Training [se] drank every sky that I could
for Hadama
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 62 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 63 - Luck: 62 - Int:
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Melita
they should have checked the ashes
of the women they burned alive
Really, the plan seemed amusing. It was just too bad the pastries were to be the default choice. “What if…,” she murmured, well before the plan had reached cognition and intervals in her brain. “It’s not pastries? What’s something he likes to eat?” That way, in her juvenile mind, they could still acquire the favored food, munch on them while they plotted and schemed, and she might be able to snag a few other items in the meantime. “Or maybe some nasty…bitter thing, so it wouldn’t matter anyway!” Weren’t there some forms of chocolate that weren’t the most delicious thing in the world?

Sila and Fangorn waited, one perched on her shoulders, the other dutifully waving his vines around, as if hoping to get the show on the road.
because it takes a single wild ember
to bring a whole wildfire to life
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
"Sea food," Hadama deadpanned. "I do not think he has ever been to Haulani." He looked thoughtful. "He seems unfamiliar with surface food. Though I have mentioned the pastries before." Enough to pique curiosity, at least, given how understated the mermanta's praise tended to be.

He tilted his head at Melita's protestations, mischief bright in his eyes. "If it is bitter, it is not much of a gift, is it?" He was genuinely curious; his introduction to chocolate had been recent and there was still much he didn't know about its varieties and subtleties. "Is there another sweet you recommend instead of pastries?" He would gladly preserve their favored treats if an alternative could be found!
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Melita
“There’s some chocolate that’s pretty bitter…,” and she trailed off, tapping her chin, thinking of where she’d seen the concoction. “People use it a lot for baking, but I bet I could find a whole bar of it.” And she shrugged her shoulders, not really inclined or caring about the protestations of what qualified as a gift. “If I don’t like the person, why should I get them anything nice?” Seemed a bit insincere to the honeybee – who’d always worn her emotions right on her sleeves, or, in the perils of a weapon. Her notions towards Kiada, written neatly across a rock or a bauble, could interlace in domineering threats – which the youth liked best of all.
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Indeed," he agreed thoughtfully, nodding at Melita's forthright wisdom. Why should he get the remora anything nice? Except, of course, his father's disapproval if he didn't... "Will the chocolate melt as quickly in water as the pastry?" he asked cautiously, testing out the limits of this new approach.

He ducked beneath the water and rose again, pushing his hair back out of his face. "No," he said with a sigh and a shake of his head. "If you do not like them, why get them anything at all? For my sister's sake, I should at least make an attempt." Maybe it was the spirit of the season moving him, but it seemed important that at least the seed of the gift was held some modicum of courtesy, however reluctantly administered.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Considering the implications, and how much more difficult this had become other than notions of presents built upon vengeance and pettiness, the youth shrugged her shoulders, for she hadn’t tossed a bar of chocolate in the sea before. “If it’s in a waterproof box…and in the cold portions, I don’t see why it would.” Giving Hadama a bit more time to deliver his gift before the truth of its nature was exposed.

Whether or not the last question was meant to be rhetorical, the youth’s smile enveloped again into a Cheshire grin. “Spite.” Sometimes that was the sole motivation of many antics; a tried and true conviction.

From there, she waited on pins and needles, for approval of her ideas or for something else to sway.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He trusted her judgment in how long the chocolate would last underwater; he had only her knowledge of dryland food to rely on in this instance, and he nodded slowly, considering. "Spite may not be the best reason," he started to admonish, but then his lips twitched and he tilted his head in reluctant agreement. "But it is the most fun one." And she had far more reason to rain spite down upon the betrayer of her people than he did against an annoying sisterly boyfriend.

"Chocolate, then. I will say it is a dryland delicacy," he decided, green eyes sparkling with silent laughter. "I think, even if it is not very bitter, eating it underwater will ruin the taste for him." With a decisive nod at having that choice made he met Melita's eyes again, steely brow rising in query. "Will you stay with the shiny rock?"
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Considering Melita’s decisions often relied entirely on impulse and an utter lack of control, she shrugged at the insinuation of her convictions. Indifferent about the judgement, she managed to snort at the implications of its “fun” – the honeybee knew that well enough firsthand.

Imagining the sight of some other mer at the prospect of opening a gift, only to find seawater-laced chocolate had a peculiar, amusing glimmer to it. The image left the Cheshire grin to reform on her mouth, just enough to indicate danger and stupidity went hand-in-hand.

As for her rock plans? “Sure. Maybe. I don’t know – I’ll see what catches my eye.” Though she could always throw it in through Kiada’s window, which served as a bonus point. “Want me to go snag the stuff now?” Seeing as how they’d formed some sort of agreement?
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"Please," Hadama agreed, tilting his head in agreement now that the plans had been decided on - his, at least. As for what Melita would end up deciding, well, only time would tell. But he was looking forward to seeing what the bright, fierce young human would come up with.

Limited by the canal, he could only wait for her return but in the meanwhile he enjoyed what was swiftly becoming one of his favorite pastimes: people-watching the various humans and animals as the walked, scampered, flew, or hopped along the thoroughfares of the port market. Some rushed by on errands while others moved slowly, shopping at a more leisurely pace. The merman watched them all calmly, still within the waters such that most people didn't even realize he was there unless they happened to look right at him.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Off the honeybee went with her feral entourage in tow – scheming and plotting as she went down the rows of market stalls, breezing within kiosks, before settling on which dark chocolate (and yes, some pastries, to be consumed without thought of enemies and adversaries getting hold of them) to snag. The waterproof box wasn’t forgotten either, as that was a large chunk of the mer’s gift exchange, and after some decent haggling and trading, the youth skipped back with Fangorn at her heels and Sila extending her wings from the smuggler’s shoulder.

“Here we go!” She plopped down on the edge of the canal, legs dangling while Sila balked at the proximity, handing out the goodies. For her own, she lifted a ruby-like fixture – quite fake and very false – up for inspection. “She doesn’t deserve a real one,” she noted, before putting it away, and procuring the pastries too. “There. Anything else you need today?” Her brows arched towards Hadama, as she began snacking on a savory concoction, and giving out pieces to both companions.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
It wasn't hard to spot Melita's return; her menagerie made quite the sight but the honeybee girl was striking in her own right with her cloud of red hair and graceful, springing step. Hadama dunked himself to keep his skin wet and surfaced at the edge of the canal once more, right beside where Melita appeared a moment later. He pulled himself half out of the water to examine the goods and nodded in satisfaction as he carefully tucked the chocolate into the box and sealed the container against the sea.

"Is it glass?" he asked of the 'ruby' before it was tucked away. Taking one of the offered pastries he nibbled at the edge in meditative bliss, savoring each second of sugary flavor.

"Hm. From the market, no," he said slowly in answer to her question. "But your advice... yes. What weapons do you like?" Her absence had given him time to think about many things, it seemed.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
“Probably,” she ventured, not truly caring what it was. Just that it would be a gift to put a damper on the ol’ Harpy’s spirit. She swung her legs and her bare feet kicked a little at the water, allowing them to skim over the top as she munched on her pastry happily. Fangorn occasionally followed suit with an extended vine, as if to encourage more sharing, and Sila was picking up on the notions rapidly, gingerly pressing her weight into the honeybee’s lap – a look of innocence building in her eyes.

The youth snorted and continued parsing out bits and pieces, tilting her head vaguely at Hadama’s question. “Oh, I like all kinds!” Another Cheshire grin formed, delighted at the discussion of armaments. “My favorites are the bow and staff, but I’ve also practiced in hand-to-hand and daggers!” Which likely shouldn’t surprise anyone.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Water magic might have inspired a more mischievous turn of events, but since Hadama had none he settled for breaking off a small piece of his pastry and offering it to Fangorn for sharing with all innocence of his own.

Melita's assertion came as no surprise and the mermanta's lips twitched towards a smile at her eagerness. The staff he'd seen in action personally - though perhaps not as it was initially intended to be wielded - but mention of bow and daggers brought a thoughtful look to his face. "Hm. If there is a War, I may need to learn a weapon that can be used from sea to shore. Do you have ideas?" A weapon of distance, but one that could be used more than once, preferably.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
Melita
Any trace of good humor faded off at the notions of the subject change; swallowing the pieces of pastry at a slower pace, face turning slightly into some manner of a frown. Her eyes flickered downward, studying waves and undulations in the canal, before her feet began lingering over the top of the water again, as if dialing back into other notions, pushing emotions aside. “Are the Mer going to help in the war?” She hadn’t thought about that – of drumbeats echoing under the sea as well.

Thereafter though, she contemplated. “So you’ll want something long-range,” was a consideration, a shrug. “Polearms, bows, spears…could all work.” Depending on how far away he was from the action, or if it found them directly in the fathoms and depths. Did the Voice want anything to do with those below?
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
He saw her expression fall, but for Hadama the War was still an abstract sort of concept. One he took seriously and with great concern for his people, but also one which felt... distant. The dryland council of Torchline had made earnest reassurances that the fighting would center around Haulani and the shore, and that the Underwater City would remain safe and untargeted by outside forces.

He still wasn't sure that he believed them.

"...As a people? It is... unlikely," he said slowly, and some hint of deeper troubles touched his own expression for a moment. "But I have friends here now." He nodded to Melita and her merry band of companions, a spark of warmth returning to green eyes. "And I will help, if I can." And sealed the promise with the last bite of raspberry pastry that he held.

He listened to her suggestions and tilted his head in contemplation. "A polearm or spear could be useful," he mused, seeing the possibilities for use both above and below the water. "Something that pierces. Did you see any for sale in the market?"