[SE] What friends do
Maeve <3
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 16 - Int:
UMBRA - Mythical - Dragon (fire breath)
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
SEREN
For every tyrant, a tear for the vulnerable
In every lost soul, the bones of a miracle
It was very tempting to launch into a query on what exactly she was supposed to be doing, if not this. But Seren let Maeve pull her up and out of the room, stewing under confessions of devotion and promises to deal with politics. A relief and irritating at the same time. That niggling sensation of seeing something that should be done, knowing how to do it, yet being told that it was not for you to handle - ah, it was frustrating.

Snatching up her shoes and coat and stuffing them away where they would not be forgotten - Isle of Stars, holder of everything Seren could not be bothered to keep in her hands more than two minutes - the girl stalked after her friend, up through stairwells and corridors and across the overhang into the apartments beyond. She did raise her brows in disbelief at the statement, and gave Maeve a sidelong glance.
"You call this sparse? Maeve, I have one room in the Nest, and if it weren't for dad playing at nepotism, I'd be sharing it with three other recruits." Her island aside, this was possibly more room than she'd ever had to herself - the house by Aumakua where she grew up included. That had been half official government offices, built onto a humble cottage full of family. No one could accuse the starchild of being raised in the lap of luxury as far as surroundings were concerned. Maeve no doubt knew more about silk, lace and opulent luxury than Seren did.

Making herself at home in the way that she always did, Seren sauntered into the living room and deposited herself into a chair, sprawling like it had always meant to hold her.
"I went to Halo to see a friend," she told Maeve, in reference to her doings since they'd met last. At the Party, which seemed like a long time ago even though it was only a week or two. "His name is Sah, he's a hunter. Not that hunter," she cut in quickly, knowing full well what conclusions her friend might jump to. "I'd promised him a chance to spar. And I wanted to try going into the wild without using magic as a crutch... We managed to rope dad into coming along, but the whole thing was a disaster. We ran into an Ursur almost the first thing we did, and things just went downhill from there. Dad had enough and brought us back to the Citadel the same day." Her grimace spoke volumes on disappointment and peeve.

"Then before anyone knew it, the Warden suddenly resigned and left. Apparently Hotaru and Noah did some kind of takeover on behalf of the Old Gods... I thought I should stay until things had calmed down a bit." The temptation to just tell Maeve all about her own role in the coup was strong, but Seren bit it back. The less people knew, the better it was.
In every dreamer a dream - we're unstoppable
with something to believe in
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 35 - Dext: 37 - Endr: 43 - Luck: 37 - Int: 1
AIDON - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Artio Offline
Change author:
MP: 877
My dear, we're slow dancing in a burning room
"I meant decor wise.." Maeve felt her cheeks flush, pursing her lips as she headed into the kitchen, grabbing a glass for Seren to pour her some of the port from the decanter. While she might be living a luxurious life now, it wasn't something the Madame always had when growing up with a father who didn't want her, more willing to toss her outside for crying than deal with his own child. "I lost a lot of things in the storm... Stuff I'd been collecting since I was sixteen and this is the biggest home I've ever had." Her shoulders lift in a small shrug, trying to play it off, bottom lip catching between her teeth. Sensing her sudden discomfort, Aidon came from where he'd been snoozing in the bedroom, trotting into the kitchen to press against her side as she put on a kettle.

It's good that Seren provided the clarification because that is exactly where her mind went. The name isn't one she recognized and it had her arching a brow, glancing over at Seren where she was flopped into the large armchair. "Is that right?" She asked, drifting towards her to pass off the glass of port before heading back into the kitchen to wait for her water to boil. "Definitely sounds like a bit of a mess. Are you planning on going back out?" Maeve turned to the stove again, removing the water from the stove as it started to whistle, setting up her tea tray and bringing it over to the small coffee table that was nestled between the fireplace and the couch, a fire currently crackling happily in the hearth.

"It seems the Old Gods are starting to get their pieces in order... I understand why you would want to stay for that." She said softly, pouring herself some tea, adding a splash of cream and sugar before stirring it in. Maeve settled on the couch, curling in the corner with Aidon resting at her feet.
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Age: 25 | Height: 5'7 in (170cm) | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
SEREN
Humming a quiet acknowledgement of Maeve's losses, Seren refrained from commenting on it when the subject seemed to make her friend uncomfortable. She herself had everything with her all the time, and it would take something fairly major to purge her Island of all the accumulated debris. Only a fraction of it was of any worth... perhaps she should spend some time one of these days with cleaning and sorting. It did take away some of the cluttered charm of the space though.

"Mhm, eventually," she nodded. "Though probably to some other location, next time. Greatwood maybe... there aren't any Ursur there, and not as cold." Less dangerous, was the bottom line, even if it rankled to admit.

Getting up to fetch herself some of that tea, Seren nodded and frowned into the swirling drink as the added milk clouded the dark water. "Maeve, about that... I'm... I've discovered something, about Stormbreak. Something I have to speak to Mother about. It might... not be a very fun conversation."

She had never addressed the subject with anyone before. It had remained like a dark cloud at the back of her mind, suppressed and ignored... until she could stand it no longer. Hotaru's pregnancy, and now Maeve's both pricked her with thorns of guilt, until she found herself cornered between fear and resolve - with only one path left to walk.

As Seren turned around to face her friend, her face was very pale, and something dark and dreadful shadowed her summer-blue eyes. Dark as fear and pain. Dark as love, and dark determination to do the right thing despite of that love.
Starlight (Passive) | Starfilled night billow around her like a veil as she moves. It is more noticeable in daytime and when she make sudden movements.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Maeve hummed softly, drawing a blanket from the back of the couch and laying it over her lap before taking up her tea once more. She sipped slowly, letting the warmth of it settle in her belly, "Well, depending how things are going here and if I've had the baby yet I could perhaps come along if you would like." It was an easy offer to make, but one she wasn't sure that Seren would take. Truthfully she didn't know if it would be the best for her to leave Torchline at all even if it was for only a couple of days. Not so early on, at least.

The words spoken by the starchild instantly have Maeve worrying, brows knitting together in concern as she looked across at her friend, eyes scanning her closely. It was uncommon to see her so clearly troubled, to notice a darkness in her eyes that Maeve wasn't used to seeing, causing her lips to tug down into a thrown. "What is it, Seren?" What could be so bad that Seren would be worried to speak to her own mother? Surely it wasn't about the Voice. Not if it had to do with Stormbreak. Was it something the Order was doing?

Unease twisted in her belly and she waited anxiously for the starchild to tell her just what was bothering her. Maeve took another sip of her tea to attempt to settle her nerves.
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
SEREN
Cradling the cup between her hands, as if the warmth from the tea might bring some life back into her numbing fingers, Seren crouched on the armrest of her chair. Too restless to settle in properly, agitated enough about the subject about to be breeched that she wanted to feel the floor beneath her bare feet.

"It's... Don't visit Stormbreak while you are pregnant, okay?" Speaking in a hushed tone, the young demigod looked deeply uncomfortable. "I found out that... they have means to determine whether a child is Abandoned even before it is born. And if it is... they have a practice of permitting it to be born within the city. So that it won't survive. And then it's... discarded. Just thrown out of the city like... They don't even bury them."

It was nauseating. The topic, the scent of the tea - so cloying, suddenly - and even this cozy apartment... Not for the first time Seren swallowed against a horrible ringing in her ears, like fury and panic and the approaching footsteps of doom.

"The priest I talked to said that this is the will of the Gods. I... will need to talk to mother about this. If it's true..."

Stars, what would she do if it was true?
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Dark brows drew together in confusion, a frown beginning to tug on the corners of her lips and Aidon rose from his place on the floor, climbing onto the couch to lay his head in her lap. Her free hand came to rest on the top of his head, rubbing between the two antenna like feelers that sprouted there, jaw feathering at Seren's words. "What would happen..? If I went to Stormbreak right now?" Would they detain her if her baby was found to be Abandoned? Would they keep her there until they were born only to discard them the way Seren is saying now?

Her face went ghostly pale, fingers trembling as she set her tea down, pressing a hand over the well of her belly. Aidon warbled softly, sending his reassurance along the bond as Maeve grew still beyond that, jade eyes wide as she looked up at Seren. "But they're just babies. They didn't make a choice! They were born that way." Suddenly the fear was so much worse. What would happen to her child if it was born Abandoned? Would Safrin cast her child out? Turn her away too?

"What are you going to do?"
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
SEREN
The mounting fear and agitation in Maeve was echoed within the demigod, and Seren had no comfort to offer. Only her own unease, coupled with a million possible paths she might take to further explore and examine this problem. Most of them led to a conflict with her mother, if Gideon's claims were true and the gods really did condone this appalling practice. Seren did not want to believe it, but the doubt was there. Niggling, chafing.

"I don't know," she replied quietly, to both questions. She didn't know whether Maeve would be detained - but thought it unlikely - and she didn't know what to do. "I think... I need to find out more. Ask others. There are more demigods in Stormbreak. Amalia... I hear Frey's demigods have made appearances too. If any would be against that kind of thing, it should be them. Maybe I can find some support... I can't change Stormbreak, but maybe I can change this one thing. To keep the children alive."

Maybe. Only, then they would need somewhere to go. Someone to look after them, and keep them safe. Seren wasn't sure she was the right person to do that. But if it was the only option...

"I'm worried that my mother really wants this to be," she all but whispered, lips pale and face drawn with pain. The mere thought... Safrin had always been so warm, kind, generous and accepting towards her. That she might allow this simply because these infants had no interest to her - it made everything within Seren revolt. "I have to ask her... but I'm so scared of what the answer will be."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve drew in a sharp breath, trying to slow her racing heart, feeling the way it pounded sporadically against her ribs. How did she even begin to digest this? What could they even do? The Nightshade pressed her lips into a thin line, fingers still rubbing gently at the top of his head, running back and forth over the ridges there as if that would do something to truly calm her. It doesn't really, but her heart stopped racing enough to allow her to properly breathe.

"Phoebe, she used to run the Halenani, she's Frey's demigod. If anyone would side with you on this, it's her. I know she would. She's a midwife." Her whole job was to take care of mothers and their babies. Surely she would be just as outraged to hear that this was happening to innocent children. "If there is anything I can do to help please let me know." Maeve finally finished with, leaning over to take her hand, giving it a gentle squeeze before settling back against the cushions.

It was a tough place for Seren to be. The fact that her mother might actually want this and that her mother would tell her to leave it be. Maeve couldn't imagine how hard it must be. "But you need to know and maybe she'll listen to what you have to say. You might be able to do something for this. For them."
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
SEREN
A name offered. Right, Phoebe. Seren kept forgetting her name, even though the woman was tied to many of her friends and relations. Dismissed to the periphery, no doubt underservedly... It helped to have a name. "I'll see if I can find her," Seren murmured softly. If nothing else, Harper would know.

Maeve's unquestioning support was a great comfort, too. Seren breathed easier, now that the weight of this was shared with another. Her friend might not be able to do much, but simply having someone else to talk to about this steadied her, enough that she finally managed to raise the cup of tea to her lips and take a sip. It was good. Not too flowery or fragrant, just flavorful and with a bitter undertone that not even the milk could entirely banish. It curled her tongue, and Seren enjoyed the sensation. Perhaps her mother would listen. Perhaps, even if this was really all the will of the gods and she was merely chasing mirages, it might not be impossible to find a solution that could satisfy all parties.

Safrin was good at creating miracles, after all. What was another one?

"Thank you," she all but whispered to her friend. "That means... everything. When I know what I will do... Thank you, Maeve."  

Like a festival balloon deflating, Seren sank over the armrest and balled up in the depth of the chair. Tea and comfort and the relief that came with supporting friends - she wanted to laugh and weep and simply sleep for a whole week.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve stood, setting her tea down to approach Seren instead, settling on the edge of the chair with her friend to gather her into a gentle embrace. She pressed a kiss to her temple, rubbing at her arm lightly, "We made a promise, didn't we? I'm here for you however I can be and you're here for me." The Nightshade murmured against her temple, keeping her close until the starchild's breathing seemed to slow and she relaxed in her arms.

"I actually have something for you. Stay here, okay?" Maeve drew back, giving her a soft smile before standing, disappearing down the hall to her bedroom. There is the faint sound of rummaging before Maeve reappeared, a somewhat large parcel in her hands, wrapped in silver paper and tied off with a golden thread. She was practically beaming as she held out the package for her friend, eyes bright with excitement. "Go on then!"

Inside the package Seren will find a set of proper pajamas. Made of pale silk, the hems lined with dove gray lace, and small silver stars embroidered across the fabric. A matching robe is nestled inside, done in the exact same way. Alongside it is multiple tins of tea, a small jar of honey from her own hives, and a ceramic mug with the word 'Auntie' carved into the side of it with delicate script.
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
SEREN
"We did," Seren murmured, leaning into Maeve as the woman came over. She felt bad for accepting the comfort when this was Maeve's day for being cared about and fussed over... but it was much needed and despite herself the young woman relaxed into the warm embrace.

When the world didn't seem quite as dark and terrible anymore, Maeve got up and popped into another room. Seren straightened up, bemused at the mention of gifts, and the Madame was given a long look when the big package was dumped into her knee.
"Maeve, you shouldn't have," she protested, even as the paper was removed - carefully, with patient fingers that did not rip at either paper or string. The contents made her eyes go wide with surprise; for long moments of quiet, the starchild picked through the items. Running careful fingers over the silk fabric of the garments, poking her nose into each container of tea and very reluctantly refraining from prying open the honey jar - it would have been empty by the end of the night if she allowed herself - but it was the mug that brought tears into her eyes.

"Maeve," she said again, not entirely steady. "You... it's - thank you."

It hadn't even occurred to her. But Locke's and her little game of family sort of did make her an aunt, didn't it? Not to mention her friendship with Maeve. She gazed at the woman again, and it was as though Seren saw her for the first time. Not a random person, somewhat flirtatious and good at encouragement... but her friend. Family, the kind you chose.

Ah, she wanted to weep all over again, and clutched the mug gently into her chest.
"Pyjama party, then?" She laughed, despite everything.
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
"Maybe I shouldn't have, but I wanted to." Maeve replied easily, beaming brightly up at Seren as the starchild sorted through her gifts, paying each one of them a special kind of attention. It was the mug that did her in, though. The Nightshade laughed softly, shaking her head, "It's only fitting." Maeve reached out to cup her cheek, swiping her thumb across her skin in a sweet gesture before she was pulling back, a bright excitement in her eyes. "A proper pajama party. I told you we were going to have a sleepover, didn't I? Complete with boy talk, sweets, fancy pajamas, and ghost stories."

She gave a little wiggle of her eyebrows before tugging her onto her feet and ushering her towards the bathroom, "Go change! I want to see them on you!" Maeve laughed, already knowing that they were going to be very cute on her. The loose tank top and shorts would allow for plenty of movement and the robe would keep her covered if she so wished.

While Seren was changing, Maeve met one of the servers at the door, taking a large tray of various sweet treats. It was piled high with fruits, chocolate, tiny lemon tarts with stars dusted on top made of powdered sugar, little cakes, cookies, and all sorts of other goodies. Another tray arrived shortly after piled high with various tea sandwiches, cheeses, meats, and crackers for them to pick at too. She set these onto the coffee table, arranging them around the tea before tossing a few spare pillows on the floor so they might sit down there instead.
Maeve
Seren Taliesin

Change author:
SEREN
Grumbling and too moved to even offer convincing arguments, Seren gathered up her new pajamas and teas and mug and slipped into her pocket space to change. When she returned, it was barefoot and with her hair let down to hang in a loose, cury tangle about the shoulders. Long-legged and lanky, she proved to have quite the toned physique, even though there was more runner and dancer over her muscle than explosive strength. A couple of fading bruises could be seen on her knees and shins - and one bluish one stood out even through the sheer fabric of the top, squarely at the center of her solar plexus - but beyond that the girl was remarkably free of the usual scrapes and scars that twenty some years of life should have delivered. A mark of her unusual growth, no doubt - and life in Caido would surely be making up for that soon enough.

"I feel strange," she murmured, tucking the robe more closely around herself. "Does silk always feel so... slippery?" She slumped down on the pile of cushions, looked around at the opulence Maeve had conjured up, and added just one more touch to it herself. From nowhere, a litter of kittens complete with a disgruntled looking mama cat coalesced, and the soft starlight that emanated from them both illuminated the room and provided adorable distractions for hands and eyes.

"Do we have to do ghost stories? I'm not sure I know any."
Maeve Ansel
the Nightshade
Madame

Change author:
Maeve gasped in delight, clapping as she bounced on the balls of her feet, "Oh my gods! Seren! You look so nice!" Glamorous and grown. She didn't look like a gangly girl to her right now. No, she was long, lean, and toned from her training. Maeve took a seat at the table, nodding at her question, "It does. That's what's meant to make it feel luxurious." She laughed, plucking a strawberry from the tray and taking a bite of the lush fruit, humming at the sweet juice that ran over her tongue.

Just to make it better, Seren conjured kittens to play amongst the delights that Maeve had brought up and she cooed, picking up a fluffy starry kitten to cuddle close. It's warm and purrs in her hands. She looks up at Seren with a grin, "It's a must! You can't have a slumber party without ghost stories. We can just make them up."
Maeve