searching for grace
For Ronin
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 4 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 21 - Int:
TARAK - Mythical - Griffin (Fire Breath)
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
Everyone wants to see heaven
But no one wants to say goodbye
It was nice to be able to say good things about someone's son, especially when it seemed that perhaps someone in the past had had some not-so-nice things to say about Mateo. She couldn't imagine why, of course, but there was certainly a reason that Ronin had felt the need to apologize for the botanist's potential behavior. So she nodded and smiled; Mateo did have a good heart, and even though he seemed primarily to be concerned with having a good time, he was quite brilliant in his own way - at least in Soh's opinion.

"I've been here since..." she thought back. "Just since Flowerbirth, so not terribly long, but..." She trailed off. It was even more ridiculous that she was now the leader of a land she'd scarcely lived in. She stifled a sigh. "It's a wonderful place. I'm not sure what all is new since you lived here, but the Eye is my favorite place, I think. Even when there are a lot of people here, it brings peace and beauty to the city." But he was talking about the Spyglass, and she said as much. "The Spyglass is an observatory. It's got a massive telescope for looking at the stars, but it's also a great place to just look out over Caido. It's a nice vantage point," she said. "I go there often to map the terrain. I'm a cartographer, you see."
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 81 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3101
I shouldn't laugh, but I know I'm a failure in your eyes
They share opinions in that regard, at least - Mateo has inherited Remi's intellect and eye for detail, making him quite brilliant when he puts his mind to it. He's just also got a lot of other traits that neither Taliesin can rightly claim, but he supposes that's what makes the boy a complete person in his own right. (And then some, given the vibrance of his personality).

"Oh, wow. So you didn't know Stormbreak when it was still on the ground?" he says with a curious smile. "It was still pretty high up against the cliffs, but you could see the ocean a lot easier from the Falling." And as for what's new, Ronin listens with interest as Soh explains the springs and the Spyglass, his brows furrowing a bit - he knows well that the name for the place also used to be a position in the Order, but that was long before Soh's arrival. (And little does he know about her council).

"A cartographer? That must take you all over the place," he remarks. "If the Cordillera ever becomes safe enough to visit, you should try mapping it out. It's beautiful up there."
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Age: 20 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
"I didn't," Soh admitted with a smile. "I grew up in the Hollowed Grounds, and I didn't leave the Grounds until after Stormbreak was in the sky." It was a shame, all the things she hadn't seen because of her time in the Grounds. There was so much out in the world, so much to learn - and yet so much of her life had been spent in one place. She hadn't known what she was missing at the time, of course, but now that she did... well, she couldn't help but lament the travel she'd missed out on, even if her time in the Grounds had saved her from the worst of the war.

"I would love to map the Cordillera, one day," she agreed. "I've traveled all over, except for the more dangerous locations in Caido. I have a shop around the Pacifist Plaza, if you're ever interested." Then she sighed. "But I doubt I'll be traveling as much in the near future. I -" Then she remembered who she was talking to, and she hesitated. Still, if anyone could understand, it would surely be the former Commander. "I, um... volunteered recently to lead Stormbreak," she admitted, wincing as she anticipated the usual assumptions that she was too young and inexperienced. "So my responsibilities are here, for now."
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Letting out a low whistle at the mention of the Grounds, Ronin flashes her a knowing smile. "Between you and me, I'm always proud when anyone says they're from the Grounds," he admits. "I started off there as well. It's quite the place, right?" And sure, things have changed now (presumably for the better) but he'll always remember the barrier, the Longnight monsters, the mutant everythings, the Spire. Scars fade, but they never truly disappear.

Nodding gently, Ronin does make a mental note to drop by her shop in the Plaza before he returns home to Remi. He's sure his husband will fall over himself at a chance to pore over some of the newer maps of Caido, especially with the ways the land has changed. She continues, though, and before he can ask more about it, the revelation tumbles out. And Ronin's eyebrows do raise, but it's in surprise rather than judgement.

"Wow," he says, riding the words out on a laugh. "That's much more than a cartographer. Congratulations - and good luck with it. I'm sure the place is in safe hands."
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
The Grounds were indeed quite the place, and Soh returned Ronin's smile with one of her own. "It's a shame that so many people had bad experiences in the Grounds," she said. "I don't know that it will ever recover from the mass exodus after the barrier fell." She was fortunate to have missed most of the negative events, hidden away in a small village and sheltered by her guardian, but she'd learned enough by now of the goings-on that she was surprised she hadn't been more impacted. Still, to her the Grounds would always be the place that had claimed her parents and then her guardian, and she couldn't bring herself to confront those ghosts by returning to the region.

Normally, Soh would use the opportunity to show an example of her maps or describe their rather unique properties - she annotated them and added in sketches and notes about various plants, wildlife, and points of interest - but her mind was, understandably, on other things today. As Ronin offered his congratulations, Soh smiled, her expression a little tired, but also grateful. "Thank you," she said. "I'm not completely sure what I'm doing, but I do have a council to help me, so hopefully we'll manage," she added with a small laugh. She was sure that she would rely heavily on her council in the days and weeks to come.
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
Humming his agreement, Ronin's brow furrows at his lingering memories of the place, blighted and crawling with monsters, rife with conflict only made worse by the brewing unease between the Old Gods and the New. "It has been almost two years since the war ended, and I still haven't heard much from the place," he admits; Sohalia is probably right, and the place might never recover.

But there are more interesting things to discuss apart from the Hollowed Grounds, and the Supernova lends her his full attention as talk turns to her leadership - and how about that? "I'm sure you will more than manage," he says reassurringly. "I didn't have a council when I took command of the place, but I wish I had. Can I ask what made you decide to volunteer?"
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
Ronin's reassurance did more than he probably knew to assuage her fears; to have someone who had previously led the region take her announcement in stride at least reassured her that perhaps she wasn't totally mad. She was under no illusions: she was sure that leadership would have its share of difficulties, but perhaps they would be manageable. After all, she wasn't alone. She trusted her council, and she really thought they had a chance to make a positive difference for the region.

"I'm not sure," she said slowly, stroking Tarak as she thought. "I just - Stormbreak has been rudderless for a while. There's no one to make decisions that need to be made, and nobody else seemed willing." She had tried to organize leadership other than herself, but nobody she'd approached wanted it. "I just want to do my best to make Stormbreak better. I want it to be safe and prosperous. And I want us to be prepared, in case something ever happens that we need a leader for." She shrugged. "I don't think I'm the best choice, but I think I was the only choice. And I know that I'll do my best for Stormbreak; somebody else, even if they were an option, might not."

She sighed, settling back against the bench, her gaze roving over the hot springs. "I guess it comes down to wanting to do something good. Stormbreak is my home. I want to do what I can to keep it running."
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
She speaks softly and from the heart in a way that almost reminds Ronin of himself in his more naive younger years, the Supernova left smiling warmly at her and nodding his gentle agreement. "You know, I never wanted to lead any of the places I ended up ruling over," he admits. "Being what a region needs rather than doing it out of ambition... I think you're going to be just fine." If she allows he'll reach out to offer her a gentle pat to the shoulder.

"And for what it's worth, I'm sorry," he adds with a wince. "I'm the one who left Stormbreak without a leader after the war. I just didn't have anything left in me for it." Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of his own actions? "But I met with Safrin recently, and I think I'm ready to be out here again. So if you need anything, please let me know. Even if it's just advice, or whatever."
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
The gentle pat on her shoulder took her by surprise, and she smiled with genuine warmth as Ronin said he thought she'd be fine. "Thank you," she said softly, finally relaxing enough to release some of the tension she'd been holding in for days. But then he was apologizing, and she frowned at him. "Oh, no - I didn't mean -" she stammered with dismay. She hadn't meant to blame him, and yet it seemed that that was how he'd taken her words. "I'm sorry," she said. "I wasn't trying to place blame." Well, now she'd done it. Open mouth, insert foot.

But it seemed that Ronin didn't hold it against her; indeed, he was even offering to help her, if he could, and she nodded, grateful. "I'd appreciate that," she said. "I'm sure there will be a lot of changes ahead." She considered for a moment, and then: "Actually, there is something I could use an opinion on, if you don't mind?" She looked at him to make sure it was okay before she continued. "We held a meeting recently, and most of Stormbreak voted to remove the Abandoned defenses. I'm trying to decide how to best go about that. I've heard that Frey is the deity most sympathetic to the Abandoned; if it was you, who would you go to?"
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"You have absolutely nothing to apologise for," Ronin says with warm confidence, shaking his head to her. "I was the one placing blame - because it was my fault," he says. "I'm old and wise enough nowadays to own those decisions. But I'm grateful there are people like you around still willing to step up and take the job on." Because it isn't an easy one, as he's sure Soh already knows.

Humming his agreement regarding the changes to come, he makes a mental note to ensure he drops in on Stormbreak more often, if for no other reason to see how things are going with the Luminary's council and her plans for the region. And of course, always happy to help, Ronin practically dazzles at the opportunity, the Supernova shifting to face her properly as she explains.

"Ah, well," he says with a self-deprecating laugh. "I'm sure you can appreciate that I'm biased. Although you're right - Frey does seem to be more neutral compared to the other heralds - I do think Safrin would enjoy the challenge. And Stormbreak is up in the sky now after all, as close to her stars as it is to the land." Smiling up at the cloudless blue overhead, he leans back on the bench. "And between you and I, she really saved me during that battle at the Tower. I'm not sure what would have become of Stormbreak if she hadn't stepped in that night."
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
On the one hand, Ronin was proving to be a very kind man, just the sort of person who Soh could see leading, and leading well. It was exciting to have made a friend of such an influential person, but it was also humbling. These were the shoes she was trying to fill? And just how did she think she was going to do that? She couldn't help but think that she should be asking him to come back, to take her place, to help her - but if he'd wanted that, he surely would have said as much, no?

In any case, he seemed eager enough to offer his perspective on her current predicament, and she listened with interest as he (unsurprisingly, perhaps) recommended Safrin's assistance with removing the Abandoned defenses. Biting her lip, she hesitated. He made some valid points, and if Safrin had cared enough then to step in and help Stormbreak, then perhaps she would care enough to help them with their quest now. But Soh couldn't shake the unease that she felt about the goddess. "What can you tell me about Safrin? I've never worked with her before, and I've heard - mixed opinions," she said diplomatically.
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
Shifting to get more comfortable on the bench - and glancing around for a second, as if hoping he might find a stall selling cocoa or snacks or something - Ronin nonetheless settles in to talk shop (i.e. Safrin) with Stormbreak's new leader. And her diplomatic choice of words does earn a hearty laugh from the Supernova, Ronin flashing Soh a lopsided smile for her trouble. "If nothing else, people do not forget the lady of the stars," he remarks, before growing a touch more serious.

"She is an easy goddess to love," he tells her honestly. "Loyalty and respect go further than any offering, with Safrin. Not that you shouldn't always bring an offering to a shrine anyway," he adds. "But I normally find that those who do not have anything good to say about her have not offered her the proper respect. Safrin gives as good as she receives," he explains, his smile growing warm.

"She brought me back from the dead, you know," Ronin continues. "I died fighting the Spire Demon, back when the Grounds was still behind the barrier. But Safrin placed me in her stars, and brought me back as her demigod. I didn't ask for that. But I'm grateful every day that she did it."
RONIN
Sohalia Lumaris
the Luminary
Cartographer

Change author:
At least she'd managed not to offend Safrin's demigod, and she offered a rueful smile as he laughed heartily at her attempt at diplomacy. She listened with interest to Ronin's account of the goddess. SO far, Soh had only heard cautionary tales of Safrin, but this was something else entirely. For the first time, the Luminary began to understand why some chose to follow her. And if loyalty and respect was all that was required, well, Soh had those in spades. Perhaps she'd been too quick to listen to the opinions of others before actually meeting Safrin to see for herself.

"Thank you for telling me," she murmured softly, scratching beneath Tarak's chin. Her young companion perched still on her lap, looking remarkably loaf-like, his paws tucked underneath himself and his eyes half-shut. "It's hard, sometimes, to think of the gods as, well... people?" she said. "It's so easy to picture them as removed from the world, but they're really not, are they?" Perhaps it was a bit more of a philosophical discussion than either of them had been aware that they were entering into. Shaking her head, Soh wrinkled her nose. "Sorry, I think I got distracted," she said with a laugh. "I'll think about what you said, about seeking out Safrin."
But no one wants to die
Sohalia
Ronin Taliesin
the White Knight

Change author:
"Any time," Ronin says sunnily, smiling down at Tarak and stifling the sudden urge to reach out and smooth his fingers across the gryphon's soft feathers. (It's probably not unlike the urge to tickle a cat's belly, and just as bad a decision). Ultimately deciding to keep his fingers this afternoon, he listens with interest as Soh continues.

"I think some are more than others. Safrin likes to be a part of things, though. All the better for us." He can't really comment too much on the human-or-not nature of the gods, because Ronin has been privileged enough to see more facets of the lady of the stars than many. It isn't his place to share that; and besides, Soh is already moving on.

"I don't think you'll regret it," he says, of seeing Safrin. "And if you need any help with anything she requires, please just let me know. For now, I don't suppose you feel like getting something to eat? I know a place in the Pacifist Plaza that serves an all-day breakfast. Providing it's still there, of course."
RONIN