there's still time to change the road you're on
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 11 - Strg: 31 - Dext: 34 - Endr: 28 - Luck: 30 - Int: 1
ZHANSHI - Mythical - Landshark (Airbending)
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
AMUN
"How awful of me to enjoy your company with no ulterior motive," Amun teased. Reaching down, he brushed some stray strands of hair from her forehead where they'd be tossed by their moving about or the wind. As he did, he shrugged. "Either you can trust me to set boundaries and to know what I want from life or you can continue worrying over nothing. If you do, though, you might be the first Ascended to develop wrinkles." He rubbed at her forehead with his thumb, pushing it up to create the very wrinkles he was warning her against.

Nodding as she brought up the other request she might have for the Voice, the potter smiled down at Maea. "First of all, it's not necessarily selfish. Filling that empty place in your heart will make you better and more effective overall." He paused to let that sink in. "Second, seems like we'll just have to prioritize."

Then he froze. Completely motionless for a moment, he swiveled his head to stare up the steps. "Well I just had a horrible thought." Turning front again, he blinked down at her. "What if...the portal isn't just one way?" He grimaced.
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD & SKYLARK <3
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 1917
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
"I know, right?" Maea's eyes slid shut, savoring the light touch to her face. "It's weird. You don't demand that I work for my keep, and you don't seem to be resentful of some vague thing I can't put words on, nor do you push me to share my body against all principle and common sense... It's almost like this is the most healthy relation I've had in years." Looking up into Amun's eyes, she smiled, a tad shy about the whole thing. "I do trust you, so I really hope you will let me know about it if something goes too far." Reaching up, she touched his cheek - and tried not to snigger as he messed with her face.

Priorities, huh. She liked that, and nodded with more vigour. "What would you say is most urgent – ?

He froze, and Maea broke off. Half sat up with a wary expression, until she realized there was no immediate threat. The followed his gaze up to the last steps, where the portal supppsedly waited. Heaving a slow sigh she settled back down.

"If it does... don't you think there would be far more dragon sightings in the area? Either it's a one way gate, or they don't have any interest in coming here." She tried her best to sound reassuring. "We can always move, if you prefer to be on the safe side..?"
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Age: 41 | Height: 5'7'' | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
AMUN
Chuckling, Amun shrugged. Waggling his eyebrows at Maea, he cocked his head to one side. "I mean, I could start throwing some classic emotional manipulation into the mix if it would make you feel more comfortable, like the old 'if you really cared for me you'd do this,' but honestly, it sounds like a lot of work and I'm not sure what I get from it." He stuck his tongue out at her.

Staring down at her, he frowned. "We are in the middle of nowhere. For all we know there are frequent dragons and no one is around to see them." Still, the tension bled out of his shoulders. "I just wish I knew what triggered the portal, that's all." He shook his head.

"Anyway, priorities. I suppose that depends on whether you want to take on a role on the front lines or act in more of a support capacity." Arching an eyebrow, he scratched his chin.
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Age: 29 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
"An obedient servant with insecurity complex? But I can see why that would be more imposition than benefit. Unless you're really into that sort of thing." Based on previous conversations however, that clearly wasn't his style, even if she didn't know him. Which was the whole reason why she was here right now, sprawled on a strange staircase in the middle of nowhere with her head on his lap and comfortable enough to actually speak about what went through her head.

"Mh, possibly. I just think there would be more signs, if dragons did pass through. Droppings, tracks, carcasses, that sort of thing. As dor the portal..." She paused to consider. "Only way to find out is to examine it closer. Not sure about you, but I'm not really in the mood for potentially running for my life right now." As if to illustrate she brought the arms over her head and stretched luxuriously, her spine arching like a cats before she relaxed with a contented sigh.

As he began to address her precious question however, Maea's expression took on a more serious note. Her gaze turned to Amun, and for a time she regarded him thoughtfully.
"I want to be where I can be most useful," she replied finally, in a subdued tone. "Let's be completely frank; I'm still not convinced that anything about this war is a good thing, or even the right thing. I just don't want you to die. Right now, that's all I care about. I don't know most of the others; they don't really matter to me. I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. So... in the end, I will do whatever I can to keep you safe. If that means fighting to keep the Voice safe too, or staying out of everyones way and work in the background... that doesn't matter."

Pausing, she kept her gaze fixed on her brother. Raking her lips with the teeth, she shrugged, then added; "I would prefer to go with you to the battlefield. But I'm aware it might be more of a burden than help to you, since I'm not strong enough to hold my own, yet."
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
AMUN
Snorting, Amun poked Maea in the nose. "When you put it like that, it's very tempting. It sounds way better than a leash, at least." He winked, before leaning back with a grin.

"Okay, these are all excellent points and I will stop my needless worrying." Giving her shoulder a squeeze, he glanced back up at the stairs. Examining them for any trace of dragons or other visitors, he nodded when nothing jumped out at him. "Nope, I think we had more than enough of that with the gourds."

Below, Zhanshi pounced (or whatever verb was appropriate) on the moushroom. Again, there was barely a squeak as the landshark swallowed the creature whole. Sighing as she spoke, the potter rubbed the back of his head. "I'm not omniscient or prescient, unfortunately, so I have no way of knowing how or where you'll be most useful. In all likelihood, Wessex and Nate and the Voice herself are our best chances of getting through this, so anything the rest of us can do to empower them is probably wise." He shrugged.
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Huffing a laugh under breath Maea did a subservient gesture with a hand and tried - and failed - to bow from where she sat. "Your will, is ever, my command, oh great one," she intoned with a nasal twang, exaggerating the accent of the most pompous of Torchline merchants she had come across. "Speak, and you shall be heard. I am, ever, at your beck and call, benevolent master."

Leaving the whole dragon thing alone, her attention was absorbed by the matter of war and priorities. Some tension that had begun to settle in her shoulders drained away, and the girl nodded.
"I know you're not. So that leaves the fact that I want to go where you go. And I suppose that means I will be fighting. Which also means I need to prioritize upgrades with combat capabilities. Offensive and defensive. And above all, I should probably make sure that what I have works to its best ability first, before expanding."  

Shifting her head until she could gaze up at the overcast sky, she sought Amun's hand, so the might hold it. "If you got to choose, where would you like me to be, in all this?"
A whisper within a sigh
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
AMUN
Grinning, Amun inclined his head to Maea. Lifting both hands, he gave her a tiny round of applause. "Finally. The respect I deserve. Took you long enough." He waggled his eyebrows.

Whistling a few notes, his brow furrowed. Finally, he nodded. "If I got to choose, there'd be no war and we'd be sailing for an unknown horizon right now." Pausing, he grimaced.

"That's not going to happen, unfortunately. But what you're saying about priorities makes total sense" Pressing his lips together, he reached down to cross her arms as she'd done when that shield first appeared. "In that case, I think improving that shield of yours might be the best route, at least for now. That way you can block any attacks headed for either of us." Scratching his chin, he sighed. "I should probably figure out which of my upgrades to improve as well."
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Making an expansive gesture of most humblest of apologies, Maea laughed. "It's what I really think," she assured him, "but it feels so awkward to say aloud when people can hear it. The neighbors, you know. They can only take so much scandal." Her eyebrows wriggled suggestively.

Then she sighed and gave him a stern but fond look. "You're avoiding the question," she pointed out gently. "I would sail off with you in a heartbeat - don't think I've forgotten that you promised me a trip with that ship of yours - but since we don't get that choice right now...?"

Waiting for the real answer, she let him cross her arms over the chest, and nodded in agreement. It was a good suggestion. She would consider it carefully. Much like she did with Amun's situation.

"Which one do you like best, and feel most comfortable with?"
A whisper within a sigh
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
AMUN
Amun tsked down at Maea. "Well they're ones to talk! You wouldn't believe what they do when they think no one is watching." Gasping, he snuck a wink in.

Shrugging a shoulder, he snorted. "I'm not dodging the question, I'm just deliberately misunderstanding it. There's a difference." However, he sighed and shook his head. "Of course I want you by my side, but...let's be honest, none of us know how exactly it's going to go down." He grimaced.

"I think my metal manipulation upgrade is the most versatile, but at the same time I'm not sure I want to get close to them. And maybe my flashbangs might give Wessex, Nate, or...whoever, the edge they need." Still frowning, he let his head lean back. His eyes searched the night sky as if the constellations or the moon held any answers for them.
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Her mouth twitched into a sly smile. "I see. And... how exactly do you know what they do?"  

Listening quietly as he elaborated, Maea eventually sat up. Twisting around until she sat beside him, she slipped an arm around his shoulders, mirroring the gesture he so often comforted her with.
"You're right. We don't know. But knowing that you want me along; that's all that really matters to me. I can train towards that. And if something else happens... well. We're all just going to have to deal with that when it comes." Soft words, full of a surety that in the moment was absolute. If it was only a flickering light in the dark, a will-o-wisp mirage of hope - what more could anyone offer, in times like these?

Humming thoughtfully as he listed his assets, Maea stared off into the dark as her thoughts picked up the thread. "Perhaps there is a way to expand the range of your metal manipulation? Then you could mess with their equipment, maybe even the area you are in. Also consider all the things you can do with the metal itself. Daggers, caltrops - your ability reminds me so much of the ice I used to wield. It's incredibly versatile, and your imagination and range are the only real limits, once you have material to work with."
A whisper within a sigh
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
AMUN
Amun arched an eyebrow at Maea's question. Shaking his head, he brought a hand up to his lips to mime locking them and throwing away the key. "A gentleman never kisses and tells."

Nodding, he reached for her hand, hoping to lace his fingers through hers. "Well then, let me reiterate: I would like you by my side." He smiled.

As she offered her own thoughts on the matter, he cocked his head to the side. "Like I said, it's versatile. Maybe...hmm." His voice trailed off as he hummed for a moment. "Perhaps I could ask if there's any way I could augment it so I can actually produce metal? Or attract it from the environment somehow, as you said? That way I don't always have to lug a lump of it around with me."
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
She looked absolutely scandalized, and brought her palm to the place her heart should be. "I'm speechless," she declared, and shook her head. "You win. I give up. Scandalize away."

Her fingers parted to make room for his, and with a happy little smile playing on her lips, Maea leaned her head in until her forehead could rest against Amun's. "Alright. Done," came the simple response. No questions asked.

It would always be interesting, this exchange of ideas and how they managed to sift nuggets of gold from the other's words. Especially the way Amun was able to put together a cohesive idea from her stray thoughts - that really had only been a rehashing of what he already said - brought a wide smile to the girl's face.
"I think that's a great idea," she nodded enthusiastically. "Whichever alternative would definitely give you an additional edge, I think." Tapping her thumb against the back of his hand, should they still be interlocked, she put pieces of the puzzle together in her mind.

"I work on the shield, and you on the metal. I think... companions will wait, for my part, until the war is over and I can look forward to happier days. As for right now... is there anything more you need, to complete the quest you have? And will you train me? If we do a little bit of sparring every day, it should become second nature at some point."  

She liked having a plan. Like a bloodhound on a scent trail, it gave her purpose and direction. Things he had accused her of being too dependent on; yet it was so comforting to lean back on.
A whisper within a sigh
Amun Arlun
Potter

Change author:
AMUN
Pumping a fist in the air, Amun grinned. Cheering, he winked at Maea. "Victory is mine! I'd like to thank my friends and family for this win, especially my sister." He reached down with his other hand and poked her in the cheek.

Nodding at her agreement, he sighed. "Well, if you ever want to help with Zhanshi, I've always got my hands full with him." He jerked his chin at the ground below. There wasn't a trace of either moushroom the landshark had consumed. "I know it's not the same but..." Voice trailing off, the potter shrugged.

"I'll train you, but I'm good on the latest task from the Voice. Like I told you, unless you've got a powerful creature locked up somewhere I'll just have to see what comes my way." Smiling, he patted her shoulder. "Thank you for the offer though."
Call it all my mistake
Long as you let me go
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Huffing indignantly she brushed his hand off, pouted for all of a few seconds, then couldn't help but laugh at his antics. "You're going to love this, then. I ran into Wessex a while ago. And even though I told her everything about what I've been, eh, 'up to'... she didn't even stab me." Quirking an eyebrow to see what he thought of that little tidbit, Maea went on. "As a matter of fact... she offered to help me train. And even gave me advise, and smiled at me. And I have no idea what happened, but that is not how I remember her. Ever. So... turns out, you were right. Again." She rolled her eyes, bracing for another victory speech.

The offer was very sweet, and earned him a quick peck to the forehead. "I appreciate it all the same," she replied. "If you think he will listen to me, then I'll do what I can to help. With anything, alright? Just say the word." That went for powerful creatures too, even though she unfortunately didn't have any stashed in her pocket. Or elsewhere.

That left training. And though she was tempted to jump to her feet that same instant, Maea remained seated and simply did a small victory pose of her own, arms stretching up over the head. Not that it was a very big victory - he had more or less agreed to it before, after all.
A whisper within a sigh