(SE) this is what i really call a party now
Samuel <33
Varus Callahan
Assassin / Hollowed Grounds Captain

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
you can't see, we've been falling from the 5th story, hope we don't hit the surface
The question is one that has Varus beaming a smile Sam’s way. “I like to read, actually.” It sounds at odds for the work he does, but Varus has always been a bit of a bookworm – content to lounge around all day and read book after book if he had nothing else to do. A bit of a nerd, a bit of a weapon, a good mix if you asked him.

When Sam peeks around for any more gourds, Varus’ gaze follows to scan the area for anything else aside from the gourds, and when nothing seems to be amiss, his oceanic gaze lands back on Sam with the conversation shifting to Wessex and what Varus himself does for the Voice. “We’ve been working on getting our skillsets to align with others, to partner with others in the family that we can compliment so we have our best chance.” He offers Sam, wondering if it helps ease some of his worries at all. “I’m definitely going to fight in the war. If people die, well, then they die.” He shrugs.

War was war. Death was inevitable with the way things are going.
VARUS
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
Sam
Did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?

"You do?!" Sam had not expected to find he had anything in common with Varus, much less something so peaceful and tame as reading. A smile bloomed on his face as he learnt of their shared interest and he grew a little more animated. "You really have to come to my shop sometime then. Wordsworth Books, in the Grounds. I have all sorts - what kind of thing do you like to read? I could try and stock something especially for when you come."

It did comfort Sam to hear that plans were being made and acted out outside of his view. Maybe they did have some kind of chance against the Old Gods; he'd once thought that impossible, but between the Voice's confidence and the appearance of so many new Ascended such as Varus...he allowed himself a shred of hope that they might come out alright after all. "What do you mean about the skillsets? Should I be learning something in particular?"
Varus Callahan

Age: 347 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
you can't see, we've been falling from the 5th story, hope we don't hit the surface
The surprise and ease of which Varus’ chosen hobby seems to soothe Sam does bring an easier smile to Varus’ own face. “Oh you’re the Wordsworth!” He rumbles with a chuckle, hand reaching up to tap at his head as if the lightbulb had just gone off. “I’d love to come and visit. Personally, I’m more of a romance and mystery kind of guy.” He casually eyes Sam, wondering if the conversation of murder and war might seem at odds for what he prefers to read in his own time.

Either way, though, the plans were being made and Varus keeps that easy smile on his face. “Not yet, no. We’re hoping to group up the Ascended that have upgrades and abilities that compliment each other so we have the best advantage.” He informs the other, taking a step forward to stand beside Sam and gesture out over the ground they’d passed by. “For example, let’s say a few people have invisibility, they can pair up to be a strike team. Or… Another group, one has… I dunno, an electric charge or something and another has water jets, those would go together… Things like that.” His hands gesture out in front of him as if he can pretend mock up a battle for Sam’s eyes to follow.

So I invited you because aside from kicking some pumpkin’s asses, I was wondering if you’d be interested in pairing up with someone, and if so, what kinda abilities you have so I can get you to start practicing with those that might work best with you.” Survival of the fittest, using every piece for their own advantage.
VARUS
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sam

"Oh-um-yes, I am!" Usually when people recognised his name or face, it wasn't for anything good, so Sam was almost thrown off by Varus' smile. Before long he smiled himself though, noting a pattern in the brave, tough men he'd had in his store: they all liked romance. "Well, I'll have some ready for whenever you come to visit."

Listening to Varus speak of plans and ideas was calming, in a way; felt like someone else was taking control of the difficult stuff, the things Sam had no idea how to organise. The intricacies of war and training that were beyond him. A mention of invisibility made him perk up, Sam lifting up a hand (the one without the glove) and having it fade away from the finger tips until the trees could be seen through his palm.

Who might he pair up with? He really had no idea. "Um, well, obviously I have invisibility, then I have a shield. And this glove..." Raising his left hand, the leather prosthetic glove strapped in place. "It's enchanted with a little telekinesis magic. I can't take it off, because um, I don't have fingers there, so...I have it on all the time."
Varus Callahan

Change author:
Sam’s smile grows which only bolsters Varus’ own smile. “You can count on me being there.” Varus assures Sam easily, before leaning toward him a bit. “Isla likes mysteries if you have any of those laying around.” Because while he picked one up for himself, you can bet your ass that he’s not going to return home without one for her too.

But talk of plans overwhelms the conversation and Varus does his best to lay out his thoughts, working with Wessex and her ideas to help give the Ascended the best chance they could have. A brow raises at the mention of Sam’s own invisibility, having not known that. But he does tack onto a bit of his memory to remind himself over that and the shield and the telekinesis glove, putting it away to evaluate later when he’s talked with the rest of the Ascended to find out what exactly they could pair with each other.

Perhaps some practice training sessions using them all could benefit them, could get them a chance to practice it before being thrust into battle. “Oh, neat.” Varus says, his eyes lingering on the glove, not minding the fact that Sam doesn’t have fingers. Varus is missing an entire arm after all. “All of this is really helpful Sam, thank you.” A brighter smile is given toward the other man, even while his mind flits about putting things together.
VARUS
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam

"Oh, I know. Isla stops by the store regularly." Sam replied; she was one of his few friends in the Grounds that had remained over so many years (forgiving the time while she was dead, of course, but that was hardly her fault). At first he'd stocked up on medical texts for her and still would if they seemed especially interesting, but he'd learnt her true tastes over time.

He wasn't used to being assessed and the result being positive. Varus' smile and apparent happiness with his abilities came as a surprise and Sam turned his hand over before himself a couple of times, as if surprised anew to see it. "Oh. You're...welcome."

With the Gourds seemingly gone for the moment, they could begin to head back. Sam spent most of the walk feeling a little better about himself than he usually did, as if he might actually be of use to his family in the upcoming years.

{FIN}