For Science
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

SAMUEL
Sam wrinkled his nose, disappointed, at the absolute lack of anything that had happened after he'd cut himself for it. Putting his thumb in his mouth and sucking off the last of the tasteless fluid he watched Remi poke at it then tried it himself - the cube moved easily. No change to the weight.

"I think..." Sam began, taking his thumb from his mouth. "That maybe it really is just the weight of it that is special. I wonder...if I am holding it...do you think you could knock me over?" This honestly was not something he massively wanted to test out (he may have had advanced Ascended strength but Remi was still a fit man) but it would prove a use for the object.

"How about..." Holding the cube in one hand he leaned forward onto the counter with his other elbow, holding out his hand as if challenging Remi to an arm wrestle. He hoping holding hands would not be such an issue if it were for competition. "Try to move my arm? I could win a lot of prizes at the Rathskeller with this if it's true." Sam smiled and wiggled his fingers, enticing Remi to participate.

I'm starting to heal and find some faith
I'm starting to feel what's out of place
Don't need you to save me, I can't wait
To fall, to fail and start again
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 63 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 100 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2259
remi
The higher I climb the farther I fall when I do
Remi's brows raised at this suggestion, and after a moment he nodded hesitantly. "I...sort of think I might not be able to. That, or if you held it, I wonder if your body would be pushed, but your arm would remain still?" His nose crinkled slightly as his considered this and what possible uses it might have.

Watching Sam strike such a nearly-challenging sort of stance, Remi couldn't help but snort in amusement. He did have to swallow down a moment's uneasiness as his eyes looked at the bookmaker's open and awaiting palm, before taking a breath and nodding. Gently, his calloused but strong fingers mirrored Sam's hand, sliding against his palm as he laced his fingers around the other man's hand. With a gentle squeeze of his fingers, Remi could indeed move Sam's arm. Given Sam's ascended strength, it felt as difficult to move as the alchemist would have expected it to be, though he was able to pin Sam's hand against the counter.

"I win." He chuckled happily, releasing Sam's hand.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

SAMUEL
Sam watched Remi hesitate before his grasped his hand and tried to look encouraging, comforting; assuring that this wouldn't lead to him leaping over the counter to make out with him. Still, he couldn't help the slight leap of his heart as Remi leaned close and held his hand, the thought of: He's so close, I could kiss him if he wanted me to.

But he didn't, so Sam didn't.

Remi won, which meant his cube didn't work for his whole body when held in one hand; Sam raised his eyebrows and smiled. "What do you want as your reward?" He asked.

Gently taking his hand from Remi's (he didn't want to, but he had to) he played about with the cube in his hands, wondering what it was the item was called. That was likely something he'd have to ask The Voice, he supposed. "...I suppose it shall be useful if I need to hold things down in my shop. ...Unfortunately, I do not lead the most exciting life for mysterious technology."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
remi
—What do you want as your reward?

"What did you have in mind?" Remi replied, altogether too flirtatiously before he caught himself. A blush rose up from beneath his collar, rising up and threatening to darken his ears as well. With an awkward and flustered smile that was entirely crooked, the alchemist looked down and swallowed hard.

Glancing up again, Remi smiled boyishly and shrugged. "I thought we agreed we were trying to stay away from dangerous things, and here you are disappointed that your mystery item is not more exciting. " The alchemist scolded playfully.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
Sam's face became a delighted, shocked grin as Remi returned his question with what could only be a flirt from the tone, the way he leaned into it. Had they come so far already? As Remi looked down he raised a hand to rub at his smile as he laughed lightly. "Well. There are several things, but it really should be up to the victor." Without his stutter, he was amazed to hear how smooth his attempts at flirting could sound now.

"Something can be exciting but not dangerous. I may ask Jigano if he has any use for it...though I suppose he'd need me to lift and put it back down. A lockbox in the Atheneum, maybe..?" There had to be some kind of practical use for the item, he had been drawn to it like destiny after all; Sam knew The Voice did not do anything without purpose.

With the mystery of the cube supposedly solved for the moment, he had run out reasons to be here, but Sam didn't want to leave just yet. He softly looked at Remi, really considered him. The curls of hair, smudges of charcoal...the youthful nature of his face. "...Would...you like me to bring some tea over? As a thank you, and maybe that reward. I have biscuits, too."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi
Entirely at a loss for words, the alchemist merely lived his eyes from behind a veil of curls and offered Sam a tentative and crooked smile. He ... didn't quite know what it was he felt. This all still felt too fast and he was too unsure of what it was he wanted to know where to go next. But perhaps it was because he knew that he'd already waded through this waters with this man in particular, that it felt more comfortable somehow. Though whether or not that was a good or bad thing was still up in the air. Still, as he gazed at Sam his mind flashed to the feeling of the ascended's hand on his cheek and the whisper of warmth just before he bit him that second time, and the alchemist had to look away unable to hold the eye contact any longer.

"A lock box is an interesting idea." Remi replied, clearing his throat. "Or perhaps if there are any more of those dangerous books, surely they'd not be able to open with this on them."

"I have tea here." Remi replied immediately, blushing again as Sam mentioned his reward. Ruffling a hand through his curls and feeling the weight of Sam's eyes on him, he cleared his throat slightly as he stood straighter. "Would you like some? It is quite good. From back home, actually. Unless ... have I offered it to you before?"
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
Remi's eyes felt different on him now than they had before since Ludo's curse. He felt a hint of their old selves in them, a warmth that reached down to his heart and made him feel as if he was walking on air.

"Oh! That is a good idea, the dangerous books. We are trying to gather a collection of them, I think." Sam would be very interested in a way to make sure that no one could accidentally fall into the sentient books as he and Jigano had; even though he had once ventured into one willingly since it was not an experience he wanted often.

He was more than happy to take Remi's tea, since the offer had been mostly for keeping them together. "I think I may have tried it once, but I'd love to have it again. When you say from home...did you actually bring it from Northaven, or just remember the recipe?"

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi
Remi nodded. That Jigano had plans to try and make the library a more safe place didn't surprise Remi at all. If anything, it made Remi glad to think that something Sam felt might contribute. "That, or just think of all the tricks you might play. Weighing down shoes or things that people need." He added with a mischevious grin.

"Come on then." Remi said invitingly, pushing off of the counter and wandering into the backroom. There were ... lion's scratch marks on the floor and door, though he couldn't for the life of him remember making them. Perhaps it was something Sam would be able to fill in, if he noticed them. Then again, perhaps not. "Oh, you did?" Remi asked over his shoulder as he set about getting a fire started in the corner woodstove. From over his shoulder, a kettle magically moved towards him, rising and setting itself on the top grate as Remi blew gently on the kindling within.

Turning around, he leaned against another shelf, glancing down and gently picking absently at some of the perriwinkle-ish paint on his white shirt (why did he continue to wear white?). "From Northaven actually. I arrived here with my bag and little else, but there were still a few things that made the journey. I do not have much of the herbs left to make the tea, but I still have some. And I am more than happy to share." Pausing, Remi nibbled his lip thoughtfully for a moment. "I did mean to ask though ... can you taste it? Or .. It's just, I always thought ascendeds could not really feel or taste, but then.." but then you started to get an erection the other night when you bit me, and so that theory is a bit shot to shit. "..you flinched when you cut yourself earlier, as if it hurt."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
"I think pranks are more your sort of thing." Sam teased as he followed Remi to the back. He couldn't imagine what Jigano's reaction would be if he began to play pranks in the Atheneum. The Loreseekers, with it's academic mood and library setting, seemed like the kind of Guild which would not welcome a class clown (and no matter how much confidence Sam had gained, it would not be him).

He sat down and watched Remi lift the kettle without touching it with an absentminded smile on his face. Magic was so wonderful; if he was ever lucky enough to bite Remi again he really had to try the telekinesis. He did notice the lion scratches on the door but did not know what had caused them; just assumed Remi had used the door as a way to get out some stress.

"Oh. I did not know Outlanders could bring anything." Most Outlanders he'd met had arrived penniless and with only the clothes on their backs, if that. He was surprised Remi would share the precious remains of home; felt honoured to be a part of it.

At the question, he blinked. Had he not told Remi about the upgrade? He thought he'd mentioned it...but perhaps he had not explained well enough. "I used to not be able to feel things, but then you made me the upgrade. You made it after...well. After the cave, when we kissed and you were upset I couldn't...feel the same way as you." He looked about the room while he said this, hoping Remi wouldn't feel as scared by the idea when eyes weren't on him.

"It allows me to taste, to touch...everything. Including pain. Which you may consider a bad thing, but for me...it is a sign of being alive. It...it's still the best gift anyone has ever given me." He looked over to Remi with the gentlest of affections in his eyes. "Perhaps you don't remember it, but I still want to thank you every day."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi
Remi chuckled and shrugged. "I suppose it is for the best that I cannot lift the cube then. Because that is definitely one of the first things I would do with it." To Ronin, most likely. With Isla out of his life, he didn't really have any other close friends. There was Phoebe of course ...who, he really should check on.

"Well, it was not like I had time to really pack." Remi said with a pointed stare towards the bookmaker, shaking his head sarcastically for a moment but with a smile on his lips. "I do think some of us arrived with some things ... strangely, some were things that they didn't even have on them at the time." Leaning back as the fire roared to life, Remi turned around to regard Sam properly with a light shrug.

Listening with a mild and gentle expression, Remi softly said "Oh." For about the millionth time, looking down at the floor and trying to understand. "So...I made it for you just to feel..." Tapping his foot slightly as if trying to summon some additional nerve, he glanced up almost cautiously at Sam. "..physical things?" Exhaling a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, he ran his fingers back to front through his curls with an unhappy sort of expression.

As Sam continued, Remi looked up again, gaze softening ever so slightly at the warm affection he saw writ in Sam's features. His pale stare wandered back and forth between Sam's eyes, finding the distance between them comforting but strangely enticing. As the kettle began to billow steam, two cups floated towards the stove as the alchemist reaches into a small ceramic pot and brought out two small packets of herbs. Dropping them each into the cups, he nearly reached out with his naked fingers to grasp the kettle before checking himself. Grasping it with magic instead, he poured the water gently and slowly over the tea, before physically handing a cup to Sam.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
"I knew it." And Sam could just see it too. Remi gleefully placing the cube on top of stacks of things in Ronin's guildhall or using it to stand immobile as someone tried to push him out of the way. It made him wonder if the cube was wasted on him, or if it was a blessing it had not gone to somebody who would purely use it for mischief.

Things that they didn't even have on them...? That was interesting. The mystery of the Outlanders was one that Sam had considered sometimes when he couldn't sleep at night. If there was a reason for their arrivals, a requirement for the people selected, a sense to the things they were allowed to bring. He was so wrapped up in considering this he forgot to say anything, and his deep thought showed in his furrowed brow and chewed lip.

Remi was clearly uncomfortable with the news about the upgrade, so Sam kept his answer short. "Yes. But it really helped me in a multitude of ways." With a nod of thanks he took his tea and sat back to breathe it in, enjoying the scent of the herbs and marvelling that they were not from his world.

"This smells lovely. I'm honoured you would share it with me. I..." He paused and looked off to the side of the room, considering if it was wise to say what he wanted to. "...I did not know if we would enjoy each other's company again, after...what happened. But I am glad we still seem to have a good time. Perhaps it helps we both like tea."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi
Noticing that Sam hadn't said anything, Remi chuckled as he glanced across as his friend, apparently lost in thought. "How interesting Remi. What else did you bring over with you, Remi?" The alchemist chimed playfully. "Just a few suggestions of what you might say in response." He added with a grin, sinking down into one of the chairs.

Exhaling upwards in such a way that one of his curls bounced away from his forehead, Remi nodded thoughtfully. "No...ahh, I mean I am glad. It just seems..I do not know, presumptuous, perhaps? To make you the upgrade just to be.." Remi could feel himself blushing again, but given all that he and Sam had apparently been through, beating around the bush now just seemed silly. "..physical with me seems a little.." Shrugging his shoulders, he smiled a bit uncomfortably.

Nodding with an air of reassurance, the alchemist smiled. "Why would you think we would not enjoy each others company? Was the way we met before really so significant that we would not like each other under different circumstances? Or am I really so different now?" He asked, genuinely curious as he took a sip of tea.

Speaking of tea...Remi chuckled. "You know, in Northaven not many did. I and a few friends were fond of it, but ... it was much more of an ale city. The only tea I ever drank was that I found for myself."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

SAMUEL
"Oh! I'm sorry." Sam exclaimed, realising belatedly that he had been rude. "I just...I was just wondering how that worked. Please do tell me what you brought." As teasing as it was, he actually appreciated the reminder that he was being accidentally unsociable; so many of the rules of conversation were still lost to him and he needed the pointers.

He turned to Remi as he sat and smiled and shrugged in response to his comment on the upgrade. He supposed it had been more than a sexual device, but as far as he knew that had been Remi's main motivation. "Well, it let me do other things too."

Sam didn't think he would get on with anyone, never mind people he had as complicated a past with as Remi. "I suppose I just worried that without us being pushed together like circumstances as we were before, you wouldn't want to spend time with me. I'm...glad we do not require a cave in to speak." He didn't quite meet Remi's eyes, but it was clear from the shy smile and fingers curling around his mug he was happy.

"Ale? Hm. I've never had much alcohol. By the time I was old enough to really appreciate it, I couldn't taste it or feel it's affects. I occasionally have a glass of wine, but...mostly to feel distinguished." He laughed at his own confession, his hand coming up to cover his mouth. After a moment he lowered it and looked to Remi, thinking of the golden feather and the paperweight he'd once received.

"I've always been impressed by your ability to make and learn. It must be so wonderful to know you have that power at your fingertips. I...I can make books, I suppose, but it takes much longer and is hardly as magical."

Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
remi
Remi snorted with a grin as his words seemed to have their intended effect. His expression was kind though, perhaps bordering on affectionate even as he shrugged his shoulders languidly. "To be fair, really only the herbs I have is all that is interesting. My notebook and some charcoal made it as well, but I would say that is hardly worth noting. The others though .. Roana came through with her weapons, despite being home with her children at the time. Ronin had some items with him, and yet his wardrobe seems to resemble what he had in Northaven.." Laughing a bit at this, Remi shrugged again.

Hearing that indeed his upgrade did seem mostly sexually motivated, Remi frowned in earnest now. Once upon a time he'd worked so hard to ensure that Sam knew that was not the case—that Jigano and Isla knew it too—but now the story he was hearing repeated back to him was precisely the one he'd sought to stop. He probably deserved it though, and this new Remi merely nodded sadly. "Well I am sorry for that. That seems...a strange gesture on my part." He said finally, glancing up at Sam. "I am glad that it lets you do other things."

It was easier to look at Sam when he was not looking back, and so as the bookmaker shyly averted his eyes, Remi took the brief reprieve from his gaze to cast his own out. He watched the small lines form at the corners of Sam's mouth, the way his long fingers wrapped around the cup, the distinct lack of breath, and smiled to himself before letting his eyes drop away.

Quirking a brow, Remi tilted his head slightly with a small laugh. "To feel distinguished?" He asked, sounding confused, but not unkind. "I cannot imagine a situation in which that word would apply to me." He admitted in return, though the confession seemed to come much easier to the alchemist than the bookmaker.

Humming to himself, Remi nodded a bit bashfully. "I suppose I have told you about my upbringing? Being able to learn and adapt was the only way I could ever survive. The magic is new, as...you likely know." Clearing his throat awkwardly, Remi still found it so strange that Sam likely knew so much more about him than he was currently aware of. "Do not ever think that what you create is somehow not as good." The alchemist continued, his voice earnest and his gaze unwavering for once.