[se] thunderstorms a week ago
open flora/fauna SE
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 19 - Int:
MITTENS - Mythical - Abominable Snowball
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 10254
Lena
and sweetest in the gale is heard
and sore must be the storm
Only a few more Mata Mata were left, drifting along both ladies’ sides, as if anticipating good things (treats), if they behaved themselves. As the rest of their brethren were balmed and slid towards a preferred tree, they continued to wait their turns patiently – enough so that Lena mustered light rounds of laughter as they stoked such wonder and compliance. “There are many in Caido with similar platitudes,” fascinating, but strange, as if Rae had permitted some random thoughts and ideas to float casually through. “We’ve only had a couple show up here. But they were interesting all the same.” And not too common, perhaps due to their existence in the Draig, a lack of predators, or any other nuances.

Tilting her head, the warm giggles tilted again at the mention of the speaking squirrels. “Oh goodness, they’re something else too. I came across quite a few in the Labyrinth. Always wanting to lure others.” She shrugged her shoulders. “Most of the time they don’t know where they’re going either.”
that could abash the little bird
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia joined her friend with a giggle of her own at the eagerness of the Mata Mata, releasing her patient to provide it with a treat of its own. The few remaining snakes writhed before her, and she picked up one of the last, stroking its head gently before beginning to apply the balm. She marveled at how well-behaved the creatures were. Perhaps they simply knew that they were being helped rather than harmed. Animals could be quite brilliant that way.

The young woman laughed at Lena's commentary on the Speaking Squirrels. "They are hopeless when it comes to directions." She released her last patient, which slithered happily way to join its brethren in their favored tree. "I always liked Chorus Bees in Flowerbirth," she admitted. "They always made my guardian nervous - they said that the bees could attack rather fiercely - but I loved to listen to their songs."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Lena
These Mata Mata were used to being handled with compassion and tenderness, customary when anything came into the Caretaker’s enclosures. For now though, the last snake writhed around her arms, content to be slathered in the balm, before racing off to join its brethren. Finished with the task, Lena secured the lid back on, adhering more to the conversation as she placed it back within her bag. “Chorus bees are wonderful! We don’t get many here,” she presumed, likely, due to their independence and how people knew better than to cross them. “But they have such fine melodies.”

Getting up from her place along the ground, she brushed off dirt and debris from her clothing. “I think that goes for most animals – as long as you leave them be, you can cherish their gifts to the world.” They all had their places, after all.

Pausing, she tilted her head vaguely. “Would you like a tour of the Celestine?”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
One of Sohalia's earliest memories was of the Chorus Bees. She'd been quite young, and Auden had taken her for a walk outside the confines of the village where they lived. They had settled in a nearby meadow for a picnic. It was Flowerbirth, and the meadow was in bloom. The Chorus Bees were everywhere, feeding on the flowers that were so abundant in the field. Auden had kept Sohalia close, but they'd been able to appreciate the beauty of the bees' melodies.

Shaking off the memory, Sohalia mimicked Lena. She unfurled herself gracefully from the ground, brushing dirt from her dress. "Of course," she agreed. "My guardian used to say that everything in the world has a place. Every animal has a purpose in Caido, just like we do." It was an observation that she stated confidently, and with fondness for her now-deceased guardian. In Soh's mind, there was nothing in the world more true than that everyone had a place and a purpose.

In any case, memories of Auden faded as Lena offered a tour of the Celestine, and Soh perked up at the offer. "Oh, that would be lovely!" she squealed, clasping her hands together before her chest. "Are you sure I won't be imposing?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Everything had its place and purpose; a sentiment Lena could agree with. She gave an effervescent beam at both the notions and the acceptance of the tour, excitement brimming along her fingertips. Clutching her basket of supplies readily, she ensured it was no bother. “Not at all! I need to make some rounds anyway,” including water and food supplies, inspecting the gardens, checking the enclosures… “An extra set of hands would be welcome.”

Snagging at the gate in a rapid, ebullient pace, she allowed Sohalia to pass through before latching it firmly behind them, turning back over her shoulder, waiting for the woman to catch up. “What would you like to see first? There’s the shrine, gardens, and pathways – all with different animals.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Lena was excited to show off the Celestine - Sohalia could tell. She grinned in response to her friend's excitement. It was even better that it sounded like she could be of some use. "I'll be happy to help however I can!" Soh followed Lena to the gate, her skirts swirling around her ankles, and waited patiently as the other woman latched the gate carefully behind them.

She clasped her hands behind her back, humming thoughtfully as Lena asked what she'd like to see first. In all honesty, she wasn't sure exactly how much there was to the Celestine, and so it was difficult to conceive a starting place. "I'm not sure," she admitted. "How would you normally go about your rounds?"
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Mittens made another ungodly shriek as Lena and Sohalia joined it outside the enclosure, though Lena was very careful to tether the snowball back along its makeshift leash. Compliant and obedient, for now, it hastened and floated behind her as they began wandering back towards the main center, the Caretaker talking animatedly, already beginning to like the notion of simply following her usual route. “I start at the middle, and go outwards, checking over the enclosures and making sure everyone has the appropriate amount of food, water, and the gates are locked,” she hummed, beginning to notate a list by counting off her fingers.

After another moment or two of quiet contemplation, Lena persisted in the notions and semblances, excitement continually etched on her features. “So we can do that then! Let me grab a few more things!” Ducking towards the center of the Celestine, where paths intermingled, branched off, and meandered away – there were rows of benches, and a small kiosk she’d maintained some time before, with its own ample supplies. Snagging at a few herbs, balms, and other necessities, she waved Sohalia down towards a trail to the left. “We’ll make our way towards where the unicorns are right now, and pass by the shrine.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Soh trailed along behind her friend, looking around with barely disguised glee. The Celestine was everything that Lena had promised and more, and the young woman was thrilled to be getting an up close and personal look at everything it had to offer. They stopped at a small kiosk in the center of the Celestine, where Lena picked up a few supplies. Soh hoped that she would get to meet some of the other creatures that currently resided in the Celestine - although she hoped that the supplies Lena needed were for routine maintenance rather than to heal any injuries or illnesses!

"Can I help carry anything?" Soh offered when Lena reappeared. The two women meandered down a path to the left, which apparently led to the unicorns and the shrine. "Is it a shrine to Frey?" she asked, curious. She had grown more and more curious about the deity the more she heard about them, and the thought of seeing their shrine piqued her interest even more.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
“If you’d like,” and the Caretaker offered several bundles of herbs and balms, already overflowing from her basket. Strolling alongside the youth, she jutted her jawline towards the shrine as they made their way around – and from a slight distance and behind curlicues of ferns and blossoms, Sohalia would be able to see the pedestal. The rush of water, the hark of wildflowers, the spread of seasonal majesty, serenaded and surrounded in equal measure, and it ensured Lena still wore a smile on her face. “To all the Old Gods,” she uttered, with some sentiment of pride.

Permitting the younger Attuned a moment, especially if she wanted a moment, she paused in her stride, before tilting her head vaguely, uncertain if she’d mentioned it before. “Do you have a preferred herald?”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia took the bundles of herbs and balms happily, glad to be able to be of assistance. As they made their way around, Lena indicated the shrine. Soh peered through the ferns and flowers, intrigued by the pedestal beyond. She'd only ever visited a shrine when she became Attuned, and that was quite a while ago. She could tell that Lena was proud of the Celestine and all that lay within, and she had good reason to be. "It's beautiful," Soh told her, an appreciative gleam in her eyes.

There was a pause while Lena gave her a moment, and Soh took a few steps closer to the shrine. She had nothing against the gods, of course, but she wasn't the most spiritual of people. It simply didn't usually cross her mind. Still, she felt that she should do something, particularly since it seemed to be expected of her, so she bowed her head and said a quick prayer to Frey to protect those within the Celestine and help them to heal. It seemed most appropriate to pray to the herald who had enabled such a place to exist.

Returning to Lena's side, the young woman tilted her head to one side thoughtfully. "I was Attuned by Mort," she mused. "But I've heard a lot about Frey since I saw you last, and I think I may be more drawn to them."
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
Proud and in accord, agreements, with the expressed sentiments, the youth nodded, watching and waiting for anything further; Sohalia stepping forward, some silent provisions waylaid into the expanse. Her eyes widened significantly though at the notions of Mort Attuning the young woman, for she hadn’t heard of such a thing. Of course it happened, she was sure of it, but remarkable nonetheless. “You must be quite fortunate! I haven’t heard of Mort showing often.” Maybe for Remi, as a beacon of death and Ludo’s chosen…her brow furrowed, contemplating it further.

She continued in her walking though, quiet musings taking hold, as they arrived along the outskirts of the unicorns’ enclosure. “Definitely give yourself opportunities to seek any of them out.” From there, she placed her basket down, hands tugging on the lock to permit the gate to swing open. “You can come in. I need to check the water and food first.”
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia blushed as Lena expressed surprise, unsure what to say in response. She hadn't really realized that Mort showing was that rare. She'd just assumed that she was one of many that he had attuned. "Oh, I'm sure he's attuned plenty of others," she demurred. "But I do consider myself quite fortunate, indeed." There - that was humble enough without sounding ungrateful, wasn't it? She certainly didn't want to offend the deity by making light of his gift!

They arrived at the unicorn enclosure, much to Sohalia's glee. She followed Lena inside, standing clear of the gate in order to allow the other woman to close it behind them. She looked around the enclosure, admiring the scenery. It was hardly a moment before her gaze fell on the unicorns, and she bit back a squeal. They truly were beautiful creatures. As Lena checked on the water and food, Soh wandered a little closer, not quite brave enough to walk up to them and content to observe from afar for now. The last time she'd seen unicorns, they had been a little too playful for comfort, and with those long horns, she was certain they could do some damage if they wanted. Of course, for beings with healing abilities, she supposed it was unlikely for any of them to deliberately harm someone.
Lena Magnus
Celestine Caretaker

Change author:
Lena
There might’ve been a listing of individuals somewhere in the tomes of the library, but Lena couldn’t think of anyone directly in her mind. But since Sohalia seemed embarrassed by the notions, the Caretaker let the notions fade, permitting a generous smile at the platitudes and then nothing more.

Besides, there was much to do within the unicorn enclosure. As Lena roamed towards the water section, and began to spread out hay, the equines looked on, cautiously. Some lead mares couldn’t help themselves in their guarded expressions, while young foals watched on with certain curiosity. Stallions were another matter entirely, snorting, huffing, pawing, before some began to amble forward at the first sign of food being placed upon the ground.

“If you’d like,” she called over her shoulder, “some need medicine,” and she pointed to segments in her basket, where Sohalia would be able to find little powders, already measured and smelling distinctly of apples. “I’ve been sneaking it in while they eat.” Thereafter, the woman started preparing food pans, for those who required a special diet. "We can grab those and put them in some oats." They had a little time before the herd was all the way over, and the youth began pouring certain amounts into the feed.
that kept so many warm
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia Lumaris
Sohalia watched the unicorns with interest, beginning to see patterns in behavior. Though she hadn't spent much time around unicorns - or around horse-like creatures in general - she could tell that some of the creatures were guarded, some were curious, and others were combative. It was fascinating to watch. They had an entire language all their own, and all Soh could do was watch.

Lena's voice stirred her from her observation, and as some of the unicorns began to meander towards the food that the other woman had so graciously provided, Soh made her way over to the basket that Lena had indicated. Inside, she found little vials of measured powders - medicine, according to her friend. "What's it for?" she asked as she snagged it from the basket and brought it to Lena. She waited for her friend to indicate which food pans required medicine. "How do you make sure the right ones go to the right pan?"