you shine brighter than anyone
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Sohalia
Sohalia was a sheltered child, and her experiences thus far in Caido beyond the limits of her home village in the Hollowed Grounds had been exceedingly positive. It was perhaps to be expected that her bright and shining expectations of the world would be dashed at some point, that, eventually, she would have to realize that the universe was not all sunshine and rainbows. Luckily, however, hers was a happy nature, and today was not the day that she was to delve too deeply into terror and angst. Instead, the longer she spoke with Deimos, the more she seemed to recover, and by the time Belial strutted to her side, she was back to her bright and sunny self.

She giggled as the peryton whirled around her, reaching out to offer her hand for him to sniff. She would happily provide scratches if she knew where the creature wanted to be pet, and she hoped that perhaps Belial would settle under her touch and show her where he'd prefer to be rubbed. "You're not obnoxious, are you?" she murmured cheerfully to the carnivorous deer. Then she eyed the unicorn, which had snorted, and she reached a hand out to Zuriel as well, hoping to coax the unicorn closer, not wanting her to feel left out.

By now the towel had been taken and dried, and Soh's attention was diverted from his companions to Deimos himself. "Oh, I'm from the Hollowed Grounds originally, but I spent a few months in the Greatwood before I came out here to explore," she explained, chatty and cheerful as was her way. "I wanted to see the Oerwoud for myself. I think I'm going to visit Stormbreak next, but I've heard good things about Halo. I'm just not sure how I'd handle the cold."
and that's the hope I have
the only thing I know that's keeping me alive
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword
Warden of Halo / Guildmaster

Age: 34 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 14 - Strg: 74 - Dext: 73 - Endr: 74 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
BELIAL - Mythical - Peryton (Blend) ZURIEL - Mythical - Unicorn (Healing)
Played by: Heather Online
Change author:
MP: 6754
DEIMOS
The sound of iron shots is stuck in my head
The thunder of the drums dictates
Deimos wrinkled his nose at both deer and cheerful murmurs, intending to give her yet another warning about the inherent, chaotic maelstrom that was Belial – but then the peryton did that well on his own. In a matter of moments he’d rampaged around the youth in a rapid circle, wings outstretched, bumping, imploring for more scratches, while hooting and hollering at the top of his deer lungs. The Sword withheld a sigh, but just barely.

Zuriel, for her part, remained entirely standoffish and indifferent, so Deimos gave her a firm pat on the neck and shook his head. Besides, other notions became clear, enough so that his attention hastened straight back to Sohalia. The Grounds could be a touchy subject for multitudes, and he could feel the inward crawl along his spine; memories never quite abandoned. “I see,” and then arching his brow, remembering the reports on Sparkbirds and demolition, persisted. “Did you avoid the war?”

Incapable of visiting Stormbreak himself, he couldn’t comment on the land, but some manner of discomfort disassembled at mentions of Halo, managing to crook some manner of a grin. “What have you heard?”
The rhythm of the falls, the number of dead
The rising of the horns, ahead
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia was unbothered by the peryton's antics, and she laughed as he pranced around her. He reminded her, in some small way, of a very overgrown, eager puppy. As she was buffeted this way and that by the deer's outstretched wings, she did her best to provide the scratches and attention that he so clearly desired.

She sobered, though, at the mention of the war. "I did," she admitted. "I was very fortunate - I had a protective guardian, who took me in after my parents died. They shielded me from most of the things happening beyond our little village." She felt a pang as she spoke of Auden, as she so often did, but it was becoming easier now to think of her guardian without bursting into tears. "I'm just now learning about what happened in the war. It's... difficult, especially knowing that I was so safe while others weren't."

Deimos offered a smile at the mention of Halo, though, and Sohalia perked up, oblivious to the man's discomfort. "Oh, only good things! My friend, Tal, he's from there, and he spoke highly of it. He mentioned a place called the Sea of Glass that's apparently quite a sight. He did warn me about the cold, though."
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Age: 34 | Height: 6'4" | Race: Hybrid | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
DEIMOS
The Sword’s eyes narrowed dangerously at the peryton – and only after a lengthy amount of time being pushy and irritating, did the companion feel the warnings through the bond. Within an instant, he’d lowered his head and raced back to Deimos, where he settled near Zuriel, curling up beneath her entity.

Thereafter though, with discussion of war, the man’s jaw clenched, eyes flickering elsewhere in the vast threshold of mist. Always one to protect and defend, and had done so as chosen by the heralds, he still wouldn’t shame any of those willing to find their own methods of shelter. Had he been capable of shielding everyone in the vast vicinity of his heart and soul, he would’ve done the same. They’d done the best they could in Halo, with minimal losses – but other lands, like the Grounds had not been so lucky. “That is fortunate then,” he managed to murmur, that others were spared the wakes of disaster – in the moments of feral barbarity. The restoration and renewal afterwards didn’t hide anything though.

Friendship with Talyson might’ve turned upon an embittered, rancorous, and ultimately indifferent end, but at least the courier was still branching out. While Deimos no longer accepted the foolishness, it was good to hear Halo’s reputation just and fair. So he nodded his head, permitting some manner of reserve to unfurl through his shoulders. “True. It is always cold. But we have ensured around the Citadel it stays hospitable.” And another hint of a smile at the discussion of the Sea of Glass. “One of my favorite places. It is as he says.” Pausing, his head tilted, turning his gaze back to the youth. "We also have some forests and foliage now along the tundra."
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
The peryton tucked tail and ran back to its master to curl up near the unicorn, leaving Soh slightly disappointed. Sure, the creature had been initially terrifying, but his exuberance in greeting her after had more than made up for it. Even if, as Deimos had warned, he had been a bit much.

Her fortune during the war was acknowledged, but not lingered upon. It seemed to Soh that the war must have been truly terrible, for so many to skirt its existence and shy away from discussion of it. She didn't push, though, having no desire to bring up bad memories for anyone she encountered. Instead, the conversation turned to Halo.

"I didn't realize that the Citadel was protected," the young woman mused. "How fascinating!" She listened to the rest of Deimos's description, nodding eagerly in response. "I hope to see it all, one day." Then she sobered. "But... I suppose I'll have to be careful there, too, won't I? And everywhere else I plan to visit?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
The Sword had seen enough wars in several lifetimes, and rarely discussed any of them. With campaigns and crusades came the unwinding of protection, the need to shield and shelter, the dedication and determination in ensuring an enemy’s demise – but so too came the notions of loss. And for most of them, no matter how hard they’d fought, a manner of pride didn’t reel across their shoulders. They’d fought for their lives, and others had paid the price. Some were monsters. Some were friends.

Maybe the fringes of peace and repose left him restless, but he also didn’t mind not rushing headlong into some other bestial wake. Instead, he, Evie, and Noah watched tirelessly over Halo, striving for its success not just in defenses, but quality of life. He arched a brow at the youth’s musing, nodding in accord. “The Nature side of Frey has given us many things,” and they’d completed the tasks willingly, earnestly.

At the inquiry though, his reticence obliged a little more of a crook of a grin in the corner of his mouth; pondering if Sohalia would be serious about such circumstances. She struck him as an individual who leapt into boundaries without much preamble. “It is always wise to be cautious.” His brow arched, pondering if she’d take the meaning. “There are many new flora and fauna we do not know much about yet.” Shifting towards Zuriel’s saddlebags, he snagged at a journal tucked away. “I have been taking notes of ones my guild has encountered.”
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia was an optimistic sort of woman, and absolutely the type to dive in headfirst without thinking. There was a certain rashness that accompanied her naivete that came from a simple lack of life experience. She'd grown up sheltered and cared for, with hardly a negative experience in her short life, aside from the loss of her parents and guardian. But she'd never really experienced a lack of kindness, or a feeling of danger, or anything that would set off warning bells in her pretty head when it came to wandering the world.

But now, for the first time, Soh understood what it was like to fear for one's life, and though it had yet to fully sink in, it did give her pause on how she wanted to continue her travels. After all, she had nothing except her snowy owl shift to protect her, and a bird - even a predatory one - would be little use against an enemy like the Ceffyl Dŵr. So when Deimos urged her that caution was wise, she took it to heart.

As Deimos pulled out a journal, Soh stepped a little closer, intrigued. She had a journal of her own that contained sketches of various flora and fauna, and she wondered if he had information on anything that she'd sketched. "Your guild?" she asked curiously. "What sort of guild is it?"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Flipping through the pages, there were seemingly boundless ends to the fauna listed. Some had been transcribed from other journals in their library, while others had been noted by his own hands, rough outlines and shapes, creatures and figments brought back to life for a time – little notes dictated along the sides as more and more sagacity, wisdom, came to fruition. He handed it over for her to inspect and peruse at her leisure, and perhaps gain a better acquaintance of things lurking in the abyss of Caido – while the inquiry came about.

Expecting the curiosity, he took a deep breath once again. “The Monster Hunter’s Guild. Though we do not race off to assault every creature, as the name might suggest,” and he gave half a grin; for he hadn’t been the one to signify the title or detail, merely taking it on so the wake didn’t disband years before. “Presently, we have been researching and collecting information on the flora and fauna here, and only hunt anything that is a threat.”
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Sohalia took the proffered book eagerly and began flipping through the pages. She wasn't looking for anything in particular, but several passages caught her eye. Some of them described dangerous creatures, while others simply sounded familiar. She absorbed it all with an open mind, wishing that she could have the time to examine the journal in more detail. As it was, she glanced back at Deimos as he began to speak, wishing to be polite - especially since she had asked the question.

"It's a shame that such a guild is needed," Soh mused after Deimos had quieted. "My guardian always taught me that every creature has its place in the world, no matter how big or small. Or dangerous, I suppose. But then..." She thought about it for a moment, flipping another few pages. "If not for you, I'd probably be injured or even dead, so... it's good that such a guild exists in Caido, to protect people." And she gave Deimos a small smile.

"But researching the flora and fauna! That sounds wonderful. I've made a bit of a study myself -" And now it was Soh's turn to dig in her bag, pulling out a (slightly damp) journal of her own. She handed it to Deimos proudly. It was filled with sketches of the various plants and animals she had seen on her travels. Some pages held drawings of landscapes and vistas, complete with notes on where she'd found each creature. It was remarkably neat and detailed, even if the notes were written through rose-colored glasses. Perhaps she would have to expand her notes to include danger warnings.
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Perhaps it was a shame; but as someone eternally bound to protecting others, it didn’t surprise him. Between the number of creatures who wandered into the world – such as the LongNight monsters – who only seemed to crave destruction of the people around, they’d had to find some way to combat the issue. “That can still be true,” he shrugged, the roll of his shoulders fighting off any restlessness. “But I have seen great violence from some upon the innocent,” like the festival, the mud monster, and the absolute catastrophe that followed. Demons made from the Voice, allowed to roam for no other reason except her own whims. Banshees and daemons who mourned their losses by craving another’s misery – were their places to puncture and pierce the weak? Was it some method of survival of the fittest? He couldn’t say.

He just tried to save who he could.

Granting her a small smile at the indulgence in return, he took his journal back, and eyes flicked back to her own book of scribes and studies. “I can remove the water from it,” he offered immediately, feeling the damp quality, wondering how much had already been ruined. “If you want,” came again, pondering if such things mattered to her. But then he carefully opened the book, prying apart some wet, sodden pages to reveal copious amounts of notes and details from her travels. Curiosity and ideas struck, in his usual machinations, but his quiet rumble persisted without the edge of those notions. “How many places have you been?”
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Deimos's words were sobering for the young woman. How sad it must have been for him, to have seen monsters attacking innocent people! He seemed to be a good man who wanted to protect others. It was somewhat jarring, to have her beliefs thrown into question in such a way. On the one hand, she desperately clung to her guardian's teachings - that everything in their world had a place. But what place was there for creatures that sought only to harm others? Why were they created in the first place?

She handed over her journal, eager to show off her handiwork to someone more experienced and well-traveled than she. When he offered to remove the water from it, she beamed at him. "Oh, could you?" she asked, relief evident in her voice. She'd been afraid that her work would be destroyed after her impromptu dip in the lake. "That would be wonderful!" She looked on, perhaps a tad nervously, as Deimos flipped through the pages, wondering what he would think of her work. It was probably silly, for her to have kept a journal of her travels - after all, what had she to add to the myriad existing accounts of the world? But there was something special about documenting her own thoughts and observations. "Well, I grew up in the Hollowed Grounds, and after my guardian died, I explored a bit there. Then I went to the Greatwood. I took a skyship to Torchline, briefly, and then flew over here, to the Oerwoud. So... not very many places. Not yet, anyway."
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
Intending to oblige at the offer, and acceptance, he strung watery elements and fixtures together. Incantations maneuvered and snagged, pulling away stray droplets and dampened pages, until the paper was completely dry, if a bit wrinkled, and the rest evaporated into the midst of his calloused palms. It’d be able to last a little longer, at the very least, without being broken and snapped.

His jaw clenched again at the notions of the Hollowed Grounds, but strived to let the moments and figments pass, tilting his head as he continued to peruse the journal with a discerning eye. “Do you intend to explore everywhere?” The segments of the Draig would be ill-advised, given his own experiences, but she could likely access mostly everywhere else, if she was snagging at skyships.
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Sohalia
Soh watched with interest as Deimos strained the water gently from her journal. She'd never really been around magic. It wasn't that she had anything against magic - if anything, she found it fascinating - but it just hadn't been that common for her growing up. Now that she was out in the world, though, she supposed she would get used to it. There were sure to be many others with such talents in her travels.

"I'd like to explore everything I can," she admitted. She leaned forward ever-so-slightly, peering at her journal in Deimos's hands to see what pages he was perusing so thoroughly. "It's interesting. I never really thought I'd get to go out and see the world, but here I am." Her face fell a little. It had only taken the death of those she held dear to get her here. But she shook off the sorrow quickly - it was something to deal with another time. "I like learning about things. The different areas, and their flora and fauna. I want to learn as much as I can!"
Deimos Ignatius
the Resurrected Sword

Change author:
DEIMOS
“It takes time to figure out where to go in life,” he shrugged, because natural occurrences often guided them through struggles, hardships, goals, and purposes. Just as Sohalia had found connections with exploration, with unfurling and uncovering the world around her, he’d adjusted to protection, sheltering, and guarding at a young age – persistent throughout each life and year. “At least many can be accessed by skyship,” shortening her routes and travels tremendously.

The others…she’d have to manage in other ways. Head tilting vaguely, an insinuation of machinations, networks, thoughts, and patterns snaking their way through his mind, he tapped on a drawing, outlines of land. “Have you considered making maps? There are quite a few travelers who would want something similar.” Domains marked with scrawls of notes and details, hints and deliberations.