vivi e lascia vivere
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 17 - Int: 0
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601
Mateo

Understanding very little of what Everest wants to do (his usually sharp mind is a very blunt instrument today, apologies), Mateo nonetheless nods dumbly along and lets the aviator attach whatever part of him to his belt that he likes. "Good thing I wore one today," he says of his own belt - and no, his sense of time is not the best currently either. "Okay. I am ready."

He isn't, but it's happening, so there's no point saying otherwise. With his ankle screaming as soon as he forces it to do anything other than be prone, the botanist hisses a few of his favourite travelling tongue curses and persuades his body to move towards the tunnel. Extracting himself from the last of the roots is an unpleasant and painful affair, but he does eventually manage to start crawling back the way he came.

"I am sorry, Ever," he mumbles into the echoing cavern of the Grotto's tunnel, heading towards the light winking up ahead.
I wanna wake up
Can't even tell if this is a dream
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 6 - Strg: 27 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 5 - Int: 0
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 2759
Everest
Taking deep and even breaths, Everest forces his mind to concentrate only on the immediate task instead of the myriad of other complaints that it wants answers to. 'You don't have to apologize to me.'  The aviator says, though his words are muffled slightly by the fact that he has lowered his head, and is trying his best not to breathe in the dust and debris kicked up by Mateo's shoes. Note, what he hadn't said was you don't have to apologize, because it wasn't up to Ever to absolve Mateo of whatever wrongdoing he felt the need to say sorry for; only that no matter what trouble he found himself in, apologies were never needed.

Adding claustrophobia to his list of panic-attack-inducing phobias, Ever begins to hum one of the songs that Vai had sung to them often as boys when they were helping her with her gardening. It was the sort of song meant to while away the time and to keep you focused on the task of hand, making it quite appropriate just now Everest thought.
I've done the math, checked the facts
And there's no changing that
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Age: 23 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Mateo

"No, I do," Mateo insists as he continues to drag himself towards the surface, doing his best not to make things more difficult for Ever as he goes. "I am always making trouble for you, and it is not fair. You should not have even had to come looking for me." Because he should have been at home, or in one of the very easy to locate Mateo-places, doing his usual bullshit to while away life.

It feels like an eternity before he wriggles free of the Grotto's tunnels, but when he does the air around them is cool and sweet, and there's a very nicely signposted trail only a few metres away that will lead them back up towards the Falling and where la Verbena sways lazily in the breeze. "Thank you for your help."
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Age: 22 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Everest
"This isn't trouble." Ever replies in a perfectly neutral Everest-tone. This wasn't trouble, it was just being friends with Mateo and though it came with stress, so did absolutely everything in the aviator's life.

Light and fresh air go a long way to relaxing Ever's shoulders, though as they emerge topside, the aviator is in no hurrying to do anything other than box-breathe until his blood pressure has gone down. 'Can we sit a minute? Or several, I'm not sure how long I'll need.' He asks, blinking up at Mateo as he tugs softly on his belt.

'You're very welcome. I'm sorry for finding you if you didn't want to be found.' The aviator mumbles guiltily as he tries his best to brush the dirt from his shoulders and pant legs.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

"I disagree, but I am glad you do not think so," Mateo mumbles, turning and levering his leg out straight so he can look at his dumb, sprained ankle with a resigned sigh. Nodding, he lets the aviator sit beside him and get as comfortable as one can get sitting atop the Grotto with a trail climb back home to look forward to. While Ever box breathes and tries to contain himself, Mateo gazes out across the arguably gorgeous view beyond the edge of Stormbreak somewhat miserably.

"It is alright. I think I was ready to be found by the time you came by," he admits, furrowing his brow. "I was having an episode of melancholy." Which is a slightly more prescriptive way of saying the botanist had fallen into one of his moods; Ever's mother would probably have some sort of diagnosis for him, if he had ever bothered to go and see her about it.
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"I'm happy to hear your arguments if you want to make them." The aviator replies, eyebrows raised softly. If Mateo truly thought Ever should interpret these situations as being trouble, he would hear his friend out. That's what friends did, after all. Or, at least that's what friends like Everest did.

'Good timing, then.' This isn't a phrase that comes naturally to the aviator, as he always thought that it was rather strange to ascribe a normative stance to something objective like time, but he'd learned what the phrase meant confidently enough to use it. 'Oh.' Turning toward his friend while also trying to replace his belt around his waist, Ever frowns slightly as his eyes scan the unfamiliar crowding of wrinkles near his friend's eyes.

"I don't have a blanket to offer you or anything to drink, but would you like to tell me about it?" Tobi might have scripted this sentence for her son given how practiced it came out, but it was no less genuine despite the borrowed words.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

Rather than providing said arguments - his head is starting to feel as though it is filled with bees again - Mateo merely grumbles something that he hopes Ever will disregard enough not to press the issue. Raking a hand through dusty curls and wondering how many bruises he's given himself over the course of the past 36 hours, the botanist huffs a sigh deep enough to drag his shoulders down. Every part of him aches, but he's not sure he wants to lay down in case he goes to sleep right there.

"You are always so kind, Ever," he murmurs; it's true, scripted or not, the aviator always does his best with the resources he has available to him. "I was just beginning to feel like there was no point in doing anything," he admits. "I do not have any idea what to do with my life. Not in the way some people seem to expect." It hasn't been explicit, but speaking lately with Remi, Paige, Sohalia, even Flora and Everest - it's caused something to start niggling in the back of the botanist's mind.

"Am I meant to find somebody to settle down with, do you think? Is that is what is supposed to happen, even if I do not want it?"
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Listening with quietly confused eyes and gently fidgeting fingers, Ever looks up into the cloudless sky for a moment before reaching around and placing his arm over Mateo's shoulders. It was an awkward gesture to be sure, all stiff limbed and splayed fingers, and indeed the few pat pat pats from his palm would look not unlike certain gifs we've all seen. Even so, it was the gesture that counted, or at least, that Everest very much hope counted.

"I'm not sure how to answer that." The aviator replies, his fingers curling around Mateo's shoulder. "I think if you want to live the life that most people prescribe to others, then yes that's what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to say you don't want it, but then you find someone who fits against you like a puzzle piece you didn't know that you were missing and then all the romance songs suddenly make sense." If Ever's words have taken on an abruptly greeting-card quality, it's because that's exactly where he's got these sorts of sentiments from.

"But if you want to live a life that makes you happy, then no I don't think you should try and do that at all. Although...if not having some sort of goal to work toward is making you unhappy then perhaps you could try and find one." He adds, not shrugging exactly because he doesn't want to shift against Mateo, but raising one shoulder just the same.
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

Having let his gaze go somewhere off into the distance beyond the edge of Stormbreak, Mateo abruptly brings himself back into focus to feel an unexpected arm around his shoulders. Were this anyone else it would have been easy to simply fold against them in a way that is typical of the botanist, but given that the comfort is being offered by Ever of all people, he doesn't take it for granted.

And the advice that comes spilling from the aviator's lips is wise beyond having any right to be, Mateo blinking up at his friend with eyes that are suddenly a bit misty. "Thank you," he murmurs. "I do not know why, but I really needed to hear that today Ever." Letting out a long and shivering sigh, the botanist lets his eyes drop unhappily to his ankle.

"I think at the moment my goal is to get home and take a shower, and maybe eat something," he admits. "Would you mind coming with me?"
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
Glancing down at Mateo, the aviator's eyebrows draw together as he notes the sheen of tears misting over the botanist's. Quietly unsure if he had said something hurtful despite Mateo's thanks, Everest just blinks down at the botanist and nods stiffly. 'You're welcome.'

Considering this, and given how upset his friend appeared to be, Ever nods yet again. Only in his mind he has agreed to go home, shower, and eat with Mateo, as per the botanist's phrasing. It's no trouble though; it's just part of being friends with Mateo.

"Yes I will. Would you like to lean against me on the way home so you don't have to put weight on your ankle? Or..I could give you a piggy back ride?"
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

It's no trouble for Mateo either - if Ever really wanted to shower with him, that wouldn't bother him in the slightest, though that's been clear for longer than they've been the men they are today. "I will try and walk on my own," he says tentatively. "You have already been so helpful even though it must have made you uncomfortable. But if I need to lean on you, I will ask."

So saying, Mateo glances around and spots a blessedly large stick nearby; some other walker must have had a similar issue or idea, and had left an impromptu hiking stick behind. Levering himself onto his feet and hobbling towards it, he tests it in his hands and offers the aviator a small smile when it proves serviceable. "Alright," he says. "I am ready to climb."
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
'Okay.' So long as Mateo would ask, Everest would let his friend take the lead. Unlike his mother who would self-sacrifice herself until there was nothing left at all, Everest had enough self-preservation to stop short of carving himself up for the benefit of others. Or at least, he'd need to be asked to do so.

It's companionable silence (he thinks) that lingers between them as they make their way up the steep climb. Everest's mind is filled with thoughts of his upcoming re-test for his pilot's license, and though he's been used as free labour practicing being around people at Flora's tavern, he isn't quite sure he's got the hang of it. 'Is there always so much touching in Taverns?' The aviator asks without context. "It seems to me that there are certain places where informal contact occurs much more frequently, regardless of the normal patron-server boundary."
Mateo Taliesin
Botanist

Change author:
Mateo

It is companionable, the botanist focusing on his breathing and on not putting too much weight on his bad ankle, letting the hiking stick do most of the walking for him. "Mm?" He glances up towards Ever as he breaks the silence, Mateo glad to see the Falling already coming into view; soon enough he hopes to be tucked up in his boat with tea and soup and pajamas. For now, though - taverns.

"Yes, I think so," he admits. "Taverns are places where alcohol flows freely, and so inhibitions are naturally lower than they otherwise might be." It feels like an explanation Ever would be able to accept, anyway. "Lowered inhibitions can lead to more impulsive behaviour, such as... touching strangers, I suppose." Offering a soft smile to Ever's back, he tilts his head. "Why, has that happened to you?"
I wanna wake up
Everest Hart
Aviator

Change author:
Everest
"I"m not sure I understand the relationship between lowered inhibitions and simply being inappropriate or rude." But the addition of impulsiveness seems to be believable given the way the lines of tension smooth out on Ever's forehead before he nods. "Yes. It started with people patting my arm when they were paying, and though I didn't like it Flora told me that some people use that sort of touch as a way of communicating appreciation. But then-"

Colour rises into Ever's cheeks, and though it's absolutely in response to the subject matter, it isn't because he's embarrassed. Rather, it's guilt that blushes his skin and pinks the tips of his ears. Guilt over not being able to just be normal and okay with things the way most people were. "then there were people sliding their arms around my waist when they weren't even trying to get back. I had a woman try and hold my hand after I delivered her drink, and another who put a hand on my thigh and as far as I can see, those aren't indications of appreciation."