Divine inspiration
Open!
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
One night a month Hadama could leave the water, and tonight was one such night.

He had prepared himself as best he could, studying maps of semi-mythical Stormbreak and planning his route. Now that Safrin had given him a clue he could see the details he had missed in his earlier searching; though in truth he had never considered the floating city, thinking it too far beyond his reach.

But that had changed recently.

Tonight his Aquaportation had allowed him entry to the Eye of the Storm. From there he had pulled himself onto dry land and shifted his fins for legs, his waist clad in the long, dark wrap-skirt that he found easiest to deal with. A fawn-colored vest gave him an air of human respectability as he strode off across the city at his best pace, his trident wrapped for anonymity's sake and used as a balancing aid at first. He moved faster as his legs steadied and he adapted to the strange method of locomotion, cutting through the Silk Houses and nodding at those that called out to him for various entertainments without stopping.

Across the bridge he finally went and up the stairs within the observatory. He did not bother those at the telescope but instead went to one of the windows ringing the top of the edifice and unrolled his map, holding it up as he pointed it towards the Mistbanks with cautious optimism.
Octavius Acanthio Belefort
Dragoon

Age: 25 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 10 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Crow Offline
Change author:
MP: 225
Octavius
The Spyglass had become one of Octavius' favorite buildings in the city since he discovered it one night, wandering alone and not wanting to return home. It was grandiose and imposing; even the way inside was a bit of an adventure, as you had to walk a ways from the city across a long stone bridge to get there. He had looked in the telescope once or twice to admire the stars, but he didn't know much about astronomy and thus wasn't very interested in looking for long. What he enjoyed the most was the view of Stormbreak from high up in the air: its twinkling lights, nighttime revelers, and alabaster buildings under the moon's gaze.

He enjoyed looking upon the city in this way because here is where he felt that it was his city most. He could identify buildings and places across the landscape, notice where construction was happening or a redesign was taking place. Recently, he noticed some streetlamps had been placed in the Silk Houses; this was a great addition that pleased Octavius with its practicality and addition of safety to the area.

As he continued to admire the view from the window, he heard someone come into the space and turned to see a man wearing a vest and wrap skirt, looking to the northwest and pulling out a map. Curious at the unusual garb, never mind the fact that barely anybody came up to this area of the Spyglass in general, Octavius figured he would be polite and greet him.

"Hello there. Lovely night tonight, isn't it?" he said, turning away from the window to meet eyes with the stranger.
i could stop dreaming and start believing in forever and ever and ever again

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: OOC Account | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Clever King. It took some doing, but finally, here you are.

As Hadama raises the map, the parchment will begin to wrinkle and fold, scrunching itself down into the rough approximation of a monocle. When grasped, the paper will seemingly burn away revealing glass and gold below. There are no tool marks on the lens or frame, suggesting it was divinely made, there is the following fraction: 4/5. I wonder what that means.

Varylens | A golden monocle that can see through even the strongest of illusions, at a range of 10m.
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
The way the parchment twisted and writhed in his hands was a startling sensation, and Hadama's jaw tightened as he struggled to maintain his grip on the shifting paper. It folded itself down, changing shape in his fingers until it took on its new form and the paper revealed itself as something much different beneath. He considered the monocle with quiet surprise and curiosity, but before he could investigate further a voice called out from behind him and he turned to face the other man in the room.

Tall and well-favored, with the muscles and bearing of a soldier, the merman noted. But he didn't seem to be on duty or guarding the Observatory. His manner was amiable and courteous, and the stoic Tidebreaker responded in kind.

"Indeed," he rumbled, inclining his head even as he slid the monocle into a pouch at his belt. "I am Hadama. A pleasure to meet you."
Dragoon

Age: 25 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Octavius
Octavius couldn't see the transformation as Hadama's back had been turned, but when he looked back to respond to Octavius' greeting, the map he was holding had vanished. Instead, the man tucked something small away in his belt. Octavius watched this, puzzlement forming in a wrinkle between his brows, but made no comment.

The man was courteous and kind, so Octavius nodded his head in return. "I am Octavius Belefort. The pleasure is all mine. Do you visit here often? I only just discovered it myself." Perhaps there was someone else in the city who liked taking in the view as much as he. Previously he had assumed there were little to no other visitors to this part of the celestial tower.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Octavius did not ask and so Hadama did not answer, but he was quietly pleased at the return of courtesy and he inclined his head a second time as the other man introduced himself. "Octavius," he repeated, making sure he had the pronunciation right on the foreign name - although at the moment he was the foreign one, and the thought caused a glimmer of good humor in his emerald eyes.

"It is my first time here," he admitted easily. "To Stormbreak. I am from Torchline." And only in town for one night, though perhaps that revelation was one that could wait a few more minutes. "It is a beautiful city." He paused, looking at the view out a different window for a moment, facing the city and the lanterns and torches that sparkled throughout it at night. "Do you live here?"
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius recognized the region's name as Hadama said it, Torchline. He had visited once or twice as a child and remembered its beautiful weather and tropical humidity, but not much else. Perhaps he should go back sometime soon. It was relatively close on skyship.

As Hadama complimented Stormbreak, looking out at the skyline, Octavius had to smile and do the same. The light of the full moon fell down across his features as he gazed appreciatively.

"I welcome you to Stormbreak, then. It is indeed a beautiful city." As he said this he turned back to the stranger, observing him. He was regal in a way that felt familiar to Octavius. "Yes, my family has lived here for generations. Through all its highs and lows." It always impressed an intense weight upon Octavius when he considered this, when he thought about the ways in which his family shaped the very walls of this city. How he felt responsible to shape things here too, even as the eighth son.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
As he listened to Octavius, Hadama continued to observe the human city and the strange view of being above it. In the dark it had similarities to the Underwater City, particularly in the scattering of lights, but the shapes of the buildings those lights outlined were as square and blocky as those of Haulani instead of the rounded curves and water-supported spiraling spires of the Mer city. It was a strange and almost dreamlike juxtaposition, but the other man's words helped to keep him anchored in the moment.

He nodded gravely, finally pulling his eyes away from the view and turning them on his companion. Emerald eyes were bright with interest against the dark skin of his serenely stoic face and he tilted his head slightly in a questioning manner. "What does your family do?" he asked, politely curious. Not all families held to a single craft or calling, but some did, and he couldn't help but wonder at Octavius's vocation.
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Octavius smiled and looked back out over the city at Hadama's question, thinking carefully about his words before answering. There wasn't one thing that his family did, after all. It wasn't like they specialized in any trade. If anything, they were just good at managing money and predicting what arts and businesses in the city might be successful if only they were funded. Many of the more artistically designed buildings in the city were funded by Belefort money, for example. So, he just went with the history he was told in classrooms by his tutor when he was a child.

"Our family started as farmers, when we first settled here and Stormbreak was nothing more than a village. Then, as the population grew, so did our business, and we ended up having land in our ownership that would be better used for development than farming. Some buildings from that time still stand to this day." They weren't numerous, but some of the smaller temples and residential buildings did date back to that time, albeit heavily refurbished. "I have been serving as a Dragoon of Stormbreak as of late, although my family doesn't entirely approve. They are a regiment of soldiers stationed permanently in Stormbreak to protect citizens and maintain order."
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama appreciated the silence while Octavius gathered his thoughts. He was normally someone who considered his own words before speaking them and it was a trait he respected in others as well. It also gave him more time to admire the view and drink in the strange beauty of the city above the clouds, which he was more than happy to do as he savored the new experience.

He listened both to what the other man did say, and what he did not. The mention of the Dragoons had the Tidebreaker nodding slowly in recognition, however, and it was his turn to cast a thoughtful gaze out over the scenery below. "It sounds like an honorable position," he said slowly, each word carefully chosen before he uttered it. "Why would they not approve of it?"
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
It wasn't as if Hadama's question was unexpected, but still Octavius did not feel enthused to answer. There was a part of him that never wanted to speak ill of the Belefort name, something to do with family loyalty that was ingrained in him from childhood. However, now that he was an adult, he was learning that his family wasn't as perfect as they presented themselves to be. After a bit of thought, he decided on a middle way.

"I do think it's honorable; that's why I joined," he started, in order to make his feelings clear. "However, my family thinks of it as low class, something for the peasantry to pursue. Considering the power they hold as armed soldiers, I tend to disagree. They think I will resign within the year, but I'm determined to prove them wrong." He gave Hadama a little smile at this. Something about Octavius was that if someone told him he couldn't do something, it made him much more likely to do it.
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
There was not, it seemed, an easy answer. But then, when dealing with family there never was. When Octavius again took his time to consider whether or not to answer and how to best do so the merman showed only patience and a solemn respect for how carefully the younger man chose his words.

Though his stoic expression revealed little, his steely eyebrows did rise a bit in surprise at hearing the profession declared 'low class' and Hadama tilted his head at his human companion in bemusement. "...I see," he mused thoughtfully, wondering how the human's family would react to a king who had previously been a humble smith and simple chef before coming into his crown.

"I wish you success, then." He inclined his head respectfully to the resolute soldier. Uncertain of what else to say, he paused a moment and then nodded again as he came to a decision.

"It has been a pleasure, Octavius. If you ever visit Stormbreak, I hope you will seek me out."
Dragoon

Change author:
Octavius
Hadama didn't give much away in his expression as he replied in few words to Octavius' explanation. This confused Octavius, making him a little nervous about what this man was truly thinking. The simple lift of his brows betrayed little, after all, and could just well be disdain. He then inclined his head before announcing his leave, all politeness as he had been throughout the short conversation. Octavius almost wanted to stop him; he had barely been able to ask the man any questions, after all. But his own mannerly habits prevented him from doing so. If the man wanted to leave, why should Octavius stop him?

"Thank you, Hadama. I do have some family in Torchline; perhaps we will meet again in the future." He nodded to Hadama with a polite smile as he replied, waiting for the man to leave before he turned around to look back out onto the nighttime landscape of Stormbreak.

--FIN--