Burnt-out ends of smoky days
for Maea
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 48 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Online
Change author:
MP: 5675
He followed the direction of her finger, emerald eyes narrowing in concentration against the dark. The statue might not have been clear, but the landmarks around it were discernible enough for the merman to nod and return his gaze to Maea once more. "I have never been to it," he admitted. There was still a great deal of both ports he had yet to explore. "Is it common, on shore, to have shrines to individual gods?" Inefficient, in some ways. Though if it increased the chances of being answered, perhaps it was not so strange.

He paused and then examined the pale woman more closely. There was a sadness in her expression he didn't understand. "Are you a follower of Mort or Ludo?" he asked, low voice quieter as he swam into unknown currents.
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
MAEA
Satisfied that he had at least a general understanding of where, Maea's hand dropped and came to rest on her lap. "Yes," she replied, with a nod. "There are some that honor all of them - even one where the Old and New gods are worshiped together - but in many places each God has their own shrine. The Heralds too." And the Voice was almost always venerated alone. "Is that not so for your people?"

The question made her tense. Dropping her gaze to the dark water swirling beneath her feet, Maea chewed on her bottom lip. Teeth worrying at it until it should have been swollen and red. It was such a loaded thing to address - and she didn't entirely know the answer. Not anymore.

"I... honor and respect them," came her tentative reply. Very softly spoken, with quiet pain lacing through the words. "But I doubt that I would be welcome at their shrines. Not anymore."

It didn't even occur to her to speak anything but the truth.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Dark skin and hide were dappled with the starlit glow of the canal water that also illuminated the woman sitting at the water's edge, revealing expressions and details that the darkness might have otherwise hidden as they spoke. Hadama listened, and learned, but at the question he only shook his head. "There is only one, here," he rumbled thoughtfully. 'Here' being beneath the Arclight ocean. "The heralds were absent for centuries. The Old Gods answer... rarely." To put it mildly. But a thought caught him, then; or rather, a memory, and he looked in the direction of Ludo's shrine with a thoughtful intensity. "Do spirits haunt the shrines dedicated to a single god?"

He could see her discomfort with his other question, but now that it had been released there was no catching it again. The merman floated silently, patiently, giving Maea whatever time she needed without interruption or distraction until she began to speak.

Given her body language, her words did not seem surprise him, and Hadama simply tilted his head in acknowledgment. "I am sorry for your loss." There were questions in his eyes, but they remained unspoken
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
MAEA
Pursing her lips at the question, Maea considered it. Thought back to everything she had heard and experienced herself - a certain disastrous visit was still very fresh in her mind.
"I'm afraid so. They are everywhere." Flicking her eyes towards the distant shrine, she then looked back at Hadama. "This is only a theory of mine, but I think they become less... mischievous, with those who gain favor with the gods. I have no proof to back it up, however, so you might not want to take my word for it." A wry twist of her lips could have passed for a smile.

It was gone soon enough however, replaced by a downcast expression that lingered even after his polite consolation. The girl merely nodded; she could sense his curiosity like a tangible thing, but volunteered nothing. It was too personal. While he was pleasant enough to converse with - there was no denying that this mer was a complete stranger.

"What brings you to shore?" she asked instead, not so subtly trying to change the subject.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Her theory earned a slow nod of thoughtful agreement. There was a tightness at the corners of his eyes and in his shoulders that he consciously eased a moment later, drawing a breath and settling old memories back into the corners of his heart.

It seemed it was a conversation of difficult memories all around, and he accepted the change of subject with a graceful nod of acknowledgment for what it was.

"Trading for favors," he rumbled, looking back to the city with dry amusement slowly coming back into his eyes. "It was a good day." Looking back to Maea he tilted his head questioningly. "Where else will you go to find your musicians?"
Maea Valair

Change author:
MAEA
"Isee." Such a mundane reason. It was almost as if mer were nothing but normal people, despite all the legends and myths that surrounded them. Maea was vaguely disappointed that it hadn't been a more compelling reason behind the visit.

"Hmm. Local talents, probably. Young people can usually be bribed into things." Her mouth quirked aside, faintly amused. Maea began to rise, feeling the conversation was petering out. "I should probably get to it... It was nice meeting you, though." More than expected - she usually avoided unnecessary conversations.
Light is easy to love
Show me your darkness
BASE INSPIRED BY ODD <3
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
If Hadama was amused by the pale woman's disappointment, he didn't show it. The merfolk hadn't exactly gone out of their way to dispel those legends, and often found them useful. But sometimes a shopping trip was just a shopping trip, even if the goods one was trading were more exotic than usual.

He tilted his head in quiet agreement, this time letting a flicker of humor show through at the intention to get the youth to participate. "I hope it is an enjoyable night. And that your brother has fun." The mermanta watched Maea rise, unperturbed at the end of the unexpected but pleasant conversation. It was getting late, and he had a long swim ahead of him. "It was nice meeting you as well, Maea," he returned politely. "Safe currents speed you safely home." With a final nod of farewell he twisted and dove beneath the water, shifting as he went until only the manta ray remained to fly through the water towards the sea.

~Fin~