[se] Light in the water
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
Amusement flickered through the telepathic bond as Hadama swam slowly ahead of her. You know people who are much more powerful than those I have met. He spoke with grave courtesy, but it was possible that he was teasing her.

She had a good suggestion and he nodded in easy agreement as his lantern trailed behind him, it's light becoming more pronounced the deeper they swam and the darker the waters around them become. Yes. It was wisest to go straight to the source - the lanternmakers themselves. Her mischievous suggestion brought the twitch of a smile to his own lips. That is an excellent point. Shall we bring extra supplies if they wish to make their own?

Age: 22 | Height: | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Sineda Offline
Change author:
MP: 410
Chrys
I know everyone. She spoke in as grave a manner as she was able to. Was it true? Certainly not. And she made no secret of it, amusement rippling through the bond along with her words.

All the more so at the thought of the landpeople making lanterns as the two of them had done shortly before. Sure. We'll have to decide who has to show them how to do it though. A slight tilt of her head followed. And we'll have to meet earlier to gather materials then. A thought which made the whole idea a lot less interesting. Actually having to do work beforehand.

Code base by Sky

the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Now that you have met me, that may be true, he agreed to her teasing claim, still keeping up the pretense of solemnity though his own humor rumbled beneath the bond, warm and quiet.

He held his chuckle in, but it took some willpower as she voiced her... perhaps 'concern' was too strong a word, but Hadama flicked the whiplike end of his tail towards her reassuringly. If it comes to a demonstration, I have the most experience, he stated with calm confidence. I do not mind sharing the tradition.

He glanced back to check on his lantern, nodding to himself as he saw that it was functioning as it should; with every tug and slosh of motion the blue glow flared bright enough to shed a little sphere of light around the squid-balloon, and the air within kept it floating above the mermanta. I will need to collect more anyways. I gave you my sister's squid, he explained, not sounding particularly repentant about having given it away. These are found near the Maw, down where the light does not reach. Have you been there before?

Age: 22 | Height: | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Chrys
Then I'll leave it to the wise Hadama, to demonstrate this important tradition. As she said this, Chrys did a little bow underwater, though the grin was still not gone from her face.

Upon Hadama mentioning that her squid was originally meant for his sister, Chrys looked at it. Though she didn't seem to mind much either. I've been at the maw. But I've never gone down all the way to the ground. And here her eyes gleamed with excitement, a sentiment also clinging to the words she shared over the bond. But I'm gonna do that at some point. I want to see if there really is a kraken down there.

Code base by Sky

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama twisted weightlessly in the water to give Chrys a grave nod of acceptance. Thank you, he murmured through the bond, accepting her gracious willingness to pass up the honor of teaching drylanders the ancient art of blowing air into a slimy squid.

Green eyes laughed silently as he twisted around again to continue swimming forwards, and the light from his lantern danced across the gold-traced scars along his broad manta wings, giving them a greenish hue. I am down there often, but I have never seen the kraken. But the Maw is very large, and I have only seen a small part of it. His humor faded back to seriousness for a moment. But there are other dangerous creatures there. I once saw a squid whose eyes were each as big as my head.

Change author:
Chrys
Chrys's eyes widened. That sounds amazing! Seemingly having missed or ignored the 'dangerous creatures' part, she sped up slightly to get next to Hadama and grinned. What else did you see there? Want to go there together sometime? And she did a little twirl, still moving forward, her tentacles forming a helix behind her for a moment, before straightening out in the water.

As she swam beside Hadama, Chrys looked him up and down. What do you do when you're not blowing up squids? Curiosity was mixed into her words. She remembered having seen him in the city, but not where.

Code base by Sky

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He was growing used to her enthusiasm, and Hadama looked over at her thoughtfully. His warning appeared to have fallen on deaf ears, but he could appreciate Chrys's curiosity. Yes, he replied simply to the suggestion that they go together. He would certainly feel better if she had someone else with her when she went! There are many colorful corals and anemones on the slopes of the Maw, where the light reaches. Away from that... it becomes empty and dark very quickly. But there are predators of the deep that come up to feed there. And I have seen orcas in the area, he added a touch darkly. A potentially dangerous place, and the killer whales had no compunctions about trying to take a bite out of a mermaid.

Hadama accepted her once-over with quiet amusement. I am a metalsmith. I cold-forge in my family's workshop. He tilted his head back at her, returning the curiosity. What path have you chosen?

Change author:
Chrys
Corals are always nice. I like looking at them. Chrys remained silent for a moment, thinking. But it's even more interesting what could be found further down. When it's dangerous, I'm sure there will be many interesting things hidden down there too.

As for the question Hadama had turned back to her, Chrys was taken aback for a moment. She had never seen a job as a chosen path. Then again, it meant the same. Just different words. I'm an explorer! I go to all the places people rarely go and see what I find. And that stuff I trade for what I need.

Code base by Sky

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Corals were nice, Hadama agreed silently, but her following caveat gave him pause and it was his turn to think silently for a little while. Away from the light, fewer things grow. Everything that moves is food, to the creatures down there. He didn't outright disagree with her, but there was a sense in the bond that he didn't necessarily agree, either.

Most of what he'd found hidden at those depths had involved a great deal more teeth than he wanted that close to him again any time soon.

Hadama didn't seem surprised at Chrys's chosen career path, given her earlier words, and a thrum of warm amusement momentarily surfaced in the bond. I have also begun to explore more, he admitted. Until I can improve my magic, I cannot improve my smithcraft. Perhaps new experiences would jostle something loose? I would enjoy exploring together with you, he added. Not least because he was a little worried about the cheerful young mermaid getting into danger alone.

Change author:
Chrys
Hadama's non-agreement was answered by a mental shrug from Chrys. I probably won't go down there right now. I'll have to get faster to get away if something dangerous tries to snatch a bite out of me. Which, going by the slight mischievous notions accompanying the words, was heavily leaning on the probably.

Sure! That sounds like a lot of fun. As she said this, she did another little twirl in the water, pulling her new lantern in a circle as well. I want to learn more magic as well. I met this one guy who was able to make water move like dragons. Some day I want to do the same as well.

Code base by Sky

the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Indeed, Hadama murmured, noting the mischief in the bond and trying not to worry too much about what it might mean for Chrysaora's adventures in the near future. His own speed left much to be desired, and some training wouldn't hurt him either.

He glanced over as she twirled, her jellyfish bell spreading and swirling like a drylander's skirt. Hadama considered thoughtfully for a moment, and then spun a slow, graceful circle as well, sea lantern bobbing along behind. We can help each other, then, he decided, the amused light back in his eyes. But for today, I must go. See you soon, Chrysaora.

With that, the mermanta bowed his farewell and took his leave to bring the lantern making supplies to his sister so she, too, could enjoy the annual tradition.

~Fin~