take a step, take another step
Ray!
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
We can be the kings and queens of anything, if we believe.
"I'll keep my eyes open. And be careful," the girl promised cheerfully. She had some plans for a bit of alone time in the Wilds anyway, so it would not be difficult to collect some specimen for Ray.

Throwing a pleased look at the growing number of vials full of color, Seren watched the tools and new plant with interest. The damp heat of the room was curling her hair into some wild tangled mess, glued to the temples as she set to work. It was harder work than the rest, but quite satisfying. The contented smile and color-stained fingers brought to mind some forest witch's apprentice rather than a well-groomed daughter of starlight... And perhaps, in moments like these, she was more her father's child indeed.

"If I wanted to make the white..  how would I process the Hel droppings?" she asked, once the grind and thunk of mortar and pestle subsided and the powdered galls were deposited into the cauldron.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
RAY
In ancient times
cats were worshipped as gods
Ray nods, satisfied with the promise. "Good." For a moment there's silence apart from the sound of pods cracking and being ground. It's rhythmic and soothing, and very satisfying. Soon the two girls have enough of the powder to actually get the dye going. "Alright, into the pot and we let it boil till the color comes through." Ray announces cheerfully as the begins to dust the powder in. The water and vinegar is already beginning to boil, so this last one should be a success just like the rest.

"The white? Oh, you collect the droppings and then let them dry until they're hard." The gestures a hand towards the motor and pestle. "And then it's just like the galls. You grind them up and mix them with the water and vinegar until the water turns white." Ray explained easily. And just as she finishes her explanation, the color in the pot begins to shine through.

Ray turns to the pot, eying it appraisingly and nodding for Seren to do the same. "Take a look. For white and black you have to keep checking the color. You add more galls or droppings until the water turns the vibrancy that you want. Is this color black enough for you or do you want it darker?"
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Alright, good to know." that didn't sound too complicated; Seren might try to make that on her own. Coming over she peered into the cauldron, and found the water beginning to take on a dusky color, like swamp water.

"Let's make it as dark as possible," she suggested, and reached for more oak galls. "I can always dilute it if I want a thinner coat of black." The opposite was much more difficult.

Soon the sound of pounding and grinding picked up again. "Did you hear what happened at the Party?" Seren asked over the noise, throwing a glance at Ray.
Seren
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray nodded and grabbed more oak galls. "Let's grind up some more then. That way you'll have an extra dark black." The process of grinding and mixing began once more, only pausing for a moment when Seren spoke. Ray let out a sigh before continuing to work. "I was there actually. Heard it first hand. I've sped up my preparations since then, gathering vital herbs and such. That way I'll have enough to make what I need when the time comes."

As the water turned an even darker black, Ray eyed her friend with open concern. "I know that with you being a demi-god you're almost guaranteed to have to fight. Just promise me that'll do your best to stay safe. And if you want any lessons on healing yourself or others before things get bad, my door is always open." Ray might  not be the most powerful but if her knowledge could help, she'd offer it freely.
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The comforting sound of the pestle and the slow simmer of the water made for a stark contrast to the change in topic. Seren's gaze lingered on the other woman, understanding and full of respect for the quiet acceptance of the inevitable that had Ray begin preparing so naturally.

That anyone would think of herself in this made Seren's heart ache with gratitude. "No doubt I will be involved in some way," she confirmed with a troubled little smile. "Whether that will include fighting on the front lines, I can't say. But I will be careful, you have my word on that." As careful as she could be. "If you trade in information... do you think you could dig a little about the weapons the oracle mentioned? I would very much like to know more about them."

Adding her extra oak galls to the brew, the young demigoddess stared down into the swirling liquid. It darkened perceptively, until the bottom of the kettle no longer shone through. So dark... such a hopeless color. She felt the strongest impulse to grab some of that Hel guano and sprinkle in. To add stars, to make light... even if only a faint and distant one.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray hummed, recalling the Oracle's words. "The relics? I have eyes and ears already out looking. If I find anything, I'll let you know. But one thing. The Oracle didn't really specify that they'd be weapons. Keep your mind open. These relics sound like they'll be tools for the war, but not all tools are blatantly weapons." Ray advised her friend, having debated the possible identities of the items for many nights already. She'd learned from a young age to find every possible meaning in one's words, to catch the hidden messages and clues that they might present. Who knew just what these relics might be. One could be a map or something for all they knew.

Once the water was dark enough it was time to strain it once more. "Alright, last one." Ray announced as they began to pour out the dye into it's new jug. "Once these cool down we can close them off and they'll be good to go."
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
"I never thought of that," the girl admitted thoughtfully. "I assumed that since it was tied to war, they had to be weapons... but you are right, or course." It took some adjusting in her mind, and thoughts kept simmering behind blue eyes even as the last batch of dye was strained and poured.

"You know some people around here, right?" came a slow question, when after some time a niggling suspicion began to take form.
"Would you... happen to know about anyone with fire or ice magic? On the more powerful side."

While her father had promised to find someone, it couldn't hurt to ask around herself.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray nodded, catching on to the shift in mood as they finished up the last dye. "It's Torchline. Things are never what they seem around here so I try to keep my eyes and ears open when I can so as not to be caught off guard." She confirmed. The herbalist didn't recall every telling Seren about her side job and likely wouldn't. At least not yet. Her friend seemed to have too strong of a morality to accept such a shady endeavor. But Seren's question had Ray's brows furrowing.

"Seren, that really depends. Are you looking to harm the individual or individuals in question?" Ray could think of a person or two that she'd heard of. One person she knew personally came to mind but Ray wouldn't give her friend's name to the demigod. Especially when she wasn't sure of just what Seren wanted with them.
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
The notion that she would harm anyone made Seren's head snap up, and the look she gave Ray was shocked. Then she recalled Sah's reaction to her, when he found out what she was. Shame and sadness curled her lips into a frown, and the girl closed her eyes, to calm down the raging protests.

"Never," she replied, quiet as a sigh yet with a wild fervor in the tone that made her sound altogether fierce. "I would ask for their help. That's all. There is something I need to do... it might be a bit dangerous, but I would never hurt anyone. Not unless they attacked me or my family first."

And that was why she could never become a soldier. Seren realized that now. Someone who walked the battleground, maybe. Someone who could do what was necessary, yes. But a murderer?

No. No. Please no.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray's eyes went wide at Seren's reaction. She waved her hands, "No, no, you misunderstand! When I meant harm I meant something like arrest or question them about something. I know you're not like that." The herbalist felt horrible for making her friend think that Ray saw her that way. She didn't. Seren was one of the few people she'd met that the Attuned was certain would truly never harm someone unless it was in defense, or as a last resort.

Ray sighed and turned to busy her hands, finishing up sealing the containers of dye. The task complete, she put them in a basket. Handing it to the demigod, her smile a bit sad. "I'm sorry for not being clear enough. And if I hear of anyone that matches that description and is willing to help, I'll let you know, ok?"
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Looking up almost hesitantly, Seren's relief was palpable as Ray explained. The thought that anyone would see her and be afraid was awful, more than she could explain.

"I... I'm glad. Thank you. It's just.. someone I met recently thought that I would kill them. Just for being a magic holder. That... it hurt. Maybe most because I couldn't deny that there are those out in the world that might."

Tugging on a strand of hair, Seren blinked at the basket as it was handed to her. They were done already? Time had flown past. She accepted the dyes, and after giving the other woman a considering glance, opened the pocket dimension. Basket, paints and her whole arm sunk into nothingness as she stored them away, and with a ripple like heat haze over rooftops Seren withdrew her arm. The portal closed, and was gone.

"Please don't tell anyone you saw me do that," she murmured. Many already knew... But it wouldn't hurt to start being careful now.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
Ray's eyes narrowed as Seren told her about the encounter, but her heart felt a pang of sympathy. "Sounds like that person has had a rough time with those devoted to the gods. I hate that for them. But I'm guessing that once they got to know you that fear was abated?" Ray certainly hoped so at least. Her heart went out to that individual, but also to Seren. The demigod had a heart of gold, and it must have been a shocking and painful thing to realize that what she was could invoke fear. It must have been devastating for Seren.

The display of power had the herbalist's eyes widening in slight awe. She'd noticed the considering look sent her way beforehand and felt a surge of happiness to realize it was a show of trust. Ray gave her friend a warm smile at the request. "I swear that I won't." The information broker might sell secrets at times, but never the secrets of friends. "Though if I may ask, what was that?"
They have not
forgotten this
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
Thin shoulders rose and fell, uncertainty written in the gesture. "I hope so. I think we are friends now... But I can't help but worry that staying close to me will bring more trouble than it does good things. Peace and quiet is, at the very least, going to be a pipe dream." Which was well and good, because Seren was terrible at remaining still for very long.

Ray's happy expression did not pass her by. The girl's expression warmed into a smile, and she offered the woman a slight wink. "A trick my mother showed me," she replied, purposefully refraining from answering completely. "Just assume that I always have a bag full of interesting things, even if there is no bag." It was a fairly succinct description; for now it was all Ray needed to know.

Straightening, she looked about the room. "Do you need help with anything before I go? I'm really grateful for your help today, though I apologize for taking up so much time." It was growing late, and her stomach was beginning to complain about the lack of supper.
Seren
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
RAY
In ancient times
"True. But that choice of whether to stay and be troubled or keep their peaceful distance, is theirs to make. As their friend, you'll just have to accept it either way. And trust that what they're choosing is what's best for them." Ray offered her advice on the matter, eyeing her friend's slumped shoulders with sympathy.  Letting your loved ones make their own choices was one of the hardest things to do, but it was necessary.

Seren's description of her ability had the herbalist chuckling. "A bag of tricks hidden away at all times? That's handy for sure." The offer of help got a raised brow, and an other chuckle. "Seren, we still have to clean the pot." She deadpanned before breaking into laughter as she grabbed the sponges. Just as she said, although the black dye had been poured and strained, there was still grime in the cauldron. The two girls had been distracted by their conversation and had forgotten about it.

As they cleaned, Ray heard a small rumble. She glanced at Seren. "Hungry? Feel free to grab some cookies before you leave. A made a batch this morning. They're chocolate."
They have not
forgotten this