garbage in, garbage out
Maea

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
A sudden bout of mist begins to swirl rather charmingly around your heels. It’s gone nearly as quickly as it came, followed by the indistinct sound of faraway laughter.
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
my love affair with water runs deep into my soul,
the serenity as intense as the tides ebb and flow
Letting the pebble bounce off his chest, Amun snorted. Before he could do or say anything in response to Maea's comments or actions, the mist and the laughter sprang up again. Groaning, he glared at it as Zhanshi surfaced and bit at the fog. "Not this shit again." The potter shook his head and pressed his lips together.

Returning his gaze to her, he gave her a lopsided smile. "You don't need to apologize. In case you hadn't figured it out, I enjoy your company too." Walking over, he clasped her shoulder and gave it a squeeze. "I just know that obsessing over things we can't change makes us miserable, and I would rather see you happy."
nothing is softer or more flexible than water,
yet nothing can resist it
AMUN
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
MAEA
The mist was unexpected. So was the laughter. She thought it was Amun at first, until he groaned and she saw Zhanshi snipe at the thing. Lifting a foot she meant to waft it at the creeping ground fog, wary of letting it touch her - and then it was gone. Curious. The titter of amusement lingered like a memory in the air, a taste of nostalgia on the tongue. Years ago, she would have associated it with Ludo and smiled. Now... it was only painful.

Snorting softly, the girl returned her attention to Amun. Managed a smile, that wasn't entirely dead. Somewhere deep within there was a stir of contentment - almost joy - that he didn't just keep her around for duty's sake. She slipped an arm around his waist and leaned in against him, wishing for the gloom to lift and vanish like that mist had. If she could have a smidge of his strength...

"I know," she murmured. "In my head I know you're right. I just don't... know how to stop." Obsessing, pining, looking for reasons and signs. Not a habit she'd picked up recently - it went back as far as she could remember. "Give me something to do, brother? A task, anything at all. Maybe... if I have something to focus on...." In an ideal world she ought to pick for herself, but Maea had no wants today. No needs. Nothing called to her, or piqued curiosity like it once had.

But she cared about Amun, and maybe if she did something because he told her to, she might eventually begin to care about the task, as well. Maybe. At the very least, it would be something to occupy her days with.

She didn't care if it meant relying too much on him. Or that she ought to be there for him, too. One day when this fog had lifted from her mind, she would return everything he offered. Tenfold. Not that she was keeping score, or anything.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Barking out a laugh, Amun reached over to ruffle Maea's hair. That done, he dipped his fingers in his belt pouch and tossed Zhanshi a small cube of meat. "How quickly she forgets," the potter commented to the landshark. Looking up at her, Amun grinned at her. "You're here to help me test out the capabilities of my new upgrade, remember?"

He gestured at the wall he'd walked through most recently. "I'm trying to see if the material or relative density makes a difference, or if its just the thickness in general." He rubbed his hands together. "So. A task. Pick the next object for me to phase through." Arching an eyebrow, he came to stand next to her.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
It was perhaps not to the same scope and extent as she had intended, but... fine. She hadn't specified, after all. And it was a task.

Straightening herself and blowing tendrils of mussed hair from her eyes, Maea glanced around them. Ruined houses, piles of rubble. All perforated like so much cheese, and mostly built from the same kind of stone. A particularly massive slab of a stone that looked a bit darker and glossier than the rest caught her attention. She pointed at it, with a side-glance at Amun.

"What about that one? It looks different, and thick, too. You could test how long you're able to phase as well. Just don't get stuck." Perhaps it had been the foundation stone for something, or a piece of bedrock torn up and cast aside, though the edges looked too even for that. In a flicker, she disappeared -

- and reappeared on top of the slab. Seated cross-legged, and waiting to see that he came out alright on the other side.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Waiting beside Maea while she picked out a target, Amun hummed a snippet of a drinking song. Scanning their surroundings, his gaze settled on the slab she finally selected. Nodding, he opened his mouth to respond.

However, she’d already ported away. Closing his mouth, he gave her a salute then broke into a run. Right before he slammed into the rock face he activated his upgrade. Phasing through it, he paused for as long as he dared in the center of the block. When he finally emerged on the other side he grunted and stumbled a bit on the uneven ground.

Catching his balance he turned and called over to her. ”You know, if you’re looking for a longer term project that doesn’t involve me mother henning you, there is something you could take over.” He shot her a grin.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
It was a nervous wait. Seeing her brother disappear on one side, Maea counted the seconds to herself, still and unmoving on her perch. When he finally emerged again, a slow exhale released, entirely unnecessary and very much habitual. That he stumbled made her frown, and heedless of the distance to the ground she pushed herself off, falling freely before her feet connected with the soil. The impact jarred her to the bone, systems complaining and initiating minuscule repairs to tissues - had she been her old self, she would have been left with a sprained ankle at the very least.

Now, she didn't even care. There was no pain, no limp, nothing to indicate anything but casual indifference as she approached. At least for herself. Amun, on the other hand, was given a close inspection.

"Are you alright?" The concern was the most real emotion to come from her in a long while. "As far as mother hens go you're not half bad... but sure. I'll do whatever you like. What did you have in mind?" Even if she didn't mind being watched over, Maea had a feeling that Amun might enjoy some time on his own. Just occasionally. Babysitting her ought to get tedious after a while.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Chuckling, Amun nodded at Maea's question. Brushing off his shirt and pants, he waggled his eyebrows at her. "Totally fine. Turns out I can't see through solid rock, though, so I wasn't prepared when I came out the other side, that's all. There's probably an upgrade for that if it turns out to be real problem." He reached out to give her shoulder a squeeze.

Moving to lean against the stone he'd phased through, he slipped his hands into his pockets. "I was talking to Ophelia, one of the newer Ascenced. Do you know them?" He paused to let he respond. "We want to host a festival in the Hollowed Ground. Some night in the Woodland, so we can use the glowstones for illumination. We'd invite people from all over and have contests and shows, everything you could ask for. Interested in helping plan that?" Arching an eyebrow, he grinned.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
A final once over, then she nodded and accepted his claim. Touched his hand briefly as it squeezed her shoulder, and settled in beside him to listen. The name Ophelia did sound familiar, but no face came to mind, and Maea shook her head.
"The only Ascended I know are you and Nate. And Wessex, I guess." If she had acquainted others, it was so briefly that their names didn't come to mind. She didn't mention Sam; it felt unnecessary to cause him pain.

The last thing she had expected was a party. Pale eyebrows rose in surprise, and she met Amun's gaze. Took in the grin, how enthusiastic he looked.
"Why not," she conceded. It was nothing difficult, nothing she hadn't done before. Of course, this would probably not be a feast dedicated to the Old Gods.
"Did you and your friend decide on a theme? And when do you want it to take place? Before Deepfrost?" That might be a bit tight... but not impossible.

"Does that mean you are going to be busy with other things?" Looking back at the ruins, she considered the walls around them. Searched for a new obstacle for him to pass through, once he had recharged.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
"Technically speaking, Wessex and Nate are demi-gods. Ascended demi-gods, but still demi-gods. At least nowadays." Amun waggled his eyebrows at Maea. "But the party planning will be an excellent way for you to meet the family." Leaning over, he bumped his shoulder against hers.

Shrugging, he let out a bark of laughter. "Listen, I was just trying to talk them out of setting off fireworks. We didn't come up with specific details, so whatever you think is best." Pausing, he hummed a low note. "Perhaps a celebration of yet another LongNight without monsters?" He glanced over at her to see what she thought of that idea.

Shaking his head, he sighed. "No, I'll be around. But...given recent events having me at the helm of a celebration might not be the best idea." He grimaced. Looking down, he scuffed his feet in the ground. "Got another test for me?" For once, his voice was quiet.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
His technicalities be damned, it was close enough for her thinking. And try though she might, there was not even an ounce of enthusiasm summoned by the cheery concept of 'making friends'. Or as he put it, 'meet the family'. What family? The only person she would ever acknowledge that way was him. He had earned it. She bumped back at him, lost in thought until he went on. Talking of fireworks.

"Alright. No explosives. Wow, will that even be a party?" A bad attempt at livening up, that fell flat as soon as he brought up LongNight. "Then it should be held on LongNight," she replied, subdued. "I'll think of something else."

The shift in Amun's tone was unusual enough that it brought her out of her own fog. Twisting around to look up at him, Maea's expression softened, and she reached up to thread her fingers through his hair. A cool thumb lingered on his cheek, offering all the quiet affection she had to give.
"If you want to, then it's the best idea ever thought of," she told him. "But if you would rather not, I will take care of it. No questions asked." Whether it was because of Sam, or his involvement in the recent upheaval didn't matter to her.

Turning her gaze to the ruins, she pointed to a series of three walls that had fallen like dominoes against one another. Supported by one still standing column, there was a slight gap between each segment.

"Try that one. Unless your phasing is a one-shot action?" She didn't have the details of it - perhaps he couldn't switch back and forth that rapidly.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Chuckling, Amun waggled his eyebrows at Maea's question. "As someone who recently exploded, I can confirm it will still be a party." That conversational bomb dropped, he smirked. It slipped away as her own expression darkened. Slipping his arm around hers for a moment, he pulled her closer. "Don't be so glum. I know it was a time of sorrow and fear but it's not anymore."

Shrugging, he released her. "No. I'm fine helping to plan but if we're hoping to attract outsiders then not having one of the people who assaulted Stormbreak as the main organizer is a good idea. Besides, I hardly need more notoriety now, do I?" He winked though his grin was a little more subdued than it might have been.

Scratching his chin, he blinked a few times as his gaze trailed across the series of stones she'd pointed out. "I think I can. Pretty sure it's timed, but let's find out, shall we?" At least until an admin says otherwise. With that, he broke into a jog. When he was close enough, he activated his phasing upgrade and ran through the walls. Letting out a breath as he emerged through the last one, he turned to jog backwards a bit and give her a thumbs up.
AMUN
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"I know. It just feels disrespectful, to all those who died over the centuries. Rather than a celebration, it ought to be a memorial for LongNight. A time for rememberance." She could still host a party. Would, since Amun seemed set against it, even though it really meant nothing to her.

His pain did mean something, though. Maea watched him advance towards the obstacle she'd pointed out, frowning softly at the way he kept returning to jokes and smartass comebacks even when it clearly wasn't funny anymore.

"What did you mean, you exploded?" she asked, raising her voice so it would carry. "You know, Amun.... I am aware I can be a bit of a downer most of the time. That doesn't mean you're not allowed to be, too. If you want to talk about what's really going on for you, I am right here. Not going anywhere."

He didn't have to wave off his emotions. Though, of course, she neither could nor would try to force him to talk. Too aware that sometimes, joking was a way to protect oneself from their own thoughts.
I'm bleeding out for you
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
Pausing, Amun nodded to Maea. For a moment, he grimaced and rubbed the back of his head. "You're right. I hadn't initially planned for it to take place during LongNight, but if it does we should honor those who lost their lives." He breathed out a long sigh. "We had simply been hoping for something festive to attract people and dispel some of the gloom in the Hollowed Ground. No harm was intended." Still, he inclined his head to her.

"What's confusing about that?" He shot her a grin before reaching out a hand to lean on the nearest rock. As he took in her appearance, and Zhanshi surfaced to nibble on the potter's boots, though, Amun frowned.

"I'm fine. Trust me. I encountered a spirit that made me feel as if I was dying. I thought there was some trick, some way to escape, by proving my faith, so I threw myself into a magical bonfire that was present. It was just an illusion, though, no matter how real it felt." He shrugged and felt one corner of his mouth twitch upwards in a smirk. Pushing off the stone, he walked over to her and slung his arm over her shoulders.
AMUN