tinged with anger and dripping with cruelty. Inside, he wants to take it back but if she wants to see the darkness, then he'll show her. She's been treated too softly by the world and it's clear.
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Seren could only gaze at him, mute and unable to answer. Did she think that? Did she believe that Ascended should die, for being what they were?

No. But she almost wished she did. If only it could be that simple, that black and white.  

"I don't want anyone to die," came her helpless answer, too little and too late to be convincing. "But I don't get to decide that."

It would seem that she had struck a nerve. Locke stepped in closer, looming over her. A shadow in this pale, dim haze of a day, awakened to haunt her. Or perhaps she was finally allowed to see his ghosts, like she had asked for. They were grim indeed, leaving her sick to the core with compassion for the young boy who'd had his life ruined by selfish cruelty. For the man he had become, wound so tight that the unspooled coil lashed wildly about, hurting anything in its path.

Her eyes burned, but the tears became mixed with the rain. Who could tell if the water trickling down her cheeks was salty or sweet?
"Of course I don't feel better," she answered in a hoarse whisper. At least her voice conveyed the truth of her emotions, for all that her face felt stiff and cold. "Why would I be happy to know that you've been hurt? I just want to know you. All of you... how can I be on your side if I don't?"

Or was this really just a charade? It was fine to play at family when all was laughter and fun times... but as soon as the rain started pouring, she was not allowed to stay? What kind of friend would she be? What kind of sister?
Seren
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

"Oh but you do, Seren. No one is going to force your hand and if they do, then it was never your choice. But the second you decide to kill someone, that's on you." He's learned it the hard way, really. And he's not going to kill someone for being one thing rather than another.

He hates that he hurt her, hates that he'll continue to hurt her. He always does. All he knows how to do is hurt the people he cares about, who care about him. He should've known better than to let her get this close to him in the first place. Should've known better than to care himself. "I told you before, that my life hadn't been easy. But knowing someone comes with pain, Seren. Truly opening up hurts everyone involved." It's why he doesn't do it. He'll be the big dumb man who likes to bake sweets and lay on the beach and get drunk and fuck if it means not getting hurt.

"If you want to know someone, you have to learn how to deal with that. I've done bad things and bad things have happened to me too. That's just how it is."
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
In the end, you will never be able to save anyone.

Her mother's words coiled like smoke of incence through the back of her mind. Fragrant, sweet. Cloying and comforting; it was not her choice to make. It never had been. All a starchild could do was shine a light in the dark and help others help themselves. What did that mean, for those who had turned their backs on the sun? She didn't know. Didn't want to know. It was safer to look only at those whose lives she couldn't bear to lose.

"Everyone dies. That is part of life. I can help people, for a while... but it's not for me to decide when it is over. That is not my role." It was her mother's words, echoed from numb lips. Seren wasn't sure she entirely understood - could she take a life, but not save one? - but she chose to have faith that her goddess and Mother did.

"Does it hurt you, to know me too?" The notion was unbearable. Was she causing pain every time she reached out to touch another soul? Unconsciously Seren took a step back. As if merely standing close to her might make it worse for him. A touch against her leg made her stop. Umbra coiled protectively around her, his presence a warm weight to anchor herself against. "I don't want that. I never want to hurt you."
Seren
Locke Moore
Mercenary

Change author:
LOCKE

The anger he's feeling melts off with the rain rolling down his skin. The way her expression falls, the way she shrinks into herself. He hates all of it. Another step closer and he holds out his hand to her. "Of course it hurts, Seren." His expression is soft, his voice barely a whisper as he steps closer. "That doesn't meant I regret it or wish I didn't care about you."

This isn't how he wanted this to go, not at all. "Look, Seren. Caring about someone means you hand them the knife to hurt you with, okay? So be careful who you hand that knife too. Make sure it's worth it." She's so naive and he's the worst person to be trying to explain this to her.