[open se] if you only had time
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
I write sins, not tragedies
“Anytime,” the Wraith replies, pushing herself to standing. “I’m living in the Barracks now, so just come find me. Cal and I - I’m not sure if you’ve met him yet - are working on training with upgrades. Did you know some can be taken out and switched around? It’s fascinating, really.” Far more animated now than she has been during their encore prior conversation, it’s one thing that hasn’t changed in Wessex; she still loves to talk about fighting and weapons.

Perhaps it’s why she might be a better strategist and General than a Leader.

Giving a purposeful kick to a stack of bones, they go flying against shiny black walls, clattering about and ricocheting where the demigod might have been a little too forceful. The mess she'd started with is now cast about the room, and Wessex turns from it, satisfied. “I can try. Come, tell me what you want to do on our way back to the portal.”
WESSEX
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 21 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
Maea shook her head. "I haven't, yet. The only people I really know are Amun, you and... well, Peter, I guess." Though the slight hesitance in her tone suggested the last connection was tentative at best. She hadn't spoken to him since before he passed away. "Really? That is interesting. Can they be traded between us too, temporarily?"

Rising to her feet as Wessex did, Maea fell in beside the older woman, a pale shadow cast in her wake. She kept glancing up at the Wraith; this all felt very new and strange, and might take some getting used to.

"Well... for starters, I can teleport about thirty feet close range, or make one long leap from, say, Atheneum to the Temple. Or from the Temple to the Woodlands. I've been thinking it would be nice if I could bring others with me, if I do... but it's not something I can do right now." As the path narrowed on the way out, she dropped back to walk behind Wessex, allowing her to lead the way. "And I can discharge electricity. It stuns people - the reach is about ten feet, and can be sustained." She had made some use of that in the past, but thought better of mentioning it now. "I know how to hold a bow, and someone offered to teach me how to fight with daggers.  Other than fighting, I like books. Researching. That's... that's it, really. Can't say I'm good at any of it."

She paused, and waited to hear what Wessex had to offer in terms of insight. If she could be made more useful, surely the woman would know where to begin.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Nodding enthusiastically as Maea catches on, Wessex replies, “Yep. But let’s keep that bit of information amongst the Ascended. Our unpredictability may end up saving us.” She does her bet to keep the grim topic matter-of-fact, but they are drifting into more solemn territory during this walk-and-talk. Carrying her lantern with her, the Wraith leads the way through the twists of the Climb, pausing once or twice to get her bearings before they proceed on.

“Good to know, thank you. At this point, my demigod magics are stronger and greater than my upgrades, but they’re still very useful. I can talk to any Ascended in an entire region. You may have heard me once or twice -” raising a brow, the Wraith leaves it at that, as they’d already moved past her noted absence. “My eyes decipher languages that aren’t Common, and see through God-made illusions. The only one I can probably share is a biopulse that hits anything with a nervous system - including us, so that’s a bit tricky sometimes.” There are her talons, of course, but those can’t be carved out.  

Hemming to herself, she casts another glance towards her paler sister. “Good is a relative term. You can start by not judging yourself, because everyone has to start somewhere. Are you feeling more offensive or defensive these days? That might help guide you.”
WESSEX
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
The girl nodded solemnly at the request for secrecy. "I won't pass it on," she promised. Who was there to tell, anyway? If she had at one point or other been inclined towards self-destruction or bringing others down alongside herself, those impulses were suppressed and contained by the deepening bond with Amun. Even if her own worth and value remained in question, she would not risk him.

Humming in admission as Wessex went on to mention the telepathy, Maea nodded again and didn't dwell on her failure to respond to past summons. If the woman wouldn't make a thing out of it, she was only grateful for the chance to let it be; she could only do better from here on. The abilities the Wraith explained were certainly interesting, though Maea was glad that they were not her own. Some of them seemed quite daunting; especially the bio-pulse. "I can imagine you need to weigh benefits and consequences when using some of those," she remarked, with a thoughtful frown. "Tactics and strategy is going to be important, isn't it? It might be useful to practice working together, sometime. Maybe do tag-team spars or something? I would have no idea how to move around without getting in the way of someone else on the same side."

Even if it was only in passing, the way she was told off for getting down on herself made the pale girl's eyes widen a touch, only for a small smile to appear. Somewhat pleased - maybe even amused -  before she gazed on ahead and considered the question. Reaching out a hand, she traced the curve of the wall with disfigured fingertips.

"It depends," she admitted. "On a good day I prefer not to get into fights at all, and would rather just leave instead of arguing, let alone exchanging blows. But then, there are these moments... where everything sort of shuts off inside. Suddenly I don't care about anything, and when it happens I sort of... go for the jugular. Damn the consequences" It sounded more than a little unhinged to say it out loud, and she cleared her throat uncomfortably. "I suppose I would prefer a well rounded fighting style... I want to do both. Protect my important people, no matter how it has to happen."
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Maea gets it. Wessex loves that she understands and in that moment, it’s like she’s seeing the woman with new eyes - no longer the too-white, too-sickly, too devout Grounder who lacked a spine, but someone with whom she could actually work with, and well.Exactly.” Flashing a fang-tipped grin, the demigod goes on. “Working together, and sharing power. What can we do when everyone takes a bite of myself or Nate? If there are all of a sudden give mechbirds to fight, or five kitsune, who are able to disguise themselves and evade detection? When do you use self-healing, when do you let someone else take a swing and fall back?” Falling quiet for a moment, she thinks of the others.

Nate had been stubborn, and now she understands more of what drove him, but even with that understanding and knowledge of what he can do, she couldn’t make him listen. She can’t make them do anything. But if she can get them to put their trust in her and each other, perhaps they stand a chance. There’s loads she could say about the others, but right now it’s about Maea, so Wessex tunes back in.

After a moment of thoughtful quietness, she offers a suggestion. “Perhaps the Voice can make you a shield, or give you an upgrade where you could protect yourself and another person. Shoot something from behind it? Not necessarily a bow… but something else that’s ranged? Does any of that resonate with you?” Checking in to see how the idea lands, the General is already thinking of a backup, in case it’s not to Maea’s liking.
WESSEX
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
For her to receive any kind of approval from Wessex was such an uncommon thing, and as Maea watched woman's sharp smile and listened noddingly to the elaboration, she had a dizzying sensation of being somehow misaligned. Like the world had gone askew, and she had slipped into someone elses place - or as if something had finally righted itself. It was a strange thing, and kept gnawing on her even as the conversation moved on.

"I've been talking to Amun a lot," she said, "and while he's good at putting up a brave face, I can tell that he's afraid. I think the Stormbreak thing and facing off with Ronin really got under his skin. If there's anything I could do to bolster him, I would. Lending out my upgrades - I know it might not be much, but at least there's something I can offer, until I can catch up a bit more." The time she had wasted on simply reaching the same baseline as the other Ascended was really coming back to bite her, and not in a fun way.

The ideas Wessex offered were definitely interesting. "I do like having a ranged option," she replied and grinned as she gazed back at Wessex. "With something like that and maybe... oh, some healing? I think I would be well set for most occasions." A pleased expression brought a new spark to her eyes as she gazed ahead. Then she chuffed out a breathy laugh.

"Amun is going to be insufferable... He's been telling me to talk to you for ages, and I kept putting it off. Now he ended up being right again."
A whisper within a sigh
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Turning one final corner, the pair will find themselves in a more open room, with the portal securely in the middle. It isn’t fancy, like the one in the grounds, but it does the job - and for a moment, Wessex remembers the efforts between herself, Sam, and Nate to get it done. She never really thought that at any point, she might be the only one remaining - even if only temporarily. It catches her off guard and she has to mentally scramble to keep up with Maea.

“Oh. Ah, yes, I’d have to agree. He’d been gone a long time and I don’t think he truly realized how big the gap between demigods and everyone else has grown. I’m just glad he listened and saved his own ass because I really don’t think we could do this without him.” For all his unfunny jokes and stupid nicknames and endless chatter, Amun is a valuable part of Team Ascended.

And most importantly, Wessex had missed him. For more than purely selfish reasons.

“I will say that I’ve noticed that one or two super strong upgrades are better than five little ones. Better to strike hard and fast unless you have staying power..” Which is more or less the Wraith’s strategy, if she can get them to hit her. “But an army of warrior-healers would be the best of both worlds.” Nodding in confirmation to herself, it quickly turns again to an amused expression.

“He deserves a win. Let ‘em have it. I think we’ve both changed enough.” Her voice falls to a contemplative murmur, reflective and yet still strong. “The Voice and the endless racism has taught me many things about family and the power of love. I’m trying to follow her examples more often now.”
WESSEX
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
That was one sentiment Maea could both agree to and fiercely get behind. It was pleasing and worrying in equal measure to know that her brother was needed, and not only because he was the steadying anchor to her own fragile peace of mind. He was strong, and capable, and it would inevitably place him in harms way.

"Then I'll do what I can to support him, and you. And anyone else who needs it," she added as an afterthought. "I like the sound of warrior-healers. If there is time, I might strive for that. Otherwise, warrior will have to do."

She sounded pleased; having a direction and a goal always made her feel better. "Thank you, Wessex. I think I have a better idea of what to do with myself, now."

The tunnel opened up, and the portal appeared in the middle of the room. Maea gazed about curiously as she listened to Wessex, and nodded thoughtfully in response.

"I'll admit, I have a long way to go still, especially when it comes to The Voice," she responded earnestly. "I try to change, but it takes time to shake all the things I was taught. Just... if you catch me being stupid about things out of old habit, feel free to call me out on it? I know I can be stubborn, but I do listen. And I want to learn."

About family, and love, and ways to fight and survive this war. Maybe one day, she might even learn how to let go of the past.
A whisper within a sigh
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
It almost seems to good to be true - all of it - the reconciliation, the conversation. Not because she doubts Maea’s intentions or her ability to change, but because things aren’t allowed to get this nice in Caido. Put this interaction on top of her blossoming, genuine friendship with Sunjata, and it feels as if the world is going topsy-turvy. Internally, she’s afraid it’ll all be some cruel joke. You thought you could win, Wessex? Have a nice little family? How cute. How stupid.

And the only thing the Wraith. hates more than the Old Gods is feeling stupid.

“Same goes for you,” she manages before turning towards the portal. “Isla and Amun are too kind an optimistic to truly call me out. Just because I’m the strongest doesn’t mean I’m always right.” And maybe the most devoted, but that’s not a path they need to go down right now. She shrugs and makes a face over her shoulder. There are plenty of instances she could point to where she could have chose better, going all the way back to the Mathair incident.

But here they are are - the world and the two of them - and everything is okay for now. Jutting her chin towards the portal, Wessex indicates that it’s time for her, at least, to go home. “Shall we?” she asks, before stepping lightly into the portal, assuming Maea will follow.

{Fin}
WESSEX