Crossing the Bar
for Gideon
Adventurer

Age: 32 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 5 - Endr: 5 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Marina Offline
Change author:
MP: 20

Sunset and evening star
And one clear call for me
And may there be no moaning of the bar
When I put out to sea

The tide was heading out and soon the sandbar of Hale Ka’aila would be free to be walked by those who found themselves bound to the land. If you listened closely, past the waves that lapped the shore, past the gulls that shrieked through the evening sunset, you could hear a song. Melodic and haunting and beautiful, the sound of a merfolk's song could often be indicative of doom. Their sound was often used to lure those to the depths of the ocean. However, today the sound was simply for the sky.

When I put out to sea
When I put out to sea
And may there be no moaning of the bar
When I put out to sea

A merman lay in only a few feet of water, his long tail lazily swishing back and forth as he sang. Collected around him were small piles of sea glass and shells, which were illuminated by small orbs of light. These orbs started in the merman's mouth, and then quickly floated up into the sky as a star. He had kept the small shining orb safely tucked in his mouth, a place that Johnny had thought no one could get it. It was, after all, his most important possession. Additionally, it was his only possession, but that wasn't what made it the most important one.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep
Too full for sound and foam
That which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home

His voice melted into the sea and sky. He was a creature of the sea, he knew this for a fact. But could he be more? In a moment when he felt so uncertain and lost, he could think of nothing else to do but to sing. The strong feelings bubbled up into the precious stone and continued to illuminate the sky with stars.

Turns again home
Turns again home
That which drew from out the boundless from the sea
Turns again home
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Still not quite confident enough in the people of Torchline to revisit Haulani, Gideon had kept his trips to the nation confined to it's beaches. Should he find people there in need of his illuminating words he would give them, but for the most part he was after only a walk. It was needed, after his days of long work talking and preaching, taking in the confessions, thoughts and feelings of his congregation and balancing the expectation of the Gods on his shoulders.

The soothing sound of the waves, the easy sight of them running back and forth up the shore; it reminded him what he fought for.

As Gideon's eyes followed the edge of the sea up the coast, the even line was broken by a figure laying on the sand. Not so unusual at first, at least not until he spotted the tail. He'd heard stories of the Merfolk in Torchline, that they were favoured by the Gods and notoriously secretive. Perhaps the latter characteristic was why he had never seen one, and why he was immediately drawn to say hello. Just like the Fae, these were a species beloved by the Gods and entirely enveloped in their natural world.

Getting even closer, he heard that the Merman was singing. A smile on his face, Gideon approached with his hands in his pockets, casually walking towards Johnny. "Lovely evening to be on the coast, isn't it? Couldn't help but hear your song. What's it about?"

Gideon
Reckon up the variables
Find a way to make it real
Make a deal
Until my protector comes

Adventurer

Age: 32 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 0 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 5 - Endr: 5 - Luck: 15 - Int:
Played by: Marina Offline
Change author:
MP: 20
Johnny did not think himself as any one man beloved by any god, and in fact had yet to speak with a god before. His family back home often spoke of the gods as their friends, but the lone merman on the shore? He felt no love from the beings the played strange roles in the lives of his fellow mortals. The whole idea seemed too confusing and he was far too busy trying to figure out his place in the world, especially while he was so close to the shore. The mouth-breathers were strange, but many of them enjoyable and willing to offer him sweets and bread (Johnny's newly discovered favorite things). Still, a lone merfolk so close to shore, he couldn't help but to be a little cautious.

So when Gideon approached, the music abruptly stopped. His first instinct was to flee — back home they had always said to flee. He wasn't sure what a human would want with a merperson, but he had heard stories of pirates finding the most beautiful of merfolk and tying them to the bow of a ship as some sort of ornament. Johnny was quiet, looking up at the man with curiosity and fear as the gears slowly turned in his mind. Friend or foe? He began to slink deeper into the water, feeling safer if he could quickly dart away.

"It's supposed to be about death," he finally said, "But I think it could also mean new beginnings." Johnny considered this again, "I think some people think that going home is death. I do not think home is death. Death is death." Death was blank, nothingness. It was at the depths of the ocean, when you couldn't see anymore.

Johnny wanted to get to the point, "Are you a friend? I will fight you if you are not. I bite. I am strong and fearless," he grinned at the man to show him his pointed teeth, "And one day I will be known."

Gideon
Gideon Clemments
The Priest

Age: 52 | Height: 6' 1" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 16 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Gideon wasn't expecting quite such a profound statement right away from the merman, and tilted his head with a blink as he heard it. "I...suppose it would depend if you consider Mort's realm to be home." Personally he imagined it as a long, deep sleep - not quite a new beginning, for there wouldn't be anything to do or anywhere to go, but a rest more satisfying than any other.

The next series of sentences made him want to laugh; the confidence of this one was stunning, especially as he was pretty sure if he just stepped a while up the beach it would be hard for Johnny to follow. As it was though, he was a friend. "I don't intend you any harm. You can put your teeth away. I'm just curious to meet one of your people." Deciding he liked this bitey man (admittedly in a rather condescending way), Gideon lowered himself down to sit on the sand, the motion stiff; age and his recent skirmishes had been getting to him.

"What do you think you're going to be known for?" He asked, leaning back on his hands.

Gideon
Reckon up the variables
Find a way to make it real
Make a deal
Until my protector comes