Training Nightdive
for Kaiden
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
Manners were always appreciated, even when they were the bare minimum, and Hadama sent a quiet pulse of acknowledgment through the bond even as he turned to try and trap the shark against the coral once more. He suspected that the tiger shark had rarely faced anything that so outmassed him in combat; most of the larger sea life were filter feeders or fish eaters, not predators capable of hunting sharks. Even in the case of his fellow mantas, the natural variety were gentle creatures that would run from a shark rather than face it in a fight, in spite of their advantages in size and speed.

Though this combat showed why that was the case quite eloquently. Size and speed mattered little when faced with bad luck rolls sharp teeth, and even the King couldn't make up the difference in the natural abilities of their shifts.

Kaiden sped away from his trap and twisted almost on his own tail to drive back. Though Hadama had started to curve up his lost momentum couldn't be regained swiftly enough to dodge, and he felt sharp teeth pierce his pectoral fin. Hold, he called through the bond, shifting as he spoke so that his fin shrunk and melted away beneath Kaiden's teeth, leaving Hadama free and swimming in his mer form once more. Far smaller, but far better able to defend himself if the blood in the water went to the shark's shifted head. You have won.

And given that Kaiden had bested him in three passes out of four, the King inclined his head gracefully in defeat. I stand corrected. There is nothing I can teach you about combat.
Kaiden Strajah
Thief

Age: 21 | Height: 6'4" (5'10" if full human) | Race: Mermaid | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 2 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 16 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Blackbird Offline
Change author:
MP: 2935
kaiden

There is no shame in survival
Only strength

Kaiden felt the bite of blood in their mouth and let go even as Hadama called the end of their spar. Even if the taste sent the shark's hunting instincts surging, the mer within had control. Barely. Shifting back with a shake of the head to try and clear the singing bloodlust, Kaiden nodded in a slight daze.

Thanks. The word through the bond was a little garbled as the mershark wrestled for control. But Hadama's next words fully snapped them back to themselves. What? No, I just have practice with my shift. Realizing what they were saying, Kaien stiffened and then grumbled under their breath to save face, You just need more practice.

Nibbling on their lip nervously they added, I'd still like help with weaponry sometime. If that's ok? Gods they'd been so polite during this interaction, and it made them nauseous. The amount of difficulty in it was ridiculous and Kaiden hoped that the King was grateful for their immense effort.
coding by kaons
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
Given the mershark's prickly pride, Hadama hadn't expected the protest that salved his own bruised ego. He paused his departure, facing Kaiden squarely once again in a posture of listening - though the ghost of a smile subtly crinkled the corners of his eyes at the declaration that he needed more practice, and he tilted his head in silent agreement.

He noted the nervous nibbling with curiosity and was even more surprised at the request that followed. There really was more to the mershark than met the eye, and Hadama let a subdued pulse of gratitude wash through the bond at the gallantly awkward offer.

It would be my pleasure, he assured the younger Mer with solemn gravity. When you are ready to choose a weapon, I would be honored to help.

He turned then, swimming back down into the coral to gently collect the glowing sea star within a softly-woven net that hung from his harness. Goodnight, Kaiden, he said with a nod of farewell before swimming off into the dark waters.

~Fin~