Stone cold
Isla
Maea Valair
Hollowed Grounds Ambassador / Loreseeker

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 22 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 23 - Int:
Played by: Chan Offline
Change author:
MP: 2197
Maea
And time it waits for no one
It heals them when you die
A recipe for anarchy, that. Though perhaps that was part of the balance, and she too ingrained with the very human inclination towards building as a measure of success. The bigger the house, the more sprawling the lineage, the more wealth and respect you gained from peers. Maea could see how being freed from that hamster wheel might be incredibly liberating. A license to wreak havoc because it was part of your religion; a moral getting out of jail free card and the only limit being how long you could go on before someone tired of the destruction and killed you.

"I see. That will take some getting used to. Are there many Ancient ones around? Why come to the Grounds, of all places?" Thinking for a moment, since she had the chance to ask all the questions that crowded on her tongue, she added, "Is the whole turning to stone thing... very common? Did I make it happen somehow?" It seemed very inconvenient. Even more so since they would have to rely on others to be released.
And soon you are forgotten
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Maverick
Theocrat of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 14 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 20 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3601
Dantalion
how the fuck am I supposed to know
Ah, and therein lays the ace in the hole for Danta; for who can tire of you and kill you when you lead the very region and feed its people? Either way, he hums cheerful confirmation to Maea and sits up a little as buildings begin to bleed in around them, heralding an arrival to the Inner Quarter's fringes. "Ancients have flocked here," he admits, feeling proud of that fact and not trying to hide it.

"I chose the Grounds, though, because nobody wanted it. Nobody challenges you for a place no one cares about," he continues, though by the very look of the place, it's already begun to show signs of improvement. Not only that, but in the near distance, Maea will be able to see a halo of light from a large, outdoor bonfire.

As for the becoming stone, Danta glances back at her. "Not common, I'd say. Not unless you don't take care of yourself. If you let yourself become too cold, or if you don't keep your bloodlust sated, then you'll be a statue all over again before long. So be careful out there, yeah?"
if we're in love or if we're in pain?
Code blatently stolen from queen of codes, Sky!
Horns: Diamond - they look very similar to #2 in this image.
Maea Valair

Age: 30 | Height: 156 cm / 5'1 ft | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Maea
Maea drew her gaze from the landscape and the approaching settlement, so different and similar from what she had known. Contemplating the man who undeniably had gone out of his way to help her with a thoughtful purse of her mouth, she struggled lightly. "It's as good as anywhere else, I guess," It was too early to vent her personal grievances with the region. Too soon to form an opinion on the changes, or decide what she wanted to be or do - Maea had just woken up.

"Bloodlust... so that's what it was. I thought I was losing my mind." Tugging on a strand of her hair, brooding lines appeared on the pale brow as Maea stewed over the dark urges that were among her last memories. "Does it happen often?" She would have laughed at the concept of her taking care of herself, but it died halfway through her throat and exited as a huff of air, far too ironic to be funny. At least no one would be surprised to see her take her problems out on others; it was all she was good at.

Her mood darkened the closer they got to the main part of the settled areas. Haunted by all that was different and new and gone, she saw ghosts overlaid on the faces of people they passed, startled every time she recognized someone and aching to see them older than before. Clawed fingers closed tightly around Danta's coat, and after a while she had to look away, tension creeping back into her shoulders.

"What's this Dusklight place you were talking about?" she asked thr Ancient, if only to be distracted from her own thoughts.
A whisper within a sigh
♦ Violence, magic, thievery is permitted with Maea at all times. DM me if you have any ideas ♦
the Maverick

Age: 35 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Dantalion
"Better, by the time I'm done with it," Danta murmurs, shaking his head to dispel the rain starting to drip from his hair and sitting back once more in the wagon. "It's a bit like losing your mind, so you aren't far wrong," he continues, shifting to look at Maea. "It varies from person to person. I can say that you'll stave it off for longer by killing something big and intelligent." Like people, he almost adds, but the allogator he'd taken down with Edmund had been doing him wonders thus far, so... whatever.

As they proceed through the Inner Quarter, Danta soon taps the side of the cart for the driver to stop and let them out. Hopping down, he holds a hand out for Maea to help her and nods towards a set of steps almost tucked between two buildings. "It's my very fine establishment," he croons with a grin, heading straight for the steps. "Catered for all tastes, whatever they happen to be."

Brothel. It's a brothel.

Regardless, he descends the steps into the Last Whisper, the other businesses bustling and lively despite the rain. "You can stay there until you get on your feet, if you want."
Maea Valair

Change author:
Maea
Wonderful. Finally the world had gotten the villain it had wanted the Ascended to be. Bloodthirsty monsters with an urge to kill - how ironic that they should be fine with Ancients but not the Voice's brood, when all the Ascended had wanted was to live in peace. Like wish fulfillment; and Maea spent the remainder of the journey brooding over what it meant for herself. The idea of losing control over herself was awful, and to kill things just because seemed very far removed from the girl she had been.

Shaken out of the dark thoughts as the carriage stopped, Maea accepted Danta's support this time. Following after him on bare feet, her expression took on a surprised cast as he descended into an underground bazaar full of stores and bars. She became uncomfortably aware of her state of undress in the mulling throng, and self conscious under the curious glances people threw her way. She realized why only when they reached the Dusklight; unmistakeable as the brothel it was, Maea found herself blushing furiously at the idea of staying there.

"Very kind of you to offer," she mumbled, careful not to meet the gaze of anyone that might recognize her. "Maybe... just for the night. I used to stay with a friend before... could check if it's still standing." She would have done so right away, honestly, but the weakness of her knees and a gnawing hunger kept her thinking practically. Yes, rational thinking was the way to go.

"If I could trouble you for some clothes to borrow... I won't bother you for long." Now that they were back among people, surely that meant the end of the rescue mission. The leader of a region had to be busy, with far more important things to deal with than one odd newcomer. That she hadn't a clue what to do with herself from here on was beside the point.
A whisper within a sigh
the Maverick

Change author:
Dantalion
It isn't just because, but of course Danta has forgotten to mention the key part about eating what you kill, so... oops. His bad. He's sure Maea will figure it out soon enough. Either way, he leads them through the Last Whisper and into the Dusklight without further delay, keen to dry himself off and get a change of clothes as well. "You don't bother me at all," he assures her with a crooked smile over his shoulder, gesturing for her to take a seat in one of the booths.

With the low lighting and the red decor - not to mention those drinking or otherwise enjoying the establishment's offerings - Maea at least isn't looked at too closely, especially given the man she's accompanied by as she enters. "You get comfortable, I'll do the rest," he croons, obviously happy to help a fellow Ancient.

And true to his word, Maea will be treated to some mulled cider to warm her bones, a hearty meal, and some new clothes before being shown to a room to rest. If she wants company in said room, of course that is arranged as well.

~FIN