even beasts have manners
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 3 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 13 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Arialla would have smiled, and sent that sensation of a smile through the Attuned bond, even if she couldn't express it physically. Maybe I'll go back and play with the encantados again someday.

That was a bittersweet thought too, though, and Arialla was glad for Ray's change of subject, the attempt to distract her. She'd rather think about shifts and snakes than her move to Stormbreak. A bush viper? That must be very different from a panther or human -- not having any legs. I was just swimming on a hot day and thinking about how nice it would be to have flippers instead of legs, so I could swim faster ... and then I did!

Arialla
Freedom. Flight. Grace. Keen-sight.

"Golden Eagle - Mongolia" by carfull...from Wyoming is licensed with CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.
Ray Lunarium
Herbalist / Information Broker / Torchline Councilwoman

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 18 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
Ray
Have you ever heard a shadow?
A whisper at night?

Ray sent a chuckle through the bond. That's awesome. You must have been surprised. But what a way to find out. And being a bush viper is so different. Climbing trees is even more fun now. I can go far higher then I would be able to to in panther form. But both forms loves sunbathing.

A slightly mischievous feeling was sent over. I'm also a tiny weapon now. Bush vipers are incredibly venomous. So if you ever want a tiny bodyguard to hang out on your shoulder, hit me up. The thought was sent with another mental chuckle. In all seriousness though, it really is different. I love it. There was something soothing about the twisting of scales on tree branches, soothing in the way leaves crunched under claws. Perhaps that was simply her animalistic instincts kicking in.
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?
Arialla Calimeris

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

Surprised and thrilled, Arialla said, her mental smile creeping into her telepathic voice. We always considered dolphins good luck, at home -- my father's a fisherman, and he particularly liked them. So becoming one ... It was a lot of fun.

And it still was a lot of fun; if Arialla took any joy these days, it was in her shifts, in the freedom they afforded her, the eagle's flight and the dolphin's swimming. She felt more comfortable in their bodies than in her own skin, really. A great gift that Safrin had given her.

I didn't know snakes could climb trees at all, Arialla added. She didn't say that she might need a tiny, venomous bodyguard someday, that such protection would have come in handy on one night in particular -- she didn't want to bring down the mood with her dark thoughts. I wonder if you could partially shift that venom, if you had to bite someone. Oops, that was pretty dark, too.

Arialla

"Golden Eagle - Mongolia" by carfull...from Wyoming is licensed with CC BY-NC-ND 2.0.
Ray Lunarium

Age: 27 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Ray
A whisper at night?

Ray let out a small rumbling noise, happy for her companion. That's awesome! I hope to one day have an aquatic shift so that I can explore the ocean. A flighted shift would also be great. Her tone was a bit wistful. The panther Attuned would love to explore more of Caido, and new shifts would make it easier for sure.

The mention of arboreal snakes had Ray flicking an ear. Some can. Some species of snakes actually spend most of their time in trees. Bush vipers are one of those kinds. She explained briefly. And since they're so small, they can go incredibly high up, onto even the smallest branches. I love it. The Attuned had been spending a decent amount of time playing in trees in her new form to test the waters.

Arialla's inquiry about venom had a chuckle going through the bond. I've been wondering that myself. A hidden weapon to have in human form. I haven't started experimenting with it yet but I imagine I'd have to partially shift full fangs to get that affect. Not as inconspicuous but sill useful. Ray was even going to see about extracting her own venom to sell and trade.
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?
Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Delete
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla nodded. Having shifts with different means of motion has really helped me explore Caido. And in truth, she sometimes felt safer in the wilderness than around other people these days. Oh, she loved her shifts on so many levels, even if they hadn't saved her.

That must be fun, she added -- a bit perfunctorily, because personally, she didn't really see the appeal of climbing trees, as a snake or as a panther, or even as a human. It had never been a habit at home -- her youthful occupations had been swimming and running, not climbing. And, of course, getting up into the top branches of a tree didn't mean much compared to an eagle's soaring.

You might want to check it out. Arialla realized her tone was turning dark as she contemplated the idea of partially shifting fangs, but she couldn't help it. Maybe it was the word "fangs" itself that did it. Might save your life one day.

Arialla

Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A whisper at night?

There was a hint of amused jealousy in the bond. I bet. I can't wait till I get a few more shifts so I can explore more.

The sudden shift in tone and the accompanying advice made her pause. Ray rolled over till she was standing once more. Giving a languid stretch, she nodded. You're right. It's a new weapon in my arsenal, I should learn how to use it effectively. Especially with the war looming over the horizon.

The Attuned had already been considering how best to practice her partial shifting anyway. She'd even begun to plan methods of extracting her own venom for use. But perhaps Arialla had some other advice? Any tips on partial shifting by the way? I'm still getting the hang of it.
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Caido is a beautiful place, Arialla said, and now, some two years after arriving, she could say it with only a tinge of homesickness. She'd come to accept that she would spend the rest of her life here, and that she had to make the best of it, but she still didn't always like it.

War is coming, Arialla agreed. She hesitated, tempted to ask which side Ray would be on, but it was obvious, wasn't it? One of the Old Gods had Attuned her; presumably she would be loyal to that god. We should all be prepared.

Hmm ... It comes naturally to me. When I'm angry, or threatened, the eagle's claws come out. Arialla considered the matter. That's the main partial shift I use -- the eagle's claws, eyes, or hearing. I don't know that there's much point in partially shifting into a dolphin on land.

Arialla

Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A whisper at night?

Ray gave a nod in agreement. No matter how chaotic, no matter how destined for war, Caido was beautiful. There was denying that. And given the resilience of the inhabitants, she had no doubt that it would be beautiful once the war passes as well. In a different manner most likely, but beautiful nonetheless.

The panther listened intently, absorbing Arialla's advice. That makes sense. I've noticed that my partial shifts have come out generally when I needed them. Whether I was actively trying to call them out or not. Such as when trying to see better at night, my eyes have shifted.

A tinge of amusement passed through the bond. No, I can't see how a dolphin shift would be all that useful on land. But who knows? Maybe you'll find a use. There was a pause. Can echolocation be used on land?
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Arialla nodded, one of the few human gestures she could make as an eagle. My partial shifts come to me when I need them ... though not always quickly enough.

Again there was a story behind her words -- the one story, the one that felt like it now defined her life and that she did not wish to share today -- but she said nothing of it. But the eagle's claws came to her so easily now, when she was angry, or afraid. Or both -- they tended to coincide these days.

I've never tried, she said, after a moment taken to remember what echolocation was -- she knew the concept, having used it in her dolphin shift, but the word wasn't very familiar. It seems like I would have to shift a lot of my head and ears ...

Arialla

Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A whisper at night?

The panther rumbled as Ray sent cynical understanding through the bond. That does seem to be the case with most things. Timing is a luxury most days. The herbalist heard the hidden stories and struggles behind Arialla's words but made the choice not to pry. They all had their demons these days.  

As the eagle debated echolocation, Ray considered the anatomical needs to make it worthwhile. You may have a point. I'm not certain of the physical requirements of it. It might not even work on land, but it's probably worth a try at some point. That makes me wonder if my venom is as potent in a partial shift as it is in full form. I'll have to test it. Any skill was worth exploring, no matter how small. Every little edge counted in trying times after all.
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?
Arialla Calimeris

Change author:

Another nod from the eagle, and the rustling of her feathers as she shifted them. We live in uncertain times. It's important to be ready for anything.

Your serpent's body has to produce and store venom, doesn't it? Arialla commented. I wonder if it can do so immediately on shifting, or if it -- or a partial shift of it -- would need time to fill that store. I think it's worth experimenting with ... Better to find out before the situation is life-or-death.

Opening her beak wide in a yawn, Arialla spread her wings a little and waved them around a bit. Well, I appreciate the company, but I should probably get back in the air. It's a long flight back to Stormbreak.

Arialla

Ray Lunarium

Change author:
Ray
A whisper at night?

Ray nodded, making note of Arialla's advice. You're right I'll spend some time learning the ins and outs of it.  Partial shifting fangs and venom have the potential to be an excellent hidden weapon. One that couldn't be taken from her. Bush viper venom also didn't react to antivenom treatments nearly well enough to guarantee survival. It was truly potent.

As the eagle shook out her feathers, the panther shook out her fur. Nodding in agreement, Ray turned towards the direction of Torchline. Her ear twitched in goodbye, a surge of friendly warmth going towards the bird. Thank you again for sharing your kill with me, and for the advice. I'll see you around. Take care of yourself, ok? With that, the panther disappeared into the trees, becoming nothing but another shadow.

-{FIN}
The soft sound of paws,
In the dead of night?