[SE] Nocturns
Open!
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 49 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5695
Hadama said nothing during Amanda's bitter lament, simply letting her speak her piece and listening quietly. He remained in the water and steadied her boat when she climbed up to explore the rock shelf. From what he heard, Torchline - unlike Stormbreak - was fairly accepting of Abandoned, but there were always exceptions.

His sympathy wouldn't change her past and Hadama was wiser than to take responsibility onto his own shoulders for the choices of others so he simply inclined his head in silent empathy with her past plight. Her own question struck a still-healing nerve in the merman, however, and he didn't answer immediately.

Green eyes watched her pace the rock and how her shadow danced in the light of the lantern as it struck reflections off the small waves inside the cave. After a time he tilted his head to the side, neither a yes nor a no before beginning to speak.

"We all have the potential for it," he rumbled slowly. "Though not everyone manifests it." He paused and then gave her a nod in recognition of her humanity. "Ours is more limited than human magic. But certain vocations rely on it. It can be... hard... when a child who wishes to follow their family traditions lacks the magic to do so." Though that was more on the individuals involved rather than their society as a whole.
Amanda Branford
Scavenger

Age: 27 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 1 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Terra Omen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Finished with her examination, Amanda sat on the end of the rock outcropping, letting her legs dangle in the water. "At least they're accepting of it," she said. "I've never met anyone who wanted to have magic if they weren't born with it. I mean, I wouldn't trade mine for the world, but it comes with a hefty price. And fuck all the gods for that."

She realized after saying it that the merman might be offended, considering he'd been praying to one of the gods.

But she'd said what she'd said, and she wasn't going to take it back.

"Thanks for the help. This looks like it'll serve my purpose. Soon as I get the first...shipment in, I'll get you those crates. And I'll have more where those came from, if you know anyone looking to strike a deal." She was eager to continue working on building trade connections with the merfolk society. It could be quite a market for her.
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 45 - Dext: 36 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 49 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5695
From what Hadama had seen, the people of Torchline were generally pretty accepting of Abandoned, but each of their experiences had been different and he saw no sense in arguing. Her opinions seemed set in stone and it wasn't his place to try and convert her when she pushed back so hard against the gods she had no desire to meet and seemed to openly scorn.

Though if he were a god, he would not want to answer the prayers of such a hostile, combative person either. So perhaps it was a two-way street.

"I will check for the crates soon," he agreed quietly. He and all the merfolk owed Safrin a great deal more than he owed Amanda, and her casual blasphemy boded poorly for future connections with the mermanta. He looked back at the waves and the rocks outside the cave thoughtfully and then dove into the dark water, leaving Amanda to make her own way out of the treacherous area at her leisure.

~Fin~