[split] unfamiliar coasts
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 13 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Bees Offline
Change author:
MP: 1749

"Yeah, maybe." Cam sounded a little unconvinced -- they didn't see how bringing in Outlanders who sided with the Old Gods could ultimately benefit the Voice. But they didn't intend to argue with Lilliane about it, either.

"As I understand it, they want to destroy us because the Old Gods said so. Sometimes they throw in nice words like 'unnatural' and 'abominations,' too." Sighing, Cam ran a hand through their hair. "But, you know, ask them. If you think there's an explanation that can justify that, well ... That's your decision to make. The Voice isn't perfect," they added. "She's done some fucked-up stuff in the past, and that turned a lot of people against her. I get that. But this current idea that the Ascended all need to be killed for who we are, regardless of what we have or haven't done ... " They shrugged.

Cam let out a little chuckle. "Well, I'm uncomfortable with the idea of drinking blood, honestly, so I don't blame anyone else for not liking it." At Lilliane's question, they thought for a long moment. "Well, if you're Accepted, you can actually call the gods down if you need them. And I think new people in Caido are usually accepted, so you probably have that ability too."

cameron ?

"Cameras" by Ennev is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0
Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 19 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
Lilliane's expression betrayed a bit of anger for a moment. A twitch of the eyebrow and a slight grimace, gone as fast as they appeared."Even if they're gods, 'because he said so' has never been a convincing argument. And people always fear what they don't understand. They then call it unnatural to convince themselves they're doing a good thing. If those are really the only reasons they have, I don't want anything to do with them. But until I've gotten their side of it all, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt."

At Cam's next explanation Lilliane raised an eyebrow. "I can call the gods down? That sounds like quite the big deal. I mean, when every random person coming here can call the gods down, how can they even fight a war? They're probably busy jumping from here to there because they get summoned."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Age: 30 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Cam nodded. They didn't mind at all that Lilliane wanted both sides of the story ... or at least, they didn't mind much. It did itch at them a little to give people so prejudiced "the benefit of the doubt," but then Lilliane had just arrived in Caido -- she couldn't know that Cam was telling the truth. After all, they definitely would have told her to talk to both sides before forming an opinion if she'd encountered an Old Gods follower first; Cam couldn't begrudge her the same action just because they felt certain they were right. "Yeah. I mean, I was an atheist; I'd never hurt someone just because a god told me to. If I'm forced to defend myself ... that's different."

Another nod; Cam smiled slightly at the thought of the gods zapping around Caido at every Accepted's beck and call, too busy getting cats out of trees and fording rivers to ever foment war. Maybe that would be a better world. "I mean, not everyone can call down gods. I think most people when they start out just get spirits, but they can ask the spirits for help -- I don't know much about spirits, except that one cursed me once. And I guess if you call too often the gods won't listen to you? There are different tiers of gods here, too -- you've got the, like, big important old gods, Mort and Vi and Rae, and then they each have a herald who isn't as powerful. So when people channel they usually just get spirits or the heralds if they're lucky."

As they walked, the buildings of the Sanctuary began to come into view.

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Age: 25 | Height: 168cm | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Lilliane nodded. Everyone would defend themselves. Though some people did push the lines on what defense still entailed. But to her, Cam didn't seem like such a person. "True, I think if you call them too often, they'll probably tell you they're not the service hotline or something like that." she said with a chuckle. Getting a bit more serious, she continued: "But if there's a chance to get cursed by spirits as well, I suppose it's best not to use it too often anyway."

All of this reminded her how little she knew about this world. "Can you tell me more about the gods? For example, who are the heralds? And what's known about the old gods in general. Maybe best to get an opinion from you before I go and ask their followers about them as well." she said, giving Cam a hopefully encouraging smile.

Noticing the buildings in the distance, she asked: "Is this where we're going?" It certainly seemed like people lived there.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam nodded. "Yeah, best not to call the gods unless you really need them. I mean, I got cursed just for going to a shrine when I wasn't sure what I wanted, so ... it's something to be careful with."

At Lilliane's question, Cam smiled. They'd be happy to talk about the gods, though ... they would have been happier to do so if most of those gods had not wanted them dead. That did taint somewhat the pleasure that Cam usually felt when discussing myths, legends, and history. "Well, there are the New Gods and the Old Gods. The New Gods are the Voice and the Core. I don't think anyone knows much about the Core, just that it exists somewhere, but the Voice is the goddess who created the Ascended. She's ... " Cam paused, trying to organize their thoughts on the Voice -- the gratitude they felt for their Ascension, the horror brought on by the knowledge that she had created the LongNight monsters. "She likes to invent, to innovate, to make things better -- things and people. And some of her 'innovations' haven't gone well. They've, she's hurt people. But she's also helped people like me. And she doesn't change people against their will.

"Then there are the Old Gods. Vi is the god of life, Mort is the god of death, and Rae is ... change? Nature? Something like that. Vi's herald is Safrin, the goddess of starlight, which sounds very pretty, but apparently she can be really unpleasant if you cross her. Mort's herald is Ludo ... It like games, as I understand it, which is something I can relate to; sometimes I think I'd pray to it if I weren't Ascended. And then Rae has Frey -- there's two of them, one for nature and one for sexuality.

"Basically the deal with the Old Gods is that nobody actually gets to talk to Vi, Mort, and Rae. They're more distant, off doing god stuff. Oh, and there's the creator-god Caido, who really doesn't talk to anyone. We don't even know what they're like at all. But people talk to the Voice and the heralds a lot."

Looking up at the path before them, Cam grinned. "Yep, this is Sanctuary. It's where I live, and we can probably find somewhere here for you to stay while you get your bearings. Actually, I've been thinking of leaving the family who took me in, since I don't actually need to sleep or eat anymore -- they might be willing to offer you a room, or they might know someone who will."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Listening attentively to Cam's explanations, Lilliane nodded. "I see. So the three gods are more hands off, while their heralds are hands on. Though since you're calling Caido the creator god, I guess he has created this world?" Though she had never understood how any kind of god might decide to create a world only to remove themselves from it. "I guess that's also why the world is called Caido?"

"That would be nice." Lilliane looked relieved. "I was kind of worried how to deal with everything here, so it would be nice to have somewhere to stay for a while. At least until I'm ready to get myself a home of my own." She paused to think for a moment. "But even when you don't need to eat or sleep, don't you think it's nice to have a place to call home? Somewhere to return to after an exhausting day, where you can just relax."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam nodded. "That's how I understand it, though I could be wrong. I don't think anyone knows much about Caido. He's supposed to live up in the highest mountains, but those mountains are full of dragons, so nobody's really tried to find him. Somehow I feel like he wouldn't be too thrilled about being found, though."

Lilliane's relief made Cam smile. "Yeah, I know it's overwhelming to be suddenly uprooted ... I mean, I definitely want a place to call home and, like, store my stuff but I figured I'd take over one of the abandoned houses here or just find a spot in the Ruins ... Bastien might let me stay at the Artist's Sanctuary if that doesn't work. I just don't need to live in someone else's home, with heat and food and stuff, anymore."

They were nearing Sanctuary now, and Cam saw it, as with the Hollowed Grounds as a whole, with new eyes. It looked a little makeshift, a little rundown -- though hard work had gone into the place, it still had a kind of grim atmosphere, and the repaired and maintained buildings quickly trailed off into ruins. But it was home.

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"I mean, when someone chooses to live atop the highest mountains, guarded by dragons, he most likely doesn't want to be found. If he'd wanted to, he could've made his home somewhere more accessible after all." Lilliane said with a shrug. She was a bit thrilled by the idea of seeing an actual dragon. Though she would rather do so from the distance, somewhere where it wouldn't attack her.

Lilliane smiled at Cam as well. "If you need help getting one of the houses ready to move in, I'd be up for helping you out. I'm not the strongest, but I'll help where I can." It was, in part, a repayment for their help. Yet at the same time, she simply thought Cam was a nice person and wanted to help them out. "There's an Artist's Sanctuary? Is it only open for Artists, or can you also go there to watch things like a museum? I'm no big artist myself, but I still like to look at it. It's calming, somehow."

Once they got closer, Lilliane got a better look at the Sanctuary. With its makeshift houses, nestled among the ruins, it certainly seemed grim. Yet at the same time, it seemed to her that those living within cared deeply bout it. Despite everything, they still maintained the place and remained here. "I like it. In some way, this place feels just as alive as Kaiholo Port was. But while the port was brimming with life, this is about living no matter the circumstances." She had always thought that a place reflected the people living within, just as the people are changed by their surroundings.
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

"Yeah, exactly." As far as Cam was concerned, when God Himself asked you not to come looking for him, you probably shouldn't look for him. Unless you really sought suicide by dragon.

"Oh, thank you!" Cam smiled, surprised by Lilliane's offer of help. Had they been this quick to reach out to other people when they'd arrived in Caido? Sure, they'd interacted with others, but they wouldn't have put themself forward like that. It also sounded like Lilliane intended to stay in the Hollowed Grounds, which was nice. "I'd appreciate that, though I don't really have more than a backpack of stuff to move." They tilted their head as they considered Lilliane's question. "It's more of a studio than a display space, but I don't think Bastien would mind if you wanted to come by and look at some of the art. I mean, I wouldn't, either."

The compliment to Sanctuary made Cam grin, even if they hadn't had much to do with maintaining the settlement. "Yeah, I think the people here are pretty resilient. They've had to be. And, uh, most of the people still here are those who are OK with the Ascended." Cam didn't mention just how few people that was, but the size of the settlement made it kind of obvious.

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
To the topic of moving, Lilliane replied with a nod and a smile. "Still, if you need help fixing up the place, I know a bit about such things. Though I'm by far no professional." If anything, a home should be comfy after all. "I guess the best thing would be to ask Bastien then. I don't want to disturb anyone in their job or hobby. I take it you're an artist, since you want to stay there?"

On the topic of names, however, Lilliane realised she'd neither introduced herself nor asked the other for their name. She laughed. Things had been quite confusing, but to talk to someone without knowing their name for so long, it was kind of funny. "I just realised I never introduced myself. I'm Lilliane."

She got a bit more serious when they talked about the settlement. "I see. So it's basically a safe place for Ascended and people who are friends or family of them to live. And the other places, like the port? Is it more dangerous there or can't they live there at all?"
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

"Thanks," Cam said, still smiling with the warmth that Lilliane's willingness to help made them feel. "Yeah, you can come by any time and see if Bastien's home -- and if not, I doubt anyone will mind you hanging around. I draw, paint a little ... I'm kind of having to relearn things, since I was a digital artist at home."

Cam matched Lilliane's laugh on realizing that they'd neglected that basic courtesy. "I'm Cam. Cameron. Nice to meet you, Lilliane -- that's a pretty name."

Then Cam bit their lip. "It's not that Ascended can't live in other places at all. Well, we're not allowed in the Greatwood at all. But there are a few Ascended in Halo. Torchline, though ... their queen is a big proponent of the Old Gods now, so it's gotten harder to feel safe there. Plus the sun there is really bright, and we burn in the sun." After they spoke, Cam realized that some of the names they'd dropped probably wouldn't make sense to Lilliane. "Torchline is the coastal area, where we met, and Halo's a city up on the tundra. The Greatwood is, as the name suggests, a forest -- the Fae live there."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
"Right, there's probably no digital art here. How about electricity? Since you said things like phones and laptops dissapear when someone is brought here, what if someone builds them?" She furrowed her brows in thought. "Hmm... you said Ascended are like tech-based vampires. Does that mean you are what's most technological advanced here?" she asked, a bit jokingly.

"It's probably frustrating, having to basically start from scratch because your medium isn't available here. Then again, I guess physical and digital art is not too different, so it's not entirely like starting from scratch, right? Like a cook switching over to work as a pastry chef."

Brows again slightly furrowed in contemplation, Lilliane said: "So basically every major area has their own agenda and is starting to place themselves somewhere in this conflict of gods. It's kind of understandable. They're afraid that if they don't they will stand in the middle at the end, with both sides fighting them and neither side helping them. Sadly, neutrality is something you can only afford if you're strong enough."
Lilliane
Cameron Davis
Artist

Change author:

Cam shook their head. "No electricity, but we have running water. My phone and laptop didn't disappear when I came through, but they got bricked -- they're pretty much just glorified paperweights now. I have thought that maybe if I took them to the Voice ... But I haven't had a chance to do it yet. But yeah, the Ascended are kind of the height of magical tech right now." There was pride in Cam's voice on those last words; they liked being on the cutting edge. Even if thinking of themself, of their body, as a piece of technology felt sort of strange. "Magic replaces technology in a lot of ways, though. So, like, they don't really need planes here, because they have flying ships ... though a plane would be faster, I guess."

At Lilliane's comments on art, Cam nodded. "It's not too bad, since a lot of the principles are the same -- and some of the art programs I used mimicked real paint, so I sort of know things. But it's been pretty frustrating regardless. To go from something you thought you knew really well and then have to start as a beginner again ... And, god, what I wouldn't give for an undo button in real life." They laugh.

Another, more somber nod. "Yeah, everyone's taking sides ... and, uh, a lot of them are siding against us. But I don't know how much we can do about it."

cameron ?

Lilliane Baker
Cook

Change author:
Lilliane nodded along to Cam's explanations. "If the Voice can create Ascended, fixing a laptop or a phone sounds like a piece of cake in comparison. Then again, I'm not even sure what they would be good for. Since there is no electricity, they wouldn't work anyway. Plus no internet or phone signal." she pondered. "But why use flying ships when there are portals? They are instantaneous, are they not?" she asked, a bit surprised.

Lilliane laughed as well. "I think most people would like to have an undo button in real life. But I think it's better that we don't have one. It's only because we can't undo our actions that they carry the weight they do. But I'm trailing off into philosophy again." She chuckled. "I'd say don't view it as having to start as a beginner. Instead, look at it as getting the chance to view your hobby – or job -  from a different perspective and getting to know a new side of it." she said with an encouraging smile.

To Cam's last remark, Lilliane shrugged slightly. "I don't know either. The only thing I can think of is more PR? Unfortunately, in such situations, the side which doesn't actively go out and tries to sway public opinion to their side is the one with the least allies."
Lilliane