changing tides
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 3 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

It felt odd to come to Torchline under new leadership. Juniper and Sunjata hadn't been close, exactly, but she'd considered him an ally, someone she could count on if she needed help. She'd gone to his wedding, watched him deal with his father, spoken to him not just as a leader but as a friend. And now he had stepped down.

But he had done so by choice, and Juniper respected that decision; she also respected Safrin's selection of Torchline's new leaders. Considering that the goddess had chosen them, Juniper had to assume that Aurelia and Maeve would side with the Old Gods in the coming war. But it never hurt to ask. Not to mention, of course, that she wished to introduce herself to the new leaders, to keep an open line of communication between the Greatwood and Torchline's rulers.

So here she was at the Halenani, an attendant leading her to one of the building's formal sitting rooms. Juniper put a smile on her face and walked inside.
Juniper

"art nouveau winged fairy" by e³°°° is licensed with CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit here

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
Maeve

Maeve and Aurelia were already inside waiting for her. A table had been brought in, three chairs surrounding it, a proper tea spread placed on top. The Nightshade stood as Juniper entered, offering her a bright smile as she stepped forward with an extended hand, heels clicking against the wooden floor. "Juniper, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Maeve Ansel and this is my partner, Aurelia Murlow." She introduced both of them, giving her hand a shake before moving to slip back into her seat, getting comfortable once more.

There was a general ease about her, suggesting that she was rather used to entertaining guests this way. "Would you like some tea? It's a lavender blend I make myself." She offered, already beginning to pour three cups, one for each of them before setting the rather delicate teapot back onto the table.
If you're a lover, you should know
The lonely moments just get lonelier
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Catalysta Away
Change author:
MP: 630
Aurelia
and my hands aren't clean
maybe they never will be
Aurelia is staring at the tea spread with her hands folded on the table counter, thumb rubbing rhythmically over the ridge of her knuckle as she awaits the arrival of Greatwood's diplomat. She glances over at Maeve with an unreadable look in her eyes as the other queen stands, and then her gaze moves to the small woman that's being guided inside.

She moves to stand shortly after, as well, offering a nod - though she does not smile or add anything to Maeve's welcome at first. Following suit, she does extend her hand to the fae in turn. This is where she will smile, at last. "Welcome," she says simply, receding her hand once it's been taken to gesture to the chair opposite of hers, "Please, have a seat."

As Maeve pours the cups of tea, Aurelia takes her own seat and picks up her cup. She pauses just to hold it as she looks across at Juniper. "I'm sure you've heard about the transfer of power here," she starts off, glancing up at Maeve, "and you must be wondering where we stand, now that Sunjata has stepped down and.. war is coming." One of her brows quirks a bit, and then she takes a sip of tea as she awaits Juniper's explanation.
but they can still carry you home
when you're ready to sleep
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Age: 57 | Height: 4'8 | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:

"Thank you," Juniper said, coming and shaking both women's hands before taking the indicated seat. She took a cup of tea, as well, with a nod and a smile. "I appreciate your hospitality."

Juniper didn't have time to drink before Aurelia spoke, however, so she lowered the tea and focused on the matter at hand. Clearly, Aurelia intended to get straight to the point, and Juniper didn't mind that in the least. "Yes. As little as we may wish for it ..." A slightly strained pause, as Juniper pushed away her own feelings on the matter. "War is coming. I've come to ask how Torchline will respond."

She could have been more subtle, talked about battle lines and alliances, but if they were going to dive right into the subject, she might as well be direct. But not too forward: she did not ask them to stand with the Greatwood, not yet. First, she wanted information.
Juniper

"art nouveau winged fairy" by e³°°° is licensed with CC BY-SA 2.0. To view a copy of this license, visit here

Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 26 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve

Ah, right to it. Aurelia surges ahead and Maeve tries not to wince. No pleasantries today it seems. Maeve takes a sip of her tea, trying to calm her nerves and push away the unease in her belly. Gently her cup is placed on the table, clattering quietly against the plate before she's placing her hand in her lap, the other finding Aurelia's leg. She gives it a soft squeeze, an attempt at reassurance, thumb rubbing against the top of her knee in a motion that seems natural.

"Our concern first and foremost are our people. We will do what we can to keep them safe. In whatever form that takes." Maeve answers first, nodding as she finishes speaking, daring a glance over at Aurelia to try and gauge her response. Of course, they've talked about what they plan to do for Torchline and in regards to the war, but they weren't going to be revealing that to anyone for as long as they can manage.
Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Age: 29 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Aurelia
maybe they never will be
There's a slight crinkle at the edges of Aurelia's eyes, not the kind brought on by a smile, as she watches Juniper wrestle with her emotions. On matters of war. And they all know that war is no place for emotions. Or, at least, they should know this by now. Aurelia is beyond ready to move past pleasantries and the general shock factor of the war.

It's time to start moving forward. To prepare.

Maeve is given a grateful, amicable nod. Aurelia could not have said it better, and for this she splays her palms in agreement, inclining her chin towards Juniper as some heavy thought flexes the muscle in her jawline.

Now that that law has been laid out for Juniper to wrap her head around the meaning of, Aurelia clicks her tongue and presses forward.

"And as it stands, we don't see how making any ties to the Greatwood now would do Torchline any good. I hope you understand but... Torchline is essentially the melting pot of Caido. We have resources, people... Safrin's guidance. The Greatwood, from all that I have heard, has only struggled to exist from the very moment it was uncovered." Of course, she is not trying to make an enemy of them stating this, and nothing in her tone would indicate hostility, but facts cannot be ignored. Sure, Remi is there now, but... was that it? Was that their only appeal? It is still one of the most vulnerable, weakest regions in Caido.

"The real question is what is the Greatwood wanting from Torchline - and what do you have to offer in turn?" She is open to this, as she leans in on her elbows and attends to what Juniper has to say.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

Juniper nodded in response to Maeve's words. "I understand. A leader's first concern should always be for their people."

And then Aurelia spoke. Juniper's eyebrows rose, then drew together, as Aurelia described the Greatwood as "struggling to exist." Perhaps Torchline's new queen didn't realize what an insult she'd offered to the Fae's ancient civilization. Most likely, she didn't care. But Juniper forced herself not to snap back, but to make a measured, ostensibly mild response. "The Greatwood did not suddenly come into being when outsiders 'uncovered' it. We stood strong for centuries untold before the Ascended appeared to attack us. Do you imagine yourselves the only region in Caido receiving the gods' favor? The only place with warriors and resources?" These questions came in an indifferent, curious tone, not as accusations.

"If Safrin guides you, then we are nominally on the same side of the coming conflict. I didn't come here to ask for handouts. I came to discuss how we can present a united front to our mutual enemies."

Juniper left unsaid the rest of her thought: that if Aurelia was so disinterested in an alliance, she could always walk away.
Juniper

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
maybe they never will be
Aurelia is aware of the dance of politics and she has no intention of doing the tango with a woman she's never even met before, over a region she is not certain she needs the help of. These matters are heavy, and complex, and she only bristles at the idea of being pinned down so early on.

She scarcely feels as if she's had any time to breathe at all, but she respectfully gives Juniper the attention needed for everything the Diplomat has to say. While she listens, her knee brushes up against the side of Maeve's leg, leaning into the supportive presence and words of her fellow queen.

"As of now, Safrin has only advised us to concern ourselves with Torchline's needs," Aurelia states reiteratively, feeling an offense of her own at being pushed but keeping a level head, "and as of now, Torchline is not in need of an alliance... Is there something going on in the Greatwood? Are you having problems with the Ascended right now?" She presses her brows together, wondering if perhaps there is something afoot, something she has not caught wind of, that the Greatwood is in need of aid for.

posted out of order with Artio's go-ahead.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve remains quiet, taking a small sip of her tea before setting her cip back down, but she feels the brush of Aurelia's kneed against her leg. Her expression doesn't shift even as her hand slips over to her counterpart's knee, giving it a light squeeze in reassurance, lifting her chin as the Fireheart begins to speak.

"If there are concerns about the Ascended breaching the Greatwood, then we would have something to discuss, but currently we are going to continue following the guidelines that Safrin has laid out for us until such a time arises." She finally says, offering Juniper a small smile, no hostility in her words. Instead, she's calm and collected, chin lifted and shoulders squared as she waits for Juniper's response in turn. "I am fairly close to Remi. If there is an issue than he has ways to contact me."
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

Juniper frowned slightly, more confused than displeased by Aurelia's and Maeve's responses. She had encountered those who were unimpressed with the Greatwood's prowess before; as Warden of Halo, Morgan had outright stated that she didn't believe the Fae had anything to offer. But Juniper hadn't even asked the Torcher queens for anything yet. They seemed to be pushing her away as if they had decided to go it alone -- as isolationist as the Fae had once been. If Torchline were truly the melting pot of Caido, then it of all places ought to have known it could not stand in isolation.

"We are not under attack at the moment," Juniper said, her voice even despite the slight furrowing of her brow. "But we know this state of affairs will not last. I was in Meadowreach last season; I heard the prophecy of war to come. We have eight seasons to prepare. I may not be a tactician, but I would think it best to plan ahead how we can help each other in that conflict, rather than wait for our enemies to pick us off one by one."

Juniper sat back a bit, picking up her tea. "If you believe that it is Safrin's will for Torchline to focus its attention inward at the moment, rather than reaching out to its would-be allies, then I will not argue with you."
Juniper

Aurelia Murlow
the Fireheart

Change author:
Aurelia
maybe they never will be
Aurelia turns her head to regard Maeve as the Nightshade speaks, adding on her piece to solidify Aurelia's own words. Whatever Juniper thinks, it doesn't matter; what matters, now, is Torchline.

"We were all there. We have eight seasons to prepare.. and for what exactly, we still don't know," she states, "unless the Greatwood intends to start the war on its own? Unless you know something that we don't?" Her question is rhetorical, assuming that Juniper doesn't have anymore intel on what the oracle had said than anyone else who had been there. And she does not think the Fae would be starting a war anytime soon.

She sighs and leans back in her seat. There is nothing more she can do for Juniper. She won't appeal to what the Fae wants simply because both of their regions follow the Old Gods. Even if they both follow Safrin, that is not enough for Aurelia. It is plain to see that the Greatwood and Torchline's priorities are on different ends of the spectrum, at least from what she can tell. The Greatwood seeking alliances makes sense, of course; it's a small region, but at least it is better protected now than it ever had been.

What did they need Torchline for? Other than war.

And that would not be for some time, unless they decided to start it sooner. But that would be their own undoing, not the Queens'. The Fireheart and the Nightshade would play no hand in those games.

"Without more pressing matters at hand, and with time for us each to prepare independently, I see no benefit in promising Torchline to Greatwood now - for something that will happen in two years." If this doesn't make sense, Aurelia doesn't know how else to put it. She glances at Maeve, her own brows furrowing. "When the right time comes, we can further this discussion," she nods decisively at the Nightshade, before directing her stare back at Juniper, "and our doors are open to you, should that time come sooner than anticipated. But while we understand your concern, we will not make any promises this early on."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve

Maeve remains mostly silent as Aurelia speaks, laying out their boundaries clearly, nodding at the Fireheart's words before she looks forward once more. Her chin lifts and she offers a small smile to Juniper, "Safrin wants us to take care of Torchline. That's what she has currently tasked us with. We have a region that needs to be healed and prepared. Before we can make promises to anyone else, we need to keep the promises made to our people." She said evenly, glancing over to Aurelia, making sure that they were on the same page with this one.

She had nothing against making alliances. With the Greatwood or any other follower of the Old Gods. As it stood right now, there was no need to sign themselves into any binding agreements just yet.
Juniper Dubois
the Amberwing
Diplomat

Change author:

Juniper frowned, more puzzled than displeased by the Queens' reactions.

Well, first of all: "The Greatwood has no intention of sparking the flames of war," she said calmly. She knew Aurelia's question had been mostly rhetorical, but she still didn't intend to leave it unanswered. "As far as I know, we have eight seasons to prepare."

It could have been worse, Juniper decided. As long as Aurelia and Maeve left open the possibility of working with the Greatwood in the future, Juniper could hope that their refusal to commit to an alliance now wouldn't change anything in the long run. In fact, if delaying truly helped Torchline heal, as the Queens seemed to think it would, then Juniper could only approve. Still, it struck her as strange.

Regardless, she had questioned them enough. "I understand, and I will return when the moment seems more appropriate. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you seek anything from the Greatwood, be it war-related or not. And thank you for your time and hospitality."

Juniper rose and took her leave. They might have refused her proposal, but the two women had given her a lot to think about. Perhaps Remi would have more insight into Maeve's state of mind ...

- FIN
Juniper