[SE] i think i am finally clean
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: RayoDeSoleil Offline
Change author:
MP: 3230
This scene feels like what I once saw on a screen
I searched 'aurora borealis green'
Liam was settling well into his new home, and he had begun to take a certain level of pride in the Greatwood. As such, he felt it his duty to do what he could to maintain and improve the region. On this particular day in Deepfrost, he found himself at the Observatory, standing at its base and looking up into the snow-covered branches. He scowled up at the heavily laden tree, concerned about any number of things, all having to do with snow accumulation. Any of those branches that broke beneath the weight could do a great deal of damage to anything below.

He hoped that the notices he'd posted around town to bring people together to prepare for Longnight would work. He'd never really led anything before, except perhaps a few soldiers here and there as he rose in the Dragoon ranks. He was much more accustomed to following orders. Still, how hard could it be to corral a few citizens to help around the Greatwood?

------

This is an open PQ to prepare for Longnight! Please post your characters arriving, and we'll get started!

1. Liam
2. Hadama
3. Iskra
I've never seen someone lit from within
Blurring out my periphery
Liam
the Tidebreaker
King of the Merfolk / Chef

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 44 - Dext: 35 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 0
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5305
As part of building stronger ties between Torchline and the Greatwood, and in earnest of his offer to help the other regions, Hadama used his Aquaportation to occasionally visit and check in on his friends around Caido. It was during one such visit that, upon asking a passing Fae to share some notices pinned to a tree, he learned of the upcoming plan to help the forest prepare for LongNight.

At the appointed time and place a mermanta arrived in the waters that flowed near the base of the Observatory tree, startling a few whisper fish. His steely hair was braided back, but aside from a few adornments (i.e. his magical items) he hadn't bothered with any symbols of his rank. He seemed strangely comfortable in the chilly, frosty waters as he looked around for someone in charge. Spotting Liam, he swam over to the nearest shore and nodded a respectful greeting to the human man.

"I am Hadama. How can I help?"
Iskra Firestorm
Woodcutter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 0 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 2 - Int:
Played by: Blusl Offline
Change author:
MP: 20
I will still be here, stargazing
Iskra had exited the skyport into the Greatwoods with a big breath. He had never actually been to this city before - he had not been to many places admittedly after sequestering himself into the frozen world of Halo. The arrival of winter was enough of an excuse to get out of Halo for a change of scenery, and while the magical bubble made sure he didn't freeze his dick off, it was still cold as shit. For this exact reason, is why Iskra traveled alone, for once. Goose, his dog, also known as his shadow, refused to leave a particularly enticing snowdrift. Not especially in the mood to go head to head with a stubborn husky in the snow, Iskra let him be, figuring it for the best. Magical woods and climbing were trouble abound for the mongrel, of that he was certain.

Iskra figured if he was going to sightsee and soak up some scraps of remaining good weather, he ought to at least arrive ready to help. A large sack of chopped logs that he'd slung on his back slowed him considerably as he navigated the city, wondering who best to take this free firewood. He was uncertain of it at first, wondering if it might upset the trees to see their kin felled. Then he thought that surely he was mad because how else did the inhabitants cook and keep warm if not with fire, and wood to feed its voracious appetite? Then he thought, perhaps an offering of Halo's wood would (hah) be helpful because then it meant they wouldn't have to cut down as many of their trees, and therefore, no one should be upset with him. In fact, maybe the Greatwood and the Halo trees were mortal enemies. Did trees that moved all the time have enough sentience to hate and form grudges? He'd have to ask Koa the next time he saw him.

Thinking, and wandering, and quickly growing tired of lugging around the corpses of relatives to this town, Iskra paused at the next person he set sights on. "Hey!" he called out, dropping his sack with a giant thud and an overly loud groan as he reached up and stretched his back. "Need some wood for Longnight?" On his hip, hung from his belt, Iskra's handy axe gleamed. Finishing his stretch, he followed the gaze Liam had left on the heavy branches, something of which Iskra had good experience with. "And a hand making more?"

Shit, hopefully it was okay to say that out loud and he wasn't about to whomped by a willow.
Iskra
code by sky
Liam Dawson

Age: 32 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Liam was not a particularly political man, but there were a few names that he knew for various reasons, and he'd never thought that the likes of him would be meeting those select few rulers of Caido. So when none other than Hadama, the King of the Merfolk, appeared on the banks of the river near the Observatory, Liam couldn't help but stare for a moment. The mermanta was not at all what Liam had pictured, and introduced himself without any pomp or circumstance that Liam might have imagined. He shouldn't be surprised, of course - he knew Phoebe and Ronin well, and both either were or had been leaders once upon a time. He just tended to think that rulers would be... well, above the common folk, in one way or another.

The brief moment of pause passed, and Liam cleared his throat, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "Forgive me, I was lost in thought," he said respectfully. "I am Liam. It's nice to meet you, Hadama."

It was then that another newcomer arrived - someone Liam did not recognize as a Greatwood resident. And by now, he knew most of them, if only because there weren't that many. A part of him sized up the stranger, instinctively falling into the role of a soldier to analyze if the stranger would be a threat. The rest of him, though, offered a friendly smile. "I'm sure the wood will be put to good use," he said. "If you'll set it just there, we can sort it out in a bit. I'm Liam, by the way."

Looking at his two new companions, Liam glanced back up at the Observatory. "I'm from Stormbreak originally, so this is my first Deepfrost here in the Greatwood. I'm worried about the area - some of these trees look like they're going to snap under the weight of all that snow, and that could cause some damage." He paused for a moment, thinking. "If we could scout the area, and try to identify any potential hazards, that would be a great place to start."

------

Round 1

Explore the area, looking for any potential wintery hazards. No post order!
Liam
the Tidebreaker

Age: 38 | Height: 6'6" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Liam wasn't the first person to pause upon finding a man surfacing from the water nearby. Admittedly, Hadama was used to the reaction being because he was a Mer rather than a King, but either way he had quite a bit of practice in waiting politely for the human in question to process his appearance. "It is a pleasure, Liam," the mermanta rumbled, and then a third man joined them.

Hadama inclined his head in greeting to the newcomer, courteous if confused. "I am Hadama," he added to Liam's greeting.

He listened and learned a little more of their host and his intentions, and then he tilted his head in agreement. "Yes," he agreed. "I will scout this way."

He swam to the east of the Observatory, following one of the Greatwood's many streams. He spotted several large trees that carried an amount of snow that he thought looked dangerous. Two of them overhung smaller trees that housed Fae buildings and he mentally marked them before returning to their meeting place to report his findings when the other men returned.

Hadama goes east and finds two large trees with heavy snow loads whose branches could snap or collapse on smaller trees/buildings below them.
Iskra Firestorm
Woodcutter

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Iskra had been a little focused on hauling around his wood and navigating a new city that he was only half-jokingly afraid would murder him. Thus he'd been a bit rude, if not entirely dismissive, of the mermanta. In getting a response from Liam though, and setting his wood down with a large thump, Iskra leaned up into a tall stretch and locked eyes on the Tidebreaker. He didn't see many of this kind of being, and his features did not hide that confusion and curiosity. "Hi," he said to both of them, "I'm Iskra."

His attention shifted to Liam as he began to explain, loath as Iskra was to take his gaze off the interesting Hadama. Does he have a penis or does he just float over eggs like a fish? Iskra couldn't keep himself from wondering.

Focus he chastised himself, rubbing at the back of his head as he caught the last of Liam's instructions. "Sure, happy to help," Iskra agreed, striking out opposite the mermanta lest he get distracted once more. Taking in this city's observatory was a treat in and of itself, but Iskra was drawn to some of the railings and steps that would prove slippery, if not fatal if they iced over.

- - - -

Iskra goes west and notices the steps and railings are too slick for icing over.
Iskra
code by sky
Liam Dawson

Change author:
After introductions were made and the two other men were on their way, Liam himself headed south, keeping his eyes peeled for any noticeable hazards. At first, he was relieved to find that there wasn't much to the south - but then he looked up. Icicles hung, suspended from the boughs of the Observatory, large enough that if they fell, they could seriously harm someone passing beneath. With a scowl on his face, he met up with the other men and waited for their reports.

"So," he said after they'd reported their findings. "We've got snow-covered boughs to the east, slippery railings to the west, and hanging icicles to the south." He rubbed the back of his neck with one hand and sighed. "Let's start in the east and work our way around. Here's what we need to do..."

------

Round 2

Let's head east! To get rid of the wintery hazard here, we need to:

- Find a way to remove the snow from the boughs of the trees.
- Clear away some of the boughs overhanging houses and buildings (without damaging the buildings with falling wood).

No post order!
Liam
Iskra Firestorm
Woodcutter

Change author:
"I can handle clearing the boughs," Iskra said swiftly, the confidence in his line of work clear, after they had all shared the problems at hand. He grabbed for the axe at his belt, its metal head gleaming like a smile as he began to head East and gazed at the tree limbs in question. "To be safest, someone should hold them while I cut.". Although Iskra was certain he could maneuver the limbs to fall in a certain way when cut, his work usually didn't have the risk of ruining buildings, since he worked out in the wilderness where a flaw on his end just meant a harder time for himself. Though he was lazy by nature, which meant he did everything possible to avoid making his life more difficult, there was always a chance he could be wrong and he'd rather not get exiled from this lovely city on his first visit.

In a deft motion, Iskra clambered up a nearby tree, his weight balanced evenly on various boughs and lumpy trunk protrusions. With axe in hand, Iskra began to cut into the offending branches, his motions swift but deliberate, the outcome of constant practice.

At least now he knew the trees would not eat him.

- - - - -

Iskra starts to clear some of the boughs over the houses, but did ask for someone to assist by holding the branches he's working on.
Iskra
code by sky
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
"A pleasure to meet you," Hadama noted of the younger man, nodding agreeably as the ancient ritual of introduction was completed. They went their separate ways for awhile, each finding projects for improving the village's safety in the winter season, and when they reconvened Liam led them to their first set of tasks.

It was the area that the mermanta had noted, and he tilted his head in gratitude for Iskra taking the difficult task of climbing the trees and removing their limbs. "I will handle the snow," he assured the humans. First he reached up with his magic from the chilly stream, wrapping his Water Manipulation around the snow with thirty feet and shifting it down to dissolve into the sleepy river. Once all of the snow he could reach easily had been cleared he gathered his magic and drew the water beneath him upwards, lifting himself higher so that he could stretch his magic again, slowly and thoroughly cleaning the higher branches of their heavy loads.

Hadama uses his Water Manipulation to remove the snow from the trees
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Hadama's magic was well-suited to removing the snow, and his work left Liam free to assist Iskra. Iskra with that nat 20 had no trouble at all scaling the trees despite the ice and snow. He was easily able to chop the boughs. Liam, however, was not so lucky. He was not as adept at climbing as the woodcutter, and his attempt to follow the young man and hold the boughs was shaky at best. For the most part, he managed; but on the last bough, he lost his grip, tumbling from the tree to land on his back in the snow.

The sudden blow took his breath away, and he wheezed and coughed as he sat up, flushed with embarrassment. When he'd regained his breath, he looked sheepishly at his companions. "Sorry," he muttered. When he looked around, his heart sank: the bough he'd been supporting had fallen onto one of the houses below, damaging the roof. The residents had come running outside and were now yelling at Iskra, irate. Liam hurried to the residents, explaining and calming, and once he had assured them that they would fix the roof, they returned inside with only a few grumbles.

"Right," Liam said to his companions. "We need to fix that roof. Iskra, can we use some of the wood we've chopped to repair it? In the meantime, Hadama, could you take a look at the slippery railings to the west?"

------

Round 3!

Liam and Iskra need to fix the roof, while Liam has asked Hadama to fix the slippery railings (because water magic). No post order!
Liam
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
Hadama's magic extended to snow and water, but not, alas, to gravity. By the time he realized Liam was falling it was too late to intervene, and he watched from his place in the nearest stream to be sure the other man wasn't hurt from his mishap. He couldn't really see the damage from his angle, but the angry voices that carried through the still Deepfrost air quickly shed light on what had happened, and the mermanta swam as close as he could to offer his support to his companions. They had meant well, and he was relieved to hear that Liam intended to fix the unfortunate roof.

"Yes," he agreed to his own task, acknowledging his aquatic limitations with a brief inclination of his head.

Swimming to the west, he soon found the railings he'd spotted earlier and set about using his magic to melt the ice and direct the water back into the stream. He swam slowly, de-icing all of the railings and stairs he could reach with his magic as he worked his way back towards the roofing crew.

Hadama uses his magic to de-ice the railings and stairs within 30 feet of the stream!
Liam Dawson

Change author:
Liam was fortunate that nothing but his pride was injured, but it was still a pain to have to repair the roof. Fortunately, Iskra had plenty of wood that they could use, and they got to work as quickly and efficiently as possible to repair the mistake. Time moved quickly as the pair cleared away debris and worked diligently to repair any holes in the roof. When they'd finished, Liam checked in with the owners of the home, who were still quite grouchy, but seemed content with their repairs. With another apology, Liam left them to their day.

At some point, Iskra had disappeared - not that Liam blamed him. He hadn't signed up for a roof repair, and for all the soldier knew, the other man had previous commitments in the area. He was relieved to find Hadama back at the riverbank, indicating that he hadn't been abandoned in his efforts to make the area safer. "Thank you for your help, Hadama," the soldier said, inclining his head gratefully as he joined the merking by the water. "It is greatly appreciated. Is there anything I can do for you in return for your help?"
Liam
the Tidebreaker

Change author:
His magic made the work go more easily than it otherwise might have, a fact which the mermanta was aware of, with the certainty of one who had been without magic for most of his life. If he had been attempting this task a few years ago he would have struggled from his position in the water to be of any help at all; indeed, he might have been unable to help Liam today in that case.

It made him grateful for his abilities, and the seasons he had spent training and honing them. Truly, he owed Hotaru and her Academy a debt of gratitude for helping him to draw out and cultivate the trickles of his power into the strong, sturdy current it had become.

Rejoining Liam, he noted Iskra's disappearance but chose not to mention it when he remembered that the woodcutter had joined them at something of a whim. Respecting the other man's other duties, he turned his attention fully to his host and inclined his head in acknowledgment. "I was happy to help," he rumbled, and then considered the offer. "If you visit Torchline, come by the Tide Pool Bar," he suggested. "And ask for me."

With a final nod of farewell the Mer dove back into the icy stream, but however long Liam lingered to watch, the silver head would not reemerge there. Not, at least, for the rest of Deepfrost.

~Fin~