where is the road that will lead me home
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
if I ever start to think straight
Amun nodded at Nikolai's concern. "I've already been out on the water. A long time ago, I made a boat for all the Ascended. The sun is blacked out on it, so yes, we can definitely go out without being instantly killed." Sighing, the potter gestured at the horizon. "I had grand dreams of us all going on adventures on the oceans together." He snorted.

Shrugging one should, he glanced over at the younger Ascended. Amun pressed his lips together. "Actions speak louder than words." Bowing his head, he scratched his forehead. "And it's not our enemies we're trying to convince. It's those who are on the fence."
this heart will start a riot in me
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai tried to picture such a boat as Amun described. It sounded like something out of a fairytale. "I like that dream." He snorted, "Though I'm not sure that I want to be stuck on a single boat with the whole family." There were a few people in particular that he could hardly stand a whole conversation with. Being on a boat with them for weeks on end? The younger Ascended would pull his own hair out. He'd probably throw Dipshit off the boat. Actually... that wasn't a bad idea.

He knew Amun had a point about those on the fence, but it just seemed so difficult. "I don't think that's a lot of people like that at this point. I've never met any." Nikolai sighed, "Have you?" He hoped so., There had to be more, right?
Some lie in wait
For you to step into the shadows
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Actually laughing at Nikolai's comment at being stuck on the boat with the rest of the Ascended, Amun leaned over to bump the younger Ascended's shoulder. "Don't worry, it's a big boat, and it has a few smaller ships if you need some privacy." A smile settled onto the potter's lips for a brief moment before slipping away again.

Leaning back, he rested his weight on his elbows, legs still dangling over the edge. He didn't answer the other man's question right away. Instead, Amun continued to stare out at the horizon. Finally, he sighed. "There are. Unfortunately, they're the type that likes to keep their head down and avoid conflict, so they're hard to find."
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Age: 28 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
"Good", Nikolai smiled softly as Amun laughed. He hadn't been trying to do so, but it felt good to have managed to bring some mirth to his fellow Ascended. He didn't know the man well, but he got the feeling that he was the kind that easily smiled. Seeing him so down actually felt wrong because of that.

His brow furrowed at Amun's next words. "If they're the kind to avoid conflict, what use are they? Even if they supposedly decide that we're ok in their books, if they don't help us fight, then what?" It was useless sympathy then. "Unless they plan to take on a supportive role that is." Sheltering Ascended that couldn't fight or helping bolster defenses would be useful. Still, he couldn't see such people even doing that.
Some lie in wait
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Sighing, Amun shook his head. Glancing over his shoulder at Nikolai, the potter arched an eyebrow. "Even if they talk to their neighbors, change one person's mind about us, that might make a difference." Looking out at the ocean again, he shrugged one shoulder. "And they can supply us, or at least it's one less body our opponents can use to support their own goals."

Humming a low note, he blinked a few times. "If there wasn't a war imminent and we were safe, what would you want to do?" Sitting fully upright again, he scooted a little over so he could actually see the younger Ascended without Amun having to crane his neck.
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai shook his head, unconvinced. "If you say so", he relented. He'd try just as Amun suggested, but the younger Ascended had little hope of success. It seemed too unlikely to work. "One less enemy is good." That part at least made sense to Nikolai.

The younger Ascended glanced up as Amun moved closer, pausing as he considered the question. "Well...I'd probably make a career out of what I already do. But focus on not war related topics as well." It was uncomfortable to talk about himself with someone he hardly knew, even family. But Amun had been close with Sam, so Nikolai doubted he'd make fun of hobbies.

"I like to research and study in the Atheneum." Nikolai sighed, "I'd probably work on uncovering it's secrets and translate and transcribe old texts for the family to enjoy. Maybe study the languages themselves. Probably write stuff." Linguistics and poetry were some of his strongest passions after all.

Wanting to take the attention off of himself, Nikolai turned the questions on Amun. "Would you spend your days making pottery from sunrise to sundown?"
Some lie in wait
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Alternatively looking between the distant horizon and Nikolai, Amun nodded along as the younger Ascended explained the kind of work he did. Sighing, the potter rubbed the back of his head. "A storyteller and a scholar, then? That's a good profession." Hesitating, he stared into the water. "Now that Sam is...gone," he swallowed before continuing, "have you considered taking over his shop? I think he'd like knowing it was still in the family. And there's a spot for you in the Arti-san's Guild if you want."

Snorting, he shook his head. "There's not enough demand for that, much as I enjoy it. No, like I said, I'd go sailing. See what lies on the other side of the world." He gestured out across the water.
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai startled, looking at Amun in shock. "What? You want me to take over? I didn't know Sam as well as some; shouldn't it go to someone he loved?" Surely there was someone who had higher priority than Nikolai? Even if Amun didn't want the shop, he had to know of someone who was a better choice.

Regardless of the shop, the offer of joining the Arti-san's Guild is also a surprise. "I never thought about that. If you think a scholar fits in that category, then I'd like to join." Nikolai had been under the impression that the guild was for craftsmen. Carpenters, potters, artists. That kind of work. Not people like him who kept their head in books.

Nikolai chuckled, "That might be true." Pottery wasn't a regular purchase for many. More of a niche thing if he recalled. The idea of seeing the world appealed to him and he understood why Amun dreamt of doing so. "If you do go... I'd like to come." The younger Ascended sighed, "I've hardly ever left the Grounds. I want to see the world."
Some lie in wait
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun arched an eyebrow at Nikolai. Snorting, the potter shrugged. "Do you know of any other scholars who might be looking for a place to work?" Nodding at his fellow Ascended's question, he smiled though it faded rapidly. "It definitely qualifies." Sighing, Amun looked out at the horizon again. "Sam was a member."

Reaching over, he clasped the other man's shoulder. Giving it a squeeze, the potter inclined his head. "There's no reason to wait on that, is there? I'd be happy to go exploring with you, just say the word." Releasing Nikolai, Amun let his hand drop into his lap. Letting the gentle sound of the water lapping against the stone wash over him, he took a deep breath.
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
Nikolai flushed slightly at Amun's words, "Fair." He hummed, mulling over the idea. "I think I will then. Would you be willing to help? I'm sure there's a bit that needs to be cleaned up and such." He had no idea how to set up a business. The good thing was that the store was practically ready to go. Some cleaning and maybe renovations would be good though. And some personalization.

As for the guild, if Sam had been a member than that was good enough of an answer for Nikolai. "Then I'm in." He paused adding reluctantly, "Do I have to do paperwork to join?" Writing for research was one thing. Forms and legal documents were another thing entirely.

Amun's offer and small show of affection made a lump grow in Nikolai's throat. Not trusting himself to speak, he simply nodded. Letting out a heavy breath he found his voice, "Sounds good." The other Ascended fell silent and Nikolai was more than willing to relax in quiet. The sound of the water was soothing, and it calmed his racing mind.
Some lie in wait
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Amun smiled and nodded at Nikolai's acceptance and request. "Sure. Just letting me know when and where and I'll be there. Can bring some extra hands too if that'd be helpful." Snorting, the potter shook his head when the topic of paperwork came up. "No, nothing like that. I'm pretty sure if I tried to make them fill out a form my members would collectively run for the hills. You're a fully fledged member now." He patted his fellow Ascended on the shoulder.

Sitting there in silence, the guildmaster stared out at the horizon. He didn't know exactly how much time had passed. However, eventually he sighed and glanced over at the other man. "I should probably be getting back soon. Pretty sure I've wallowed long enough." Standing up, he offered his hand to Nikolai. "If you'd like, I can teleport us back but I don't know how pleasant the experience will be." If the other man accepted, though, the potter would use his compass to take them directly back to the Hollowed Ground.
Amun
Nikolai Moriya
Scholar /Bookseller

Change author:
Nikolai
Not all truths
Belong to the light
"Thank you." Nikolai offered a small smile, grateful that Amun was willing. The idea of taking over a shop was overwhelming, but it'd be too much of a shame to see all of Sam's work disappear. He'd do his best to carry on the legacy.

The lack of paperwork was a relief and Nikolai chuckled, "Good point. That'd drive most people away." It was a little anti-climactic but in a refreshing way, for his 'official' membership to be said and done that fast. It wouldn't give the opportunity to overthink or stress about some official meeting or orientation. No, he much preferred this.

Nikolai took Amun's offered hand and stood up. "You're right. I should get going too. Don't want to get caught in the sun." He eyed the compass with open curiosity, "Sure." Teleporting sounded too interesting to pass up. "But if I somehow get sick, it's your fault." With that, he watched Amun activate the compass and teleport them home.

-{FIN}
Some lie in wait